The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
SunsetBk
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses
8 months ago

I a small weather sealed lens would be very welcome.  I know that weather sealing takes up space, but the EM5 is small and its been out for 2 years.  If it could be pared up with a weather sealed pancake it would be amazing.  So far all of the weather sealed lenses are quite large: 12-40 2.8, 12-50, 12-35 panasonic, and 60mm macro.  What I would really would enjoy would be a 12-32 weather sealed pancake, or a 25mm fast weather sealed prime.  Is there any reason that weather sealed usually mean large on micro four thirds?

zuikowesty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,150Gear list
Like?
Re: The one thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed lenses
In reply to SunsetBk, 8 months ago

I agree, but we seem to be in the minority, as few seemed to agree in this thread (although that was for a zoom, so maybe a prime would fare better.)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53292314

Why not re-design the 17/2.8, the oldest and weakest of the lineup, and make it weathersealed. It seems unlikely we will get another compact zoom anytime soon, but maybe a prime. I wonder how many sales Olympus has lost to Panasonic over the 20/1.7? A w/s prime to compete with that would probably get some attention, but the performance would have to match also.

-- hide signature --
 zuikowesty's gear list:zuikowesty's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Frank B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,382Gear list
Like?

I would definetly consider purchasing a small prime with weather sealing.

-- hide signature --
 Frank B's gear list:Frank B's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +5 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230Gear list
Like?
Good hoods?

Without a good hood, the front element is going to get all wet and potentially ruin the shot — even if the rain doesn't get inside.

People scoff at the beer-stein-sized hood on the 50-200SWD… but there's never a rain drop that gets on THAT lens element.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,984
Like?

SunsetBk wrote:

I a small weather sealed lens would be very welcome. I know that weather sealing takes up space, but the EM5 is small and its been out for 2 years. If it could be pared up with a weather sealed pancake it would be amazing. So far all of the weather sealed lenses are quite large: 12-40 2.8, 12-50, 12-35 panasonic, and 60mm macro. What I would really would enjoy would be a 12-32 weather sealed pancake, or a 25mm fast weather sealed prime. Is there any reason that weather sealed usually mean large on micro four thirds?

The need is pretty low for the wanting of weather sealed primes, those the want them are fan boys or those that very rarely venture out in bad weather anyway.

broody
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

It would have been fantastic for the 25mm to be weathersealed...

I agree this is one area that M43 hasn't expanded on.

zuikowesty
Like?

Paulmorgan wrote:

SunsetBk wrote:

I a small weather sealed lens would be very welcome. I know that weather sealing takes up space, but the EM5 is small and its been out for 2 years. If it could be pared up with a weather sealed pancake it would be amazing. So far all of the weather sealed lenses are quite large: 12-40 2.8, 12-50, 12-35 panasonic, and 60mm macro. What I would really would enjoy would be a 12-32 weather sealed pancake, or a 25mm fast weather sealed prime. Is there any reason that weather sealed usually mean large on micro four thirds?

The need is pretty low for the wanting of weather sealed primes, those the want them are fan boys or those that very rarely venture out in bad weather anyway.

I'm guessing you don't live in a rainforest.

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Stylus Tough-3000 Olympus Stylus 5010 Olympus E-410 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +10 more
zuikowesty
Like?
Re: Good hoods?
In reply to Barry Stewart, 8 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Without a good hood, the front element is going to get all wet and potentially ruin the shot — even if the rain doesn't get inside.

People scoff at the beer-stein-sized hood on the 50-200SWD… but there's never a rain drop that gets on THAT lens element.

-- hide signature --

Barry

I agree a hood is helpful, but if it's not windy, keep it pointed down when not shooting and you're usually ok. This has worked with the 12-50 so far. With my 40-150, I put a plastic bag over the barrel + the hood and it does ok. But to me the big thing about weathersealing is unexpected water, such as big wave, or a gust in heavy rain. Having lost an OM-2 and a bag full of lenses in a matter of seconds years ago, I know how fast a wave can catch you off-guard. I suspect the body and mounted lens would have survived if it were an E-M5 and 12-50 today, but I don't know about the unmounted lenses.

-- hide signature --
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,984
Like?
In reply to zuikowesty, 8 months ago

zuikowesty wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

SunsetBk wrote:

-- hide signature --

No not a rain Forrest, but we get plenty of bad weather with the occasional snow blizzard and I get out in all weather and use none sealed lenses with never a single problem.

Weather sealing is only really needed for the most extreme cases and those that are out in it almost 24/7 and this is likely to effect very few users here.

My guess is that far to many of these forum users spend far to much time dusting every single spec of dust off there bodies and lenses and would have a hissy fit if a single droplet of rain landed on there beloved camera

wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,655
Like?
One other thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed body

a sealed GM-1 body would be just fine too!

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

ShatteredSky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Agreed

With the exception that the 60 macro is already positively tiny in my opinion.

Regards

-- hide signature --

"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
SunsetBk
Like?

Paulmorgan wrote:

SunsetBk wrote:

Thanks for your thorough marketing study.   Why wouldnt weather sealing be useful? I love taking photos in a storm or rain when light is diffused and less harsh.  Having sealing is not essential, but its certainly nice to have.

SunsetBk
Like?
Re: One other thing missing from micro four thirds: small weather sealed body
In reply to wolfie, 8 months ago

wolfie wrote:

a sealed GM-1 body would be just fine too!

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

Sealed GM1 + 12-32 pancake woudl be a dream travel camera.

Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,191Gear list
Like?

SunsetBk wrote:

While I can see the attraction of primes for some things, for me the issue is lack of long zoom options (without going to the classic 4/3rds 50-200mm). Typically when I'm doing events, and it is raining, the last thing I want to do is change lenses. So I would mount the 50-200mm on either the E-5 or E-3, and mount the 14-54mm or 11-22mm on the other.

While the forthcoming 40-150mm f/2.8 will be nice, I would like to see a weather sealed consumer long zoom lens, either the 75-300mm or 14-150mm. As it is, I've blown my camera budget for the year, so it will be a long time before I can think about the current weather sealed lenses.

Particularly with Olympus starting to offer E-M5's at fire sale prices (presumably to clear the decks for the E-M5 mark 2), more people are picking up the E-M5 (like I did on the Presidents day 20% sale of refurbished cameras), and not all of us have champange budgets.

In terms of weather sealing, I think Olympus made a branding mistake in making the E-M10 an OM-D.  Before that, OM-D meant weather sealing and builtin EVF.  Well the E-M10 has the EVF, but it doesn't have the weather sealing.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?

SunsetBk wrote:

Costs a bit more to do so it is probably usually only applied to premium lenses that might be used all-weather.. Making 2 models of the same lenses costs more too.
In the end I can see all new Oly lens lodels being sealed.

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
Michael Meissner
Like?
Re: Good hoods?
In reply to Barry Stewart, 8 months ago

Barry Stewart wrote:

Agreed, though in practice you have to balance usability of the hood (i.e. does it reverse for packing).  Having filters were the rain beads up and carrying drying cloths goes a long ways.

IIRC, many of the people scoffing were like me and owned the mark 1 version, whose hood is long, but is slim enough that when reversed, fits in a normal camera bag that is full.  I've never had a problem with water, except when the lens is pointed up (and the 50-200mm SWD would fail in the same way).

When I borrowed the 50-200 SWD while my 50-200 was being fixed after being dropped, I could not fit the hood in my normal gear bag, and wound up clipping the hood to the shoulder bag strap to carry it.

Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Michael Meissner
Like?

Paulmorgan wrote:

Some people prefer to frame the world through a prime, and will zoom with their feet to get to the right spot.  Some people need the higher speed that a prime offers, particularly as night falls.  Some are wanting to photograph bugs or flowers, and need an appropriate macro lens.  Some people are shooting scripted video, where for each shot, they put in the appropriate prime lens.

My needs tend to be satisfied by zooms, but I realize there are other people with different needs.

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,015
Like?
small weather sealed lenses

SunsetBk wrote:

I a small weather sealed lens would be very welcome. I know that weather sealing takes up space, but the EM5 is small and its been out for 2 years. If it could be pared up with a weather sealed pancake it would be amazing. ...

I agree, a weathersealed pancake would be super.

Something not so bright, not so expensive.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Michael Meissner
Like?

Paulmorgan wrote:

zuikowesty wrote:

No not a rain Forrest, but we get plenty of bad weather with the occasional snow blizzard and I get out in all weather and use none sealed lenses with never a single problem.

You've been lucky then.  I have had other electronics fail after being exposed to rain, that it is a reasonable precaution to take.

Weather sealing is only really needed for the most extreme cases and those that are out in it almost 24/7 and this is likely to effect very few users here.

On vacations, it is often a matter that sometimes during the day rain will come up.  Sometimes it is seemingly monsoon strength.  We like to go to renaissance faires, and I've had some days where you will get an hour of torrential rain or so, and then it will clear up.  Even if you decide to leave the faire, it can often times be 1/2 hour to get to your car (and one faire does not permit re-entry without paying for a second ticket).  About every third time we go to a particular faire (Sterling in upstate NY), we have a large amount of rain.

We went to Disneyworld in August and there it has about an hour of rain during each day.  Again, it is a large area, and you are out for an entire day which may have tropical storms.  In addition at parks like Disney, you have splash rides where you intentionally will get wet.  We also have gone to the boat ride at Niagara Falls several times (where they go up to the falls, and you will get wet, and the ponchos they give do not offer much protection).  My E-1 and 14-54mm lens has been through it several times.

Another advantage of weather sealed lenses is if you are photographing near the ocean and your camera gets splashed with salt water, it is a lot easier to clean the lens/camera by pouring distilled water on it, before the salt drys on the camera.

My guess is that far to many of these forum users spend far to much time dusting every single spec of dust off there bodies and lenses and would have a hissy fit if a single droplet of rain landed on there beloved camera

Such sympathy you have...

wpbarr
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 7 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

Weather sealing isn't just about the obvious weather conditions all the time. That I can deal with and plan for (housings, bags, etc.). It's really about the unobvious or unexpected event - a micro-burst, a large wave, a car driving through a puddle, a blast of sand or dust, a belch of smoke or soot, a spilled can of soda or pint of beer, etc. It also speaks to the robustness of the equipment.

wpbarr's gear list:wpbarr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads