Developing α7 RAW images

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Fritz85
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Developing α7 RAW images
7 months ago

I'm a new owner of a Sony Alpha α7 camera and recently captured some amazing images on a recent holiday to La Palma, Spain with an FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS lens. Unfortunately, the IQ of the RAW images in Lightroom are sub-par when compared to the output of the same images in Sony's own Image Data Converter.

Colors are a little more vivid, details are sharper.

I hope JPEG compression has little effect on my illustration.

My main question is: Instead of dealing with Image Data Converter, is there another program (such as DxO Optics Pro, for example) which will retain the amazing IQ that this camera is capable of?

 Fritz85's gear list:Fritz85's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 896Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Yes,

Lightroom is poor for managing noise/sharpness, and colors.

it's the best to revover highlight, and for the workflow

I bought photoninja for the A7, it's excellent for details, noise, color, generally good for highlights, fails sometimes though

it needs more tools, but update come quickly, can be integrated in lightroom

 le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Hm, seems like the image on the left can easily be achievable thru adding sharpness and saturation in Lightroom. I guess the left image seems sharpened thru conversion rather than the right image being soft. Not sure what kind of effect that sort of conversion will have in OOF areas.

 J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,538
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Every image processing software adds it's own flavor to the mix. It would be rather pointless if they all cooked the RAWs exactly the same way.

Most people find DxO closest to Sony's own Image Data Converter, thought it's fairly easy to modify the default settings of any other image processor to give an extremely similar look.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

there clearly are some sharpness differences there... i've seen this before, raw converters seem to add sharpness to different degrees, even when the default settings are at zero... awhile back i saw a comparison of 10 or so raw conversions, same pic but all from different converters, and it seemed that the author was inferring that they should be ranked on how they were default sharpened by the raw converter.

he didn't actually pic a winner, it was weird... he's a member of dpr, a european guy, who knows his way around raw converters.

how do those images compare after you've sharpened them as best you can? are the details comparable then?

-- hide signature --

dan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Brian_Smith, 7 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

Every image processing software adds it's own flavor to the mix. It would be rather pointless if they all cooked the RAWs exactly the same way.

Most people find DxO closest to Sony's own Image Data Converter, thought it's fairly easy to modify the default settings of any other image processor to give an extremely similar look.

I'm a happy user of DxO, which does a fine job with my RX100 and NEX-7 images. For the A7, the more expensive Elite edition would be needed.

 Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Viramati
Contributing MemberPosts: 576Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to le_alain, 7 months ago

le_alain wrote:

Yes,

Lightroom is poor for managing noise/sharpness, and colors.

it's the best to revover highlight, and for the workflow

I bought photoninja for the A7, it's excellent for details, noise, color, generally good for highlights, fails sometimes though

it needs more tools, but update come quickly, can be integrated in lightroom

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Lr5.3 has very powerful noise and sharpening tools but they take quite a bit of practice and knowledge to get the best out of them. There are some excellent tutorials online.

as a basic starting point setting for base iso try this for A7 files with landscape and architecture.

Clarity +10

Sharpening

amount 60

radius 0.7

detail 70

masking 25

David
http://www.dpsampson.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viramati/

 Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
RX100 III Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,576
Like?
Did you try RawTherapee?
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

It's totally free, so you have nothing to lose.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,667Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Fritz85 wrote:

I'm a new owner of a Sony Alpha α7 camera and recently captured some amazing images on a recent holiday to La Palma, Spain with an FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS lens. Unfortunately, the IQ of the RAW images in Lightroom are sub-par when compared to the output of the same images in Sony's own Image Data Converter.

Colors are a little more vivid, details are sharper.

I hope JPEG compression has little effect on my illustration.

My main question is: Instead of dealing with Image Data Converter, is there another program (such as DxO Optics Pro, for example) which will retain the amazing IQ that this camera is capable of?

I don't think you're testing one vs. the other here, your'e testing your own ability to use each one.

Do you actually think the Sony results are better? To me, the right one looks better. The one on the left looks over sharpened with too much structure and contrast while the one on the right is smoother, has less noise in the lower right quadrant and has more manageable detail.

For me - the best results have been achieved with Capture One from Phase One. I've not used it for the A7 yet, but I used the demo on my D600 and I could see better results from it than anything I've used since.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry L
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to stevo23, 7 months ago

I am pleased with DxO Optics Pro, although I think the Elite version -- necessary for the A7 -- is over-priced. This photo was taken at ISO 25600 and given the PRIME treatment in DxO.

-- hide signature --

Terry Lane
terryl@bigpond.net.au
http://www.dpexpert.com.au

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry L
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Terry L, 7 months ago

Sorry...I should have said that it was given the PRIME Noise Reduction treatment in DxO.

And I don't normally have the camera set to ISO25600 -- I was testing to see what DxO Optics Pro 9 could do.

-- hide signature --

Terry Lane
terryl@bigpond.net.au
http://www.dpexpert.com.au

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Clifford
Contributing MemberPosts: 686Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Terry L, 7 months ago

My version of DXO dosn't support my A7r or my Fuji X100S so I been using Photo Ninja on a two week trial. I'm very impressed and shall be purchasing  it. One good thing for me is that it will run on my old XP PC at the office, most apps. now require newer operating systems.

Nigel

 Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Nigel Clifford, 7 months ago

Nigel Clifford wrote:

My version of DXO dosn't support my A7r or my Fuji X100S so I been using Photo Ninja on a two week trial. I'm very impressed and shall be purchasing it. One good thing for me is that it will run on my old XP PC at the office, most apps. now require newer operating systems.

Do you miss the automatic lens geometry corrections that DxO provides, but Photo Ninja doesn't?  And have you tried the NR in very high ISO images?

 Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Brian_Smith, 7 months ago

Brian_Smith wrote:

Every image processing software adds it's own flavor to the mix. It would be rather pointless if they all cooked the RAWs exactly the same way.

This is true. There is no 'neutral' raw converter settings. Default is just a starting point.

After working for some years with working on how we intepret photographs and percieve colors, I also have lost all illusions about 'true' colors as a reference to the subjet - except when working with technical photography where the reference is the main goal, like reproducing art or dealing with product photography where excact color schemes matters. For most photographs we deal with the image itself, not the reference to the subject.

 Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Clifford
Contributing MemberPosts: 686Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Digital Nigel, 7 months ago

I havn't really missed the automatic lens geometry corrections that DxO provides, I've been testing with the FE35 and FE55, but do find it useful when processing my Canon files, as to the NR in very high ISO images, I am surprised that Ninja is not better, if necessary I clean up output TIFFS in Corel Photopaint, I've been using Corel for many years, early nineties.

I do find however, the shadow recovery in Ninja is really good as are the colour profiles.

Nigel

 Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulR
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Fritz85, 7 months ago

Fritz85 wrote:

I'm a new owner of a Sony Alpha α7 camera and recently captured some amazing images on a recent holiday to La Palma, Spain with an FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS lens. Unfortunately, the IQ of the RAW images in Lightroom are sub-par when compared to the output of the same images in Sony's own Image Data Converter.

Where do you get the Sony Image Data Converter software?

 PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Clifford
Contributing MemberPosts: 686Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to PaulR, 7 months ago
 Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Fritz85
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to PaulR, 7 months ago
 Fritz85's gear list:Fritz85's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,654Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Viramati, 7 months ago

Viramati wrote:

le_alain wrote:

Yes,

Lightroom is poor for managing noise/sharpness, and colors.

it's the best to revover highlight, and for the workflow

I bought photoninja for the A7, it's excellent for details, noise, color, generally good for highlights, fails sometimes though

it needs more tools, but update come quickly, can be integrated in lightroom

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Lr5.3 has very powerful noise and sharpening tools but they take quite a bit of practice and knowledge to get the best out of them. There are some excellent tutorials online.

as a basic starting point setting for base iso try this for A7 files with landscape and architecture.

Clarity +10

Sharpening

amount 60

radius 0.7

detail 70

masking 25

David
http://www.dpsampson.zenfolio.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viramati/

Thanks! I had all but radius and masking the same - I always left them at default because I couldn't see their impact. I find playing with sharpness and luminescence to be valuable in managing noise without losing detail. Otherwise your settings are the same as mine.

 Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Clifford
Contributing MemberPosts: 686Gear list
Like?
Re: Developing α7 RAW images
In reply to Nigel Clifford, 7 months ago
 Nigel Clifford's gear list:Nigel Clifford's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads