XF 56mm ???

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mikess1
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
XF 56mm ???
4 months ago

Not only is it extremely slow to focus half the time I either get a red box or a green box but its still out of focus im confused after all the awesome reviews it got
--
http://500px.com/mikess1

Mikess1's gear list:Mikess1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
Re: XF 56mm ???
In reply to Mikess1, 4 months ago

Minimum focusing distance is 70cm.

Are you keeping this in mind? Mine is snappy. No troubles at all.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mikess1
Like?
In reply to mooshoepork, 4 months ago

Yeah I relize that even out side today in great light
--

ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

Mikess1 wrote:

Not only is it extremely slow to focus half the time I either get a red box or a green box but its still out of focus im confused after all the awesome reviews it got
--

Are you shooting in low light at high ISO where the camera uses CDAF or outdoors in brighter light where it uses PDAF?  Makes a huge difference In focus speed.

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Mikess1
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, 4 months ago
Mikess1
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, 4 months ago

Its much faster in good light but I still get the red box and the green box thats out of focus
--

Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 351Gear list
Like?

What camera are you using it on. If you are using it on an X-Pro1 or X-E1 or E2 you might need an update for the firmware on your body for the new lens.  If it is an X-T1 or you have the latest firmware...then something is wrong with your copy and send it back.  The 56mm is the fastest focusing XF lens.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Mikess1
Like?
In reply to Conrad567, 4 months ago

What camera are you using it on. If you are using it on an X-Pro1 or X-E1 or E2 you might need an update for the firmware on your body for the new lens.  If it is an X-T1 or you have the latest firmware...then something is wrong with your copy and send it back.  The 56mm is the fastest focusing XF lens.

I have the XT1 and my xf35mm is way faster and more accurate
--

guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Mikess1 wrote:

What camera are you using it on. If you are using it on an X-Pro1 or X-E1 or E2 you might need an update for the firmware on your body for the new lens. If it is an X-T1 or you have the latest firmware...then something is wrong with your copy and send it back. The 56mm is the fastest focusing XF lens.

--

It would help if you could post a photo with exif.  Also, close in objects with it wide open your dof is going to be very shallow, can you be sure you are not slightly moving forward or backward?

Mikess1
Like?
In reply to guitarjeff, 4 months ago

Mikess1 wrote:

What camera are you using it on. If you are using it on an X-Pro1 or X-E1 or E2 you might need an update for the firmware on your body for the new lens. If it is an X-T1 or you have the latest firmware...then something is wrong with your copy and send it back. The 56mm is the fastest focusing XF lens.

--

It would help if you could post a photo with exif.  Also, close in objects with it wide open your dof is going to be very shallow, can you be sure you are not slightly moving forward or backward?

I get its shallow but I get the red box meaning it cant find something to focus on and even worse somtimes I get the green box on my subject and shes out of focus while the background is in focus
--

Mikess1
Like?

guitarjeff wrote:

Mikess1 wrote:

--

It would help if you could post a photo with exif. Also, close in objects with it wide open your dof is going to be very shallow, can you be sure you are not slightly moving forward or backward?

-- hide signature --
Mikess1
Like?

Mikess1 wrote:

guitarjeff wrote:

Mikess1 wrote:

--

It would help if you could post a photo with exif. Also, close in objects with it wide open your dof is going to be very shallow, can you be sure you are not slightly moving forward or backward?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Mikess1
Like?

Both these pictures gave me the green focus box like this

-- hide signature --
guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?

Mikess1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Others will know much more than I on this, but it looks to me like you are moving in and out and altering your dof.  at 1.2 your dof must be very thin and especially when you are fairly close to the subject.

Shutter speed doesn't matter either because this type of movement is before the shutter even opens. and, and it looks as though focus is achieved but at the wrong distance.  You seem to be having no trouble with the 35 though, however that is at 1.4.  You may have to send it back but I would let a few more folks here comment on it and try and help before you go through sending it back.  If you bought it local then that would be much easier.

All I can do is say to you thaton my old 5D2, when using the Sigma 50mm 1.4 that dof was razor thin,and even if you felt only a barely conscious movement before the shutter fired the pic was oof.   The movement only had to be slightly perceptible and it would throw you out.

Good luck and I am sure you will get it worked out soon no matter what has to happen.

Mikess1
Like?

guitarjeff wrote:

Mikess1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Others will know much more than I on this, but it looks to me like you are moving in and out and altering your dof. at 1.2 your dof must be very thin and especially when you are fairly close to the subject.

Shutter speed doesn't matter either because this type of movement is before the shutter even opens. and, and it looks as though focus is achieved but at the wrong distance. You seem to be having no trouble with the 35 though, however that is at 1.4. You may have to send it back but I would let a few more folks here comment on it and try and help before you go through sending it back. If you bought it local then that would be much easier.

All I can do is say to you thaton my old 5D2, when using the Sigma 50mm 1.4 that dof was razor thin,and even if you felt only a barely conscious movement before the shutter fired the pic was oof. The movement only had to be slightly perceptible and it would throw you out.

Good luck and I am sure you will get it worked out soon no matter what has to happen.

even before i take the picture i can clearly see it is focusing on the back ground and not the subject that is in the green box i only took it for this post i then refocused and took the other shot same everything only the subject in the green box was in focus i am taking my kids to the zoo today and will only be taking the 56mm i will figure out today if I'm gonna keep it or not a grand is a lot to spend you know right not i could get the 55-200 and the 14mm for just a little more then this lens but i love shooting portraits and 85mm is perfect

-- hide signature --
FJJ
FJJ
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

even before i take the picture i can clearly see it is focusing on the back ground and not the subject that is in the green box i only took it for this post i then refocused and took the other shot same everything only the subject in the green box was in focus i am taking my kids to the zoo today and will only be taking the 56mm i will figure out today if I'm gonna keep it or not a grand is a lot to spend you know right not i could get the 55-200 and the 14mm for just a little more then this lens but i love shooting portraits and 85mm is perfect

-- hide signature --

I assume that you are using one shot AF and not continuous?  Have you tried reducing the size of the focus box to make it akin to 'spot af'?  One the X-E1 that is achieved by pressing the AF button to bring up the AF point selection grid then using the rear dial to increase/decrease the size.  Have you tried it on e.g. an eye which should be easier to focus on as there is a larger flat area than the sink and tap?  Other tip would be to make sure that you don't focus and recompose when shooting wide open as the DOF is very thin.

FJJ's gear list:FJJ's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +15 more
Mikess1
Like?
In reply to FJJ, 4 months ago

FJJ wrote:

-- hide signature --

I assume that you are using one shot AF and not continuous? Have you tried reducing the size of the focus box to make it akin to 'spot af'? One the X-E1 that is achieved by pressing the AF button to bring up the AF point selection grid then using the rear dial to increase/decrease the size. Have you tried it on e.g. an eye which should be easier to focus on as there is a larger flat area than the sink and tap? Other tip would be to make sure that you don't focus and recompose when shooting wide open as the DOF is very thin.

yes one shot not continuos focus and i have changed the size i made it bigger cause this was happening and I'm not focusing and recomposing as i said i could clearly see it missing focus even before i take the shot

-- hide signature --
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,895Gear list
Like?
Shooting f/1.2 requires better technique

The challenge of shooting at f/1.2 - It's very difficult in a non controlled environment.

We will see dozens more posts on DPR in the coming months from people saying 'my new f/1.2 lens is faulty' etc etc due to soft/OOF images

A few technique suggestions:

Reduce the size of the AF box on the camera - to ensure you get exactly what you want in focus

Figure out the thing that's going to be sharp, the nose, eye, ear, etc - because most likely only one thing will be sharp!

Always put the AF box over the thing you want to be sharp by moving it's position before you shoot - using the old focus and recompose method will spoil most shallow DOF shots as the subject will no longer be in the focus plane after you recompose

Consider shooting f/1.4, f/1.6 or f/2 outside of the studio, You get the same sort of bokeh, better DOF, higher hit rate

Don't focus then pause before taking the shot - if you and/or the subject move at all in that pause, you're toast - do a test shot where you line up the AF box, frame comp and verticals etc - then for the actual shot just mash the shutter release so it does focus and immediate shot without any gap

Hope these help - technique with a longer fast prime is a killer

You'll need to practice, and practice, and practice

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,036Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting f/1.2 requires better technique
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 4 months ago

Chris Dodkin wrote:

The challenge of shooting at f/1.2 - It's very difficult in a non controlled environment.

We will see dozens more posts on DPR in the coming months from people saying 'my new f/1.2 lens is faulty' etc etc due to soft/OOF images

A few technique suggestions:

Reduce the size of the AF box on the camera - to ensure you get exactly what you want in focus

Figure out the thing that's going to be sharp, the nose, eye, ear, etc - because most likely only one thing will be sharp!

Always put the AF box over the thing you want to be sharp by moving it's position before you shoot - using the old focus and recompose method will spoil most shallow DOF shots as the subject will no longer be in the focus plane after you recompose

Consider shooting f/1.4, f/1.6 or f/2 outside of the studio, You get the same sort of bokeh, better DOF, higher hit rate

Don't focus then pause before taking the shot - if you and/or the subject move at all in that pause, you're toast - do a test shot where you line up the AF box, frame comp and verticals etc - then for the actual shot just mash the shutter release so it does focus and immediate shot without any gap

Hope these help - technique with a longer fast prime is a killer

You'll need to practice, and practice, and practice

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Thanks for the lesson. I hope it gets good coverage before the complaints do start rolling in.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,036Gear list
Like?

Mikess1 wrote:

--

Are you shooting with an aperture smaller than f/1.2? Try stopping the lens down to f/4.0 and see how it the focus is.

How much experience do you have shooting at f/1.2? Before assuming the lens is defective, I'd check out the great tips provided by Chris Dodd just above in this thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads