Trouble for Nikon?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,771
Like?
Re: Trouble for Nikon?
In reply to azotor, 6 months ago

Ah, I believe you are the one that said someone should commit suicide, Eh?

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
azotor
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, 6 months ago

not really, i suggest that new generations of Japanese to have the courage to keep honor...that means to face the music instead of playing "sb910 for sb900 and d610 for d600 games".

azotor's gear list:azotor's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,080
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, 6 months ago

I keep hearing all these complaints and have been buying cameras for 76 years, the only lemon being a Fuji HS10, which went back. Even my Nikon P7000, first out of the dealer's crate, has performed impeccably and continues to do so. My 1996 Fuji MX600 is still going, see below:

Bath time

coreyh
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?
Maybe nikon should.......

Start manufacturing all their camera's and lens' in China.  Cause we know China never exports junk!  What a joke this article is.  China is the land of junk manufacturing.  Why is this article even getting web time. LOL.

coreyh's gear list:coreyh's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to azotor, 6 months ago

as mr. spock from star trek would say "fascinating"... nikon has outdone the "d2h"fiasco with the "d600"fiasco..hope this shakes things up..i see a lot of former nikon shooters on the PENTAX  and fuji forums..and a WHOLE lot on the "other" camera forum...the one with the "white L" lenses

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

yihlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
Consumer right? Corrupt government? Nationalism? It's everything.

China is not a lawless country but Chinese officials very often exercise law selectively. It happens to all investors, foreign and domestic. No exception.

When an investor has strong local support (by bride, favoritism, or local needs), China central government usually won't challenge the locals directly - honors among thieves. Instead, it will take an end-run: State-owned TV will fire the first shot which would be broadcasted nationwide on every station. Web will do the rest. When the whole country is pointing fingers to Nikon, its protector knows it's time to shut up. Now the central government can step in and fix the problem. Face saved, case solved, citizen happy, ... Nikon should feel lucky for the treatment it received. It could be a lot worse - A Japanese company dumping trash in China, after losing its protection?

None of these would happen if not for D600's shutter. Nikon had it coming.

Nikon played dumb in U.S., Nikon dumbly played in China.

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?
In reply to t.c. marino, 6 months ago

t.c. marino wrote: i see a lot of former nikon shooters on the PENTAX and fuji forums..and a WHOLE lot on the "other" camera forum...the one with the "white L" lenses

wisep01 wrote: So true. And because of that selective pressure, the one's who stay behind will comprise the most vocal apologists, who will increasingly preach to a choir---an ever-shrinking one.

Do you mean this forum? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3641312

And this one? http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3638230

The grass may seem greener on the other side but in the end it's really still just grass.

Granted, how well a company responds to their manufacturing issues does indeed matter and no doubt Nikon has learned their lesson the hard way (and I certainly hope so.) In the meantime no company is immune from design and/or manufacturing failures.  Not one. Whether it's Mercedes-Benz or Toyota; Porsche or General Motors.

The reality is that humans tend to revel in the failures of others. Which is why videos of people damaging themselves and stories of failed celebrities and politicians are so popular. Immediately attacking another person or any entity's shortcomings soothes the emotions of the inadequacies of our own lives and of our very own personal failures.

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,433Gear list
Like?
Re: Thats assuming the D600's did not have the new shutter
In reply to sandy b, 6 months ago

sandy b wrote:

Something we certainly don't know, but I suspect they did.

Would you buy one? No way in hell for me.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Rich Rosen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, 6 months ago

Skipper494 wrote:

I keep hearing all these complaints and have been buying cameras for 76 years, the only lemon being a Fuji HS10, which went back. Even my Nikon P7000, first out of the dealer's crate, has performed impeccably and continues to do so. My 1996 Fuji MX600 is still going, see below:

Bath time

You've been very lucky! Not all of us have. Many have been unlucky when they purchased the D600. All D600 buyers became unlucky when the camera picked up the reputation as a dust magnet, even those who were lucky enough not to have the dust issue.  Nikon confirmed that ill fortune with the notice to correct the issue. If we try to sell our cameras on the used market, D600 owners will get "pennies on the dollar." My D600 is in Melville getting its shutter replaced, and spring is here. That situation is not what I call being lucky.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +23 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: China asks Nikon to halt all D600 sales
In reply to Fogsville, 6 months ago

Fogsville wrote:

There's a much bigger story here than China's response to Nikon's debacle. There's some good reading about China's responses to foreign investments and sales within the border. Read about the Chinese car industry and their response to foreign automakers. It's pretty fascinating. Also with corporations like Apple, etc..

I'm not condoning Nikon's behavior with the D600 (and I'm a D600 owner), but Nikon is not in trouble because of Chinese perceptions of Nikon specifically. Sure it will affect sales but there's another issue going on here.....

Funny that they should go after Nikon, who do quite a lot of manufacturing in China, rather than one of the other Japanese camera manufacturers who don't manufacture very much there...

I know China make their own autos, smartphones, etc. and running down foreign competition may help protect or boost sales of products made by Chinese companies - but is there any significant Chinese camera maker?

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
Re: Who is being foolish?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 6 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Nikon are on record as saying the D600 problem is only occasional, and Nikon UK's MD is on the record as saying in the UK there have been very few D600 complaints.

Isn't that the problem? Nikon have said a lot of things about this issue which seem blatantly untrue.

Otherwise why would they now be offering to replace the shutters in all D600s - even out of warranty, bought second hand, grey market, etc.

Yet still it seems they are trying to portray it as a minor dust issue.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?
Re: Trouble for Nikon
In reply to pwilly, 6 months ago

pwilly wrote:

Lifer wrote:

Lets face it, Nikon left themselves wide open for this one and who ever is responsible for this debacle should be fired.

-- hide signature --

Richard R. Price

I agree, but how do you fire a vendor, Copal, when no one else makes shutters you can use. I suspect it has taken the last year to produce evidence that Copal was at fault, create a fix, produce and distribute sufficient quantity to avoid debacle part 2.

Maybe Nikon asked Copal to produce the shutters for the D600 at too low a price point - but anyway Nikon should do proper testing and QC of all parts going into their cameras and this should have been picked up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads