Trouble for Nikon?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?
Trouble for Nikon?
9 months ago
 dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,198Gear list
Like?
Re: Trouble for Nikon?
In reply to dmanthree, 9 months ago

Legitimate Nikon sales cutting into China's counterfeit market ? 

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
"Sick cultures show a complex of symptoms such as you have named...but a dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners is more significant than a riot."
This symptom is especially serious in that an individual displaying it never thinks of it as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength. ...Friday, it is too late to save this culture--this worldwide culture... Therefore we must now prepare the monasteries for the coming Dark Age. Electronic records are too fragile..."
--Robert A. Heinlein in "Friday"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photec
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?

My goodness, talk about "the Pot calling the kettle black"!! Of anyone to say someone is selling inferior products - - - CHINA?? With the crap they export???

What is wrong with this picture?!

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
The real trouble may still be ahead...

With all that talk in the article about Starbucks being targeted for selling overpriced coffee, imagine the outrage if they find out about the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4g.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to Photec, 9 months ago

Photec wrote:

My goodness, talk about "the Pot calling the kettle black"!! Of anyone to say someone is selling inferior products - - - CHINA?? With the crap they export???

What is wrong with this picture?!

Honestly, I thought the same thing. But Nikon really screwed the pooch on this model. Deny, deny, introduce a new model, and then 'fess up. Badly done.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
dmanthree
Like?
Re: The real trouble may still be ahead...
In reply to paulski66, 9 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

With all that talk in the article about Starbucks being targeted for selling overpriced coffee, imagine the outrage if they find out about the Nikkor 58mm f/1.4g.

If I was going to target an item for being overpriced, it would be Canon plastic lens hoods. Canon Plastic must be magical.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Lifer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,804Gear list
Like?
Re: Trouble for Nikon

Lets face it, Nikon left themselves wide open for this one and who ever is responsible for this debacle should be fired.

-- hide signature --

Richard R. Price

Lifer's gear list:Lifer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
That's just the Chinese

dmanthree wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/17/news/companies/nikon-china/index.html?iid=HP_LN

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

being foolish! I learned on here that the D600 issue is internet hype, and that everyone should just clean their sensors anyway.  We'll have to keep the Chinese off the internet!  

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,752Gear list
Like?
Re: Who is being foolish?
In reply to T O Shooter, 9 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:.

being foolish! I learned on here that the D600 issue is internet hype, and that everyone should just clean their sensors anyway.

Everybody should occasionally clean their sensor

Nikon are on record as saying the D600 problem is only occasional, and Nikon UK's MD is on the record as saying in the UK there have been very few D600 complaints.

You do not have to go far back on this and other forums to learn untrue claims that all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have internal peeling paint

I am not suggesting no D600's had a fault but I know 14 owners who do not have a fault. I looked at several "claims" posted on this forum and noted few "complainers" seemed to know what normal dust or liquid on a sensor was

I take the view that as anybody getting the occasional defective dishwater, printer, camera etc is entitled to a prompt exchange in UK, the EEC and USA the "99% of D600's have dust" type threads are almost as exaggerated as all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have peeling paint.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may not always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
Re: The real trouble may still be ahead...

dmanthree wrote:

paulski66 wrote:

If I was going to target an item for being overpriced, it would be Canon plastic lens hoods. Canon Plastic must be magical.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

If I don't get these overpriced hoods along with my pre-owned purchases...I get them from....China.  So I doubt they'll have a problem there.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
Funny fellow! Ha Ha!
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 9 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:.

It's only the Chinese being foolish! I learned on here that the D600 issue is internet hype, and that everyone should just clean their sensors anyway.

Everybody should occasionally clean their sensor

Nikon are on record as saying the D600 problem is only occasional, and Nikon UK's MD is on the record as saying in the UK there have been very few D600 complaints.

You do not have to go far back on this and other forums to learn untrue claims that all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have internal peeling paint

I am not suggesting no D600's had a fault but I know 14 owners who do not have a fault. I looked at several "claims" posted on this forum and noted few "complainers" seemed to know what normal dust or liquid on a sensor was

I take the view that as anybody getting the occasional defective dishwater, printer, camera etc is entitled to a prompt exchange in UK, the EEC and USA the "99% of D600's have dust" type threads are almost as exaggerated as all 24-70's leak light and all 70-200's have peeling paint.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
We all aspire to take great photos but may not always achieve this perhaps due to a lack of application, a lack of knowledge, or even a lack of talent.
The best photographers probably work quite hard at their photography.

Oh yes, I fully realize it was only a very, very few D600s that had an issue. Stupid really, class action law suits, new 610 model introduced for no good reason, full, unlimited to anyone shutter warranty, for anyone who happened to buy, steal, pick up in the ditch, a D600. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous! And only a very few complaints. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009
Like?

If Chinese are complaining, Nikon is in serious trouble in the asian market. Nikon has shot itself in the foot by not addressing the D600 issue early. Someone's head at Nikon has to roll if Nikon is to fix its image.

nikonjohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275
Like?
Leonard - No matter how you try to explain D600 dust problems away....
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 9 months ago

Nikon has finally issued a service advisory to D600 owners, regardless of whether their camera is still covered by the warranty, that they will inspect, clean, and replace the shutter assembly to help resolve the dust problems they are experiencing.  Now maybe the service advisory was just issued to head off a class action lawsuit but I think that any objective observer would agree that there is some substance to their complaints.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
PR Nightmare

The D600 has become a real PR nightmare for Nikon. They should have fessed up WAY sooner, lest a cover-up model (D610) and at least 2 class-action lawsuits filed in the U.S.

The 2nd service advisory to assess and replace defective shutters of D600's (regardless of warranty expiration) is at least a start to regain goodwill among some consumers. However, for some the damage has been done.

surrephoto
Regular MemberPosts: 228
Like?
My maybe unpopular opinions;
In reply to nikonjohn, 9 months ago

Not sure whether to feel happy or sad about this amount of exposure Nikon received on CCTV... I might be displeased with Nikon due to my personal Nikon camera issues, but this has certainly taken it to another level of yet unknown severity. Akin to doing hyperspace travel to the outer-rim. Hopefully not another dark age similar to pre-"D3 glory:.

Based on another update news report video I watched regarding the investigations now being conducted in Shanghai, Nikon remains unapologetic & insists that all D-SLR cameras are susceptible to sensor dust & that the D600 is not defective. We obviously do not expect & is unlikely they will ever admit a manufacturing defect.

Also, it has become undeniable that numerous defects & issues are being underplayed by many apologists, but perhaps the populace of Nikon users are mainly old-faithfuls who believe strongly in the Nikon brand name. I can understand that totally.

Finally, I've heard claims that the shutter mechanism of the D600 is not made by Nikon themselves. Just as how multilayered the Msia Airlines MH370 incident turned out to be... I doubt the D600 issue is so simple & trivial.

http://tv.sohu.com/20140315/n396664815.shtml

Just like chinasmack... I'll provide some direct translations of what some of those interviewed on the video said;

"I thought it were a flock of birds, but it turned out to be black spots!"

"You find rat poop in your rice, you mean you'd eat it because it's JUST a few specks?"

"I've been here 5 times, it's this darned CMOS-old-dirty".

"China's smog is bad, dust isn't all that special you know..."

"You don't even get to see blue skies in Shanghai nowadays, and with that smog recently... yeah, it's inevitable."

"If you want zero dust go look for a clean-room."

"I didn't leave the service center, f11, 10 shots... TEN shots!"

"Don't shoot with the camera facing up! Once you release that shutter, dust falls in!"

"You've got high product requirements... take it back, rub, rub, rub, rub, rub, rub it... he thinks he has the patience, we're perfectly fine with that!"

"Exchange? No, no, no, why should we do an exchange? We don't have such product policies!"

"Sensor cleaning? That's not repair! You go somewhere and change tires & let's say you do a hundred chassis cleanings at the workshop, & you mean someone's gonna do an exchange for a new car for you?"

"Changing the shutter is a preventative measure... prevents the sensor from shedding dust."

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,918
Like?
Re: PR Nightmare
In reply to reginalddwight, 9 months ago

The D600 has become a real PR nightmare for Nikon. They should have fessed up WAY sooner, lest a cover-up model (D610) and at least 2 class-action lawsuits filed in the U.S.

The 2nd service advisory to assess and replace defective shutters of D600's (regardless of warranty expiration) is at least a start to regain goodwill among some consumers. However, for some the damage has been done.

Nikon built their reputation on the old F series due to professional build and bomb proof construction. They built their loyal following by retaining compatibility with their old lenses and accessories whilst other manufacturers changed mounts. In other words they gave the impression of quality, long lasting value and honouring their customers' investment.

Fuji have recognised these qualities and are successfully emulating the approach. Nikon however are of the mistaken belief that they will be more successful by cutting costs at the expense of their reputation.

Very sad and very terminal if it continues.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
Bigger deal than most people realize
In reply to reginalddwight, 9 months ago

reginalddwight wrote:

Was taking lunch break and out of the blue on Bloomberg the headline scrolled by talking about how Nikon halted sales over 'defective' cameras in China.

Remember China is one of the most important emerging markets...one actually stressed upon a bit by Nikon execs during the interview.  People can continue to make bigoted remarks about stuff made in China, but no doubt it is a very important market.  Take a look at the Red Obsession documentary about fine wine.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?

"Trouble for Nikon?"

What's up with these threads and the misleading titles?

It's like those sensationalist titles used by HuffPost and the National Enquirer.  Designed to draw attention but with content that actually has little to do with the title.  DPReview is becoming the equivalent of the tabloid check out stand at the supermarket..... 

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454
Like?
China asks Nikon to halt all D600 sales
In reply to Fogsville, 9 months ago

Fogsville wrote:

"Trouble for Nikon?"

What's up with these threads and the misleading titles?

It's like those sensationalist titles used by HuffPost and the National Enquirer. Designed to draw attention but with content that actually has little to do with the title. DPReview is becoming the equivalent of the tabloid check out stand at the supermarket.....

If anything the title is understated. News:

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/nikon-asked-halt-d600-sales-china-scathing-nationally-televised-expose/

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
Re: PR Nightmare
In reply to Photo Pete, 9 months ago

Photo Pete wrote:

Nikon built their reputation on the old F series due to professional build and bomb proof construction. They built their loyal following by retaining compatibility with their old lenses and accessories whilst other manufacturers changed mounts. In other words they gave the impression of quality, long lasting value and honouring their customers' investment.

Fuji have recognised these qualities and are successfully emulating the approach. Nikon however are of the mistaken belief that they will be more successful by cutting costs at the expense of their reputation.

Very sad and very terminal if it continues.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

very true photo pete,bought my first nikon back in 1978(nikon FE)then added FE2 later on,followed by F5 and F100.never had a problem with any of those cameras.i still have those cameras except for the F5(sold..big mistake)and they are in perfect working order.im now shooting with d700/d300s/D2h..and entery level d3200(fantastic little camera)bought d600 back in 2012 to replace my excellent d300s..and ancient d2h(extremely reliable)D600 was a nightmare for me.due the qc "issues"..and got rid of it in less than 4months of ownwership due multiple visits to nikon repair(melville NY)with no "fix" and camera "within specs" d600 is the only nikon camera i have ever rejected..a real shame because it really has stellar iq..but the damage is done.THANK GOD i held on to my ff d700 and will continue to use my old d300s AND ancient d2h until they stop working.afraid to buy nikon latest offerings..d400?.forget it ..it aint coming, for my dx needs its d300s and d2h  for outdoor shooting @ iso 100-800..d3200 was bought used in new condition(less than 4k clicks) from a newbie that could not master it for a giveaway price..impressive iq and sharpness in the low iso range.no more new nikons for me.my clients still happy with the images from the old cameras

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads