Lightroom 5.3 Presets

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Garretray
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 5.3 Presets
9 months ago

I've recently switched from Olympus (E-30, E-510) to Pentax (K-3).  There is a "universal" preset designed to optimize: sharpness, saturation, noise reduction, color ect......... for the specific camera.

Does Pentax have such a preset?

Thanks,  Garret

Garretray's gear list:Garretray's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5.3 Presets
In reply to Garretray, 9 months ago

One thing I do is to shoot with the DNG option for my RAW files ( option in camera ).

This allows for the color information to be embedded in the DNG and LR can read that.

Then LR can be configured ( preset you save to yourself ) to import files with the embedded color info ( vs the standard LR profile ). You do it once and then all your imported files are done with the Pentax color profile.

Hope this makes sense to you and helps...

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?
In reply to Younes B, 9 months ago

Younes B wrote:

One thing I do is to shoot with the DNG option for my RAW files ( option in camera ).

This allows for the color information to be embedded in the DNG and LR can read that.

Then LR can be configured ( preset you save to yourself ) to import files with the embedded color info ( vs the standard LR profile ). You do it once and then all your imported files are done with the Pentax color profile.

I've always just let Lightroom do it's thing when I import the DNGs. How do I set the Pentax embedded profile?

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
walgarch
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?

I couldn't find any Pentax provided lightroom presets so I just created one. I've got my lightroom preset set to go off on import that does the following:

• +10 to contrast (Since I shoot raw and I find it always needs a boost)
  • +5 to Clarity (Aesthetic choice)
  • +10 to Vibrance (Aesthetic choice)
  • +10 to Saturation (Aesthetic choice)
  • Turn on lens profile correction (Distortion correction/chrom abb/ etc)
  • +7 Colour Noise correction (This one I recommend for anyone. The lightroom default for this is too high and just craps on the detail)
  • +80 Sharpening amount (This seems to work best for me as a default, but might not for others)
  • +85 Sharpening mask (This seems to work best for me as a default, but might not for others)

I find that I do these things all the time so it was best to automate them on import. It works pretty well with other RAW files too.

There are other things you're going to want to do on a per picture basis, but hopefully this is a good starting point for you.

-- hide signature --

Will
=============================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walgarch

walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
Younes B
Like?
In reply to Plakanina, 9 months ago

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

I've always just let Lightroom do it's thing when I import the DNGs. How do I set the Pentax embedded profile?

Here is how to do it:

1 -  use DNG in the file format in your camera ( it doesn't work with PEF )

2 - take a pic and import to LR

3- go to the calibration tab ( bottom right of your screen ). click on the rolling menu to see all options ( including adobe standard, etc...). Select 'Embedded'. That's the Pentax profile included in your DNG file.

4- go to upper menus and select Develop > New preset. Save under a name of your choice.

5- Still under Develop, select default settings. Select the preset you just created in the box asking for preset to apply on import.

Et voilà!

If you shoot DNG as I do, all your pics imported to LR will have the embedded Pentax color profile applied on import.

Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
Peteo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to walgarch, 9 months ago

walgarch wrote:

I couldn't find any Pentax provided lightroom presets so I just created one. I've got my lightroom preset set to go off on import that does the following:

• +10 to contrast (Since I shoot raw and I find it always needs a boost)
  • +5 to Clarity (Aesthetic choice)
  • +10 to Vibrance (Aesthetic choice)
  • +10 to Saturation (Aesthetic choice)
  • Turn on lens profile correction (Distortion correction/chrom abb/ etc)
  • +7 Colour Noise correction (This one I recommend for anyone. The lightroom default for this is too high and just craps on the detail)
  • +80 Sharpening amount (This seems to work best for me as a default, but might not for others)
  • +85 Sharpening mask (This seems to work best for me as a default, but might not for others)

I find that I do these things all the time so it was best to automate them on import. It works pretty well with other RAW files too.

There are other things you're going to want to do on a per picture basis, but hopefully this is a good starting point for you.

-- hide signature --

Will

Will,

Thanks for this info and these setting.  I've been using LR for years and never even thought of looking to save a preset.  Your's are very close to what I do to most of mine but I do like your settings better so now I saved it under Pentax K5II.  From there the final tweaks go very quick.

Thanks again,

Scott

Peteo's gear list:Peteo's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +8 more
walgarch
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peteo, 9 months ago

No worries Scott. Glad I could help! 

-- hide signature --

Will

walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +7 more
Garretray
Like?

Hey Younes,

I already have my camera set to import as DNG. Are you saying even though Lightroom 5.3 has been updated to include the K-3 do I still need to transfer EXIF data from the pic? Or does Lightroom already do that?

Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR +2 more
Younes B
Like?

Garretray wrote:

Hey Younes,

I already have my camera set to import as DNG. Are you saying even though Lightroom 5.3 has been updated to include the K-3 do I still need to transfer EXIF data from the pic? Or does Lightroom already do that?

Your camera does not import DNGs, it creates them.

What I am saying is that you need to configure LR to apply the embedded color profile in your pic if you want to use the Pentax color profile. Otherwise, LR will apply its own preset ( Standard profile if you never changed it ).

The other suggestion by another poster above in the thread is related to develop settings ( not color profiles, which I understood was your original question ? °

Hope this makes sense

Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 721Gear list
Like?

Younes B wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

Here is how to do it:

1 - use DNG in the file format in your camera ( it doesn't work with PEF )

3- go to the calibration tab ( bottom right of your screen ). click on the rolling menu to see all options ( including adobe standard, etc...). Select 'Embedded'. That's the Pentax profile included in your DNG file.

4- go to upper menus and select Develop > New preset. Save under a name of your choice.

5- Still under Develop, select default settings. Select the preset you just created in the box asking for preset to apply on import.

Et voilà!

If you shoot DNG as I do, all your pics imported to LR will have the embedded Pentax color profile applied on import.

Thanks

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
christopherbarran
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

Here is how to do it:

Et voilà!

Thanks

Sorry to ask a newbie question...

Which colour profile is the "best" to use? I shoot RAW DNG and till I read your post, thousands of my photos have used the Adobe Colour profile. I would assume using the Pentax colour profile is best? More true to life/colour rendering of the camera + lens? Switch colour profiles between Adobe and Embedded I do see subtle changes in the way the images are rendered.

Regards,

Christopher

-- hide signature --
 christopherbarran's gear list:christopherbarran's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
Younes B
Like?
In reply to christopherbarran, 9 months ago

christopherbarran wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

Younes B wrote:

Here is how to do it:

Et voilà!

Thanks

Sorry to ask a newbie question...

Which colour profile is the "best" to use? I shoot RAW DNG and till I read your post, thousands of my photos have used the Adobe Colour profile. I would assume using the Pentax colour profile is best? More true to life/colour rendering of the camera + lens? Switch colour profiles between Adobe and Embedded I do see subtle changes in the way the images are rendered.

Regards,

Christopher

I don't think there is a 'best' ; there are preferences for each of us. Personally, I was drawn to Pentax in the first place for their color 'out of the box' and the ergonomics of their bodies. I prefer to have their own profile as a default to start with.

Now, as you noted already, if I don't like the rendering of a particular pic, the option to select another profile is one click away. But it doesn't happen often....

-- hide signature --
Garretray
Like?

Got it, thanks.........

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads