Tennis - ATP Visit Panama Challenger 2014

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
CE Barnes
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
Tennis - ATP Visit Panama Challenger 2014
6 months ago

Hi,

A couple pictures from yesterday afternoon during the qualifying rounds of the ATP Visit Panama Challenger. This year there are even better players... This year we saw as in the past, junior players trying to get their first ATP points. I sat down to see 2 great matches, one between Alexander Zverev (winner of the Australian Jr. Open) and Tiago Monteiro (#272) where Monteiro beat Zverev easily. The other match was between doubles partners Jarmere Jenkins and Bjorn Fratangelo. This second match was pretty close and went down to a tie breaker in the third, won by Jenkins.

Cheers,

Charlie

CE Barnes's gear list:CE Barnes's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?
Re: Tennis - ATP Visit Panama Challenger 2014
In reply to CE Barnes, 6 months ago

Hello. I assume you want CC, so here it goes. My guess you were using a 70-200mm from the stands. A lot photographers feel they need to capture the entire player. Well, the result is you will get a lot of background distractions, and not much of the expression of the player making the shot. Sure, a few of them should include information of the location of the match, maybe even the advertisers of the event. But, most of the time, try capturing the action...expressions, ball on racket, the reach and extension of the arm.

In your situation, I would shoot at 200mm, and crop the photo tightly.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CE Barnes
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 6 months ago

wasserball wrote:

Hello. I assume you want CC, so here it goes. My guess you were using a 70-200mm from the stands. A lot photographers feel they need to capture the entire player. Well, the result is you will get a lot of background distractions, and not much of the expression of the player making the shot. Sure, a few of them should include information of the location of the match, maybe even the advertisers of the event. But, most of the time, try capturing the action...expressions, ball on racket, the reach and extension of the arm.

Hi wasserball,

Yes, I was using a 70-200 as it was a small stadium.  I did not want to go down to the ground floor to take pictures, so I took them from the stands at the center of the court as this was "just" the qualifying rounds...   Since I just wanted to post some pictures including the tournament logo I did take the "full players".  I hear what you are saying, nevertheless the young players prefer to have pictures as the ones I posted.  Being an avid tennis player, and having kids who play at the competitive level these are just my observations based on past experience.

Cheers,

Charlie

Canon EOS-1D X
wasserball
Like?

CE Barnes wrote:

wasserball wrote:

Hi wasserball,

Yes, I was using a 70-200 as it was a small stadium. I did not want to go down to the ground floor to take pictures, so I took them from the stands at the center of the court as this was "just" the qualifying rounds... Since I just wanted to post some pictures including the tournament logo I did take the "full players". I hear what you are saying, nevertheless the young players prefer to have pictures as the ones I posted. Being an avid tennis player, and having kids who play at the competitive level these are just my observations based on past experience.

Cheers,

Charlie

Fully understand your reasoning. I shoot lower level players where they want to see everything. What I have found from being in the center is that I have the tendency of trying to capture both players, therefore, I swing the camera back and forth. Rather, concentrate on one player, with the sun to your advantage. I find that I get into the rhythm of timing the shot as the player hits the ball.

Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
CE Barnes
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 6 months ago

Hi waserball,

When you shoot tennis, particularly as the playing level gets more intense, when you sit in the middle of the court you should not swing from side to side to capture the play action. You should try to shoot with both eyes open but concentrate on one side of the court.  With the non dominant eye you should be able to have some peripheral vision and determine if the ball is coming back.  The shots were you have racket-ball contact are not always the best...  I don't aim and spray, although my equipment can do it, as I have great timing for the shots.

Cheers,

Charlie

Canon EOS-1D X
wasserball
Like?

CE Barnes wrote:

Hi waserball,

When you shoot tennis, particularly as the playing level gets more intense, when you sit in the middle of the court you should not swing from side to side to capture the play action. You should try to shoot with both eyes open but concentrate on one side of the court. With the non dominant eye you should be able to have some peripheral vision and determine if the ball is coming back. The shots were you have racket-ball contact are not always the best... I don't aim and spray, although my equipment can do it, as I have great timing for the shots.

Cheers,

Charlie

I think that's what I was saying, in the end, if you read it again. 

bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Shot #2 with the clay dust coming off the racquet is awesome.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
CE Barnes
Like?
In reply to bruxi, 6 months ago

bruxi wrote:

Shot #2 with the clay dust coming off the racquet is awesome.

Thanks bruxi !

Canon EOS-1D X
CE Barnes
Like?

A couple more of picture from Wed night singles action where Potito Starace lost against Blaz Rola in 2 straight sets.

Cheers,

Charlie

Canon EOS-1D X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads