Fast normal prime lens for Pentax?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
SpyderDoom
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Fast normal prime lens for Pentax?
9 months ago

Hello!

I've just discovered the Pentax DSLRs and I like very much the idea of a proper pentaprism viewfinder and the weather/dust/freeze resistant design.

Can you tell me what is the equivalent lens of the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 for Pentax? Is there any weather resistant design?

Thank you very much!

Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Fast normal prime lens for Pentax?
In reply to SpyderDoom, 9 months ago

Pentax DA 35 2.4 . That's the cheap one ( but very good ) . PLastic construction . Circa 170 new , often on sale.

or the Llimited ( name of this series of primes ): DA 35 2.8 MAcro Limited. Top construction; Macro capability. A bit pricey at ciirca $700 new.

Pentax does not have a 35 that opens @ 1.8 ( I suspect you you have the NIkon prime ? )

Cheers

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sumx4182
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

SpyderDoom wrote:

Hello!

I've just discovered the Pentax DSLRs and I like very much the idea of a proper pentaprism viewfinder and the weather/dust/freeze resistant design.

Can you tell me what is the equivalent lens of the Sony DT 35mm f/1.8 for Pentax? Is there any weather resistant design?

Thank you very much!

Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art!

Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?

SpyderDoom wrote:

Hello!

Thank you very much!

Welcome!

Sony DT 35 mm f/1.8 SAM: 170 grams
http://www.lenstip.com/305.11-Lens_review-Sony_DT_35_mm_f_1.8_SAM_Summary.html
http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/646-sony35f18dt?start=2

Yes, there are equivalent or better lenses for Pentax:

Pentax smc DA 35 mm f/2.4 AL: 124 grams
http://www.lenstip.com/299.11-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_DA_35_mm_f_2.4_AL_Summary.html
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/598-pentax_35_24?start=2

Pentax smc FA 35 mm f/2 AL: 195 grams
http://www.lenstip.com/254.11-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_FA_35_mm_f_2_AL_Summary.html
http://www.photozone.de/pentax/123-pentax-smc-fa-35mm-f2-al-photozone-review--test-report?start=2

The weather resistant design makes more sense on zoom lenses, because you don't change prime lenses in heavy weather. Nevertheless, there are also some prime lenses (55mm, 100mm macro, 200mm, 300mm) from Pentax which are weather resistant.

Cheers

Anton

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,797Gear list
Like?
In reply to sumx4182, 9 months ago

Or Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART for about half as much since it isn't full frame coverage.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Sanjeev Das
Contributing MemberPosts: 827Gear list
Like?

FA 31 f/1.8 Limited

DA 35 f/2.8 Limited

Sanjeev Das's gear list:Sanjeev Das's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha 7R Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
SpyderDoom
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?

Thank you all. I'm considering the Pentax K-50 as my first DSLR ever, among the entry level ones from Canon, Nikon and Sony. It looks bombproof.

Should I get the body only (with what aftermarket lens?), go for the basic or the double kit?

fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?

SpyderDoom wrote:

Thank you all. I'm considering the Pentax K-50 as my first DSLR ever, among the entry level ones from Canon, Nikon and Sony. It looks bombproof.

Should I get the body only (with what aftermarket lens?), go for the basic or the double kit?

It depends if a weather resistant system is that important for you. You can get a K50 and the 18-135WR kit as an all around WR kit already.

But if it was me, I'd get the K50 and 18-55WR just for the sake of having a WR kit if needed and get a Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 Contemporary if I wanted something more versatile and with better IQ.

Plus don't forget those beautiful vintage Pentax primes like the SMC-M 50mm f1.4 and f1.7 (SMC-A too) and the Super Takumars like the 55mm f1.8. I just love how my SMC-M 50mm f1.4 renders and probably one of the main reasons why the prime lens from Canikon does not really rock my boat (except for that Otus)

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,798Gear list
Like?
Well, there is the 31....

Pentax's normal fast prime is the 31/1.8 Limited, a spectacular lens by all accounts. It's a premium lens, so it's not cheap.

I'm not sure how practical normal-length WR primes would be - the camera isn't WR while you're busy changing lens, so it's still a no-go in rain, snowstoms, sandstorms etc...

If you're new to Pentax, try to get a limited lens, imho they are really worth the cost, and a good reason to shoot Pentax by themselves.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?

there is teh FA 2.0 35 mm. Great lens. and I am selling mine on pentax forum under the name spartan.  I bought the 31 ltd and dont use this anymore.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,576
Like?

SpyderDoom wrote:

I would go with the K-50 with either the single kit 18-55mm WR lens, US $573 and the US $411 DA HD 55-300mm WR for a total of US $984, or the K-50 with the 18-135mm WR kit for US $840. Add a used DA 15mm f4 after that and then add the DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 50mm f1.8 when you can.

Thank you
Russell

JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,915Gear list
Like?
In reply to yesman12, 9 months ago

yesman12 wrote:

there is teh FA 2.0 35 mm. Great lens. and I am selling mine on pentax forum under the name spartan. I bought the 31 ltd and dont use this anymore.

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

Given the specs as requested by the OP, the FA 35mm f/2 is probably the closest comparison. This lens is still very good into the corners wide open (as is to be expected for a full frame), and considerably more solid in build than the f/2.4. It balances very nicely with the K-50.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,735Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

JNR wrote:

Given the specs as requested by the OP, the FA 35mm f/2 is probably the closest comparison. This lens is still very good into the corners wide open (as is to be expected for a full frame), and considerably more solid in build than the f/2.4. It balances very nicely with the K-50.

See a good review of this lens here. I have a copy and find it almost as good as my FA 31mm Limited, although it isn't as solidly built.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +18 more
JNR
JNR
Like?
In reply to Jim King, 9 months ago

Jim King wrote:

See a good review of this lens here. I have a copy and find it almost as good as my FA 31mm Limited, although it isn't as solidly built.

As the various reviews indicate, it is quite consistent in all aspects, all the way to f/2. The build doesn't bother me, but its relatively poor resistance to veiling (loss of contrast against the light) is rather surprising for a modern prime. My much older 50mm f/1.4 (m series) has far superior SMC coatings yielding better contrast, as does the DA 16-45 - which is at its best from 28 to 35mm.

If I ever get a 31 Ltd. - which strikes me as a true "normal," I'd likely sell off the FA 35.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to JNR, 9 months ago

JNR wrote:

Jim King wrote:

See a good review of this lens here. I have a copy and find it almost as good as my FA 31mm Limited, although it isn't as solidly built.

As the various reviews indicate, it is quite consistent in all aspects, all the way to f/2. The build doesn't bother me, but its relatively poor resistance to veiling (loss of contrast against the light) is rather surprising for a modern prime. My much older 50mm f/1.4 (m series) has far superior SMC coatings yielding better contrast, as does the DA 16-45 - which is at its best from 28 to 35mm.

Flare resistance is a strength according to the Lenstip review. That is what I've found as well.

"Work against bright light is definitely a strong point of the tested lens."

http://www.lenstip.com/254.9-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_FA_35_mm_f_2_AL_Ghosting_and_flares.html

The Lenstip review is pretty much a rave:

"If you look closely at the accomplishments of the tested lens’s optics, you can find that it is the best 2/35 class instrument tested by us."

The FA 35 keeps me from buying an FA 31, and keeps me from using my DA 40mm Limited.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,190
Like?

SpyderDoom wrote:

As it's your first DSLR I advise buying just the 18-55 kit lens with it.  Use this lens for a couple of months (at least) until you've learned your camera.  Then analyse the pictures you've taken to find out which focal lengths you use most - or want: you may find you want something wider than 18mm, longer than 55mm or faster than f/3.5-5.6.

I know it seems attractive to cover "every" FL (although the double kit misses the range 8-18mm which is only 10mm but has an area of view range of 5X, which is about the same as the 55-125mm FL range).  The extra FOV at wide angles speaks for itself.  It's less obvious, but often very important, that kit tele-zooms are painfully slow.

Although you've been pointed to some excellent normal primes I think the sensible one to start with is the DA35/2.4.  Because it's so cheap it means you have money in the bank for better lenses once you've decided what you'll want in the longer term.  Someone suggested the 18-135 lens; for about the same price you can get the 18-55WR kit lens, DA35/2.4 and DFA100/2.8WR macro. Note that I'm not saying you should buy this set - that's something to decide in the future.  All I'm saying is don't spend a lot of money until you've built some experience.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

JNR
JNR
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 9 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

JNR wrote:

Jim King wrote:

Flare resistance is a strength according to the Lenstip review. That is what I've found as well.

"Work against bright light is definitely a strong point of the tested lens."

http://www.lenstip.com/254.9-Lens_review-Pentax_smc_FA_35_mm_f_2_AL_Ghosting_and_flares.html

The Lenstip review is pretty much a rave:

"If you look closely at the accomplishments of the tested lens’s optics, you can find that it is the best 2/35 class instrument tested by us."

The FA 35 keeps me from buying an FA 31, and keeps me from using my DA 40mm Limited.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Yes, it does just fine against the light in particular circumstances. Flare as typically tested with specular light (the sun for example) in the frame or near it. This is very different from veiling caused by broad areas of background light that reduce lens contrast significantly and is rarely included in the lens review testing. The FA 35 copes poorly with bright windows in the background or even toward the sides if that light reaches the front element.

You would think this was taken with wide open aperture, but it is stopped down to near-peak lens performance at f/4 (full frame from RAW as shot, except reduced to 25% of original, and minor color temp. correction):

Certainly correctable from a RAW image, but it would be a real challenge to fix from JPEG. I could post many shots like this, but in recent years have avoided using this lens in this kind of situation, so no recent examples. (I have no less than five K-mount lenses that match this focal length and aperture, and all of them would perform significantly better in this situation. That said, the FA 35mm is a better lens in the majority of situations - just not this one.)

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads