A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Started Mar 18, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Hollander Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

When I can't get out during the dark and rainy days in the winter time I always go and pay a visit to our local Garden Centre. Hope this collection of pictures will cheer us up. 

Bromeliad.  I've read a tutorial on how to use the "Flashlight tool" in CS6. With that in mind I really under exposed the picture to the point where it was almost dark. Time to play now, this is what I came up with. Not to bad for a first time, but the most import end thing was to learn a new way for enhancing your pictures. For you who are interested you can find the "Flash light tool" under Filter go to Render >Lighting Effects. Then in the top left corner scroll down in Custom to Flash light

African Violets.

  I hope you and Mrs. Augustin will like this.  

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,073
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Rob,

Wonderful series.  Flowers are my favorite subjects and you've done these proud!

Murry

-- hide signature --
VisionLight
VisionLight Senior Member • Posts: 3,673
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Rob,

After having lasted for a number of months, many of the blooms in our indoor orchid garden are beginning to fade, so your beautiful portfolio is welcomed. I also always enjoy your framings, simple but very effective with well chosen colors. I've never tried the flashlight feature before (Photoshop CS has SO MANY features), so thanks for the tip. It looks like it can be fun.

Ed

 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

MurryG wrote:

Rob,

Wonderful series. Flowers are my favorite subjects and you've done these proud!

Murry

-- hide signature --

Thank you so much Murry for looking and your comments.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Well done, I do like flower photography because nothing else seems to have such gradients of light and color as flowers do and yours show this perfectly.

Brian

 brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 6,505
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Thank you very much, Rob, for this outstanding and delightful flower images ! My wife was especially attracted by the brown orchid (#2) and decided to get also one

Congratulations,

Augustin

 Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

VisionLight wrote:

Rob,

After having lasted for a number of months, many of the blooms in our indoor orchid garden are beginning to fade, so your beautiful portfolio is welcomed. I also always enjoy your framings, simple but very effective with well chosen colors. I've never tried the flashlight feature before (Photoshop CS has SO MANY features), so thanks for the tip. It looks like it can be fun.

Ed

Thank you Ed for your comments. There is a local orchid grower here, Do I ever love to spend a few hours in there. Unfortunately it's not open to the public.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
four under Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

It sure is nice to see some colour. My flower beds are still covered in snow...the latest in the year since we moved here in the late nineties. Thanks rob.

Brian

 four under's gear list:four under's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

brianj wrote:

Well done, I do like flower photography because nothing else seems to have such gradients of light and color as flowers do and yours show this perfectly.

Brian

Thank you Brian for your comments. Yes, it cheers me up during those rainy and cloudy winter days.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Cybertony Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Hello,

The color & clarity is fantastic and your compositional skills are really outstanding. Very well done!

Take care,

Tony

http://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

 Cybertony's gear list:Cybertony's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Augustin Man wrote:

Thank you very much, Rob, for this outstanding and delightful flower images ! My wife was especially attracted by the brown orchid (#2) and decided to get also one

Congratulations,

Augustin

You're welcome Augustin, I'm happy to hear that your wife like the orchids.

Take care,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

Cybertony wrote:

Hello,

The color & clarity is fantastic and your compositional skills are really outstanding. Very well done!

Take care,

Tony

http://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

Thank you Tony for the kind words. Thanks to you and Kenn I'm now starting to get into birding. So far I love it.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Hollander OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,370
Re: A few more Orchids and Flowers. SX50

four under wrote:

It sure is nice to see some colour. My flower beds are still covered in snow...the latest in the year since we moved here in the late nineties. Thanks rob.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I sure hope you get a lot of warmer weather coming up and get rid of all that snow once and for all.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

 Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads