Thinking of leaving Fuji

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
Thinking of leaving Fuji
6 months ago

I really want to love them, and in some ways I do, but I remain frustrated. I have owned and sold the xe1, x pro 1, x100s and I am about to return the Xt1.

The xe Fuji cameras are the best I think. They are without the ergonomic quirks of the x pro 1 (no diopter, annoying placement of ae lock), smaller and in the case of the xe2 half decent AF. The x100s is still too slow, a bit buggy, especially with the viewfinder eye sensor and battery life/warnings are infuriating for a camera of that cost. The xt1 is really wonderful, feels great in the hand, light, but its expensive for an AF system which, while better, you simply cannot trust 100 percent.

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now. The d7100 can be had cheap, its bombproof, massive battery life, superb AF, but most importantly of all, if you are a prime shooter, which I largely am, I am get the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm for next to nothing, all of which are super sharp. What I am currently looking into is what to do for primes in the 28-35 range, but I may just have to accept they dont exist and buy the fuji x100s sucessor which I hope will iron out the problems.

Nikon and canon primes are small and cheap...simply put!

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tckay
Regular MemberPosts: 404
Like?
Re: Thinking of leaving Fuji
In reply to zenpmd, 6 months ago

I think the high cost of lenses in relation to Canikon is prevalent throughout MILC. I switched back to A mount from Fuji because old Minolta lenses are at least 50% cheaper. Ive picked up a NEX 7 (again) also because said Minolta lenses can be utilised.

I still think the Fuji's are awesome, and the IQ rocks, but money is tight hereabouts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?

Which camera do you prefer holding in your hand? Which lens?

No argument on how great SLRs just work. But I found the small size and beauty of the X-T1 and the 56mm pretty compelling in themselves. I don't want another DSLR.  Some of us are willing to pay to use the tools we enjoy more, if it is size, interface, build, or feel--even though as pure capture tools, they do not necessarily represent the best bargain.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,411Gear list
Like?

You are a restless soul who may never be satisfied - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53267292

Good luck and hope you find something that you can enjoy.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to tesilab, 6 months ago

Teslib, I will definately come back (if indeed I decide to leave) but I just feel they are not quite there yet, and if I am going to spend £1000 on a camera then I want to keep it for 5 plus years! The one thing I am very tempted to do is pick up a very cheap xe1 and hold on to the small lenses, like the 18 and the 35, for now...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712
Like?
Well, certainly not for lack of effort!

zenpmd wrote:

I really want to love them, and in some ways I do, but I remain frustrated. I have owned and sold the xe1, x pro 1, x100s and I am about to return the Xt1.

The xe Fuji cameras are the best I think. They are without the ergonomic quirks of the x pro 1 (no diopter, annoying placement of ae lock), smaller and in the case of the xe2 half decent AF. The x100s is still too slow, a bit buggy, especially with the viewfinder eye sensor and battery life/warnings are infuriating for a camera of that cost. The xt1 is really wonderful, feels great in the hand, light, but its expensive for an AF system which, while better, you simply cannot trust 100 percent.

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now. The d7100 can be had cheap, its bombproof, massive battery life, superb AF, but most importantly of all, if you are a prime shooter, which I largely am, I am get the 35mm, 50mm and 85mm for next to nothing, all of which are super sharp. What I am currently looking into is what to do for primes in the 28-35 range, but I may just have to accept they dont exist and buy the fuji x100s sucessor which I hope will iron out the problems.

I can't believe you've bought and sold that many cameras in such short time! My guess is that you'll buy and sell lots of Nikons, too. Some may say something contentious, like "you need to focus on making images, not cameras." But, I get it - I think buying and selling cameras is part of what makes the hobby fun for you. I do the same thing with lenses. Hopefully, you like the Nikons. Good luck!

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,495Gear list
Like?

Were it not for the fact both my shoulders have been surgically fixed over the last decade due on part to lugging around large DSLR systems I too would likely still be using them. They are still the typically preferred professional tool for most fast moving needs. It's very hard to beat the Fuji for portrait or static subject photography. They have indeed made massive improvements in their tracking technology in regards to autofocus. Their lenses are indeed gaining more than their share of accolades from professionals and amateurs alike. I feel the X-T1 is a pretty mature product in the grand scheme of things. But if bulk isn't an issue for you the D7100 is an excellent choice. I nearly got a D-610 which I was testing at home along with a 6D. In the end I sold off my EM1 and all mft stuff and returned the DSLR's to the dealer that I have a good relationship with that loaned them to me to try. The X-T1 in the end won out for IQ and ease of use and carry weight overall.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji EF-42 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Sabud
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?

No problem, I will fill the gap

(left Nikon 5 years ago due to lack of good teles)

David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
DUH

zenpmd wrote:

Performance/price ratio <- DSLR wins

Performance/size ratio <- mirrorless wins

Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

What are your quirks with the AF of the X-T1?
If you think Nikon is cheap, then I can only say the grass might look greener on the other side of their fence. But once you walk over their grass you'll soon find out that its not that green as you might have thought.

All camera's have their small little problems and no camera is perfect, but as far as the AF of the X-T1 its nearly as good as any prosumer DSLR. I won't say it beats the AF of my D800, but it comes very close... Knowing the D7100 has a lesser AF system I think the difference between the AF of the 7100 and the X-T1 are probably on par.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
zenpmd
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 6 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

You are a restless soul who may never be satisfied - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53267292

Good luck and hope you find something that you can enjoy.

57low rider - you are right! I have qualified out a FF camera for now, as I think it exceeds my needs, and certainly my appetite for expensive heavy lenses...but I borrowed a friends d5200 and took some photos of my dog and I was very satisfied with the results:

MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Good lord man what are you waiting for, and why are you telling us?  Get the Nikon and never look back!

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
proque
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

There are no bad cameras anymore only bad photographers . So many good options and I believe everyone is good.

In my case, I chose Fuji as I like innovation mixed with design of the past and lens line-up that will only get better.

I refuse to invest in old technology that is just remodelled and high in marketing innovations.

proque's gear list:proque's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
zenpmd
Like?
Re: Well, certainly not for lack of effort!
In reply to Jeff Seltzer, 6 months ago

Jeff Seltzer wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

I can't believe you've bought and sold that many cameras in such short time! My guess is that you'll buy and sell lots of Nikons, too. Some may say something contentious, like "you need to focus on making images, not cameras." But, I get it - I think buying and selling cameras is part of what makes the hobby fun for you. I do the same thing with lenses. Hopefully, you like the Nikons. Good luck!

not only bought and sold, some of these i just used for 30 days from amazon

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,506Gear list
Like?
Mislead users: Fuji is not Nikon or Canon

zenpmd wrote:

Easy, just return the camera and move on to what you understand.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?

Most of my photography is done on trips, most of them international, where you rarely if ever know the conditions or requirements before hand.  I have used Canon SLR's and compacts (5DMKII, T3i, G12, 10, 9 and G1x, Olympus, Panasonics and Fuji's.

All cameras have trade-offs, not as much now as there used to be they still exist.  For the 5DMKII it was the weight of the camera and a bag of glass on tour for hours day after day.  With many other earlier cameras it was either color rendition, digital noise and lack of abilities at higher ISO, image stabilization, etc.  Recently image stabilization is top rate, and ISO ability has improved dramatically almost regardless of brand. I though the Canon G 1X took remarkable images but was so poorly laid out for me and so clumsy to operate it had to go. ...  but that is a person thing.

I have the X Pro 1 and it's not perfect, but the trade offs to me ...  but my perception of the major trade-offs..  short battery life, is acceptable to have the level of IQ it provides for the carrying weight.  The new grip (2nd one, first one was drilled wrong) helps that issue.  Frankly, I would like better glass from Fuji.  I'll admit the kit glass is great, but it is not pro quality, which I understand comes with additional $$.

It's not perfect, but nothing is.

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
BPD7
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Enjoy the Nikons

BPD7's gear list:BPD7's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Miamistan
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
does it matter
In reply to BPD7, 6 months ago

I have a nikon dslr 2 lens love it. Use it for eventing with bettet ttl than fuji. Have 2 fujis x bodies 4 fuji lens , love them for travel, street photography, bw right out of the camera. Can get great shots not much post processing. I have a sony rx100 great camera to knock around with. I also have a voightlander with a 15 mm lens film set up. They all could produce a great picture of your dog. Shoot more obsess less about your equipment. By the way a great looking dog.

Miamistan's gear list:Miamistan's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +14 more
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?
Bye

zenpmd wrote:

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now.

If you don't care about size and weight of a large DSLR kit, stop right there and leave Fuji and mirrorless.

It's not forever.  Your priorities can change over time and options will be very different in a few years.  Why settle for the wrong tool for what you want to do right now?

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Bye
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, 6 months ago

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

But the real killer for me is how cheap and how good Nikon slrs are now.

If you don't care about size and weight of a large DSLR kit, stop right there and leave Fuji and mirrorless.

I agree. If the main benefits of the Fujis, egonomics, size, weight, and IQ, aren't your main considerations you should absolutely go with a different camera.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads