Best way to sell used XE-1 body in US?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?
Best way to sell used XE-1 body in US?
4 months ago

I just confirmed my X-T1 is arriving tomorrow! I haven't sold a lot of used camera gear and wondered if anyone has suggestions regarding selling a low usage (excellent condition) X-E1 body? I'm not looking to get the very best price, just something to defray the cost of the X-T1.

thanks for any suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,827
Like?
Re: Best way to sell used XE-1 body in US?
In reply to Dabbler, 4 months ago

Dabbler wrote:

I just confirmed my X-T1 is arriving tomorrow! I haven't sold a lot of used camera gear and wondered if anyone has suggestions regarding selling a low usage (excellent condition) X-E1 body? I'm not looking to get the very best price, just something to defray the cost of the X-T1.

-- hide signature --

Michael

This site has a for sale and wanted forum that many people use to sell their equipment.

Fred Miranda.com is also a good place to buy/sell equipment.

I think ebay is terrible for individuals who are selling their personal items but many people disagree with me.

Try DPR's (this site) for sale and wanted forum first. It's free and if you're giving your camera away, like most people, it should sell fast.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Dabbler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael

Have you not seen the for sale forum here?  You have over a thousand posts so I am surprised you might have missed it, but it is a good section, if you are asking a good price you should get some interest as the X-E1 is stil a great camera, there should be plenty of interest in them still, and since some Fuji members here now know about it, maybe one is in the market for one or even a backup body.  I have two X-E! bodies and as cheap as they are now a lot of people will be grabbing them as a backup.  Nothing like having a lens on each to lesson the times you need to change.

Good luck, I see no problem in it selling soon.

guitarjeff
Like?

Dabbler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael

Also wanted to mention the for sale section over at POTN (Canon forum).  Even though it is a Canon forum all brands seem welcome on the for sale section.  I have sold a bunch of stuff there and here, between the two I can't imagine it lasting too long.  Also it helps if you have all the original packaging and such, that makes a big difference.  The main problem with Ebay is the darn fees, by the time you pay Ebay and paypal you end up losing a lot of money on your item.

Allen Chernack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?

I put mine on this forum/gear for saleebay and Amazon.

No word from this forum or Amazon.  I listed it for $450.  First offer on ebay was $275, not accepted. Next and possibly current buyer offered $350 which is where most are listed. He wants me to ship it to India.  We are discussing that now.  I will let it go for that amount plus shipping. It's been listed almost a month and only two offers.

Good luck

-- hide signature --

tourretired
Travel in RV when not home.

Allen Chernack's gear list:Allen Chernack's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
jfphoto1
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?

I as well have an XE-1 that I would like to sell. Over on FM Forums the XE-1 in top shape is going for $350 and dropping.  I was hopping to get more but I have been watching the price of this camera drop by the day. Best of luck selling. I decided that at this price I would just keep it as a spare body.

jfphoto1's gear list:jfphoto1's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to jfphoto1, 4 months ago

The price drop may slow when the sale is over. I noticed the same trend on epay.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
guitarjeff
Like?
In reply to Allen Chernack, 4 months ago

Allen Chernack wrote:

I put mine on this forum/gear for sale, ebay and Amazon.

No word from this forum or Amazon. I listed it for $450. First offer on ebay was $275, not accepted. Next and possibly current buyer offered $350 which is where most are listed. He wants me to ship it to India. We are discussing that now. I will let it go for that amount plus shipping. It's been listed almost a month and only two offers.

Good luck

-- hide signature --

tourretired

India?   Oh man, be careful with that.  I never send gear this expensive out of the country, far too dangerous.

Yeah, 450 may be pushing it.  I bought two a while back, one at 450 but it was basically new, hadn't even had the strap installed, battery had not been set, just perfect.  The other I paid like 375 for I believe.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to jfphoto1, 4 months ago

Netting about $300 - $350 after all shipping and fees makes it impossible for me to consider selling my XE1, that i paid full price for. Although i have no desire to sell and upgrade, if i did want to upgrade I would keep it as a second body or possibly have it converted to IR. All that aside, this site is a okay place to sell but having listed half a dozen or more items for sale in the past year, at a fair price, i only moved one, a nikon 10-24 lens. So ebay is my choice to move product, but the fees are killer, about 13% paypal and ebay fees plus shipping where ebay gets another 13% cut even if shipping is separate. I hate ebay but use it a lot to buy and sell. Overall, glad it exists.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, 4 months ago

You should be fine shipping to India if you use EMS with tracking or DHL etc.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Les Lammers
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, 4 months ago

I sold a lens to a Canadian buyer. It went to an ebay facility in Louisville, KY. I paid the Priority Mail rate to send it there. Ebay then it to the buyer and billed him/her the additional postage. This appears to be a new service and I don't know if it will work for you.

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505
Like?

Craigslist would be your best bet since there are no fees and the buyer gets to try the camera out before handing over the cash so everyone is happy with the deal. The drawback is that you have to meet with someone in person. I recommend a local coffee shop so you don't have to have someone come over to your home.

I use Craigslist a lot, but I've also sold a lot of stuff on Ebay. If you use Ebay a lot and have a lot of good feedback, you can get a good price for your gear. If you have none or just a couple feedback ratings, you can expect to get around 30% less for your gear.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Have you considered keeping it has a backup, or just giving it to someone you love? It seems that selling an X-E1 in good shape for $300 is not a very good deal. After all, the camera will provide you with the same excellent IQ than the newer cameras...

Matoqui's gear list:Matoqui's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +8 more
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,651Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 4 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Netting about $300 - $350 after all shipping and fees makes it impossible for me to consider selling my XE1, that i paid full price for. Although i have no desire to sell and upgrade, if i did want to upgrade I would keep it as a second body or possibly have it converted to IR. All that aside, this site is a okay place to sell but having listed half a dozen or more items for sale in the past year, at a fair price, i only moved one, a nikon 10-24 lens. So ebay is my choice to move product, but the fees are killer, about 13% paypal and ebay fees plus shipping where ebay gets another 13% cut even if shipping is separate. I hate ebay but use it a lot to buy and sell. Overall, glad it exists.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Ebay fees are awfully high. But, they are now charging a flat $1.00 fee on the shipping charge, instead of 10%. Paypal of course, still get their 2.9% on the shipping amount. I've used Adorama for several items, and always felt like I didn't get much. But, when you figure all the Ebay/Paypal fees, Adorama is probably not all that bad (and I've never felt like I might get scammed as can happen on Ebay). Al, I think your last couple of sentences sum it up for me as well.

I don't live in a very big town, so Craig's List is not a viable alternative for me. It might be a good deal for those that live in heavily populated areas.

-- hide signature --

Steve

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005Gear list
Like?

Dabbler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael

Check with KEH.com and B&H Photo.  If you sell on Ebay I VERY highly recommend you open a PayPal credit card account to tie to your Ebay account. It is not instant, but does the best IMO to protect you as a buyer or seller. Ebay takes 10% up to $250 and PayPal takes 3% so you basically need to get 15% - 20% more than you want to get what your bottom line is.

Past that you may want to keep your XE-1 because you will be lucky to get $200 - $250 for the body used.  You can sell a $50,000 new car a month later that has been driven twice and you will not get full price, it is still a used car.

Of course you can just look past it and take it for what it is a couple hundred in the pocket. The same fate will befall the XT-1 and actually if you sell that XT-1 a month later you may get $600 - $700, not the $1,300 you paid for it. Everything is affected.

Knowing that and I am in a position to wait for the next Fuji X deal because I want to see the 16-55, 18-135, 55-140 and 56 prime on that list to make it worth it to me.

I sold my XE-1 BEFORE the XT-1 was officially announced because we all knew Fuji X rebates were on the way and why have the XE-1 retain its value when you have the XE-2 and now another new Fuji X body.

Just a FYI when it comes time to sell the XT-1 for the XT-3 and that is why it may be worth keeping the XE-1 as a "Transition" body for the XT-1. Just put the camera away and you will always be able to use your Fuji lenses and accessories (most of them) if you stay committed to the Fuji X system and will update the XT-1 later.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Allen Chernack
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, 4 months ago

Yes, I'm being careful. Told him I would only ship in U.S.  With ebay, shipping happens after money is received.

-- hide signature --

tourretired

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 4 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ebay fees are awfully high. But, they are now charging a flat $1.00 fee on the shipping charge, instead of 10%. Paypal of course, still get their 2.9% on the shipping amount.

Steve

Good to know they modified their fees. I assume that $1 is the highest, not fixed, as that could prohibit small value sales, like purchase of a soft shutter button for $5 shipped. Anyway, i will check that out. I sold a few thousand dollars worth of gear last year on ebay so lower fees helps. I have a perfect raring over the last nine years on ebay but always feared Craiglists - meeting in a parking lot where one guy has the cash and the other has the goods, can make for a bad situation. I did meet a buyer once at a Dunkin Donuts for an ebay sale of a iMac where the buyer asked to save the shipping fees and drive to meet me. I got there early and while i waited i noticed two other deals going down which i assumed where craiglist transactions.

-- hide signature --

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Allen Chernack
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

Lots of thoughts. Thank you all.

I've sold gold coins on ebay and know the drill.  The 13% is a kick in the pants but it gets the job done. I will also only ship in the U.S.

Keeping the X-E1 would cost me another lens or keeping one of my zooms on it.  After using the T1, going back to the E1 is not an option for me. I offered it to wifey who said 'no' so there you go. She likes her point and shoot Sony which has a zoom to 500mm.

I tried Adorama and felt they misled me on the offering price for my old Canon 60D so I turned them down after having shipped it to them.  They did ship back as promised.

I ended up selling the Canon and lenses to a friend who promptly had them stolen at an airport in Portugal. He put his backpack with several cameras down, a no no in airports, looked at something, looked down and it was gone with all his camera gear. Now he is cameraless. No, I won't sell him the E1, he'll just lose it.

So, I'll net $300 which puts some of the $1300 spent on the T1 back in my pocket.

Thanks again for inputs.

-- hide signature --

tourretired

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,022Gear list
Like?

Dabbler wrote:

-- hide signature --

Michael

I paid $1,399 for my X-E1 / XF 18-55mm kit just 13 months ago. When the X-E2 was announced last year, I thought the new sensor and a few of the other changes made it a worthwhile upgrade, and I was planning on selling my X-E1 to help pay for the new camera.

I was thinking, the price of the camera body alone was $999 when I bought it. So I figured if I got $600, or even $550 for the body alone I would be satisfied and consider taking a hit of 45% or so not such a bad thing. But by the time I was ready to do something about it, the market price had dropped way low. A guy at the local camera store, which is a Fuji dealer, offered me $175 for the body alone; and the body today still looks new for all practical purposes.

I'm not prepared to give my camera away for what I consider to be next to nothing. I found a place that will do a dual spectrum IR conversion for $300 that will leave me with a camera that will still function as a normal camera by screw mounting an IR blocking filter to the front filter threads of the lens when I'm wanting a second body to have a different lens mounted and ready to shoot.

In the meantime I've been putting my cash into new Fuji lenses; for what I shoot, the X-E2 won't make any big an improvement over what I get with my current X-E1.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,022Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 4 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

-- hide signature --

Ebay fees are awfully high. But, they are now charging a flat $1.00 fee on the shipping charge, instead of 10%. Paypal of course, still get their 2.9% on the shipping amount.

Steve

Good to know they modified their fees. I assume that $1 is the highest, not fixed, as that could prohibit small value sales, like purchase of a soft shutter button for $5 shipped. Anyway, i will check that out. I sold a few thousand dollars worth of gear last year on ebay so lower fees helps. I have a perfect raring over the last nine years on ebay but always feared Craiglists - meeting in a parking lot where one guy has the cash and the other has the goods, can make for a bad situation. I did meet a buyer once at a Dunkin Donuts for an ebay sale of a iMac where the buyer asked to save the shipping fees and drive to meet me. I got there early and while i waited i noticed two other deals going down which i assumed where craiglist transactions.

-- hide signature --

It's a wonder that Dunkin Donuts doesn't start charging a transaction fee if it's such a popular meeting place.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads