Do I need to go dual system?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
fishywisht
Senior MemberPosts: 1,334
Like?
Re: Do I need to go dual system?
In reply to KatManDEW, 9 months ago

KatManDEW wrote:

I'm itching for a 7D replacement, with truly improved image quality, and improved AF (I'm not interested in dual pixel drivel). My 7D is just not reliable with my 200-400

Can you provide as much information as you like on the autofocus of the 7D with such telephotos. Is it deficient in tracking or is it more a matter of individual focus point sensitivity. I ask because the 9-point APS-C were inadequate companions to the APS-H line so maybe the 19 point 7D is a viable alternative, maybe not. The most fuss-free autofocus I think I used was the 51-point Nikon one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KatManDEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,751Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Gerstner, 9 months ago

Mike Gerstner wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

I'm no spring chicken and I'm getting older in a hurry Among other things, I like to shoot landscapes, and it's hard to argue with that D800 sensor for landscapes. I still haven't ruled out the a7R.

If landscapes is your main subject you might consider one of the Sigma DP Merrill series cameras.

Yeah, the camera is slow, along with their processing software, but if you can get around that the results are quite amazing. My 5D III & lenses is my main system, but I always have my DP2 Merrill (& tripod) at the ready for landscape shots.

The learning curve is a little different (shooting & processing) but the results (pixel level detail, tonal gradation, micro contrast/acutance) are hard to beat. Accurate color can be a challenge on rare occasions, but a trip thru ACR usually fixes that.

fwiw I'm kind of in the same boat. I do like the canon default colors better than the nikon, but the DR and shadow recovery of the nikon is pretty amazing. Hopefully canon can come up with something soon to match, sooner rather than later.

It'll be interesting to read about your experience if you do get the d800.

Just a test shot, but the foreground detail (and the overall detail) is something I could never achieve, IMHO, with the 5D III. Check out the "original" on either link below the image.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7203006296/photos/2761386/_sdi0641

good luck, Mike

Wow. That's really is impressive Mike. Thanks! I will check it out for sure.

I got to thinking (the wheels are really starting to turn...) - If I get a D800 and 14-24, then I can sell my Canon 16-35. Then get a Nikon 24-70, which would allow me to sell my Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II (I would still have my 24-105). Then where does it end? Sell My Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II and get a Nikon 70-200? This would actually make it not that painful to gradually move to dual system... Stay with Canon for mid to long focal length stuff, for now...

KatManDEW's gear list:KatManDEW's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
hotdog321
Forum ProPosts: 10,769
Like?

I have no idea what Canon will introduce next, but I'm a strong believer in sticking with one system or the other. It is a real pain learning and using dissimilar lenses and systems.

Unless you are printing billboard-sized images, I would be tempted to stick with Canon's meager 22 megapixel full-frame 5D III and top of the line "L" lenses.

Or I would take a similar approach with the Nikon system and get the best body(ies) and best lenses. Either system will produce spectacular results.

KatManDEW
Like?
In reply to fishywisht, 9 months ago

fishywisht wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

I'm itching for a 7D replacement, with truly improved image quality, and improved AF (I'm not interested in dual pixel drivel). My 7D is just not reliable with my 200-400

Can you provide as much information as you like on the autofocus of the 7D with such telephotos. Is it deficient in tracking or is it more a matter of individual focus point sensitivity. I ask because the 9-point APS-C were inadequate companions to the APS-H line so maybe the 19 point 7D is a viable alternative, maybe not. The most fuss-free autofocus I think I used was the 51-point Nikon one.

Center point with expansion. Servo mode. Works great with my 7D and 70-200 f/2.8 II, and reasonbly well with the 70-300L and 100-400L. It's very hit or miss (mostly miss) with my 200-400. I've done MFA. It was only off by a few ticks with the 200-400, same as with my 5D3.

Zone AF, and all point tracking is pretty much a waste of time with the 7D and 200-400.

I sure hope they don't just slap a 70D sensor in the 7D and call it a 7DII.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
diness
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in both a 7d replacement and a d800?  They seem like incredibly different animals to me.

I think if you're interested in a 7d replacement (I assume for the crop factor, because otherwise your 5d III is better) I think you will probably get that wish pretty shortly.  The 7d is pretty old and the 7d II has been rumored for quite some time and I do believe that will happen in the first half of 2014.

as for competing with the d800, that one I have no idea on.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,701Gear list
Like?

Canon 5D3 and 24-70II

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
-- hide signature --

I'm no spring chicken and I'm getting older in a hurry

I can relate to that…makes me think twice about buying more equipment. I have D800 bodies/3 Nikon lenses and I liked the light weight, quiet shutter of the 6D when I traveled but two brands  of flashes, lenses, batteries…when does it end?

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

Only you can tell.

I picked up A7R recently to complement to my 5D3 and can share the same set of Canon lenses that is one of decisive factors. In addition I want a small/light ML FF camera with excellent DR and sufficient resolution (36mp is more than sufficient to me actually). My tele lenses stay with Canon DSLRs anyway while A7R is mainly for landscape and portrait/studio. Hope Canon will have next generation sensors soon that can match to Sony's sensors' DR and resolution (latter is not critical to me although I aware many demand a meg-pixel camera). I don't think Canon will have an A7R-like small/light ML camera with an excellent EVF (yes I want EVF in landscape photos that has a big advantage over OVF) anytime soon so A7R will stay with me.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 773
Like?
In reply to aftab, 9 months ago

I truly hope you're right, and it's great news that others are catching up with Sony.  I'm still open to going dual system; there are certainly advantages beyond getting the best sensor - like getting the best lenses on offer from both Nikon and Canon.  Still, it would probably be more economical in the short term to be able to just stick with one system.

I'm still somewhat nervous that it will take a significant erosion of Canon's market position for them to lay their cards on the table.  Time will tell!

Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,371Gear list
Like?

KatManDEW wrote:

Got my 5D3 two years ago this week. Also have a 7D and nine "L" lenses. I've drooled over the D800 since the day I got my 5D3. And like many, I'm itching for a 7D replacement, with truly improved image quality, and improved AF (I'm not interested in dual pixel drivel). My 7D is just not reliable with my 200-400, and it's hard to argue against that D800 sensor (for some uses).
I know no one knows, but I'm interested if anyone has any convincing thoughts about whether Canon will introduce anything compelling this year, like before fall... If I had a crystal ball and knew Canon was just going to do nothing, I would order a D800 and lens right now. I've looked hard at the a7R and I don't think it's for me.
I know, many fanboys are going to whine. Go ahead. It's my money.

What do you photograph? For portraiture, you'll be hard-pressed to see a significant detail advantage with the D800 and even especially sharp lenses–most portraits simply don't demand high resolution. For subject matter and/or styles that benefit from fine detail rendition, the D800(e) makes more sense (you will, however, need some cracking good lenses, again, to realize a significant advantage over the 5DIII and equally-good Canon lenses). Of course, I'm assuming good technique from you.

The big difference is in dynamic range through ISO 800, where the D800(e) easily laps the 5DIII. If your style trades on maximum DR in high contrast lighting, especially with active subjects, then whether or not to add a D800(e) (or, frankly, and other of many cameras with more usable dynamic range) becomes an easier decision.

FTR, for years I was a two-system user, and I have owned and used both the 5DIII and D800.

Good luck with your choice.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +8 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,551Gear list
Like?
I went dual platform before the D800

I see no compelling reason for you to do so judging by your statements below especially if you are willing to wait until the fall.

Here's part of my thought process for using both systems but it evolved over 6 years as my needs changed. I know the boobirds will try to discredit some of this but I do not have time at this moment to write up the complete rationales and chrono order.

1.) I carry two cameras at a time nearly always. I try to avoid lens changes especially in the windy dusty places I go.

2.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to get their UWA shat together.

2a.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to answer the D800 (bear in mind that if the rumors are true, the new hi-rez will not be a D800 answer [aka affordable hi rez] if it is released as a 1 series body). You may be looking back at the D800 again soon.

3.) I wanted the 14-24G & 24-70G (pre-24-70II) but did not want to use an adapter and lose function. And I wanted to use my 5 Zeiss lenses on their native Nikon mount and be done with iffy adapters altogether.

4.) I bought a used D3x so that I could use the 14-24G and 24-70G in lieu of the 16-35 II and 24-105.

Obviously, Canon is going to release a hi rez sensor on some body type most likely this year so, to me, that solves one of your problems, at least as stated.

For me, the compelling reasons at this stage in the game go beyond a sensor to sensor p!ssing contest. Does Nikon have some lenses or other equipment with IQs or capability that beat Canon's equivalents? I think they do. How about features? I have run into amenities in the Nikon cams I wish that Canon had an equivalent for. I think Nikon users are happier with their flash than Canon folk are. Nikon cams seem to have a button for nearly everything. OTOH, Nikon cams have a button for nearly everything - making it impossible sometimes to combine the use of certain features that can be done on a Canon cam. Canon has the upper hand in some things too. For example, if you are a Live View user, prepare yourself for a rude awakening on a D800. On a D3x, LV is really terrible.

And... Nikon does not have a 5D3 equivalent IMO.

KatManDEW wrote:

Got my 5D3 two years ago this week. Also have a 7D and nine "L" lenses. I've drooled over the D800 since the day I got my 5D3. And like many, I'm itching for a 7D replacement, with truly improved image quality, and improved AF (I'm not interested in dual pixel drivel). My 7D is just not reliable with my 200-400, and it's hard to argue against that D800 sensor (for some uses).
I know no one knows, but I'm interested if anyone has any convincing thoughts about whether Canon will introduce anything compelling this year, like before fall... If I had a crystal ball and knew Canon was just going to do nothing, I would order a D800 and lens right now. I've looked hard at the a7R and I don't think it's for me.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
KatManDEW
Like?
Re: I went dual platform before the D800
In reply to Rick Knepper, 9 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

I see no compelling reason for you to do so judging by your statements below especially if you are willing to wait until the fall.

Here's part of my thought process for using both systems but it evolved over 6 years as my needs changed. I know the boobirds will try to discredit some of this but I do not have time at this moment to write up the complete rationales and chrono order.

1.) I carry two cameras at a time nearly always. I try to avoid lens changes especially in the windy dusty places I go.

2.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to get their UWA shat together.

2a.) I got tired of waiting on Canon to answer the D800 (bear in mind that if the rumors are true, the new hi-rez will not be a D800 answer [aka affordable hi rez] if it is released as a 1 series body). You may be looking back at the D800 again soon.

3.) I wanted the 14-24G & 24-70G (pre-24-70II) but did not want to use an adapter and lose function. And I wanted to use my 5 Zeiss lenses on their native Nikon mount and be done with iffy adapters altogether.

4.) I bought a used D3x so that I could use the 14-24G and 24-70G in lieu of the 16-35 II and 24-105.

Obviously, Canon is going to release a hi rez sensor on some body type most likely this year so, to me, that solves one of your problems, at least as stated.

For me, the compelling reasons at this stage in the game go beyond a sensor to sensor p!ssing contest. Does Nikon have some lenses or other equipment with IQs or capability that beat Canon's equivalents? I think they do. How about features? I have run into amenities in the Nikon cams I wish that Canon had an equivalent for. I think Nikon users are happier with their flash than Canon folk are. Nikon cams seem to have a button for nearly everything. OTOH, Nikon cams have a button for nearly everything - making it impossible sometimes to combine the use of certain features that can be done on a Canon cam. Canon has the upper hand in some things too. For example, if you are a Live View user, prepare yourself for a rude awakening on a D800. On a D3x, LV is really terrible.

And... Nikon does not have a 5D3 equivalent IMO.

KatManDEW wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Agree with pretty much everything there Rick. I've been wanting a second FF body to shoot along with my 5D3 (to avoid lens swaps, and save time), and the 6D is not what I hoped it would be. So It's looking very much like that second body unfortunately won't be one that can share my Canon lenses (A D800).

No, Nikon doesn't have a 5D3 equivalent, yet. That may come in the form of a D700s... If I start migrating now, I'll have more than one Nikon lens to use if a D700s does materialize. Until if/when that happens, I still have my 5D3, along with lots of Canon lenses that will become redundant as I migrate. Which will allow me to sell those redundant Canon lenses and migrate even further...

As for a Canon high res body, like many folks, I worry that if it ever materializes, it will be ridiculously expensive compared to the D800. And, wait till fall, of what year? Fall is a bad time for a new camera for me anyway. It's wise to not purchase a camera model until the technology is shown to be sound, which means now we're into the dark hibernation season (winter). So if there was a new camera in the fall, that means not until abouta year from now... Scratch off another full year waiting on Canon. Life is flying by now, and Nikon has a high res body now, today, with spring summer and fall on the horizon, before the next dreaded global warming winter.

And I personally seriously doubt Canon's commitment to still photography in the future. Around 8 years ago I saw a Canon video about their vision of the future of photography in 20 years, and it was 100% video, with stills taken from uber high resolution video. Now only 12 years from their vision of the future, it appears that's exactly what they are concentrating on.

If Canon can at least throw me a bone in the form of a new 7D to spend some of my potential Nikon money on, it might stave off my migration for a short while. (As I mentioned originally, I want to keep a crop body for the strengths a crop body provide). But if it's a rotten bone in the form of a 7D with no improvement other than the video centric 70D sensor, I'm afraid I might have to pass. More money to migrate with, and hope that Nikon doesn't go video centric with a D400. Dual pixel AF doesn't do anything for manual focus lenses, like TS-E's. It's for soccer mom's and pop's. Nothing wrong with that. It will score big for Canon. Just not my cup of tea.

Camera equipment is just that in my book - equipment. Like automobiles or shop tools, I could care less if there's a Ford, Chevy, Craftsman, on Snap On logo on them. Unfortunately Canon and Nikon wheels and tires aren't interchangeable

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,050
Like?

KatManDEW wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Buy a 10th lens. I am serious.

Another TS-E, and a a7R to go with it?

That would be a great combo, seriously, I am a dual system Canon 1DS3 1DS2 and Nikon D800E users and actually planning to add the A7R so I can use my TSE 17 on a 36 MP high DR sensor, sounds like a great combo for landscape. as much as l like the D800E but it kind of sucks to let the TSE 17 and TSE 24 sit in the closet, so A7R is a really attractive alternative, but I actually hate the small form factor of the a7R and wish I can have that sensor in the 1DS body.

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,050
Like?
Why not if that works for you?

KatManDEW wrote:

I see no reason not to go dual or even triple system if that fits your own requirement and preference, going dual system doesn't necessary mean super expensive, you don't have to duplicate every lens and every accessories. A lot of people shoot with multiple bodies anyay, just a matter of one canon one Nikon or two Canon bodies, in my case, for landscape stuffs, I shoot with Zeiss primes in ZF/ZF2 mount, that makes a universal lens for me, I can use it on my D800E, 1DS3 and my even the yet to come a7R. one lens fit all. and for some more specialize lens, I only pick the one that I prefer, such as I prefer Canon skin tone, and I love the 85LII, therefore Canon 85L II and 135L is my portrait lens on 1DS3, I don't like Nikon skin tone as much so I don't need to buy any additional Portrait lens on the Nikon side, well, I already have AIS 105 from 20 years ago which will serve as a decent portrait lens if I want to shoot Portrait with D800anyway, and for landscape, my favorite is D800E, so I sold all my Canon 17-40 and 16-35 and now only have the 14-24, Samyang 14, Zeiss 21, Zeiss 35, Zeiss 50, Zeiss 100, so hardly any duplicate. actually I do have duplicate FL lenses like 35 Sigma and 35 Zeiss, but only a few. and I also have some old AIS from Nikon from film days which I also shoot on Canon body regularly, such as my AIS 28 2.8, AIS 50 1.2, 105 F2.5...... And reason I am lookng forward to the a7R is to mount my TSE 17 and TSE 24 II on a high resolution high DR sensor for landscape appication, that means all I need is a sony body and no going to buy any additional Sony E mount lens at all. again.

KatManDEW
Like?
Re: Why not if that works for you?
In reply to Dan_168, 9 months ago

Dan_168 wrote:

I see no reason not to go dual or even triple system if that fits your own requirement and preference, going dual system doesn't necessary mean super expensive, you don't have to duplicate every lens and every accessories. A lot of people shoot with multiple bodies anyay, just a matter of one canon one Nikon or two Canon bodies, in my case, for landscape stuffs, I shoot with Zeiss primes in ZF/ZF2 mount, that makes a universal lens for me, I can use it on my D800E, 1DS3 and my even the yet to come a7R. one lens fit all. and for some more specialize lens, I only pick the one that I prefer, such as I prefer Canon skin tone, and I love the 85LII, therefore Canon 85L II and 135L is my portrait lens on 1DS3, I don't like Nikon skin tone as much so I don't need to buy any additional Portrait lens on the Nikon side, well, I already have AIS 105 from 20 years ago which will serve as a decent portrait lens if I want to shoot Portrait with D800anyway, and for landscape, my favorite is D800E, so I sold all my Canon 17-40 and 16-35 and now only have the 14-24, Samyang 14, Zeiss 21, Zeiss 35, Zeiss 50, Zeiss 100, so hardly any duplicate. actually I do have duplicate FL lenses like 35 Sigma and 35 Zeiss, but only a few. and I also have some old AIS from Nikon from film days which I also shoot on Canon body regularly, such as my AIS 28 2.8, AIS 50 1.2, 105 F2.5...... And reason I am lookng forward to the a7R is to mount my TSE 17 and TSE 24 II on a high resolution high DR sensor for landscape appication, that means all I need is a sony body and no going to buy any additional Sony E mount lens at all. again.

Thanks for the perspectives Dan. The TSE's are one thing holding me back on a D800 purchase, and making me think about the a7R. I don't like the a7R form factor, and like some others have reported, I had a bad Sony product support experience in years gone by, so I don't like the idea of investing in a Sony product again.

I'm compiling a pro's and con's list. It would sure be easier if Canon had something to compete with Nikon/Sony.

Soothsayerman
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

KatManDEW wrote:

John Zeman wrote:

As long as it's your money I think you should get the D800 and buy 9 expensive Nikon lenses to go with it.
Oorrrrrrr wait and see what Canon does, what's the hurry?

I'm no spring chicken and I'm getting older in a hurry Among other things, I like to shoot landscapes, and it's hard to argue with that D800 sensor for landscapes. I still haven't ruled out the a7R.

If you like to do landscapes then a Sony A7R with the Canon TSE 17 and 24mm. Take a look...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/A7R-review/

I wouldn't move to the 800 unless I got the 800E

-- hide signature --

'Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed.' ~ Winogrand

Soothsayerman's gear list:Soothsayerman's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 450D +10 more
Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 844Gear list
Like?
In reply to Soothsayerman, 9 months ago

Soothsayerman wrote:

If you like to do landscapes then a Sony A7R with the Canon TSE 17 and 24mm. Take a look...

I reckon it'd be a bit extravagant to invest in another system whose capabilities are really almost identical (i.e. another FF brand with another set of FF lenses). Far too much overlap. If highest resolution, best image quality and landscape photography are priorities over handling speed, frame rate etc etc and versatility, then medium format would be a much better choice.

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +1 more
KatManDEW
Like?

Soothsayerman wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

John Zeman wrote:

As long as it's your money I think you should get the D800 and buy 9 expensive Nikon lenses to go with it.

-- hide signature --

'Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed.' ~ Winogrand

I've been over there reading the massive message thread about it, but I hadn't seen the review. Thanks for the link!

Really impressive stuff. PITA implementation with the adapter and DIY internal reflection solution, but really impressive results. Really do not want to go that route and really do not want a Sony product, but I cannot overlook the idea. Dog gone shame Canon can't get their act together

Once positive about the a7R that we probably won't see from Canon, when and if we ever see a high res and high DR Canon body, is the tilt screen. I have a Nexus 7 that I've been trying as a pseudo tilt screen with my 5D3, and it's a horribly clumsy and frustrating joke compared to a built-in tilt screen. I can't even think about getting it out of my bag in the amount of time it takes to flip out a built-in tilt screen.

qianp2k
Like?

Soothsayerman wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

John Zeman wrote:

Indeed. I am very impressed by A7R for evening shots. I pushed shadow +100 (and sometime even added another +0.3 ~ +1 EV) in LR5, still pretty clean in shadows.

24-70L II on A7R. Prague, 20 sec exposure

24-70L II on A7R. 30-sec exposure. I know need to clean dusts.

24-70L II on A7R. Budapest.

I also carried 17mm TS-E. However just before the trip I found my copy suddenly has severe decenter issue. Even without any T/E and precisely focus at right side. The 1/4 part of photo at right side is very messy so I didn't use much in my recent trip. I found actually it's (much) easier to use 17mm TS-E lens on A7R than on 5D3. You might not believe it but it's true. With 5D3, I need to measure metering before T/E, then change to manual mode and start T/E and then struggle between OVF and LV before taking a photo. With A7R, no such need and I still can shoot at A mode as its LV automatically will update metering when T/E out and EVF is so easy to check actual metering and live histogram before even you taking photos. Also A7R MF is (much) easier with focus-assistant (also focus peaking but I didn't count on). Press C1 button once, it goes to 7x and twice goes to 14x magnification thru either LCD or better with EVF such as under bright sunlight (auto switch between). Here is a sample you can see the severe decentering at right side. I am sending it to Canon for repairing. I have no idea when the lens developed into this issue. In my last trip to Mexico it's still good and I didn't use much in the past. Could be during trip to Africa although I almost didn't use it actually. But now I have more reasons to use it on A7R and actually lots easier.

17mm TS-E on A7R. Vienna, Austria

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, 9 months ago

Dan_168 wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Buy a 10th lens. I am serious.

Another TS-E, and a a7R to go with it?

That would be a great combo, seriously, I am a dual system Canon 1DS3 1DS2 and Nikon D800E users and actually planning to add the A7R so I can use my TSE 17 on a 36 MP high DR sensor, sounds like a great combo for landscape. as much as l like the D800E but it kind of sucks to let the TSE 17 and TSE 24 sit in the closet, so A7R is a really attractive alternative, but I actually hate the small form factor of the a7R and wish I can have that sensor in the 1DS body.

Everyone has different priority. To me small/light body (and lenses) is #1 reason to get A7R (the same as I got EOS-M package earlier). In the evening in my trip, just left 5D3 in hotel. Carried A7R on my shoulder without a bag. FE 35 or FE 55 (that going to acquire) on A7R is so small/light and so easy to carry with, together with a 2.2 lb traveling tripod. For WA I could stitch photos. FE 35 is already pretty sharp lens (at f/5.6 it's sharper) and FE 55 is further noticeably sharper with whopping 29 mpix in DXO test that can rival $4K Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 that is a MF lens on D800E (and we know its LV is not very good).

FE 35 on A7R. Salzburg, Austria

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads