Started 9 months ago | Discussions
SIGINT17
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
D4 vs D800E for action sports work [continued]
9 months ago

Some readers wanted examples. See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120749256@N08/with/13233142844/

The lion taken today with D800E. The first tiger taken with D4 about a year ago, and the last tiger taken in India in 1996 with Nikon D8008S {i think]. The first 5 rodeo images were taken with a D4 and all but one [see captions] were taken in the 10 frames per second mode. The second five rodeo pix were taken last weekend with a D800E. Now based on what I see in these images, I have decided for myself. I love the D800E but from now on I'm leaving it home for action shots at the rodeo where the D4 is king!!

SIGINT17's gear list:SIGINT17's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +8 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,489
Like?
Re: D4 vs D800E for action sports work [continued]
In reply to SIGINT17, 9 months ago

Or the D3 or D3s cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,473Gear list
Like?

Yes a fast responsive camera with quick setting changes, rugged and powerful auto focus is the camera to use for fast moving subjects.  I wish it would allow more cropping, but of course that would take more pixels.  The d4 is really a hard working tool that is hard to beat.

Larry

A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259
Like?

SIGINT17 wrote:

Some readers wanted examples. See:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/120749256@N08/with/13233142844/

The lion taken today with D800E. The first tiger taken with D4 about a year ago, and the last tiger taken in India in 1996 with Nikon D8008S {i think]. The first 5 rodeo images were taken with a D4 and all but one [see captions] were taken in the 10 frames per second mode. The second five rodeo pix were taken last weekend with a D800E. Now based on what I see in these images, I have decided for myself. I love the D800E but from now on I'm leaving it home for action shots at the rodeo where the D4 is king!!

Certainly for Rodeo that makes a lot of sense. However for small birds etc. I have not found the D4 (or 1dx for that matter) to have sufficient pixel density unless one is able to get very close (and I seldom can). For these I feel the D800e is actually the better compromise for my needs . The Goldfinch image in your link above I feel shows this point rather well whereas the rodeo ones have superb quality.

-- hide signature --
larrywilson
Like?
In reply to A Owens, 9 months ago

I agree the pixel density of the d4 for birds is low for me because I do crop to get the subject to fill the frame better.  To enable me not to crop as much I use tele converters and have found that the tc 1.4EII works ok for me using a Nikon 500mm lens but the tc 1.7EII makes the af slower and degrades the image more than I like.  Of course you can't beat the operation and speed of the d4 and I do think it works better for sports than for bird photography.

I have started using my d7100 more so that when I crop, I still have enough pixels on the subject.

Larry

A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 9 months ago

larrywilson wrote:

I agree the pixel density of the d4 for birds is low for me because I do crop to get the subject to fill the frame better. To enable me not to crop as much I use tele converters and have found that the tc 1.4EII works ok for me using a Nikon 500mm lens but the tc 1.7EII makes the af slower and degrades the image more than I like. Of course you can't beat the operation and speed of the d4 and I do think it works better for sports than for bird photography.

I have started using my d7100 more so that when I crop, I still have enough pixels on the subject.

Larry

Yes the speed of operation, superiority of AF and high ISO of the D4 are superb for low light and action.

I am interested in your use of the 7100. What lens are you using on it and what ISO can you use it to without the loss of fine detail? In the case of the 800e with the 600mm I feel that 1600 is the highest ISO before I start to lose the fine detail that makes a good large print. Maybe 1800 if the planets are aligned.

-- hide signature --
larrywilson
Like?
In reply to A Owens, 9 months ago

Actually the d7100 isn't that bad up to around an iso of 1600 and under the right conditions maybe a little higher.  Here's a couple I took this morning with my Nikon 500mm f4.0 vr lens at an iso of 1250 at 1/1000 at an f4.0 (wide open).

Larry

bird 1

bird 2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads