IR tests 2 HD Limited lenses vs SMC for flare etc.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,885Gear list
Like?
IR tests 2 HD Limited lenses vs SMC for flare etc.
7 months ago

In case you're wondering if the new HD coatings have any improvements over the original SMC - two

HD Limiteds, 21 and 40 were tested against the original SMC's:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/19/farewell-to-flare-pentaxs-hd-limited-lens-lineup-gets-a-real-world-test

Nic

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,913
Like?
Re: IR tests 2 HD Limited lenses vs SMC for flare etc.
In reply to solarider, 7 months ago

solarider wrote:

In case you're wondering if the new HD coatings have any improvements over the original SMC - two

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/19/farewell-to-flare-pentaxs-hd-limited-lens-lineup-gets-a-real-world-test

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the link.

What I see is not enough for me to get rid of my current Limiteds but I might just buy the HD 20-40mm Limited zoom sometime in the future.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,499Gear list
Like?

Flare is the most obvious, you can just pick resolution and bokeh, about 5% improvement would be my guess. Like Ron I won't be upgrading what I have.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,885Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 7 months ago

That is a fair improvement on the flare test, though I'm sure most of us will keep what we already have

brandrx wrote:

solarider wrote:

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the link.

What I see is not enough for me to get rid of my current Limiteds but I might just buy the HD 20-40mm Limited zoom sometime in the future.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

-- hide signature --

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, the rational mind is a faithful servant.
We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,650Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 7 months ago

ozdean wrote:

Flare is the most obvious, you can just pick resolution and bokeh, about 5% improvement would be my guess. Like Ron I won't be upgrading what I have.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

The DA 15 Ltd is the one that is better as an CMS from the test i've seen on the other pentax forum due to it's sunstar effect at small aperture compared to the ne HD.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?

Bodes well for the new lenses they announce that will likely have the new coating.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads