Full Frame Fuji ETA

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
shutterwillie
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Full Frame Fuji ETA
7 months ago

Would like to know the general opinion on the likelihood of Fuji producing a full frame model similar to my X100 with fixed lens.  Will appreciate your thoughts.

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Full Frame Fuji ETA
In reply to shutterwillie, 7 months ago

While I would not answer "never", I would not advise holding your breath until the camera ships. With the 16MP X-trans doing excellent service across the whole product line, I see no incentive at this point to do a full-frame version. They are still aggressively building the X-Camera line from scratch, and in two years have an impressive array of bodies and lenses. I expect that filling out the line will take priority.

On the other hand, sales of digital cameras in general are declining. The market is saturated, and the cameras are so good that there is not the incentive to upgrade that there was half a dozen years ago. Among the naive, full-frame is somewhat of a holy grail, and I suppose Fuji might consider it as a sales gimmick perhaps with a highly inflated pixel count and at a high-price. I am sure that a lot of people who are more concerned with specifications than with photography would buy it.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,725Gear list
Like?

shutterwillie wrote:

Would like to know the general opinion on the likelihood of Fuji producing a full frame model similar to my X100 with fixed lens. Will appreciate your thoughts.

Look at the interview CPR conducted with the head of Fuji Marketing. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5988185050/cp-2014-fujifilm-interview-the-only-way-is-to-keep-innovating

See the very last question asked of him. His answer seems to place FF in the somewhat distant future.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

Please make it stop.

MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 7 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

Please make it stop.

my eyes, it burns!!!!

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?

Why are people wanting a full frame Fuji? You want bigger and heavier and more expensive lenses? You want to start over and wait two years for the lens lineup to fill out?

You want to know what it's like to have a full frame mirrorless? Go get a Sony A7. Few lenses, larger, more expensive.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373Gear list
Like?

shutterwillie wrote:

Would like to know the general opinion on the likelihood of Fuji producing a full frame model similar to my X100 with fixed lens. Will appreciate your thoughts.

If they do, expect to pay at least $500 more and get something that is larger and weighs more. Think something like the X-Pro/18mm lens combo. Heck, look at how much the Sony RX1 costs.

But what do you think FF will do for you?

An answer of "FF is just better" is not the right answer.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Gabor Esperon
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
100% certain it is 100% uncertain (n/t)
No text.
darngooddesign
Like?
50% of the time, its certain 100% of the time. (n/t)
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 7 months ago
No text.
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Gabor Esperon
Like?
Typos.. Typos :(
In reply to darngooddesign, 7 months ago

I ment to say: "I was 100% certain that I am %100 uncertain"

jzzmusician
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, 7 months ago

Brian Caslis wrote:

Why are people wanting a full frame Fuji? You want bigger and heavier and more expensive lenses? You want to start over and wait two years for the lens lineup to fill out?

You want to know what it's like to have a full frame mirrorless? Go get a Sony A7. Few lenses, larger, more expensive.

With the current offer of a minimum $300 trade in for ANY camera the A7 is within $150 bucks of an X-T1.  Just like with Fuji lenses are coming soon.

darngooddesign
Like?
Re: Typos.. Typos :(
In reply to Gabor Esperon, 7 months ago

Gabor Esperon wrote:

76.3% of all statistics are made up.

shutterwillie
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
In reply to lnbolch, 7 months ago

Thanks Larry,,your response has sound foundation.  I appreciate your thoughts.  My position is one of research at the moment.  I have owned most major dslr cameras as well as several dozen film types including large format cameras.  Truthfully, I have enjoyed the X100 beyond compare.  My pattern has been to skip generations as I have the Trans chip world.  I have no reason to be in love with full frame models but being somewhat a gambler, I am willing to try it given the right design.  Thanks again, willie

Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?

shutterwillie wrote:

You should ask yourself the question, how big is the probability that Fuji will release a whole new line of lenses including a roadmap for those lenses?
I am not saying that Fuji will never produce one, but chances that they will introduce a FF system in the near future are probably not really large.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Gabor Esperon
Like?
Re: Typos.. Typos :(
In reply to darngooddesign, 7 months ago

darngooddesign wrote:

Gabor Esperon wrote:

76.3% of all statistics are made up.

Except that I know for a fact LOL

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?

I would rather see a Fuji camera with 24mp APS-C sensor before any consideration of FF.

Canon/Nikon/Sony will dominate FF.

Why should Fuji get involved given the limited market?

jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?

If, and I think it is a huge If, Fuji does anything with FF, it will most likely be something like the Sony RX-1, with a fixed lens.  Remember, the X series started with a fixed lens camera.  Probably not for several years, until the XF (and XC) lenses are all out.

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
Contributing MemberPosts: 873Gear list
Like?

I can't stand it anymore.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
In reply to 94, 7 months ago

Agreed.  Rubbish.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 7 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Please make it stop.

my eyes, it burns!!!!

-- hide signature --

"The goggles...they do nothing..."