Pre-wedding questions

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Flyinmotion
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Pre-wedding questions
9 months ago

Hi,

My friend asked me to shoot her pre-wedding photo. She knows I'm not a pro, but she wants us to have some fun and this is a cool project for me.

For my gear, I just got XT1 with 23mm and 2 batteries. I plan to get the 56mm lens late April. We plan to shoot their photo in second week of May.

Now, I need your help what I should buy or need for this shooting. Do I need off camera flash with softbox? On camera flash with Gary Fong diffuser is good enough? Any nice locations in the Bay Area for this type of event?

Thank you so much for your input!

T2

Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: Pre-wedding questions
In reply to Flyinmotion, 9 months ago

Flyinmotion wrote:

Hi,

My friend asked me to shoot her pre-wedding photo. She knows I'm not a pro, but she wants us to have some fun and this is a cool project for me.

For my gear, I just got XT1 with 23mm and 2 batteries. I plan to get the 56mm lens late April. We plan to shoot their photo in second week of May.

Now, I need your help what I should buy or need for this shooting. Do I need off camera flash with softbox? On camera flash with Gary Fong diffuser is good enough? Any nice locations in the Bay Area for this type of event?

T2

This in not to be rude. Its meant as a general warning.

You probably feel honored because your friend asked you to take images of one of the most important days in her life. But you should ask yourself an honest question. Are you up to the task?

If you have never shot a wedding before its best to tell your friend to hire a professional IF she really cares about the images to cherish and if she want images that should make her feel happy in 10 years time to come as well. Wedding pictures should make her happy as an everlasting moment.

Not taking the pictures yourself also frees you up from the pressure that goes with the day and allows you to party as well. Why put your friendship at stake? - Because if you scr3w up, you might be blamed for it later on.

If she doesn't care about her pictures and just want some to be taken as a remembrance why should you invest in gear?

Photography is not about the gear you onw, its about being able to capture the right moment.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flyinmotion
Like?
In reply to Just a Photographer, 9 months ago

Flyinmotion wrote:

Hi,

T2

This in not to be rude. Its meant as a general warning.

You probably feel honored because your friend asked you to take images of one of the most important days in her life. But you should ask yourself an honest question. Are you up to the task?

If you have never shot a wedding before its best to tell your friend to hire a professional IF she really cares about the images to cherish and if she want images that should make her feel happy in 10 years time to come as well. Wedding pictures should make her happy as an everlasting moment.

Not taking the pictures yourself also frees you up from the pressure that goes with the day and allows you to party as well. Why put your friendship at stake? - Because if you scr3w up, you might be blamed for it later on.

If she doesn't care about her pictures and just want some to be taken as a remembrance why should you invest in gear?

Photography is not about the gear you onw, its about being able to capture the right moment.

Thank you for your comment.

First, I enjoy doing this, no pressure and they don't have any financial hardship. It's all about I can learn something by doing this project.

Second, I'm sick with people keep talking about "it's not about gear comments" Please ask yourself why did you buy what you use to take pictures now? Why didn't you use $49.99 camera for your "hobby" and/or your professional projects? A cheap point-&-shoot camera is small, lightweight and it's perfect for your trip to Europe! May I ask what would you take with you then? X100 or $49.99 camera from Frys? Or You use your smartphone then?

It's a tool, but it must capable to get the job done right!

Thank you,

Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

I would have a zoom handy, It saves time and really takes some pressure off. The 56mm will do a gorgeous job, but your usage will be limited. The extra wide angle of the 18-55 will allow for some real creative type poses. As for the off camera with a soft box. Absolutely if you are going to add some flash, but a couple of NIKON SB-28's and a shoot through umbrella will give a ton more power and open up your options. Also invest in a good ND filter, so that you can use your 56mm and 35mm wide open.

One last bit of advice, use a diffuser or reflector when you can. Using flash can be a tricky horse if you haven't use it a lot in the past. Plus set up for each flash shot will be much more work than you think. I usually try to shoot when the sun is lower in the sky...say 4-5 pm in the spring even as late as 6. Bright noon sun and portraits of ANY kind do not make for a happy customer or photographer!

Good luck, we all start somewhere. AND YES THE EQUIPMENT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Why else would Nikon be able to sell $6000 bodies and $2000 lenses. I have shot a couple of weddings with my X-pro1 and they have turned out fine, but I look forward to giving the X-T1 a whirl. Here are a couple of photos I took with my Fuji.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

Flyinmotion wrote:

Thank you for your comment.

First, I enjoy doing this, no pressure and they don't have any financial hardship. It's all about I can learn something by doing this project.

Is your friend also prepared to learn something?
And does she wants to have images to cherish, to last? Images that tell the true story of her day - The romance, the moments and all that goes with it? Something to look back at in 10 years time and still have the same good feeling of the day?
Wedding photography is NOT about the photographer who wants to learn something.

Second, I'm sick with people keep talking about "it's not about gear comments" Please ask yourself why did you buy what you use to take pictures now?

Then I would suggest to buy the most expensive equipment you can afford and start using it.
You'll soon find out that expensive gear doesn't make you a better photographer, however it might help you in your workflow.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Conrad567
Like?

Oh and one more thing...Learn PhotoShop.  That is where the magic happens.  Good luck.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,660Gear list
Like?
In reply to Just a Photographer, 9 months ago

Just a Photographer wrote:

Flyinmotion wrote:

Hi,

T2

Person 1: Honey I need to buy some camera gear.

Person 2: Don't you already have enough?

Person 1: But its for Jennifer's wedding.

Person 2: Ok.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,632Gear list
Like?

You got some sarcastic comments.  Underlying these is that Fuji flashes are simply not equipped to do what you want to do given your level of expertise.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,733Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Cassatt, 9 months ago

What I would do is look through the many wedding photographers galleries you see linked at this site.

Often I see interesting poses and types of shots. I think a lot of wedding photographers have several types if shots they like to do. You would get some great ideas by doing this. Then you can see what gear they used to get that shot. I think the bulk will be simply a DSLR.

Poses of the rings, the dress etc. Prewedding - is this a party or a get together for a photo shoot in regular clothes not wedding clothes?

The main thing in my opinion (I don't shoot weddings) but the common thread of excellent wedding/engagement photos is they show the love of the couple very clearly. You want that expressed. So I would not get too stuck in technique and miss the boat there. A simple point and shoot shot of a poignant moment or clear expression of love may be way better than an artsy cold photo.

Greg.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,289Gear list
Like?

Flyinmotion wrote:

Hi,

T2

Before the camera and lens you need to know ahead of time the location, and have at least One if not Two back-up locations with one being inside in case of rain.  You should consider time of day, Golden Hour which is the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset. Mid-Day Sunny or will it be Cloudy which you will not know for sure to a day or two ahead of time. This will factor how you use flash or light.

You also need to learn fast how to use and set up lighting. Whether actual mono-lights, pack with heads or little off camera flash you need at least or should have two light sources for Key light and Fill light. One source can be the Sun with some way to diffuse it. This may involve light stands to support the flash AND diffusion material. Talking about light is as in depth as just talking about a camera and lens focal length and aperture is SO minor to the lighting. No light no photo.

Now back to the location, you should scout the location (s) ASAP. Take a camera with you and think where you will place the subject (s). Take some pictures so when you return you will remember your ideas.  Be aware of the background and what is ugly behind the subject ahead of time.

Be sure to know if you need a permit to shoot at the location.

You also need to see what access to A/C power you will have if needed.

I would invest in a tripod, 3 way pan/tilt head with quick release and cable release. In some spots a tripod may not be allowed and you need to go handheld or with a mono-pod.

FUJI Does NOT use Image Stabilization in their lenses so again after a long day, a tripod will help settle you and remove any vibration from the camera reducing out of focus issues.

So this can be a very novice experience or something a bit better.

*I love Fuji X, but I would not use this to shoot a wedding mainly because of lighting and TTL flash needs. Nikon or Canon DSLR has more lighting accessories from power packs to TTL cords etc..

*I am of the firm belief never do business with family or friends and I am an experienced photographer.  The reason is you not only have to answer to the bride and groom, but the rest of the family that may not like some aspect OR worse keep asking and abusing the privilege by having you do re-shoots and multiple fixes and making copies and if gets complicated. With that I go to the wedding with my camera and just take pictures along side the paid event photographer here and there and that works.

You need to find a book on wedding photography, lighting for weddings or the engagement photo etc.

In essence if the couple is ok with it great, but again this can look professional and polished or not.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
What the hell is wrong with you guys???

Sorry I am going off a little, but I see this kind of sh*t everyday with about anything.

The OP asked for specific help and everybody went in full "wet blanket" mode shooting him down instead of giving really helpful advice. That's not the way to encourage and help someone.

First, you don't know what the arrangement between two friends is. Second, what makes you think he doesn't know the risks involved? And even if he doesn't, nobody, NOBODY, have ever learnt anything without risks and mistakes.

So if you want to help, please help him succeed by offering solutions to what he is asking for, that I think was very specific.

By the way, I remember I read this: http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment a while back and found it interesting. Check it out.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the rant wasn't for everybody

Flyinmotion
Like?
In reply to Conrad567, 9 months ago

Thank you for your great samples.

Conrad567 wrote:

I would have a zoom handy, It saves time and really takes some pressure off. The 56mm will do a gorgeous job, but your usage will be limited. The extra wide angle of the 18-55 will allow for some real creative type poses. As for the off camera with a soft box. Absolutely if you are going to add some flash, but a couple of NIKON SB-28's and a shoot through umbrella will give a ton more power and open up your options. Also invest in a good ND filter, so that you can use your 56mm and 35mm wide open.

I don't like zoom lens. I like prime and love to move around to get my shot. And yes, I'm going to get the Hoya 62mm ND filter you mentioned in another post.

One last bit of advice, use a diffuser or reflector when you can. Using flash can be a tricky horse if you haven't use it a lot in the past. Plus set up for each flash shot will be much more work than you think. I usually try to shoot when the sun is lower in the sky...say 4-5 pm in the spring even as late as 6. Bright noon sun and portraits of ANY kind do not make for a happy customer or photographer!

I got it. BTW, I know Photoshop, but I prefer not to use it.

Good luck, we all start somewhere. AND YES THE EQUIPMENT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Why else would Nikon be able to sell $6000 bodies and $2000 lenses. I have shot a couple of weddings with my X-pro1 and they have turned out fine, but I look forward to giving the X-T1 a whirl. Here are a couple of photos I took with my Fuji.

Flyinmotion
Like?
Re: What the hell is wrong with you guys???
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 9 months ago

Gabor Esperon wrote:

Sorry I am going off a little, but I see this kind of sh*t everyday with about anything.

The OP asked for specific help and everybody went in full "wet blanket" mode shooting him down instead of giving really helpful advice. That's not the way to encourage and help someone.

First, you don't know what the arrangement between two friends is. Second, what makes you think he doesn't know the risks involved? And even if he doesn't, nobody, NOBODY, have ever learnt anything without risks and mistakes.

So if you want to help, please help him succeed by offering solutions to what he is asking for, that I think was very specific.

By the way, I remember I read this: http://photo.net/learn/wedding/equipment a while back and found it interesting. Check it out.

Thank you to correct it. And, thank you for your link.

Conrad567
Like?

Just Saying....

Before PhotoShop

After PhotoShop

Before PhotoShop

...and after PhotoShop.

Flyinmotion
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 9 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

Flyinmotion wrote:

Hi,

T2

Before the camera and lens you need to know ahead of time the location, and have at least One if not Two back-up locations with one being inside in case of rain. You should consider time of day, Golden Hour which is the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset. Mid-Day Sunny or will it be Cloudy which you will not know for sure to a day or two ahead of time. This will factor how you use flash or light.

You also need to learn fast how to use and set up lighting. Whether actual mono-lights, pack with heads or little off camera flash you need at least or should have two light sources for Key light and Fill light. One source can be the Sun with some way to diffuse it. This may involve light stands to support the flash AND diffusion material. Talking about light is as in depth as just talking about a camera and lens focal length and aperture is SO minor to the lighting. No light no photo.

Now back to the location, you should scout the location (s) ASAP. Take a camera with you and think where you will place the subject (s). Take some pictures so when you return you will remember your ideas. Be aware of the background and what is ugly behind the subject ahead of time.

Be sure to know if you need a permit to shoot at the location.

You also need to see what access to A/C power you will have if needed.

I would invest in a tripod, 3 way pan/tilt head with quick release and cable release. In some spots a tripod may not be allowed and you need to go handheld or with a mono-pod.

FUJI Does NOT use Image Stabilization in their lenses so again after a long day, a tripod will help settle you and remove any vibration from the camera reducing out of focus issues.

So this can be a very novice experience or something a bit better.

*I love Fuji X, but I would not use this to shoot a wedding mainly because of lighting and TTL flash needs. Nikon or Canon DSLR has more lighting accessories from power packs to TTL cords etc..

*I am of the firm belief never do business with family or friends and I am an experienced photographer. The reason is you not only have to answer to the bride and groom, but the rest of the family that may not like some aspect OR worse keep asking and abusing the privilege by having you do re-shoots and multiple fixes and making copies and if gets complicated. With that I go to the wedding with my camera and just take pictures along side the paid event photographer here and there and that works.

You need to find a book on wedding photography, lighting for weddings or the engagement photo etc.

In essence if the couple is ok with it great, but again this can look professional and polished or not.

Wow, a lot to take notes here, but they're great stuffs. Thank you so much.

Flyinmotion
Like?
In reply to Conrad567, 9 months ago

Conrad567 wrote:

Just Saying....

Before PhotoShop

After PhotoShop

Before PhotoShop

...and after PhotoShop.

I'll think about this. Thanks.

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 9 months ago

Gabor Esperon wrote:

What makes me chuckle are the responses from people who apparently never read the OP, yet they are giving him "advice".  Just another day within a camera forum.

And OP, you have, what, two months to learn how to use a flash, right?  Think about the Yongnuo (sp?) 560 II.  You'll need to know how to use it in manual mode (don't let scardy cats worry you about TTL).  The YN 560 tilts and turns so you can bounce light in most any direction you want, I'd suggest off camera on a stand.  You could put one (or two) behind an umbrella (or two).

You said these were pre-wedding shots and you both want to have fun.  Learn to use one flash without going too crazy over hardware choices and have fun.

I don't care for zooms either.  That 56mm lens is reported to be magical, use your feet to zoom (you already know this).   Cheers!

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Conrad567
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 9 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

Gabor Esperon wrote:

What makes me chuckle are the responses from people who apparently never read the OP, yet they are giving him "advice". Just another day within a camera forum.

And OP, you have, what, two months to learn how to use a flash, right? Think about the Yongnuo (sp?) 560 II. You'll need to know how to use it in manual mode (don't let scardy cats worry you about TTL). The YN 560 tilts and turns so you can bounce light in most any direction you want, I'd suggest off camera on a stand. You could put one (or two) behind an umbrella (or two).

You said these were pre-wedding shots and you both want to have fun. Learn to use one flash without going too crazy over hardware choices and have fun.

I don't care for zooms either. That 56mm lens is reported to be magical, use your feet to zoom (you already know this). Cheers!

-- hide signature --

I only suggested the zoom for a wider angle shot, you can always get closer but sometimes moving further back is impossible. But for the rest of your comment I completely agree. I guess I like zooms because I have gotten lazy...

Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?

Flyinmotion wrote:

Gabor Esperon wrote:

Thank you to correct it. And, thank you for your link.

No problem.. I also would checkout photos of weddings on the net. If you have time stop by Barnes and Nobles (or any book store) and look thru photo books, it can be a great source of inspiration and internalizing composition, etc etc

On the bay area there is a lot of great places. Walk around the beaches, drive down from SF thru Pacifica by the CA-1. Check the mountains too, the 92 going to Half Moon Bay or further north Point Reyes, but that may be a little far. I recommend to take your time and explore around, you do have a lot of homework to do... Have fun!

EDIT: typos and GOOD LUCK!

Flyinmotion
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 9 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

Gabor Esperon wrote:

What makes me chuckle are the responses from people who apparently never read the OP, yet they are giving him "advice". Just another day within a camera forum.

And OP, you have, what, two months to learn how to use a flash, right? Think about the Yongnuo (sp?) 560 II. You'll need to know how to use it in manual mode (don't let scardy cats worry you about TTL). The YN 560 tilts and turns so you can bounce light in most any direction you want, I'd suggest off camera on a stand. You could put one (or two) behind an umbrella (or two).

You said these were pre-wedding shots and you both want to have fun. Learn to use one flash without going too crazy over hardware choices and have fun.

I don't care for zooms either. That 56mm lens is reported to be magical, use your feet to zoom (you already know this). Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Thank you to suggest the Yongnuo 560II flash. I'll check out and yes, I can learn how to use it. Baby step, but I'm getting there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads