Silly question about aspect ratio - do you shoot 4:3 or 3:2?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
Silly question about aspect ratio - do you shoot 4:3 or 3:2?
6 months ago

I have no idea why my gh3 was set on 3:2 (I normally shoot with the 7-14mm lens); but I was adjusting the settings and noticed that 4:3 files were 16mb and 3:2 were 14mb.

Is there any loss to shooting 4:3 over 3:2; it seems like a no brainer to shoot 4:3 and then crop..but I recall reading that shooting 3:2 actually gives you a "longer" horizontal image vs a 4:3...so you actually do miss some of the subject when shooting in 4:3...true?

http://digital-photography-school.com/aspect-ratio-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453
Like?
Re: Silly question about aspect ratio - do you shoot 4:3 or 3:2?
In reply to jennajenna, 6 months ago

That image assumes you retain the vertical resolution - i.e. you're using a DSLR sensor in 4:3 crop mode.

With a 4:3 sensor - you'd end up chopping the top and the bottom off to maintain width.

This link shows the result of cropping a 4:3 shot various ways, as well as what gets cropped with photos taken with a 3:2 sensor:

http://tracy-larsen.com/blog/photo-tips-aspect-ratios-cropping/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?

jennajenna wrote:

I have no idea why my gh3 was set on 3:2 (I normally shoot with the 7-14mm lens); but I was adjusting the settings and noticed that 4:3 files were 16mb and 3:2 were 14mb.

Is there any loss to shooting 4:3 over 3:2; it seems like a no brainer to shoot 4:3 and then crop..but I recall reading that shooting 3:2 actually gives you a "longer" horizontal image vs a 4:3...so you actually do miss some of the subject when shooting in 4:3...true?

http://digital-photography-school.com/aspect-ratio-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters

No you don't lose anything with the native aspect ratio.

The diagram you posted is deliberately misleading.

If you crop to 3:2 on a 4:3 camera, you lose resolution.

4:3 is more efficient in using more of a lens' image circle

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 600D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +1 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,808Gear list
Like?
Silly answer, I shoot 16:9

jennajenna wrote:

[image badly misleading in our context... deleted it]

Check out the pixel dimensions of your results at variously 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 and see how on some Panasonic cameras the image gets wider as the tops and bottoms get cropped. My LX3 does that and probably your GH3?

Olympus and most other Panasonic just progressively crop the top and bottom to get the different aspect ratios and the width stays the same.

As the image is cropped there is a "loss" of megapixels but if the subject is the same size in the frame then there's no loss of resolution. Same "pixels per duck" so to speak.

In Olympus's case no matter what aspect ratio you shoot (or use 2x digital tele converter) then you always get the full 4:3 image in RAW. I take advantage of that on my E-PL5 by shooting 16:9 to get the biggest possible image on my LCD and then later use the 4:3 RAW to extract whatever I want from the image.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Desert Rose
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
4:3 v. 3:2
In reply to Guy Parsons, 6 months ago

The only problem I've encountered with 4:3 aspect ratio is printing 4x6's; especially if you don't have time to crop each one, something's gonna get lost.  That doesn't usually matter unless in the original image you've filled the entire frame with essential elements. You usually do lose something no matter which aspect ratio and print size you use. However, other than 4x6's the 4:3 ratio is closer to that of  most standard print sizes, e.g. 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20.

leafinsectman
Contributing MemberPosts: 763
Like?

Mostly 3:2 on my E-P3 to match the LCD aspect ratio but I switch to 4:3 when shooting raw or when shooting with an UWA lens.

3:2 or 16:9 on my GH1. I love the multi aspect ratio and I wish newer cameras would have it.

tomnorth
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?
It's actually a good question

I've gone back and forth on this. I shoot both a D800 and a GH3. For that reason I started out with my GH3 at 3:2 to match my D800. Later I changed the GH3 to 4:3 to gain the extra resolution. I have just decided to back to 3:2 though. What drove this decision has to do with making large prints for a showing. Most of my shots were from my D800. I wanted the lone GH3 image in the group to look the same, so I had to crop it at a 3:2 aspect ratio. I use every bit of the viewfinder when composing an image. In this case what I lost at the top wasn't crucial, but it did make me realize that I'm better off composing in 3:2 if that's where the prints will end up. One side benefit of using the 3:2 aspect ratio on my GH3 is that the entire surface of the LCD and EVF is used.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +9 more
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
I shoot the native ratio of the sensor

Which is 4:3 for most current m4/3 bodies. If needed, I crop to the final ratio in post.

The GH1&2 had multi aspect ratio sensors so there was an advantage to choosing the appropriate ratio in camera. Aside from that, all you get is a cropped version anyway, so I capture what the sensor is capable of.
--
A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,845Gear list
Like?

4:3, 100% of the time. I rarely print, and when I do it's never using a 3:2 format size.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +10 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,439Gear list
Like?

I shoot the native aspect ratio of the sensor. If I need another aspect ratio, I crop in post. And I very rarely crop, except to do a square crop.

If the sensor has more than one native aspect ratio (the case in this system with only the Panasonic GH1 and GH2), then I choose the native aspect ratio that best fits the shot. Unless I'm using a two-camera setup. Then I'll choose whatever they have in common for the sake of visual consistency.

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
A3000 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
Vlad S
Senior MemberPosts: 3,096Gear list
Like?
Shoot closest to display AR

jennajenna wrote:

Is there any loss to shooting 4:3 over 3:2; it seems like a no brainer to shoot 4:3 and then crop..

Like tomnorth said, composing for one aspect ratio, and displaying at another can result in problems when cropping. I suggest you shoot in the ratio at which you are most likely to display the image. I print most of mine at 8x10, so 4:3 works for me better than 3:2, but if you print at 8x12, then 3:2 would be better.

Cropping in post only sounds like an easy solution, but in my experience if you like to frame tightly, it's too easy to loose important parts of the image.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
I shoot both.....

I have my EP-3 & E-M1 set to 3:2 and to record jpeg & raw and therefore I frame the shot as 3:2 which is good for landscapes but useless for portraits where you want 3:4.

When PPing  with LR5.3  you can keep the 3.2 frame in raw or adjust it to better suit the composition or reset it to get all the 4:3 image data. This way I get to use the full lcd & evf screen to frame the shot.

Rgds, Rob

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,100Gear list
Like?

I shoot only at 4:3.  I found, when I started using DSLRs, that I really disliked the 3:2 ratio, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got my first M43 camera that it seemed to see the way I did with its 4:3 sensor.

Once in a while I will play with a 1:1 crop in camera, but that's rare, and usually only when I am doing macro work with flowers, if at all.  Mostly I will crop later if necessary to get to a different aspect ratio if the image requires it.

-J

tanniewu
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: 4:3 v. 3:2
In reply to Desert Rose, 6 months ago

nowadays printing shops can print 4D instead of 4R, which is 4" but in 4:3 format, which looks a lot larger than 4R and very satisfying

And ya I shoot 4:3 coz it makes use of the full resolution of the sensor, and I kinda feel that shooting 3:2, some of the image produced by the lens is "wasted"

-- hide signature --

TWu
E-M5, HLD-6, E-P5, GX1, XZ-1, XZ-2, TG-1, VF-3, VF-4, LVF2, FL-50R, FL-300R, FL-600R
9-18, 12-35, 12-50, 35-100, 14-140 II, 100-300, 17/1.8, 25/1.4, 45/1.8
Pentacon 50/1.8 (m42)

tanniewu's gear list:tanniewu's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +14 more
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,891Gear list
Like?
Re: 4:3 v. 3:2
In reply to tanniewu, 6 months ago

tanniewu wrote:

And ya I shoot 4:3 coz it makes use of the full resolution of the sensor, and I kinda feel that shooting 3:2, some of the image produced by the lens is "wasted"

Resolution has no meaning if your framing is not what it should be. Most larger sensors have more pixels anyway, and cropping to a different formats is hardly a downside. It is the ratio or framing that one often feels more comfortable with (for a certain subject at least) than with what it would be (look like) if it were different.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,859
Like?

I shoot 4:3.

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,319Gear list
Like?
With your camera it's best to shoot 4:3 and then crop.

With the GH1 & 2 or any other camera with a multi-aspect-ratio sensor it makes sense to shoot 3:2 as it will use a larger horizontal part of the sensor (and a bit smaller vertical part) than when shooting 4:3. But on the GH3 and many other cameras the sensor really only does 4:3 and other aspect ratios mean cropping from that image. So on your camera you do not gain width by shooting 3:2 but you do lose height.

There is also a difference in what cameras save in a RAW image file. The cropping done by setting the aspect ratio may delete the unused pixels from the RAW file or may leave them in. When the unused data is left in the image (as with Olympus cameras) you could uncrop the image in post-processing if your RAW convertor allows it. (ACR and Lightroom for instance can do that with cameras introduced after the E-M5 (not including the E-M5 itself despite the data being in the files).

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,672Gear list
Like?
In reply to leafinsectman, 6 months ago

leafinsectman wrote:

Mostly 3:2 on my E-P3 to match the LCD aspect ratio

Same with me, though I also do prints and the stores in my area print in 3:2. I don't like letting them crop my pics so it's better to shoot them "right" to avoid me the hassle of cropping them afterwards.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Nikon D610 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 +7 more
Isabel Cutler
Forum ProPosts: 14,656
Like?
Re: Guy?
In reply to Guy Parsons, 6 months ago

In Olympus's case no matter what aspect ratio you shoot (or use 2x digital tele converter) then you always get the full 4:3 image in RAW. I take advantage of that on my E-PL5 by shooting 16:9 to get the biggest possible image on my LCD and then later use the 4:3 RAW to extract whatever I want from the image.

Regards..... Guy

I wondered about this so I set my e-pl5 for 3:2 and I definitely do not have a 4:3 raw - it is 3:2.

What am I missing?

Isabel

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,808Gear list
Like?
Re: Guy?
In reply to Isabel Cutler, 6 months ago

Isabel Cutler wrote:

Regards..... Guy

I wondered about this so I set my e-pl5 for 3:2 and I definitely do not have a 4:3 raw - it is 3:2.

What am I missing?

Isabel

The RAW is always 4:3 but some RAW converters are not smart enough to know that, they default to the jpeg settings. Usually there's a way to get to the full image.

Olympus Viewer 3 does 4:3 when asked, Silkypix does 4:3 by default, also AfterShot Pro does 4:3 by default.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads