An obituary for my 12-50mm

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
drpoop
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
An obituary for my 12-50mm
9 months ago

So I did it. I sold my 12-50mm kit lens for $250 and its now aiding in the purchase of a shinny new 12-40mm!

I enjoyed the 12-50mm very much, I always felt I had a friend in that lens. It didn't need me to baby it and I never expected much from it, but was always surprised at the results I did get with it. I ended up printing out quite a few captures from that lens, with many positive comments from friends and family. That says a lot, considering I had planned on selling it as soon as I got my EM5. But no. Almost 2 years later, I finally parted with it. There are many on this forum that understand the 12-50mm for what it is... a great all around performer. It wasn't terribly sharp or fast, but what it did was give you the freedom to be ready for most shooting situations. A walkabout lens. A travel lens. A video lens. A macro lens. Portrait and landscape. I'm sad to see it go.

But, I'm very excited about it's replacement.

drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
I missed mine for about 5 seconds....
In reply to drpoop, 9 months ago

Pretty much the moment I touched the 12-40, I got over the loss of the 12-50.  It's a fantastic lens.  And this is coming from someone who legitimately appreciated what the 12-50 gave me.

There's no need to look back with the 12-40.

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Weegee
Contributing MemberPosts: 992
Like?
Yes there is......
In reply to Wallybipster, 9 months ago

You're starting to add weight that you went to micro 4/3 to avoid! And I'll bet that only 20%, if that many, of your pictures will be taken at f/2.8. Let's face it, you have GAS ( like I have, once in a while! ).

Enjoy the extra weight and girth.

Wallybipster
Contributing MemberPosts: 871Gear list
Like?
Sharpness throughought the range is worth it
In reply to Weegee, 9 months ago

Weegee wrote:

You're starting to add weight that you went to micro 4/3 to avoid! And I'll bet that only 20%, if that many, of your pictures will be taken at f/2.8. Let's face it, you have GAS ( like I have, once in a while! ).

That extra weight and girth is so worth having a long end that doesn't have to be stopped down like crazy to get decent results.  I think that's what I like the best, not necessarily the 2.8.  It's good everywhere in the range.  I'll admit, if you do most of your shooting around 12mm and F4 or above, the 12-50 is fine.  The 12-50 was good at 12, but much worse as you zoomed out.  I doubt the 10mm extra reach even matters much at that point, when I see how much I can crop on the tele end with the 12-40.

Sure, for my purposes a lighter, variable aperture 12-40 would've been nice to be a bit lighter.  But considering I lug the 12-40 just fine up mountains around my shoulder, the extra girth and weight is fine for me.

If I was really wanting to go light, I'd skip the 12-50 all together.  It's sure nice to have a continuum of options available. 

Wallybipster's gear list:Wallybipster's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,783
Like?
Re: An obituary for my 12-50mm

drpoop wrote:

So I did it. I sold my 12-50mm kit lens for $250 and its now aiding in the purchase of a shinny new 12-40mm!

I enjoyed the 12-50mm very much, I always felt I had a friend in that lens. It didn't need me to baby it and I never expected much from it, but was always surprised at the results I did get with it. I ended up printing out quite a few captures from that lens, with many positive comments from friends and family. That says a lot, considering I had planned on selling it as soon as I got my EM5. But no. Almost 2 years later, I finally parted with it. There are many on this forum that understand the 12-50mm for what it is... a great all around performer. It wasn't terribly sharp or fast, but what it did was give you the freedom to be ready for most shooting situations. A walkabout lens. A travel lens. A video lens. A macro lens. Portrait and landscape. I'm sad to see it go.

But, I'm very excited about it's replacement.

I hang on to my 12-50 because I like to have a backup lens in the standard range.

(I am sooo glad I did not sell my 14-54 because I used it extensively when the 12-60 broke down).

But truth be told : it has not been on my camera anymore since I got the 12-40.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Anthony Alongi
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 9 months ago

So this is a timely post as I was just about to post a question about ACQUIRING the 12-50.  I am in the process of selling off my Nikon V1 kit and will be purchasing a E-M10.  I was thinking of buying a reburished 12-50 to tide me over until I can afford the 12-40, which I know that I will eventually buy.  I just cannot swing both the camera and the lens at the moment.   I am someone who shoots A LOT at a 24mm equivalent length so the 12mm vs. 14mm of a normal kit lens is prettty important.  I could also go with the new panny 12-32, but it actually looks a bit small to me on the E-M10.   So that is the question,  would y'all recommend this lens as a place to start until I can upgrade or would you recommend a different strategy.  Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

Anthony Alongi's gear list:Anthony Alongi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,418Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anthony Alongi, 9 months ago

Anthony Alongi wrote:

So this is a timely post as I was just about to post a question about ACQUIRING the 12-50. I am in the process of selling off my Nikon V1 kit and will be purchasing a E-M10. I was thinking of buying a reburished 12-50 to tide me over until I can afford the 12-40, which I know that I will eventually buy. I just cannot swing both the camera and the lens at the moment. I am someone who shoots A LOT at a 24mm equivalent length so the 12mm vs. 14mm of a normal kit lens is prettty important. I could also go with the new panny 12-32, but it actually looks a bit small to me on the E-M10. So that is the question, would y'all recommend this lens as a place to start until I can upgrade or would you recommend a different strategy. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Tony A.

The 12-50 would be a good place to start, it's light, weather-sealed (less of an advantage in combination with the 'M10, but even so) and it has a great range. I like it, but I don't use it a lot because of its size (it isn't that big, but compared to the other micro four-thirds lenses it is) and its speed at the long end.

If you know for sure that you'll get the 12-40, you won't have much use for the 12-50 after that. I don't know if you plan to try to sell it on, but I would perhaps instead consider getting a lens that you'd still have a use for even after you get the 12-40. So, while I'm not saying you'd be wrong to start with the 12-50, I'll just going to go over what I'd consider good alternatives to it.

Maybe the Panasonic 12-32 looks small, but it would also make the camera pretty much pocketable and allow you to take it with you in situations where you'd otherwise leave the camera behind. Perhaps for those situations where you hadn't really planned to do any photography, or perhaps for social occasions where the smaller the camera, the less the interference.

Another lens to consider is the Olympus 9-18. It'd give you the 24 mm equivalent field of view, but would also allow for even wider shots, still in a smaller and lighter package than the 12-40.

Finally you might want to consider a fast prime as your starting point. The Olympus 12 mm is very well regarded, and while it isn't that much faster than the 12-40, a stop is still a stop, and it's not only small and light, it's pretty like a little jewel, too!

mring1
Contributing MemberPosts: 883Gear list
Like?
The 12-32 is preferable to the 12-50...
In reply to Anthony Alongi, 9 months ago

for everything but the WR and the pseudo-macro.  And this comes from someone who owns and uses his 12-50 with some frequency.  I normally keep my old 14-54 on an E-M5, but use the 12-50 when I need the extra width (and it's a very visible difference) or I want the pseudo-macro, or I'm giving the camera to someone who isn't experienced enough to deal with the 14-54's focusing delay.

Given that you're getting an E-M10 - a very compact camera - the Pany 12-32 would be a perfect complement and would be a lens you'd keep after you got the 12-40.   A great jacket pocket kit.  The downside is the cost.  The 12-32 will easily cost you $100 or more over a 12-50.

My 12-50 is at its best from 12-25, stopped down 1/2 stop, so speed between the two is probably equivalent.  Again, you can't have a super compact zoom with a 2.8 max aperture, so you already know the tradeoff.  I got my lens + E-M5 18 months ago for $1,000...so for me (at the time) it was like getting the lens for free.  So, I have no regrets.   But today....with the availability of the 12-32...IMHO...it's a pretty clear choice if you can swing the extra cost.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Ejvaccaro
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
The 12-40mm is seductive...

I am going on 2 years with the E-M5.  I bought mine with the 12-50mm.  It was nice for a while but too slow for my tastes.  I then bought a nice used 14-54mm MK II.  This was my go to lens even with its somewhat slow focusing performance.  It was bright, was usable for most situations, and gave great sharp pictures.  I also purchased a used 14-150mm for when I only took one lens with me.

On Nov 29, 2013 the 12-40mm f2.8 showed up at my door.  It has been the #1 lens on the camera ever since and I am loving the quality of its photos, its lightning fast AF, and its build quality.  I still have a 40-150mm R that I use for telephoto but it is soon to be given its walking papers.

This past weekend I put the 14-54 along with the MMF-2, the 12-50, and the 14-150 up on ebay and in a quick three days got enough cash to pay for the 12-40.  I am now eyeing a Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8 and possibly the 100-300mm to round out the threesome.  This is the killer package for just about any photo situation I can think of for my needs.

So don't lament the old glass.  It isn't in the same class.

Ed

Ejvaccaro's gear list:Ejvaccaro's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +11 more
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,354Gear list
Like?
As I've written many times in the past...the 12-50 is...

...a lens that winds up being in a love/hate relationship with me (I have two of 'em).  Sure, there are times when you wish you had more optical clarity.  And then there are times when the images you get back are just absolutely superb.  Plus the lens is light and functions perfectly.  I haven't invested in the 12-40 as of yet - but that's eventually coming.  But I do keep the 12-50 on my E-M5 and sometimes switch back and forth between it and the Panny 14-140.  But on the whole...the 12-50 can really pleasantly surprise you at times with its gorgeous imagery.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P330 +30 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes there is......

Weegee wrote:

I think something like 90% of my pictures are taken at f/2.8 or larger. Everybody's different.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +3 more
berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 9 months ago

Hi

I have thge Pana 35-100 (instead of the smaller alternatives) and over 90% of the images I take are at f2.8. I reserve the right to change that ratio as time goes by though.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 35-100mm f2.8, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2 macro, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300, LX3)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +2 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Weegee wrote:

And I'll bet that only 20%, if that many, of your pictures will be taken at f/2.8.

52% of my pictures in 2014 seem to be at apertures faster than f/2.0. Those pictures include all the ones taken with the 12-32 which can't do better than f/3.5.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?
In reply to Macx, 9 months ago

Macx wrote:

Another lens to consider is the Olympus 9-18. It'd give you the 24 mm equivalent field of view, but would also allow for even wider shots, still in a smaller and lighter package than the 12-40.

I'll put in another plug for the 9-18mm.  It's an amazing little lens.  Mine is nearly as sharp as the 12mm prime in the center and sharper in the corners.  I've debated getting the 12-40mm, as I know it's a great lens, but the 9-18mm is just plain fun to use and it's tiny - for me that's what m43 is all about.   I also have a several primes I carry depending on the situation.  I''ve actually been debating selling the 12mm prime as in good light the 9-18mm is every bit as good - and maybe better.

My experience with the 12-50mm wasn't good.  I was very disappointed in it.  Mine was unacceptabley soft.  It's way too expensive of a lens to be that soft.   Others seem to like it, though, so maybe I had a bad copy.  Opinions on that lens vary a great deal.   Based on reviews and not actually owning one, I'd opt for the 12-32 over the 12-50.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
J R R S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,336
Like?

I love it 12-50 is a fine good light lens... ok its a bit poor in overcast days @ 30-50mm....

But when its good its a very nice lens... and can't fault the weather seal - I poped mine under the surface of the water in a river - was no issue!

No lack of detail...

A very water proof lens!

Mind you I would swap it in a heart beat for the 12-40 F2.8 if it was a straight trade!

Super486
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

It's always a sad day when we sell a lens we are fond of. Many memories are associated with that lens and we have been used to the handling, mechanisms, particular features, subjective feeling of the lens in our hands, its rendering of the scenes...

It might not be the sharpest lens nor the smallest lens, yet it's been our lens. The fact you thought that lens deserves an obituary is very respectable. In fact, I'm deeply impressed by your sentence

"I always felt I had a friend in that lens"

Now, don't cry. Just hope the new owner will enjoy your 12-50 as much as you did.

primeone
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
In reply to Super486, 9 months ago

Getting $250 for yours was a great move.  I just bought a refurb from Olympus for $199.

I'm till undecided how it will fit in, but I wasn't using a 28mm/f2.5 Panasonic, so I sold it and jumped on the 12-50.  I didn't have a 12mm solution, now I do.  The water resistance is a plus (on my em-5), so it will probably go in the travel kit. The Pany 14-45mm had been the choice for travel, but could be replaced by the "new" lens.

I'd love to have the 12-40mm, but cost, size and weight, as well as my preference for the 17/20mm fixed focal length probably mean, probably not practical for me.

Enjoy your new lens!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads