B&H Live Video on A7/R....Your thoughts

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
B&H Live Video on A7/R....Your thoughts
8 months ago

First of all thanks to Brian Smith for a great event!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promotion/10662/sony-a7-live-stream-event.html

A couple of things I got from the Sony rep...

Five as yet unannounced lenses for the system are promised this year, and will be announced soon.

Sony is aware of the light leak, but apparently other major cameras have this problem and they are looking into it.

A7 auto focus at 100 milliseconds is twice as fast as A7R at 200 milliseconds...A6000 is even faster, but I forgot the speed.

A7 is better for video...which I sort of already had read.

Brian talked about an adapter from Voigtlander, the Leica M to E VM-E close focus that I wasn't aware of.

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cometsoft
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: B&H Live Video on A7/R....Your thoughts
In reply to KwhyChang, 8 months ago

I was impressed by the presentation.

As for the VM-E adapter, I have one and think it's great.  Used the version 1 Hawk's adapter on my 5N and didn't like the fact that there was no infinity lock.  The Voigtlander feels well engineered with no play and the infinity lock does its job.  Have tested it with 5 Leica lenses and none feel too tight or too loose.

I understand the new Hawk's adapter has an infinity adjustment plus a lock, so that may be worth checking out also.  They're too expensive to get both, so I'll just say that the VME works fine here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,257Gear list
Like?

I got busy and missed this .. however I did get an email from B&H .. they are now giving off $460 off a A7 or A7R instead of the $300 promotion.

I'm hesitant in just blasting out the promotion code but if anyone wants it i guess i can give it to them.

Rats, it's one time use only.

They are trying to tempt me, so I hope sony comes through tomorrow with a nice firmware upgrade that convinces me.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
KwhyChang
Like?
In reply to cometsoft, 8 months ago

cometsoft wrote:

I was impressed by the presentation.

As for the VM-E adapter, I have one and think it's great. Used the version 1 Hawk's adapter on my 5N and didn't like the fact that there was no infinity lock. The Voigtlander feels well engineered with no play and the infinity lock does its job. Have tested it with 5 Leica lenses and none feel too tight or too loose.

I understand the new Hawk's adapter has an infinity adjustment plus a lock, so that may be worth checking out also. They're too expensive to get both, so I'll just say that the VME works fine here.

Thanks for your impressions. And also thanks for the heads up on the new Hawk's adapter.

-- hide signature --

Dave

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,257Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

Five as yet unannounced lenses for the system are promised this year, and will be announced soon.

Sony is aware of the light leak, but apparently other major cameras have this problem and they are looking into it.

A7 auto focus at 100 milliseconds is twice as fast as A7R at 200 milliseconds...A6000 is even faster, but I forgot the speed.

Brian talked about an adapter from Voigtlander, the Leica M to E VM-E close focus that I wasn't aware of.

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Dave

did they mention anything about the firmware update tomorrow?

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
KwhyChang
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 8 months ago

rrccad wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

What are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Dave

did they mention anything about the firmware update tomorrow?

No, not that I remember. I'm sure it was a primarily a sales event to get more people into the system and sell more stuff, but it was nice to see some images and discussion from some pros.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Jonathan Breitbart
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 8 months ago

rrccad wrote:

I got busy and missed this .. however I did get an email from B&H .. they are now giving off $460 off a A7 or A7R instead of the $300 promotion.

I'm hesitant in just blasting out the promotion code but if anyone wants it i guess i can give it to them.

Rats, it's one time use only.

They are trying to tempt me, so I hope sony comes through tomorrow with a nice firmware upgrade that convinces me.

I finally pulled the trigger an the a7 with this deal.  The great thing about the promo code is that it works on each bundle you buy (assuming they're all placed in the same order).  So I bought the a7 with FE28-70 kit, added the flash for $98, added the FE35 for $598.  Total came to $2234 after $460 off.

Then I added another bundle - a7 body with LAE-A4 adapter for $98.  Total is $1336 after $460 off.

So all together, I got two a7 bodies, FE28-70, FE35, HVL-F60M, and LAE-A4 for $3570.  I don't need the flash, so I'll sell that and the extra body.  Should be able to get around 1400-1500, combined.  That makes the entire package ~$2100.  Great deal!

Jonathan Breitbart's gear list:Jonathan Breitbart's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
cometsoft
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

One more thing I forgot to mention was they said you could use the 10-18 Nex lens on the A7's and it would fill most of the frame.  I had no idea.  Probably everyone knew this, but I have not been following all the forums and blogs about the a7's.

Love that lens on the 5n and now to get most of its angle on the A7r is just awesome.

MikeManno
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

This is the first time I hear this. I bought the A7r because of less issues with moire and aliasing but I could be wrong.

MikeManno's gear list:MikeManno's gear list
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
Miki's sample photo with 10-18mm/f4 on A7
In reply to cometsoft, 8 months ago

cometsoft wrote:

you could use the 10-18 Nex lens on the A7's and it would fill most of the frame.

Photo taken with E 10-18mm/f4 lens on full-frame A7.

You can take incredible great photos with this combo. I am just learning my style of using this ultra wide angle lens on my A7. Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +22 more
WarrenPeas
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

Well,  I'm happy that B&H was running a sweeter promotional offer on the promotional trade-in for the A7/7R.   I was pleasantly surprised when the amount was lower than expected when I purchased the A7.  Yup, yesterday was a good day!!

WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
KwhyChang
Like?
In reply to MikeManno, 8 months ago

MikeManno wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

This is the first time I hear this. I bought the A7r because of less issues with moire and aliasing but I could be wrong.

I haven't actually used it for video.

I was just reporting on what the "experts" said on the video feed.

-- hide signature --

Dave

MikeManno
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

KwhyChang wrote:

MikeManno wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

I haven't actually used it for video.

I was just reporting on what the "experts" said on the video feed.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave and for keeping us informed :-). I know, it only surprised me because all videotests I have seen were very close or in favor of the A7R.

MikeManno's gear list:MikeManno's gear list
Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
MDRCHINA
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?

I am heavily invested in Sony with the a99, a65, with  24mm, 50mm, 85mm and 24-70mm Zeiss glass. I have recently acquired and begun shooting with the a7r with both the FE 35mm and 55mm. The image quality is stunning and it is a pleasure to walk around NYC with such a light and capable system. So why are we being kept in the dark about what FE lens models are coming and when by Sony? Just tell us straight up-- so that we may budget for the day. After all--I bought the system expecting to build out a Sony FE Zeiss system. So Sony dispense with the FE lens pole dance and speak straight to the issue--that would be real customer service. IMO.

MDRCHINA's gear list:MDRCHINA's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Sony SLT-A65 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 Nikon D600 +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads