I see a number of Craigslist ad for A7r at $1600-1800 brand new, were there some major deals?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Wang Hung
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
I see a number of Craigslist ad for A7r at $1600-1800 brand new, were there some major deals?
4 months ago

I have been looking on CL for a7r deals and noticed a number of them are brand new in box for around $16-1800. Does anyone know how they managed to get such a good deal and if I were to buy it for that price, how much would I be overpaying?

Wang Hung's gear list:Wang Hung's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EugeneC
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Re: I see a number of Craigslist ad for A7r at $1600-1800 brand new, were there some major deals?
In reply to Wang Hung, 4 months ago

Are these in the LA/OC area? I have seen ads too. I suspect that maybe someone is backdooring them. I wouldn't touch it if it didn't have a legitimate receipt.

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?
Re: I see a number of Craigslist ad for A7r at $1600-1800 brand new, were there some major deals?
In reply to EugeneC, 4 months ago

Could be employee pricing too. All those disgruntled and soon to be laid off Sony store employees. I probably wouldn't mess with them either.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,147Gear list
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

I have been looking on CL for a7r deals and noticed a number of them are brand new in box for around $16-1800. Does anyone know how they managed to get such a good deal and if I were to buy it for that price, how much would I be overpaying?

It's always sad to let something this tempting go. But I get a bad feeling about it.

Wang Hung
Like?

Are these in the LA/OC area? I have seen ads too. I suspect that maybe someone is backdooring them. I wouldn't touch it if it didn't have a legitimate receipt.

Yes its the la/oc area , I'm in anaheim ca so I'm so damn tempted

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,421Gear list
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

This has "can of worms" written all over it.

Besides, buying the first generation of a sophisticated camera without an extended warranty is an invitation to horrific "we don't cover that" answers from manufacturers. You can't save the price of an unwarranted  repair - and you could get an email from Sony saying "sorry to inform you the camera you sent us for repair was reported stolen and will be sent to the police department reporting the theft for follow-up."

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Mel Snyder
Like?

EugeneC wrote:

Would not be the first time.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
imjm2
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 4 months ago

I saw one on Craigslist Monterey CA. It's a scam . The ad here said 1550. & that it was a gift & that he only opened it to take a picture. I started looking at the Flickr A7R pictures & the exact photo he claimed to have taken was posted to Flickr quite awhile back . They always want you to e-mail them & they will want you to Western Union the money , many times they are out of the country . Never Western Union money to someone on Craigslist . I had a friend get caught up in one these .

EugeneC
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

As tempting as it is, I wouldn't do it unless you get a legitimate receipt. I have seen similar ads on other forums too, I think it's the same guy. He has lenses too.  Even if it was an employee discount thing, I doubt if Sony would allow the sale of a dozen or so to one employee. Besides, I would think that Sony keeps track of serials although I am not sure.

I used to fly R/C aircraft. There was a guy or guys backdooring expensive model engines out of the Futaba warehouse in OC. The police eventually raided his home because someone turned him in.

Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
asquab
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

In regards to how much you are overpaying, if you're in the LA/OC/SD area and have a friend that works at Sony Pictures/Electronics, the price including tax til Mar 28 is $1253.49 for the a7r.

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,214Gear list
Like?

this was mentioned on SAR that Sony USA employees were allowed to purchase 2 or more bodies at 50% off retail. one Sony employee was able to put twenty in his cart at 50% off.

So it may not be "fallen off the back of a truck .. wink .. wink", but a bunch of smart Sony employees realizing they can make up for some loss wages quickly.

Also .. keep in mind the current USA promotions you can get a A7R down to 1600 or so anyways without much of a fuss by tradiing in a broken down $1 camera from a thrift shop for a $300 discount.

Both Adorama, BH and focus will trade in any film, digital,etc camera even with a fork stuck in it for a $300 discount. if you actually have a useful camera to trade - you get even more as you also get the respective company's trade in value once they receive the camera.

but as with everything in Craigslist - insist on a meeting in a very public place, check out what you are getting and go prepared to walk away without the camera if you feel anything's amiss.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
rrccad
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 4 months ago

rrccad wrote:

this was mentioned on SAR that Sony USA employees were allowed to purchase 2 or more bodies at 50% off retail. one Sony employee was able to put twenty in his cart at 50% off.

So it may not be "fallen off the back of a truck .. wink .. wink", but a bunch of smart Sony employees realizing they can make up for some loss wages quickly.

Also .. keep in mind the current USA promotions you can get a A7R down to 1600 or so anyways without much of a fuss by tradiing in a broken down $1 camera from a thrift shop for a $300 discount.

bah, i've been looking at too many A7 and A7R bundles lately.

you can only get the A7R down to 2K with promotion + $50 gift certificate + 4% reward (using adorama as an example).

Mel Snyder
Like?

rrccad wrote:

Both Adorama, BH and focus will trade in any film, digital,etc camera even with a fork stuck in it for a $300 discount. if you actually have a useful camera to trade - you get even more as you also get the respective company's trade in value once they receive the camera.

"this was mentioned on SAR that Sony USA employees were allowed to purchase 2 or more bodies at 50% off retail. one Sony employee was able to put twenty in his cart at 50% off."

Too bad you don't live in Brooklyn, I could get you more than 50% off on a bridge...

rrccad
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

rrccad wrote:

"this was mentioned on SAR that Sony USA employees were allowed to purchase 2 or more bodies at 50% off retail. one Sony employee was able to put twenty in his cart at 50% off."

Too bad you don't live in Brooklyn, I could get you more than 50% off on a bridge...

grins. I'm more interested in swampland

this was a discussion on SAR regarding the price dumping. but yeah, i'm always a little suspect about TGTBT pricing.

however I got my first digital SLR that way, a Canon 20D many moons ago .. and used it for 6+ years.

As long as you play it safe and use your head and not your GAS emotions.

I have a A7 in my BH cart that will cost me $1087 shipping.  I'm tempted.

EugeneC
Like?

rrccad wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

rrccad wrote:

this was a discussion on SAR regarding the price dumping. but yeah, i'm always a little suspect about TGTBT pricing.

however I got my first digital SLR that way, a Canon 20D many moons ago .. and used it for 6+ years.

I have a A7 in my BH cart that will cost me $1087 shipping. I'm tempted.

And how did you do that? Trade and if so may I ask what? Thanks....

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,472Gear list
Like?

Wang Hung wrote:

Craigslist is generally the last list a scammer will mess with as you can meet the seller face to face. Meet the seller, discuss the terms, look at the merchandise and make a decision. I can list the times I have used a warranty on one hand. You can also insure a camera purchase with a homeowners policy using a rider if homeowners will not cover the cost of expensive equipment. There also may be a warranty available if you shop around.

All these nervous nellies with there doom and gloom warnings are rather funny. Sure there are some scams out there so beware. But Craigslist is hardly a great spot for scams. If you are serious about a purchase check out the listing. I am actually surprised that the folks here are so skiddish about craigslist which has a rock solid reputation. Just do not use Craigslist for remote transactions.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Wang Hung
Like?
In reply to asquab, 4 months ago

asquab wrote:

Wang Hung wrote:

In regards to how much you are overpaying, if you're in the LA/OC/SD area and have a friend that works at Sony Pictures/Electronics, the price including tax til Mar 28 is $1253.49 for the a7r.

Wow I had no idea, thanks for the heads up. I need to find out who I might know that works at Sony Pictures/Electronics. Seems like a great deal.

cruzcat01
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?

I posted this over at the Alpha Mount Forum yesterday. Essentially, Sony has a special trade up promo with B&H that expires today. The promo takes $460 off any A7/A7R body and bundle and you can double dip with the $650 off bundle promo as well.

You can get the A7 + Kit lens + HVLFM60 flash for $1636. The FM60 has a street price of at least $450 which means that you are getting the A7 body and kit for ~$1200.

THe A7R body only is $1836.

More details about the promo here. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53336635

EugeneC wrote:

rrccad wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

rrccad wrote:

I have a A7 in my BH cart that will cost me $1087 shipping. I'm tempted.

And how did you do that? Trade and if so may I ask what? Thanks....

cruzcat01's gear list:cruzcat01's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads