G-D
G-D
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting..
In reply to telefunk, Mar 19, 2014

telefunk wrote:

grey-ghost wrote:

(Coming from a Panasonic GH3 as my other system, I am very comfortable with using touch screen controls.)

A mountain climber friend of mine told me touch screen is a complete no-no in the cold and gloves and what not when you're on top of the Mont Blanc. Do you have any experience with this?

NO normal consumer camera is easy to operate with mountaineering gloves, touchscreen or not. Imagine pressing a small button, or try half pressing the shutterbutton while wearing thick gloves.

But there are gloves available specially for operating touch screens. For example google for iGloves. They can also be used as inner gloves in thicker gloves.

Besides, while on top of the Mont Blanc, better enjoy the moment iso. worrying about taking pictures.

-- hide signature --

G.D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
In reply to G-D, Mar 19, 2014

G-D wrote:

telefunk wrote:

grey-ghost wrote:

(Coming from a Panasonic GH3 as my other system, I am very comfortable with using touch screen controls.)

A mountain climber friend of mine told me touch screen is a complete no-no in the cold and gloves and what not when you're on top of the Mont Blanc. Do you have any experience with this?

NO normal consumer camera is easy to operate with mountaineering gloves, touchscreen or not. Imagine pressing a small button, or try half pressing the shutterbutton while wearing thick gloves.

But there are gloves available specially for operating touch screens. For example google for iGloves. They can also be used as inner gloves in thicker gloves.

Besides, while on top of the Mont Blanc, better enjoy the moment iso. worrying about taking pictures.

-- hide signature --

G.D.

With the post you replied to, I seriously think this forum has reached the point where people have nothing to talk about.

grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
In reply to kitchenbug, Mar 19, 2014

kitchenbug wrote:

Mike,

I'll be very interested in what you have to say once you get the camera. BTW, exposure compensation can be assigned to either of the Dual Control Rings.

Understood on assigning the EC to one of the rings.

For me, I like customization options so getting one more customizable control (replacing the fixed function EC ring) is - on specifications at least - a good thing.

I will post my experiences with the Mk II once I have it but that may be a while.  It is on order through B&H with expected U.S. availability late April.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem,
Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Scott Skinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650Gear list
Like?
firmware
In reply to kitchenbug, Mar 19, 2014

I can see a firmware improvement at some point down the road (after US release). The hardware is probably pretty much set at this point.

Unfortunately, that's the way Canon rolls.  I would like to be wrong on this issue though

Scott Skinner's gear list:Scott Skinner's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II
requa
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to telefunk, Mar 19, 2014

telefunk wrote:

grey-ghost wrote:

This is a valid question, but as another has pointed out, there are special gloves, etc., that might help those of us in northern climes (in this hemisphere). Yes, moving any controls to a touch screen will result in limitations in handling in cold conditions. I would consider these conditions to be akin to underwater photography. Anticipate the settings you'll need and set them at base camp or in tent or car or whatever. If you need greater flexibility and control while on the peak (e.g., if you're shooting for National Geographic), you already know you need advanced gear with manual controls and weather-sealing, and no P&S is likely to give you what you need.

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot S100
Sdaniella
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling ... agree ... many could see it coming ...
In reply to kitchenbug, Mar 20, 2014

have been long advocating Canon endow it's flagship prosumer PowerShot G model with full mini- version of classic EOS-1 controls from its bigger dSLR line, where both 'body controls' backthumbwheel/topfingerdial be dedicated to aperture and speed (ISO topdial/alt control w/button)

any 'lens controls' like continuous zoom/focus be allowed on separate rings on lens like most EF/EFS Zooms.

get rid of stepped ring, which is a remnant of stepped aperture controls (or other values) from film era cameras/lenses. the soft-steps of the thumbwheel or fingerdial can handle other alt values as needed.

get rid of 'flip-up/down' screen; it's nowhere as flexible as Canons classic VASS (Vari-Angle Swivel Screen)

offer VASS-270deg like before

make the grip more substantial; I dislike near-gripless bar-soap/block/slab bodies that never feel secure in one's hands (can you imagine EOS 5D//6D/7D/70D/1D series with flat slab bodies and a thin grip like a S110 !? no thx!)

reintegrate the EVF into the body, but allow for Vari-Angle Swivel VF, not just tilt/flip up (videocams have had this a long time): ideally, angles up/vertical, in between, straight/level, slightly down, fully/partially left and right.

clean-up the body strap loops, it sticks out and can scrape other things stored with it. uncharacteristic of integrated PowerShot bodies.

EVF weakness, true for all mfrs, will not have refresh rates fast enough for fast /live action lateral panning/framing focus (assuming focus can keep up with panning. so option coild be optical VF attachment intended for the fastest pan/tracking duties not everyone eill be doing. most will shoot slower action, or portrait/lanscape stills.

I like the 24-120mm eq fov lens, the sensor, and Canon's usual exposure simulation live preview; but dislike everything else. my Sony R1 has mini-EOS-1 controls, live preview, zoom ring, focus ring, EVF and VASS !

and where is a more flexible custom JPEG M.E. (Multiple Exposure) function, and full M/M ISO custom exposure HDR function (not auto)!?

... make us/me wait ... forever ?!

maybe, Canon will do a PowerShot Pro1 update: Pro1 X !!!

-- hide signature --

hi all! I'm back with my original profile running again! whew!
SDaniella
(formerly: sdyue)
(\ /)
( o.o) ---( I Love Photography ! )
c(")(")

Sdaniella's gear list:Sdaniella's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
kitchenbug
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Re: G1 X Mark II: Not happy with handling

Another annoyance I just found.

While you're manually focusing, you cannot use any of the camera's dials for purposes other than focusing. You commence manual focusing by either pushing the MF button or by turning the Continuous Ring while you half-press the shutter. Once you commence manual focusing, the Continuous Ring is used to fine tune focusing, while the Control Dial on the camera's back is used to make more pronounced focus adjustments.

The only way you can exit manual focusing is by releasing the shutter. Until you do so, you cannot use the Control Dial, the Step Ring, or the Continuous Ring for any other setting.

If you want to adjust exposure compensation, change aperture, or shutter speed, you'd better remember to do so before you enter manual focusing! If you forget, too bad, you need to focus again!

kitchenbug's gear list:kitchenbug's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?

Looks like you're getting closer to returning it!

kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to kitchenbug, Mar 21, 2014

While you're manually focusing, you cannot use any of the camera's dials for purposes other than focusing. You commence manual focusing by either pushing the MF button or by turning the Continuous Ring while you half-press the shutter.

Let me modify my statement.

Of the two methods to enter manual focusing, if you enter it by pushing the MF button, you CAN regain control of the other settings by exiting the focusing operation by pressing the FUNC.SET button. If you enter it by rotating the Continuous Ring, there isn't a way I know of to regain control of the other settings.

Another problem with manual focusing is the distance bar that is drawn on the right-hand side of the display while in manual focusing. The scale of the bar is constant between 5cm (closest working distance at zoom's wide end) and infinity. When you zoom to a different focal length, the range of possible working distance changes (i.e., 40cm to infinity at the zoom's longest end), but the display gives no indication of this. The only way I know when I have reached the minimal working distance is by the lack of feedback when I rotate the Continuous Ring or the Control Dial.

It would be better if 1) the bar was rescaled to match the possible working range at each focal length, or if 2) the unusable distance was marked with a different color. I prefer the former. Focusing gets more critical the longer the focal length.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 431
Like?

OMG what a hassle!

Is there colour peaking to aid focus?

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Lens at 24mm f2.0

Can you confirm the soft images at 24mm f2.0? After seeing these images on:

http://www.monox.jp/digitalcamera-sp-canon-powershotg1xmk2-04.html

There are a few comparisons of lens sharpness at 24mm f2.0 and up.

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f020.jpg (half way down the page)

It seems to get better as you get to f2.8 and f4.0. What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to telefunk, Mar 21, 2014

Is there colour peaking to aid focus?

Yes. You can set its sensitivity to high or low. In my test, focus peaking is a bit too eager to show positive feedback. With the lens zoomed to its longest end, and focus on a subject about 2 meters away, it shows peaking on objects at 3 meters away.

kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, Mar 28, 2014

I've put my G1 X Mark II on eBay. If anyone's interested, have a look. I've managed to make a scratch on the LCD, and I don't know how it happened. Most likely while I was mounting/dismounting the camera on tripod. It's not deep, but it cannot be wiped away. I'm open to negotiation on price. Mechanically, there's nothing wrong with the camera. Everything works as new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291112570516

I have so far made no comments on image quality. One good thing is that the camera's rendering of mid-tones is much better than Nikon P7700.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?
In reply to kitchenbug, Mar 28, 2014

So other than handling, and the previous items you posted, what made you sell it?

The reviews on japanese websites seem to be pretty positive.

kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, Mar 28, 2014

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

So other than handling, and the previous items you posted, what made you sell it?

The reviews on japanese websites seem to be pretty positive.

It is primarily the handling I'm not happy with.

I compared the image resolution (in JPEG) of an object (wool threads in back lighting) at a distance of 4 meters with lens zoomed at 120mm focal length equivalent at F3.9 on G1X2 and F4 on Nikon P7700, thinking that's how I want shoot a portrait. The area in focus showed pretty much equal resolution between the two cameras (despite the difference in sensor size). Tonality of mid-tone was better with G1X2, but overall dynamic range was nearly equal. I liked the rendition of out-of-focus areas better with P7700. It's a personal choice. I don't want to keep two cameras, as I find that distracting from my photography.

mthalen
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?

I just arrived in japan and after dropping our luggage at the hotel I went straight to BIC Camera to play with the G1Xmk2.

At home I had played around with the first g1x in a store and that was easy breezy coming from a 20D: put it on Av or M and use the control dial to select exposure.
On the mk2 this didn't work tried some settings in the store and am now back at the hotel. Just read the manual again an reread this post, but it seems like you can not make the control dial (the one on the back next to the display) to control anything?

Is it just used for browsing the menu?

I SO wanted to buy this camera, but these controls.... I don't know... Might hold out a bit and see what Sony (rx100 iii) and Nikon (p8000) come up with.

kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to mthalen, Mar 28, 2014

I just arrived in japan and after dropping our luggage at the hotel I went straight to BIC Camera to play with the G1Xmk2.

Welcome to town.

On the mk2 this didn't work tried some settings in the store and am now back at the hotel. Just read the manual again an reread this post, but it seems like you can not make the control dial (the one on the back next to the display) to control anything?

You can use it to control a few things. I'd set it to control aperture.

I SO wanted to buy this camera, but these controls.... I don't know... Might hold out a bit and see what Sony (rx100 iii) and Nikon (p8000) come up with.

Do you care to go out for a drink / revisit BIC today? I'm free after 6pm.

MaKeR
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?
In reply to deploylinux, Mar 28, 2014

deploylinux wrote:

It might also help to know if the raw+jpeg mode is full featured rather than modestly broken like on the G15 (autoDR/shadow handling/other jpg features disabled for jpegs when raw+jpg enabled).

The manual seems to say on page 99 that RAW+JPEG forces JPEGs to default settings (a limitation pointed out in DPR's review of the G1X): "Noise reduction level, i-Contrast and My Colors cannot be configured." Another disappointment with the G1X2.

panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

kitchenbug wrote:

Welcome to town.

You can use it to control a few things. I'd set it to control aperture.

Do you care to go out for a drink / revisit BIC today? I'm free after 6pm.

Went to the E-Bay site for your G1X II. It says the sale was withdrawn by the seller because camera is no longer available.

Did you return it? sell to someone there?

Curious!

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
kitchenbug
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, Mar 29, 2014

The camera is sold and shipped.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads