DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time

Started 7 months ago | Questions
robertophoto
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time
7 months ago

A few months ago, I bought a used DP2 and have been very pleased with my results- photos shared on screen with Flickr, and also prints on 8.5 x 11" paper with print area about 6 x 9. I mean very pleased!

A few weeks ago, I bought a used DP2M and am now considering going back to the DP2.  It seems to me, and here is my question, that the main advantage of the Merrill version is the larger pixel size, with the opportunity for cropping.  The handling is somewhat improved, but I really learned to handle the DP2 without any problems.

On the other hand, the Merrill is larger and heavier, slower to write its files, and has a slightly less wide-angle lens.  I admit, I haven't taken the kind of pictures yet that owuld allow me to see if its general image quality is noticeably better.

Given my uses, do you think I should just stick with the Merrill and sell my DP2?  Or sell the Merrill and stay happy with my DP2?? And advice very welcome!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,281Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time
In reply to robertophoto, 7 months ago

robertophoto wrote:

A few months ago, I bought a used DP2 and have been very pleased with my results- photos shared on screen with Flickr, and also prints on 8.5 x 11" paper with print area about 6 x 9. I mean very pleased!

A few weeks ago, I bought a used DP2M and am now considering going back to the DP2. It seems to me, and here is my question, that the main advantage of the Merrill version is the larger pixel size, with the opportunity for cropping. The handling is somewhat improved, but I really learned to handle the DP2 without any problems.

On the other hand, the Merrill is larger and heavier, slower to write its files, and has a slightly less wide-angle lens. I admit, I haven't taken the kind of pictures yet that owuld allow me to see if its general image quality is noticeably better.

Given my uses, do you think I should just stick with the Merrill and sell my DP2? Or sell the Merrill and stay happy with my DP2?? And advice very welcome!

I think you answered your own question, if you're not noticing a difference and you prefer the handling of the DP2 and are comfortable with it then it's a no-brainer. I have the DP2X and recently bought a DP2M and the difference in resolution is amazing, this alone for me is worth the upgrade but if you don't need, want it or see it then the DP2 does a great job as well.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robertophoto
Like?

robertophoto wrote:

A few weeks ago, I bought a used DP2M and am now considering going back to the DP2. It seems to me, and here is my question, that the main advantage of the Merrill version is the larger pixel size, with the opportunity for cropping. The handling is somewhat improved, but I really learned to handle the DP2 without any problems.

On the other hand, the Merrill is larger and heavier, slower to write its files, and has a slightly less wide-angle lens. I admit, I haven't taken the kind of pictures yet that owuld allow me to see if its general image quality is noticeably better.

Given my uses, do you think I should just stick with the Merrill and sell my DP2? Or sell the Merrill and stay happy with my DP2?? And advice very welcome!

OK, It's time for a controlled experiment, which I admit I haven't done.

Doubleluca
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?

Why don't you keep them both?

Doubleluca's gear list:Doubleluca's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2s Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +3 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,500Gear list
Like?

If you are happy with the DP2, the compactness is a large advantage.

You could also try shooting the DP-2M in medium res mode to bring in some advantage of faster shooting/processing/larger buffer.  It will still have more resolution than the DP2.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Goldfinger234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 7 months ago

I'm not speaking from experience here as I don't own a very high res. monitor, but not so long back I was reading a particularly eloquent question from an American lawyer, who was talking about future proofing images and therefore his reason for using a D800, even though he's no more than a keen amateur photographer. The gist was that when high res. monitors become the norm, and it won't be too long, the difference in resolution between something like the DP2 and DP2M will become very apparent on screen, never mind when printed to a decent size. I'd never really given it much thought, even though I now own a 2M and used to own the 2, but it does make sense. If you end up with a 30" high res monitor, or something close, you'd expect to see the difference clearly.

robertophoto
Like?
In reply to Goldfinger234, 7 months ago

Thanks, everyone.

I am considering keeping both cameras, but I like to keep my life simple, and even deciding which one(s) to carry on a given day is a bit much.  (I also have a DP1!).

I am a slow photographer, so the time it takes to write to files is not very important.  more important is the size.  But I got into Sigma DP because of the astonishing picture quality. so I think I'd better do more taking and looking and printing before seeing which way to go.

Again, I appreciate the thoughtful answers.

khunpapa
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Goldfinger234, 7 months ago

Goldfinger234 wrote:

I'm not speaking from experience here as I don't own a very high res. monitor, but not so long back I was reading a particularly eloquent question from an American lawyer, who was talking about future proofing images and therefore his reason for using a D800, even though he's no more than a keen amateur photographer. The gist was that when high res. monitors become the norm, and it won't be too long, the difference in resolution between something like the DP2 and DP2M will become very apparent on screen, never mind when printed to a decent size. I'd never really given it much thought, even though I now own a 2M and used to own the 2, but it does make sense. If you end up with a 30" high res monitor, or something close, you'd expect to see the difference clearly.

You already own ultra high res monitor.

About 10 years ago, the 19" 1024x768 LCD monitor is the luxery. The 2.7 MP D1 that gives you "High Quality, clean, detailed images" was king althought "JPEG/TIFF artifacts thanks to poor in-camera sharpening algorithm (must use Low sharpening to get the most out of JPEG/TIFF).
Pattern noise at higher ISO's more difficult to remove than random noise"
If people of that time had thought "oh, why bother with 2.7MP raw. I have only 640x480 monitor, not that very high res 15" SVGA one. Hard disk price is too much expensive too. My precious memory at 1024*768 is already overkilled.". Think of them when they see their past memories in nowaday 42" "plain vanilla LCD monitor".

For me, photo is not just a snap or another piece of artworks. But it's ---

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +11 more
robertophoto
Like?
Re: DP2M compared to DP2 - decision time-DONE!

OK, I took several photos on both cameras and now I can see that the Merrill camera greatly exceeds the already-wonderful DP2 in clarity and definition.  AKA resolution, I suppose. It's evident on my iMac 21" monitor. I don't have to dop prints to conclude that I will certainly keep the DP2M, and will possible keep the DP2 just as a smaller wonderful backup.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads