Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Avobanana
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: The most annoying new fad in photography
In reply to fishywisht, 5 months ago

fishywisht wrote:

Avobanana wrote:

Flowers. Even a monkey can take nice flowers pictures.

Don't monkeys prefer selfies? I would like to see your categorical statement submitted to experimental testing. We can grade their ability from handling primes to zooms to reversing rings, bellows and ring flash maybe.

No need. It's a fact.

From Seo-happy.com

Avobanana's gear list:Avobanana's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to RichRMA, 5 months ago

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

I detest selfies.

Something else that I have noticed is that it is absolutely impossible to photograph young people without them posing.  I was trying to take some pictures at a church picnic.  (I give the pictures to the church and the church puts them on monitors around the church just to show some of our activities.)  Every single time I tried to take a candid picture of a kid, the kid stopped what he/she was doing and posed.  (It was probably worse with the girls.)

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Les Freed, 5 months ago

Les Freed wrote:

HDR unboxing selfies -- while eating.

With the image selectively converted to B&W except for just the cardboard box.

Shot with razor-thin DOF.

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,053Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZX11, 5 months ago

If you said landscape photography was the most annoying fad in photography, I would agree with you. I don't like landscape pictures. They bore me to death and look like any other landscape picture on the internet.

I would say pictures of people are far more boring, especially kids.  As the planet drowns under a layer of sweating meat.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,067Gear list
Like?
I have found an unboxing video or two useful!

I don't drive, and recently I bought a monitor. Watching the unboxing video for it allowed me to see the box it comes in before hand to see how easy it would be to transport on public transit and then carrying it home, not only the size of the box (this monitor's box was three times as wide as a normal TV box), but also if the box had a carrying handle.

Also this monitor's box opened from the sides rather than the top; while it could be opened from either side, watching multiple unboxing videos for the same monitor showed that opening from one side it was easier to extract the monitor than the other.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Gollan
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

I'm guilty of all three. The most annoying fad is that some chefs and restaurateurs are banning photography in their restaurants, as if the food is too special to have its picture taken. In my opinion, the world needs more food photography, not less.

Gollan's gear list:Gollan's gear list
Canon ELPH 100 HS Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 10mm 1:2.8 ED AS NCS CS +1 more
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,239
Like?
Re: 2. Selfies: Not the photograph, the name
In reply to jayrandomer, 5 months ago

I agree. The name is too cutesie. But I see lots of fun selfies out there. Food photography seems pointless to me, but then, I don't much care what I eat and have little appreciation for fine food (it's wasted on me). Unboxing videos are annoying, but as you say, easily ignored.

None of these strike me as new fads. I don't hang around on photo sharing sites to have any idea what new fads there might be, though.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,067Gear list
Like?
In that case it's private property, annoyance, and "art"...
In reply to Gollan, 5 months ago

Gollan wrote:

I'm guilty of all three. The most annoying fad is that some chefs and restaurateurs are banning photography in their restaurants, as if the food is too special to have its picture taken. In my opinion, the world needs more food photography, not less.

First off it's private property, they are allowed to ban photography in their premises.

Second, the average photographer knows little about photography, using a flash annoying other patrons, standing up to get the full dish in the picture with their full frame dSLR (you just have to look at any sporting event in low light to see all the flashes unnecessarily going off annoying those sitting near the "photographer").

Third, food serving IS an art form, and they may not want their style stolen.  Of course if I wanted to steal their secrets I'd use a camera built into a watch, or glasses.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

4. People coming on to photography forums posting threads about mirrorless cameras are better than SLR cameras.

5. People coming on to photography forums posting that SLR cameras are better than mirrorless cameras.

Serickmetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography
  2. Selfies
  3. Unboxing videos

We are annoyed by the same things! Cool!

Serickmetz's gear list:Serickmetz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,525Gear list
Like?
"Run and gun" is the most annoying new phrase

Brought over from the world of video games, it is now being used to describe a documentary style of photography, but it is mainly an excuse for not having to learn anything about lighting, composition or other elements which make for good photos.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,489
Like?
Tablets...

Tablets are great for on-the-go 'consumable' data, but I find them to be most annoying when used as cameras.  They block the view of anyone unfortunate enough to be standing behind the user.

Mark

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?

Could be worse so just imagine a selfie of someone unboxing a camera while simultaneously devouring a pizza.

DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: In that case it's private property, annoyance, and "art"...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 5 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Gollan wrote:

First off it's private property, they are allowed to ban photography in their premises.

Second, the average photographer knows little about photography, using a flash annoying other patrons, standing up to get the full dish in the picture with their full frame dSLR (you just have to look at any sporting event in low light to see all the flashes unnecessarily going off annoying those sitting near the "photographer").

Third, food serving IS an art form, and they may not want their style stolen. Of course if I wanted to steal their secrets I'd use a camera built into a watch, or glasses.

Funniest reply on dpr ever - hoping its tounge inc cheek

Food serving an Art? Only the most anal of chef would describe dishing someones lunch up as Art.

I dont believe I have ever seen anybody stand up in a resturant to take pictures of their plate using a DSLR, ever. I do see the odd pic on Facebook etc of people showing a quick snap of their plate (most probably on their iPhone), but I honestly don't believe any other patrons would have been distressed by this. Also if a Chef thinks he has created a masterpiece, surerly he would be pleased someone wants to take a pic? lets face it, who ever is taking the picture has paid for the dish, so this masterpiece is no longer in the ownership of the chef.

Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
+1000000
In reply to jayrandomer, 5 months ago

jayrandomer wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

As others have mentioned, self-portraits are likely as old as art itself. I just don't like the name. 1. and 3. aren't my cup of tea but are too easily ignored to be considered annoying.

I really dont' mind the actual pics but the name really, really, annoys me for some reason.

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
Re: In that case it's private property, annoyance, and "art"...
In reply to DJF77, 5 months ago

DJF77 wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Gollan wrote:

Third, food serving IS an art form, and they may not want their style stolen. Of course if I wanted to steal their secrets I'd use a camera built into a watch, or glasses.

Funniest reply on dpr ever - hoping its tounge inc cheek

Food serving an Art? Only the most anal of chef would describe dishing someones lunch up as Art.

I dont believe I have ever seen anybody stand up in a resturant to take pictures of their plate using a DSLR, ever. I do see the odd pic on Facebook etc of people showing a quick snap of their plate (most probably on their iPhone), but I honestly don't believe any other patrons would have been distressed by this. Also if a Chef thinks he has created a masterpiece, surerly he would be pleased someone wants to take a pic? lets face it, who ever is taking the picture has paid for the dish, so this masterpiece is no longer in the ownership of the chef.

You aren't much for copyright law, are you?

Josh152
Like?
Re: "Run and gun" is the most annoying new phrase
In reply to Jim Salvas, 5 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Brought over from the world of video games, it is now being used to describe a documentary style of photography, but it is mainly an excuse for not having to learn anything about lighting, composition or other elements which make for good photos.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Actually it is originally from actually running and gunning, You know with a real gun and really moving your feet instead of staring at a screen and pressing buttons.

ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 547Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, 5 months ago

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

If you said landscape photography was the most annoying fad in photography, I would agree with you. I don't like landscape pictures. They bore me to death and look like any other landscape picture on the internet.

I would say pictures of people are far more boring, especially kids. As the planet drowns under a layer of sweating meat.

I can see that.  Like being sat down to watch someone else's family vacation slide show.

Now my family pictures are another matter   They are always spectacular.

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
Josh152
Like?
Why

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

Would any of this annoy you? Don't like Food Photography? Don't shoot Food Photography or view food Photographs. Don't like Selfies? Don't shoot them and don't view selfie photographs. Don't like Unoxing videos.... well I think you get the point. No need to get all annoyed just because people like different types of photos/videos than you do, just don't look at or pay attention to them.

I don't like most Selfies either but I dont sit there stewing about how bad and annoying they are and how I wish people wouldn't do them if I happened to see one come up on facebook or something, I just don't pay much attention to it and move on to things that do interest me and I do like. Each to their own you know. No need to let what someone else likes annoy you. Life's too short for that.

ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 547Gear list
Like?
In reply to richardplondon, 5 months ago

richardplondon wrote:

Les Freed wrote:

HDR unboxing selfies -- while eating.

With the image selectively converted to B&W except for just the cardboard box.

Shot with razor-thin DOF.

Challenge?

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads