Like?
Ironwork
6 months ago

dotjon
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Re: Ironwork
In reply to Mark Kanawati, 6 months ago

Beautiful ironwork, but the dress is a total disaster and while completely ruining the shot with it's horrific colours, it also diverts attention from the less than perfect lighting, posing and background selection.

dotjon's gear list:dotjon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 982
Like?
In reply to dotjon, 6 months ago

dotjon wrote:

Beautiful ironwork, but the dress is a total disaster and while completely ruining the shot with it's horrific colours, it also diverts attention from the less than perfect lighting, posing and background selection.

Had a look at your website. You are in no position to criticize. Very very average

dotjon
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, 6 months ago

bigdaddave wrote:

dotjon wrote:

Had a look at your website. You are in no position to criticize. Very very average

How are my photos any way relevant to the topic here? What I shoot doesn't have any effect on the lighting, background, pose, or that dreaded dress of the image in OP- which I'm criticizing here. Instead of making general remarks of someone's output. Not his portfolio or his photographic skill, just this photo.

And it has flat lighting (subject and background too equal in luminance) making it feel like shot under normal room lights, her pose seems unnatural and mildly uncomfortable, and the way her hair flows on her right side disrupts her beautiful profile, and the windows on the background just make the photo confusing and introduce even more clashing colours.

So Dave, do you disagree with my remarks, or do you just think that all feedback needs to be positive and reacted emotionally?

Furthermore what exactly makes you the judge then by your own irrational criterias- do you even take photos?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
dotjon
Like?

Also note that a comment on the dress is obviously purely subjective and often not something under the photographer's control- it might have been chosen by the client, model or a stylist... but it's still not something anyone should be wearing

andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?

I have noticed a definite increase in empty compliments on DPR lately and think that for the most part your criticism was valid. Perhaps the delivery could do with some polishing though

I also like your flickr page. Not average at all.

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
johnierebel
Contributing MemberPosts: 845
Like?

There was iron work in the picture?

Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?

My jaw almost dropped to the floor but it ran into something on the way down.

My word what a beautiful and perfect picture.

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Serickmetz
Like?

dotjon wrote:

Holy hotdogs son, slow down now, that dress is gorgeous and simply enhances the already brilliance of this shot.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
daRRski
Contributing MemberPosts: 926Gear list
Like?

I'm probably least qualified on this forum to comment on light and composition...this picture just works for me...great shot of a beautiful woman

daRRski's gear list:daRRski's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 +20 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,790Gear list
Like?

I think the desired intent of the photo needs to be considered as well. The model has her face bladed to the shot and partially-obscured by the shadow of her hair. This might be completely intentional. She (or the photographer) might not like a feature and therefore posed and lit her in such a way to minimize it.

I don't like the aesthetics of the shot (IMHO it is boring and cliche, not that I haven't done my own share of boring-and-cliche shots) and would not post it as something to show off for my own work... but it says nothing about the technical expertise of the photographer without him telling us more about it. It may be what he was asked for with many variables that are beyond his control, like the dress. It may have met the client's needs perfectly, if not a piece of artwork that stands by itself for general appreciation.

If we are to go by the title, then he could have used more DoF to encompass all of the ironwork. And he could have gotten all the obstructions out of the way before he decided to shoot.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

Mark Kanawati wrote:

Mark - you have a real gift in terms of selecting your models and overall I like the image. It is a little busy between the dress and railing - maybe some selective use of light to focus attention on her face and upper body? You could easily do this in Photoshop. And I think the composition could be improved. The upper left corner of the image in particular is dead space and might be fixed by cropping tighter to your subject.

But those are mostly nits. Do you have any more photos of her?

Serickmetz
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, 6 months ago

24Peter wrote:

Do you have any more photos of her?

Haha you sly dog you. Ty for sneaking that question in, lol.

Mark Kanawati
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, 6 months ago

Sure I have more photos...

I do agree with quite a few of the comments about the posing and the flat lighting... but as always when you are a beginner, in a rush and the model is not really a model this is what you get...

I enjoyed reading the comments and on many occasions I do learn quite a bit.

Here are the photos (taken in 2012 when I was a beginner) to keep everyone occupied : )

24Peter wrote:

Mark Kanawati wrote:

Mark - you have a real gift in terms of selecting your models and overall I like the image. It is a little busy between the dress and railing - maybe some selective use of light to focus attention on her face and upper body? You could easily do this in Photoshop. And I think the composition could be improved. The upper left corner of the image in particular is dead space and might be fixed by cropping tighter to your subject.

But those are mostly nits. Do you have any more photos of her?

polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?

Beautiful photo, nice colors too!

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads