Nikon 1 Series Owners-What other Nikon Digital Camera is in your bag?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Vincent Aquilino
Regular MemberPosts: 317
Like?
Nikon 1 Series Owners-What other Nikon Digital Camera is in your bag?
9 months ago

I'am always reading the Nikon is worried about the 1 series eating away profits from the Dslr cameras,I guess mainly the D3300 and D 5300.My point being is are the majority of 1 series owners own those cameras or do they own the D4,D800,D7100.If the higher end Nikon owners are the majority buying the 1 series then they should not be worried about the lower end sales of dslrs.  yes/no?

Nikon D3300 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,689Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 Series Owners-What other Nikon Digital Camera is in your bag?
In reply to Vincent Aquilino, 9 months ago

I bought a V1 first with some native lenses, then the FT1, then some AFS lenses, then a D 3200

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409
Like?

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

I'am always reading the Nikon is worried about the 1 series eating away profits from the Dslr cameras,I guess mainly the D3300 and D 5300.My point being is are the majority of 1 series owners own those cameras or do they own the D4,D800,D7100.If the higher end Nikon owners are the majority buying the 1 series then they should not be worried about the lower end sales of dslrs. yes/no?

Apart from my V1 I also have a D700.

Knowing what the V1 is capable of I see no reason why I would want a D3xxx or D5xxx body.

I use my D700 for paid work and my V1 for everything else, it is my go-everywhere camera and I love using it despite it's quirks. To my mind the strengths of the V1 (and the V2, and I suspect the new V3) outweighs it's shortcomings BY FAR.

The N1 cameras still amaze me with their sheer competence, and I really, really hope that the N1 system will go from strength to strength.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Gaber
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,523
Like?

I have a D7000 and while I think the D7K is a far better camera, I tend to pick up the V2 twice as much. It is small, light and dependable IQ,

I also still have a Coolpix 4500, which some of you old timers will remember. You can't throw away a great camera.

MJW1
Contributing MemberPosts: 854Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gaber, 9 months ago

I have a D5000 and also a D50, as well as my V1.

MJW1's gear list:MJW1's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon D50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +15 more
Crashton
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?

I have a D3000 & D7000, most of the time I pick up the V1. Not ready to leave my DSLRs completely.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DxO FilmPack 3 Essential +4 more
Stemu
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to Crashton, 9 months ago

I had first D5100 but was never happy with its size, dark viewfinder, kit zoom and video quality. After getting V1, that big DSLR is pretty much retired. I use it sometimes inside if I need better high ISO and in built flash.

In addition I have Canon HF M406 video camera, but V1 is takes better video.

Stemu's gear list:Stemu's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,168
Like?
D5100
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

digital ed
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008Gear list
Like?

Had the D800, wanted a smaller camera for snaps. Bought V2 with FT-1 to use my FX lenses on it.

Happy with V2, video with good PP is better than I expected, no reason to consider the V3.

For quality shots, the D800. For good snapshots, the N1V2. Never carry both at the same time.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,121
Like?
d800

and an unused NEX7.

Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?

D700.
I bought the V1 as a replacement for a Canon G11. What I wanted was EVF, manual zoom, fast AF and significantly smaller than the D700.
No camera met my requirements three years ago until Nikon released the N1 system.

Nikon DX was too large, m4/3 wasn’t there yet, Nex had a hopeless UI, Fuji had nothing yet, Leica was a bit too rangefinderish.

If I were on the same quest today, both Olympus and Fuji have some interesting options.
Still, the N1 system has proven to suit my needs very well and I’m glad, I took the plunge into that new system when it was released.

pwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?

D700 backup D70 - V1 backup J1.

Soon D700 - V3 backup/spare V1

the D70 never goes out any more.

-- hide signature --

Paul
Just an old dos guy

Kevin Omura
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?

Vincent Aquilino wrote:

I'am always reading the Nikon is worried about the 1 series eating away profits from the Dslr cameras,I guess mainly the D3300 and D 5300.My point being is are the majority of 1 series owners own those cameras or do they own the D4,D800,D7100.If the higher end Nikon owners are the majority buying the 1 series then they should not be worried about the lower end sales of dslrs. yes/no?

None, the V's were the first Nikon digitals I've owned, though I do own Nikon film cameras.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +46 more
Robert Morris
Contributing MemberPosts: 764Gear list
Like?

D90, Nex 6 , V1, S1 and way too many lenses.

-- hide signature --

RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D90 +34 more
kenbass
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?

I have a D800, D700 and a D300. I also have a V1 which I think takes fantastic pictures. I use it mainly for wildlife because my 70-300 VR becomes 810 MM. I will be purchasing the V3.

kenbass's gear list:kenbass's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +9 more
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?

I have a D7000 with a 35mm, 50mm AFD, 10-200 VR2, 70-200 vr1 f2.8, and a 70-300 Tamron lens.

90% of my shots are with the V1.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
David A. Hamments
Senior MemberPosts: 1,316Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenbass, 9 months ago

kenbass wrote:

I have a D800, D700 and a D300. I also have a V1 which I think takes fantastic pictures. I use it mainly for wildlife because my 70-300 VR becomes 810 MM. I will be purchasing the V3.

I also use Nikon FX (D700), DX (D7100) and CX (V2).  Each system has its strengths and therefore different uses.  I initially bought the V1 as a 2.7x teleconvertor for birding, but fell in love with the size and weight and quickly added four lenses.  While organizing my flickr site recently, I was surprised to discover that fully one third of my posts are from Nikon 1 system cameras.... and in many instances, one can't tell the difference!

Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Jim F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,766
Like?

I own a D800E and a V2/FT1. Will soon own a D7100 for wildlife reach (same battery as the D800E). Have used the V2 with the FT1 for reach but not satisfied with V2 images (too much noise above base ISO). Trying to sell the V2 now. I'm undecided on the V3 (too many unanswered questions about operating details), mostly waiting to see how the sensor performs at higher ISOs (1600+).

archrich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?

I have a D600 and a D7100. I got a V2 kit last December and use it for snapshot type photos. My previous P&S's didn't give me the IQ I wanted and the V2 is a nice compliment to my dSLR's. I have an FT-1 and I'm thinking the V2 with my 70-200 f4 would work well for air shows.

Archie

archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +10 more
digital ed
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008Gear list
Like?
In reply to David A. Hamments, 9 months ago

David A. Hamments wrote:

I also use Nikon FX (D700), DX (D7100) and CX (V2). Each system has its strengths and therefore different uses. I initially bought the V1 as a 2.7x teleconvertor for birding, but fell in love with the size and weight and quickly added four lenses. While organizing my flickr site recently, I was surprised to discover that fully one third of my posts are from Nikon 1 system cameras.... and in many instances, one can't tell the difference!

Cheers, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David, your photos show the absolute correctness of the statement that it is the photographer not the camera that makes the photograph. Excellent work!

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads