Old Rig test with K01

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,516Gear list
Like?
Old Rig test with K01
9 months ago

Cleaning the closets... I found my old tele rig that I made some 30 years ago, so I thought I'd give it a try with the K01, not exactly the "birding tool of choice", for some handheld shots.  It's a dark grey day today, but the rig shows some good potential.  Though the K01 has no port for external trigger, the rig does have a switch (red) which given the proper end, could be used with a DSLR to trigger the camera from the gun grip. Now that I tried it, and found it to be working rather well, I may adapt it with a proper mounting plate.  With the K01, since I can't use the trigger, manual focus override isn't an option as I'd need 3 hands !... , so I have to rely on AF solely, which isn't the best.  I think with a K03 and the proper adapter to use the remote trigger port, it would work nicely, albeit, loosing the water resistance with the door left opened, which is rather dumb as design goes, I never understood that one !.... but I don't have a K03    so it's a mood point for now .... oh well...

And of course the resulting easy shots, handheld:

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,988
Like?
Re: Old Rig test with K01
In reply to rogerstpierre, 9 months ago

Nice rig Roger.

If you really want to use that rig with a way to trigger the K-01 from that trigger on the handle then read what I've written at

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51967953

I've posted these instructions over the years but not many have been interested. It seems to me that your rig is the perfect use for my Modified Wired IR Remote.

Cheers.

Ron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rogerstpierre
Like?
In reply to brandrx, 9 months ago

brandrx wrote:

Nice rig Roger.

If you really want to use that rig with a way to trigger the K-01 from that trigger on the handle then read what I've written at

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51967953

I've posted these instructions over the years but not many have been interested. It seems to me that your rig is the perfect use for my Modified Wired IR Remote.

Cheers.

Ron

Hum, there's a thought, TX Ron, I might just do that. I have one of those cheap Taiwan universal remote, which means that the rig could work with many other brands.

-- hide signature --

Roger

Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,440Gear list
Like?

rogerstpierre wrote:

Cleaning the closets... I found my old tele rig that I made some 30 years ago, so I thought I'd give it a try with the K01, not exactly the "birding tool of choice", for some handheld shots.

Cool rig. As soon as I saw your setup I thought of the Carry Speed LCD viewfinder. That would bump up performance immensely.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,768Gear list
Like?

Interesting !

Quite good, with some practice you will get better !

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Greyser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,820Gear list
Like?

Quite impressive. And +1 for LCD viewfinder (I do have CarrySpeed one too, but haven't used K-01 for many months)

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Daedbird
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Weathersealing

On whether or not you lose weather resistance with a wired remote trigger - I think you would not - If you look at a K-3, the port for the wired release has its own door, and outside the actual port, there is no opening under that port. The port is also created so it looks like it is sealed if you have something plugged in (the mic and headphone ports also look like they would keep out everything but a heavy rain out if plugged into).

This design dates back to the K-7, which is why I want to get one for doing time-lapse - throw a WR lens on, and battery grip, and you have a nearly sealed rig for long outdoor shots.......

rogerstpierre
Like?
Re: Weathersealing
In reply to Daedbird, 9 months ago

Daedbird wrote:

On whether or not you lose weather resistance with a wired remote trigger - I think you would not - If you look at a K-3, the port for the wired release has its own door, and outside the actual port, there is no opening under that port. The port is also created so it looks like it is sealed if you have something plugged in (the mic and headphone ports also look like they would keep out everything but a heavy rain out if plugged into).

This design dates back to the K-7, which is why I want to get one for doing time-lapse - throw a WR lens on, and battery grip, and you have a nearly sealed rig for long outdoor shots.......

TX Deadbird for the clarification, I still shoot the K10D or K01. That is very good, and didn't realize since DPR preview fails to show that, an important feature IMO.

-- hide signature --

Roger

flektogon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300
Like?

It reminds me the Russian Zenith (+ the Tair lens?) "gun" camera. But in my opinion using the K-01 in such arrangement doesn't make sense, just use your DSLR (if you have one).

rogerstpierre
Like?
In reply to flektogon, 9 months ago

flektogon wrote:

It reminds me the Russian Zenith (+ the Tair lens?) "gun" camera. But in my opinion using the K-01 in such arrangement doesn't make sense, just use your DSLR (if you have one).

You are right flektogon, but for me it's a toss up between K10D and the K01, both with limitations of their own. With the K10D, it means ISO400 max and 10Mpix, with the K01, no viewfinder, no release cable, slow temperamental AF, so the choice depends on conditions. On a cloudy day in the forest, forget the K10D for e.g.

-- hide signature --

Roger

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads