75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
8 months ago

I have the GX7, and yes I know it depends on what you like to shoot ... but I'd like to hear from people who own one or both...

which one do you prefer and why?

(I'm leaning towards the 35-100 as the more practical option, but I love primes, so?!)

Cheers!

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Re: 75 f/1.8 or 35-100 f/2.8 torn between the two
In reply to Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson, 8 months ago

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson wrote:

I have the GX7, and yes I know it depends on what you like to shoot ... but I'd like to hear from people who own one or both...

(I'm leaning towards the 35-100 as the more practical option, but I love primes, so?!)

Cheers!

There's nothing practical about love, which is why I just bought my precious 75 a new metal lens hood.

Seriously, you probably won't go wrong either way, as long as you know the tradeoff is the sharpness and slightly shallower DOF of the 75 vs the versatility of the zoom. You could go for both in buying the 75 plus a cheaper zoom, like the Oly 40-150, which is quite good in the 40-100 range and acceptable above.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,744Gear list
Like?

Cheers!

I faced the same choice (too much overlap between these two for me to get both) and chose the 75/1.8 for its greater max aperture (with the advantages that provides in low light or when you want maximally shallow DoF), better bokeh (quality as opposed to quantity of the background blur), and greater sharpness. This should not be taken to mean that I think the 35-100 is poor in any of the respects I mentioned. It's just that the 75 is a tad better.

The trade-offs are of course that you get a gap between 45 mm (or so) and 75 (unless you carry another lens to cover the range) and that you don't have quite as much reach at the long end. But I can live with the former and think the even better resolution and greater max aperture make up, or nearly so, for the loss of reach. It's really not a problem to crop images from the 75 just a little bit. Besides, I have the Oly 40-150/4-5.6 for when I know I'll need more reach than the 75 can provide. Very inexpensive and quite good optically if you find a decent copy.

With the GX7, another consideration is of course that the 35-100 will get you OIS, which is reportedly more effective than the GX7 IBIS.

Some recent concert shots with the 75 in the post I link to below, if you are interested. I would have been able to do many of those with the 35-100 too, but I think the 75 did most of them slightly better than the 35-100 could, due above all to the greater max aperture.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53325626

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Thank you guys.

I used to have a Canon 5D/60D and the 135 f/2 and no stabiliser, so I think GX7 with the 2 way ois is ok...

the concert images are nice - and make you realise that indoors in low light f/1.8 is more practical than f/2.8 so it cuts two ways...

so, decisions, decisions ....

What is interesting is that the 75 f/1.8 gets lots of love... you guys really think it's worth it and the 150mm equivalent focal length not too limiting?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?

As you said in your first post, it depends a lot on your style of shooting. I do very little long tele shooting, but I do a lot of portrait and social event work, a little street photography and some scenics primarily when traveling. The 75 fits in very nicely on the portrait and social event work.

At a recent gathering I covered for our town government, I got the overall "establishing" shots with the 12-40 zoom but the 75 helped me zero in on details and individuals. A longer zoom could have done that, but the 75 forced my eye very beneficially.

It is a very special lens.

All that said, your gear selection seems to be light on the tele end, so I repeat my recommendation of including the Oly 40-150 for those times when only long will do. The cost for this pair would likely be about the same as for the Panny zoom.

Edit: I just got a job to do 40 corporate portraits. I submitted 6 sample shots with my bid. The three shots they liked the most were the only ones shot with the 75. It got me the job.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?

I'm more of a prime guy than zoom guy. The 75 is a truly special lens. A lot of money, but I'm glad I bought it, and lately I've been making it a point to use it more, which is making me appreciate it all the more. I got it for $850 USD (yes, I think its' worth it), and I think the 35-100 is about $1,200, no?

For the price of the 35-100, you could get both the 75 and the Panasonic 45-150 and have a few bucks left over. I think the latter is better than the Oly 40-150, particularly for Panasonic bodies, and it is a quite good lens, particularly for the price. But it's no 35-100.

Someday I may consider getting f/2.8 zooms, but right now I'm very happy with the high-quality primes and mid-quality 14-42 v.2 and 45-150 zooms that I have.

-- hide signature --

Brent

Chrisada
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

I have only had experiences with both for a short time. And I mostly take pictures of peoples.

The 75 can really create some magic for me when my subject is stationary, or moving laterally.

But if you can benefit from the ability to zoom, well, it's obvious the 35-100 take the cake.

I dislike cropping in post, so I ended up getting a used 35-100 a few months after getting the 75. (Sold some other lenses to finance it)

The subject isolation on 35-100mm at f1.8 is sufficient for my taste.

75mm at f1.8

35-100mm at f2.8

Chrisada's gear list:Chrisada's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
Jim and Brent, this is what I was looking for
In reply to brentbrent, 8 months ago

I like to shoot portraits, so I can see the benefits of the 75 f/1.8

so, yeah getting that and 40-150 or the Panasonic 45-150, that's something I will look into...

thank you guys...

Lawrence22
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?

You won't regret with the 13-100 f/2.8.

Lawrence

Anders W
Like?

Thank you guys.

I used to have a Canon 5D/60D and the 135 f/2 and no stabiliser, so I think GX7 with the 2 way ois is ok...

the concert images are nice - and make you realise that indoors in low light f/1.8 is more practical than f/2.8 so it cuts two ways...

so, decisions, decisions ....

What is interesting is that the 75 f/1.8 gets lots of love... you guys really think it's worth it and the 150mm equivalent focal length not too limiting?

Although I never shot 135 mm on FF back in the film days (I had 85 and 200), I must say I do find quite a bit of use for this lens. Very good for social event and street photography as well as for portraiture unless you are in close quarters (where the 45 works better). Good for landscapes too as well as for close-ups (within its normal range; it doesn't work so well with extension tubes or a close-up lens; I have tried). And a decent ability to get you some subject isolation by means of background blur even when shot at fairly low magnification. Look at some of Steve Huff's images here for example (some of those with the horses):

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/09/27/shooting-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-in-dublin-ireland/

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?

Anders W wrote

Although I never shot 135 mm on FF back in the film days (I had 85 and 200), I must say I do find quite a bit of use for this lens. Very good for social event and street photography as well as for portraiture unless you are in close quarters (where the 45 works better). Good for landscapes too as well as for close-ups (within its normal range; it doesn't work so well with extension tubes or a close-up lens; I have tried). And a decent ability to get you some subject isolation by means of background blur even when shot at fairly low magnification. Look at some of Steve Huff's images here for example (some of those with the horses):

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/09/27/shooting-with-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1-in-dublin-ireland/

The 75mm is a great lens, that's easy to see. I think the 35-100 f/2.8 is also a very fine lens. That's really the dilemma, if you only can afford to have one or don't want to have too many lenses.

I think it's a question of 'magic' and 'utility' - i.e. the 75 is capable of capturing that something extra, but the focal length is more limiting..., but not indoors in low or available light.... I'm contradicting myself - it's the zoom vs prime thing, people say that zooms are more versatile, but the primes are more versatile light wise  as you can both use them in bright and lowlight conditions ...

so, that's why I'm torn ...

I live in Iceland, and what I'm really after is a good landscape lens, - for the coming summer -

people usually think about wide angle as landscape lenses, but I really like the longer focal lengths to compress landscape or to pick something interesting out...  that's why I have been leaning towards the 35-100 ...

I appreciate all the answers. The various comments help me to sort through my mind and eventually decide...

I plan to purchase one or the other later this week... the 75 is $899 at B&H, the 35-100 is $1020 on eBay...

Thanks...

best regards
from Iceland

secretworld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,037Gear list
Like?

I think the choice is very easy. The 75 is faster and a little sharper so a better lens. If you always shoot in situations where you can zoom with your feet, choose the 75. If you can't frame by going closer or farther from your subject, the 35-100 is the only solution. If you really need f1.8 there is only one option too. If none of the above is applicable, the lens is a luxury

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,379Gear list
Like?
In reply to secretworld, 8 months ago

secretworld wrote:

I think the choice is very easy. The 75 is faster and a little sharper so a better lens. If you always shoot in situations where you can zoom with your feet, choose the 75. If you can't frame by going closer or farther from your subject, the 35-100 is the only solution. If you really need f1.8 there is only one option too. If none of the above is applicable, the lens is a luxury

+1

For speed & sharpness across the frame and subject isolation the 75/1.8 Oly is much better.  For versatility (~3x zoom & OIS for video) the 35-100/2.8 is the way to go.  The 35-100/2.8 is no slouch sharpness-wise, but the 75/1.8 is a definite notch higher, especially in the corners.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
Interesting, lots of love for the 75, not so much for the 35-100
In reply to jhinkey, 8 months ago

The Panasonic comments sound like an afterthought, nice if you ....

Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,954Gear list
Like?

Cheers!

If I had to choose one or the other, the 35-100/2.8 is what I would get, especially knowing I already have both (still do) and elect to take the 35-100/2.8 almost every single time, and that's with an Olympus E-M1. I use it in tandem with either the 12-35 Panasonic or 12-40 Olympus.

With a GX-7......just get the 35-100.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Like?
In reply to Gregm61, 8 months ago

Gregm61 wrote:

If I had to choose one or the other, the 35-100/2.8 is what I would get, especially knowing I already have both (still do) and elect to take the 35-100/2.8 almost every single time, and that's with an Olympus E-M1. I use it in tandem with either the 12-35 Panasonic or 12-40 Olympus.

With a GX-7......just get the 35-100.

Thank you, that's the most likely outcome ....

Anders W
Like?

Anders W wrote

The 75mm is a great lens, that's easy to see. I think the 35-100 f/2.8 is also a very fine lens. That's really the dilemma, if you only can afford to have one or don't want to have too many lenses.

I think it's a question of 'magic' and 'utility' - i.e. the 75 is capable of capturing that something extra, but the focal length is more limiting..., but not indoors in low or available light.... I'm contradicting myself - it's the zoom vs prime thing, people say that zooms are more versatile, but the primes are more versatile light wise as you can both use them in bright and lowlight conditions ...

so, that's why I'm torn ...

I live in Iceland, and what I'm really after is a good landscape lens, - for the coming summer -

people usually think about wide angle as landscape lenses, but I really like the longer focal lengths to compress landscape or to pick something interesting out... that's why I have been leaning towards the 35-100 ...

I like using teles for landscapes too. But for landscapes, you usually don't need that much speed (though exceptions may exist) and a good zoom might be preferable to get the framing exactly as you want it. So, again, the Oly 40-150, the Pany 45-150 or something like that might fit the bill here. Here are a couple of examples with the 100-300 at 100 mm. Didn't have the 40-150 with me on this occasion.

I appreciate all the answers. The various comments help me to sort through my mind and eventually decide...

I plan to purchase one or the other later this week... the 75 is $899 at B&H, the 35-100 is $1020 on eBay...

Thanks...

best regards
from Iceland

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,452Gear list
Like?

I had the same dilemma and went with the 75.

If your using it outdoors lots, then the 35-100 weatherproofing may be preferred. If you want it for low light, then the 75mm.

In my case I also have the 60mm macro to cover for bad weather telephoto.

In my case the 75 and 60mm are in the same price range as the 35-100. About 1400 vs 1350.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?

My vote is with the 35-100.  More latitude.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMNCT, 8 months ago

LMNCT wrote:

My vote is with the 35-100. More latitude.

My vote is the 75mm.

The 75mm has more latitude with the capability of being both 1&1/3 stop brighter, and having sharper, superior optics.

The 35-100 will give you more latitude to stay static at your vantage point and having more framing options. Also indoors.

BUT considering you can get the 45mm to bridge the price gap...

I'd go with a pair of primes over the zoom any day.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads