Show Your Snaps...March 17, 2014

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,354
Like?
Re: Show Your Snaps...March 17, 2014
In reply to chile7236, 7 months ago

Those are nice action shots.  The Sigma 150-500mm lens looks like it gives you sharp photos.  I'm thinking about getting the Tamron 150-600mm lens, but I'm waiting a while.  There's a high demand and low supply and there might be some issues of autofocusing on some copies of the lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digirame
Like?
Re: A few from the grounds of The Huntington Library San Marino, CA.
In reply to RLBur, 7 months ago

Ah, yes...it's been a long time since I've been there.  It's nice to see them.

Digirame
Like?
Re: from a warmer time
In reply to dzba, 7 months ago

I think your flower pictures look good (as I see them from my monitor). I'm glad that you stopped the lens down (at F9) so that you could get enough depth of field. I often take photos of flowers too. I resize my photos to 940x627, since a lot of people use larger monitors these days. Years ago, the popular resize dimensions were something like 800x600 (4:3 ratio) or 900x600 (3:2 ratio).

Your bus picture is great. I like how you framed it and it is colorful. And yes, we see the eagle.

Digirame
Like?
In reply to CPNock, 7 months ago

On my monitor, the pictures look very sharp, but not excessively sharp.  I viewed them at 100%.  For web sized photos, it's just a matter if they are pleasing to the eye.  They look good to me.

Digirame
Like?
Re: night rider
In reply to brightcolours, 7 months ago

Wow...that's interesting...looks great.  I never thought about doing that, and I've taken lots of pictures from a moving automobile (as the passenger).

seeker moc
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
In reply to brightcolours, 7 months ago

That is pretty awesome. How did you get the red in the sky, was it right at dawn/dusk?

seeker moc's gear list:seeker moc's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,605
Like?
In reply to seeker moc, 7 months ago

seeker moc wrote:

That is pretty awesome. How did you get the red in the sky, was it right at dawn/dusk?

We passed an overhead pass which was lighted at the side (in red).

brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,605
Like?
In reply to Digirame, 7 months ago

Digirame wrote:

Wow...that's interesting...looks great. I never thought about doing that, and I've taken lots of pictures from a moving automobile (as the passenger).

Yeah, best done as passenger

seeker moc
Like?

Here's a few more bird pics from the last few days. As a side note, sorry for all the bird pics recently, it's really not all I do, but they are the only readily available things near the house that I can think of shooting. Does anybody have any ideas?

Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Digirame
Like?

Well, they are good bird pictures.   Yes, I know what you mean.  I enjoy taking pictures of birds and other wildlife, but I try to branch out and take photos of many different things too.

Digirame
Like?
Ten Ideas

I forgot to reply about ideas of what other things to photograph. Here's what I would consider.

1) Find places where there's good hiking trails.

2) During the spring, I like taking pictures of fresh flowers.

3) During the summer, sometimes I have good luck taking photos of insects. One of my recent favorites was when I found a praying mantis.

4) The local zoo can provide some interesting opportunities.

5) Check the internet for people events near you. Since people expect to have their pictures taken, it might be easier than street photography.

6) Plan some time taking pictures at night, of city lights if possible.

7) I've noticed a lot of people on the forum show photos of interesting architecture.

8) Visit a museum or park with displays.

9) Go to the beach or to a river or lake and see what you can find.

10) Take a trip in a bus, train or car where you can take pictures as a passenger.

Maybe some other good folks could add more.

seeker moc
Like?
Re: Ten Ideas

Thanks, I'll try these ideas out sometime soon!

adventurer69
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: Images from Grand Turk
In reply to Dave Throgmartin, 7 months ago

Simply beautiful .

adventurer69's gear list:adventurer69's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM +2 more
Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 40,999
Like?

Airport for commercial or small airports for home builts etc.

Car Racing, boats or ships.

CC

Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 749
Like?
In reply to karl mohr, 7 months ago

karl mohr wrote:

Dave, when you were there did you see the replica of John Glenn's Friendship 7?

I did not, where was it?

Dave

Dave Throgmartin
Like?
In reply to dzba, 7 months ago

dzba wrote:

Hi Dave,

nice bright colors in these photos. Are you achieving this with camera settings or in post processing? These sure brighten up the day here where it's grey and windy. Thanks for posting these, Mike

dzba,

My normal process for shots like these is to shoot RAW.  I edit in Lightroom 4.

The normal first edits are to change the white point and black point first usually until just before blinking and then I'll edit highlights and shadows to suit the image.  I'll use add vibrance (15 to 25), adjust contrast, and add some clarity (usually +15) if needed.  If any of the colors need changing I'll work with individual colors saturation & hue.  Lastly, I'll usually apply lens correction and export as a JPG.

I'm not very good at sharpening RAW files so I'll open in Photoshop Elements and use Unsharp Mask settings 85, 1, 4 typically.  If 85 is too much I'll back off as needed.

It might sound like a lot of messing around, but it takes about 2-3 minutes per image now that I've gotten the hang of it.

IMHO, getting myself to be mediocre at editing images has been more valuable than a camera or lens upgrade.

If you'd like any more detail I could post a before and after of any of the images and more comments on why I made the changes I did.

Dave

Dave Throgmartin
Like?
In reply to adventurer69, 7 months ago

adventurer69 wrote:

Simply beautiful .

Thanks, you are very kind.

Dave

karl mohr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Throgmartin, 7 months ago

Dave Throgmartin wrote:

karl mohr wrote:

Dave, when you were there did you see the replica of John Glenn's Friendship 7?

I did not, where was it?

Dave

I only saw it out the corner of my eye, and then dismissed it - we saw it up close on our first visit - I must have been pre-occupied or something.

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41/HTML/000390.html

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Digirame
Like?
In reply to Canadian Club, 7 months ago

Thanks CC for the extra ideas for photography.

At our airport I enjoy taking pictures of the planes each year at our annual air show. For boat racing, our dragon boat races are interesting along the Willamette River. They are very colorful too. I haven't gone to car races, but I understand that a lot of people do that also.

You do show excellent pictures at the airport and while being in the planes in the sky.  The boats and ships in the river that you capture look good too. Snow or sunshine...you get out there and take photographs.

chile7236
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?

Digirame wrote:

Those are nice action shots. The Sigma 150-500mm lens looks like it gives you sharp photos. I'm thinking about getting the Tamron 150-600mm lens, but I'm waiting a while. There's a high demand and low supply and there might be some issues of autofocusing on some copies of the lens.

the 150-500 works better with the 7D but i am able to use it with the SL1/100D.  i like it so far.  a bit tiring to hold but i don't like using a tripod for surf shooting.  thank you.

chile7236's gear list:chile7236's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 100D Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads