RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D200
rmlewis
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
Re: The most annoying new fad in photography
In reply to RichRMA, 5 months ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and I just got off the phone from enrolling in a food photography 1 day workshop

-- hide signature --

Rob Lewis
http://www.roblewisphotography.com/
http://www.broughttolight.com/
Blog at http://rmlewis1.wordpress.com/
'Being rich is having money; being wealthy is having time (to take photos).' Apologies to Stephen Swid

rmlewis's gear list:rmlewis's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,886Gear list
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

Agree with 2 and 3 but food?

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

3. Unboxing videos

I like unboxing videos when I am shopping/researching the item in the video. Though they will never be art like a landscape photo, unboxing videos can be cool and worth the price of admission. I did watch an unboxing of some large "hundreds and hundreds of mm" Canon white lens just so I could check out the design of the suitcase it came with.

If you said landscape photography was the most annoying fad in photography, I would agree with you.  I don't like landscape pictures.  They bore me to death and look like any other landscape picture on the internet.

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
Beserk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,173
Like?

#2... I even just hate the word "selfie"

blech

EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?

selfies have been around the block and back

its called a self portrait nothing new

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Sony Alpha 7 +12 more
Chenezo5507
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

Definitely 3. Unboxing videos for me!

Avobanana
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?

Flowers. Even a monkey can take nice flowers pictures.

Avobanana's gear list:Avobanana's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +2 more
fishywisht
Contributing MemberPosts: 854
Like?
In reply to Avobanana, 5 months ago

Avobanana wrote:

Flowers. Even a monkey can take nice flowers pictures.

Don't monkeys prefer selfies? I would like to see your categorical statement submitted to experimental testing. We can grade their ability from handling primes to zooms to reversing rings, bellows and ring flash maybe.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785Gear list
Like?
I would...

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

...move unboxing videos to #1. In my opinion this really shows that it's not about the photo, it's about the look of the gear that matters most to these guys. AT least selfies and food photos are people actually taking photos.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 5 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

selfies have been around the block and back

its called a self portrait nothing new

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
2. Selfies: Not the photograph, the name

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

As others have mentioned, self-portraits are likely as old as art itself.  I just don't like the name.  1. and 3. aren't my cup of tea but are too easily ignored to be considered annoying.

Les Freed
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

HDR unboxing selfies -- while eating.

-- hide signature --

--Les

Les Freed's gear list:Les Freed's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +15 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533
Like?

I love doing selfie videos of me unboxing my lunch. 

Anyways, what's wrong with taking a picture of an artfully presented dish?

And unboxing videos serve a purpose. Especially if I want to present something as a gift, I want to know how it is packaged.

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,654Gear list
Like?
Re: I would...
In reply to happypoppeye, 5 months ago

happypoppeye wrote:

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

...move unboxing videos to #1. In my opinion this really shows that it's not about the photo, it's about the look of the gear that matters most to these guys. AT least selfies and food photos are people actually taking photos.

If it's the selfies we see all over the internet, it's not even about the photos, it's about craving attention in social media. I respect people liking technology and wanting to share the experience with others who might want to learn something, like what comes in the package. I can't respect people who are so starved for attention that they take their own portraits because nobody else will.

Selfies should be #1 and stay there.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,743
Like?

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

The first two aren't new!

When I got my first job as an advertising photographer's assistant, we did loads of food photography. Also I noticed a picture at David Bailey's brilliant exhibition at the NPG in London, a selfie he took of him and Dali holing his 35mm film camera at arms length.

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?

1: Instagram type filters that make terrible photos look even worse.

2: Unboxing vids. "OK guys, so here I am with my new D800 and I'm opening the box. Here are the cables, here's the battery, here's the owners manual." Yeah, what a waste of my time. Do people HONESTLY watch those, and for what reason? Do you REALLY need to see what it looks like to take a camera or lens out of the box?

3: Selfies for the reason mentioned above. Not all selfies bug me, but the girls who post 15 a day on social media while puckering up their lips, pushing out their boobs and butt, THEN adding the instagram filters/effect, are a sad, pathetic, joke.

4: Food photos. Whatever. Just like unboxing vids, I couldn't care less what someone has for lunch and I move along.

Mark Smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,642Gear list
Like?
Not so new.

RichRMA wrote:

Pick one:

1. Food photography

2. Selfies

3. Unboxing videos

How are these 'new'? Food photography has been around for very many years just open a 1960's recipe book, self portraits likewise been a 'fad' since the 1830's

I will agree about no 3 although I wouldn't say they were a photographic fad, more a consumer electronics one as I've seen unboxing videos of CE for a few years now.

So 'new' to you possibly, for others not so.

New (less than 5 year old) fads in photography.

1/Using iPads to take snaps at concerts/museums etc (everyone looks cool holding up something the size of a dinner plate)

2/Posting every single thing you take to your feed so your friends can see 'real time' your images sharing your dull boring life with 200 other people with equally nothing interesting to do is narcissistic.

3/ Making boring cell phone shots into faux Polaroids and uploading (as per two) press a button, upload for instant art– it is to photography what instant dried soup is to food.

There are a whole host of fads, which will be gone in 20 years, self portraits and food photography aren't in that category.

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 5 months ago

How is the self portrait, one of the standard forms of human artistic expression since the first cave painter airbrushed* around his or her hand as part of the composition, suddenly an annoying new trend? If you dislike the term "selfie", that's another issue. I personally think the English language has worse problems than a harmless slang term for a snapshot self portrait. Stop forming a plural with an apostrophe and you can call it a "selfie" all you want.

I find unboxing videos useful when I am preparing to buy a complicated new bit of kit with lots of crucial small bits.

*Yes, airbrushed. They probably used powdered pigment blown through a straw onto a prepared surface.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,094Gear list
Like?

How is the self portrait, one of the standard forms of human artistic expression since the first cave painter airbrushed* around his or her hand as part of the composition, suddenly an annoying new trend? If you dislike the term "selfie", that's another issue. I personally think the English language has worse problems than a harmless slang term for a snapshot self portrait. Stop forming a plural with an apostrophe and you can call it a "selfie" all you want.

I find unboxing videos useful when I am preparing to buy a complicated new bit of kit with lots of crucial small bits.

*Yes, airbrushed. They probably used powdered pigment blown through a straw onto a prepared surface.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads