Thinking of leaving Fuji

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
eye specs
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
I understand the importance of such a price gap ...
In reply to zenpmd, 7 months ago

that CSC buyers are forced to pay out can have on a decision - its £3-400 on the body alone - for which you get a premium weight and electronic info sapport. Perhaps to make the fuji choice a little more affordable have you noticed that digital rev in HK have the xe2 with the 18-55 zoom combined for only £759? Here's the link http://www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x-e2-with-xf/MTEwMjkxNg_A_A

eyespecs

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,059
Like?
Re: Well, certainly not for lack of effort!

zenpmd wrote:

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

I really want to love them, and in some ways I do, but I remain frustrated. I have owned and sold the xe1, x pro 1, x100s and I am about to return the Xt1.

The xe Fuji cameras are the best I think. They are without the ergonomic quirks of the x pro 1 (no diopter, annoying placement of ae lock), smaller and in the case of the xe2 half decent AF. The x100s is still too slow, a bit buggy, especially with the viewfinder eye sensor and battery life/warnings are infuriating for a camera of that cost. The xt1 is really wonderful, feels great in the hand, light, but its expensive for an AF system which, while better, you simply cannot trust 100 percent.

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now. The d7100 can be had cheap, its bombproof, massive battery life, superb AF, but most importantly of all, if you are a prime shooter, which I largely am, I am get the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm for next to nothing, all of which are super sharp. What I am currently looking into is what to do for primes in the 28-35 range, but I may just have to accept they dont exist and buy the fuji x100s sucessor which I hope will iron out the problems.

Nikon and canon primes are small and cheap...simply put!

I can't believe you've bought and sold that many cameras in such short time! My guess is that you'll buy and sell lots of Nikons, too. Some may say something contentious, like "you need to focus on making images, not cameras." But, I get it - I think buying and selling cameras is part of what makes the hobby fun for you. I do the same thing with lenses. Hopefully, you like the Nikons. Good luck!

not only bought and sold, some of these i just used for 30 days from amazon

A serial returner.

gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of leaving Fuji

zenpmd wrote:

I really want to love them, and in some ways I do, but I remain frustrated. I have owned and sold the xe1, x pro 1, x100s and I am about to return the Xt1.

The xe Fuji cameras are the best I think. They are without the ergonomic quirks of the x pro 1 (no diopter, annoying placement of ae lock), smaller and in the case of the xe2 half decent AF. The x100s is still too slow, a bit buggy, especially with the viewfinder eye sensor and battery life/warnings are infuriating for a camera of that cost. The xt1 is really wonderful, feels great in the hand, light, but its expensive for an AF system which, while better, you simply cannot trust 100 percent.

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now. The d7100 can be had cheap, its bombproof, massive battery life, superb AF, but most importantly of all, if you are a prime shooter, which I largely am, I am get the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm for next to nothing, all of which are super sharp. What I am currently looking into is what to do for primes in the 28-35 range, but I may just have to accept they dont exist and buy the fuji x100s sucessor which I hope will iron out the problems.

This is a rational view which is difficult to argue. For me the like or dislike of a camera related to "looks" is an important issue. Form plays an important role for me.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Leica M Typ 240 Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +9 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Teslib, I will definately come back (if indeed I decide to leave) but I just feel they are not quite there yet, and if I am going to spend £1000 on a camera then I want to keep it for 5 plus years! The one thing I am very tempted to do is pick up a very cheap xe1 and hold on to the small lenses, like the 18 and the 35, for now...

If you're going to end up with a different ILC, you should hang on to a cheap X100. Its a more interesting alternative to your upcoming big heavy DSLR, and it will be easy to take with you when your DSLR stays at home because its big and heavy.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Why on earth did you buy 4 Fuji cameras if you don't like them? I just don't get it. If you don' like them and if you prefer a DSLR buy a DSLR. It's not complicated.

It's also rather easy to compare lenses. Fuji has not too many lenses at the moment. They are high quality but come at a price. Nikon and especially Canon have much more lenses of course. There are 4 70-200 zoom ( 2.8 and 4 with to without IS ) from Canon and a couple of 70-300 or 55-200. There are short primes in 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8. So it is obvious that there is more lens choice.

If you are looking for the best value it is always a DSLR and not mirrorless. If compactness means nothing to you why do you try to live with mediocre AF?

It just doesn't make any sense to buy a mirrorless if a compact and light camera is not what you are looking for.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 7 months ago

Joachim, I had a major problem, and still do, with the appearance of dslrs. In fact, unless mirrorless cameras came out, I shot with an Lx3. The fuji I loved at first, but then my photographic interests diversified. To be quite honest, I think its hard not to carry two cameras now, something for action, like the D7100, hence why I'd love the x100s successor when its a big snappier.

We are also in a unique time, though, I think for innovation and competition and that leads to chopping and changing more, say, between 2007 and 2010 or something like that. Now soon as the Xt1 is released the a6000 is announced, which looks to blow its AF out of the water. And after that an a7 sucessor will have the AF in it. Where Fuji kicks ass is of course the lenses, particularly at the wide end.

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F2.8
helmus
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of leaving Fuji: good bye !!!

Changing from Fuji to Nikon...

Is this a new Nikon headhunting campaign?

helmus's gear list:helmus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +15 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

I have the XT-1 and primes and have had many Nikons and primes, my last APC-C was the D7000. If your argument is size and cost, I think you are smoking something. The primes are on sale now and the XT-1 is only a little more expensive than the D7100.

If you have some other argument like better AF or better flash then yes it is better. I hope you don't care about the viewfinder, because the D7100 is massively smaller than the EVF on the X-T1.

But your post seems like a statement rather than asking for input. Given that, I don't see why you needed to post it. Go get a Nikon and have fun.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,013Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of leaving Fuji: good bye !!!
In reply to helmus, 7 months ago

helmus wrote:

Changing from Fuji to Nikon...

Is this a new Nikon headhunting campaign?

I wouldn't go that far, but for every new Nikon shooter - Nikon probably looses 3 photographers that have had it with Nikons refusal to listen to their customer base.

If Nikon would have made a nice mirrorless system that does not make use of a tiny sensor and with a real lens line up. Or even better if they had already made a small mirrorless camera like the A7/A7r that could handle the FX mount. Nikon wouldn't have lost so many photographers over the last year.

Their problem - They don't listen, but decide on what's good enough for you as a photographer.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +8 more
CrabbyGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
In reply to gotompoes, 7 months ago

As you consider leaving Fuji, I am 80% leaving Nikon for Fuji, keeping my D300 for tripod and bird work mainly.  There is nothing wrong with either of our choices.

From 1980 to 1995, I spent a third of my time on international business travel, passed my weekends shooting photos, drinking very good coffee, eating the occasional excellent pastry, and having dinners I still remember.  While taking the frequent long plane flight I had just enough room left in a 5" attaché case for lots of Kodachrome, a Leica body, and two lenses.  I moved slowly from scene to scene and, looking back, my pictures showed it.

The availability of the Nikon F100 (very reliable autofocus) and lots of lenses got me moving faster when taking photos and the D300 even faster until I started carrying too many lenses and other gear, something it took me a very long time to discover.  My pictures became technically better and less esthetically considered, something it took me years to discover.

Now Nikon mainly (almost all new DX lenses all seem to start at 18mm, made for kits, and where is the replacement for my 7-year-old D300 w/12MP sensor?) and peer pressure to less of a degree are telling me to move to full frame, a Nikon D610 at least, and to spend more on heavier FF lenses.  But I don't really care about the improved ability to shoot at night, I have long since learned to deal with the increased depth of field from a chop-sensor camera, and my 13" X 19" prints only need a small boost for my complete satisfaction.

A digital Leica outfit with the lenses I want would seem perfect now that I am retired and would cost roughly $20K, the same price as a decent small car.  I expect the X-E2 I am going to buy today will be 85% as good or better than the Leica and will cost 15% of the German product.  Just as important, I think it will return me to shooting slower and more esthetically--most important these days.  No, I wouldn't shoot a wedding with the X-E2, but I don't need to work that hard anymore.

Enjoy your Nikon gear!

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?

I sounds like YOU do need a DSLR. Nothing wrong with that.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

What I am currently looking into is what to do for primes in the 28-35 range,

This is where Nikon crop falls down, and is why I moved from a D7000 to an X-Pro1.  There simply is no good solution for good DX primes on the wide end.  To me, the 14, 18 & 23 mm primes on the Fuji are reason enough to go Fuji, and the rest of the lenses just make it that much more sweet.

IMO, if you want to shoot DSLR Nikons with prime lenses, you need to go FF (assuming FLs under 50 mm equivalent are important).  In fact, if you compare the price of a D610 with a good range of 1.8 primes (say, 5-6 lenses), and compare that to an X-T1 with the equivalent lenses, the price is fairly similar.  The D610 is more expensive but the lenses are cheaper, as long as you stay away from the Nikon f/1.4 lenses.

Of course, FF is a heavy rig, and throw in even a single f4 zoom and the weight & bulk just goes through the roof.

-- hide signature --

My Flikr stream: http://flic.kr/ps/Ay8ka

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,716Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Teslib, I will definately come back (if indeed I decide to leave) but I just feel they are not quite there yet, and if I am going to spend £1000 on a camera then I want to keep it for 5 plus years! The one thing I am very tempted to do is pick up a very cheap xe1 and hold on to the small lenses, like the 18 and the 35, for now...

I think that this is a worthwhile idea, as there will be times when a heavier and larger DSLR would not be the best camera for the task.  Keeping the small lenses will mean that your kit will be great for travel, where size and weight are paramount and the feature set is adequate, if not quite equal to the top of the line X cameras.

The X-E1 is a real bargain right now, as so many users are ditching it for the X-T1.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-5 IIs Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 +18 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to georgehudetz, 7 months ago

Another point is the cheaper Nikon primes like 50 1.8g 85 1.8g are very harsh in their renderings. Nikon seems to focus on sharpness in their lenses as a primary characteristic and they are sharp. But I found the 85 and 50 to give too much of a digital look. I think it comes from a lack of ED glass.

The Fuji lenses though are designed back from the look in the images the designers want to render. It makes for a more compelling image from using their lenses. So its not just the cameras themselves but the look from the lenses which is a compelling reason to use Fuji over Nikon.

Nikon pro lenses like 24-70 F2.8 ED are wonderful but they are large, heavy and expensive.

Nikon 70-200 F4 is a nice lens but expensive. The 70-200 F2.8 is a monster and costs a lot more than most cameras. So when talking price you must be talking about the lower end lenses which don't have aperture rings, are plastic and no ED glass.

Greg.

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,855Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 7 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Another point is the cheaper Nikon primes like 50 1.8g 85 1.8g are very harsh in their renderings. Nikon seems to focus on sharpness in their lenses as a primary characteristic and they are sharp. But I found the 85 and 50 to give too much of a digital look. I think it comes from a lack of ED glass.

Good point.

The Fuji lenses though are designed back from the look in the images the designers want to render. It makes for a more compelling image from using their lenses. So its not just the cameras themselves but the look from the lenses which is a compelling reason to use Fuji over Nikon.

Good point.

Nikon pro lenses like 24-70 F2.8 ED are wonderful but they are large, heavy and expensive.

Nikon 70-200 F4 is a nice lens but expensive. The 70-200 F2.8 is a monster and costs a lot more than most cameras. So when talking price you must be talking about the lower end lenses which don't have aperture rings, are plastic and no ED glass.

Good points indeed.

Greg.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Zephir 750
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

" they are not quite there yet": I think you have got a point there and I fully agree. IMHO, they still have a long way to go and I refer to the entire mirrorless bunch...nonetheless their prices are prohibitive. Regards.

Zephir 750's gear list:Zephir 750's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-3 Leica M9-P Olympus E-1 Canon EOS 50D +20 more
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,646
Like?
Nothing's perfect, and that grass...
In reply to BPD7, 7 months ago

...it's always greener over there.

There is nothing wrong with going Nikon and some day you may decide to return to Fuji.

One person going elsewhere is not any sort of indictment of Fuji products.

maljo

Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Lack of decent wide angle DX primes was why I left Nikon for Fuji. They still haven't filled that gap sadly.

However, while not a prime, Sigma's new 18-35 f1.8 covers that range and the 35 for an absolute steal at around $700. If you do go back to Nikon, take a good look at one of those

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D60 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 7 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

So when talking price you must be talking about the lower end lenses which don't have aperture rings, are plastic and no ED glass.

Greg.

I was talking about primes and not zooms, as that was the point of the OP.  And, I am talking about the f/1.8 primes, not the f/1.4 primes, which are very expensive.

No, these lenses do not have aperture rings, which is (presumably) one of the reasons they are less expensive.  But then rings are unneeded on a Nikon DSLR.

As for them being "harsh" well, you can believe that if you want.  Many people would disagree.

In any event, that's not really the point I was making.  The main point is that there simply is no good Nikon options below 35mm on DX.

-- hide signature --

My Flikr stream: http://flic.kr/ps/Ay8ka

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
OliverGlass
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

Good then mate, follow you road. Next time, how about working with the gear instead of fighting it? They all have their quirks but in the end, it is just a tool to achieve results. Do you need it or do you want it? (two different things)

In my case, I wanted a cam that I could carry daily so I could exercise my eye often. A dslr with a big footprint was often left in the car or at home so I ended up looking for a no compromise back up that was always in the bag along with my other stuff on my non photography work--- that's where your enthusiast big sensor compact, m4/3 cam or Fuji X comes in. A separate bag for a DSLR and lenses would weigh you down.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads