Sony 18-105G, anyone?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Pelbaya
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Sony 18-105G, anyone?
8 months ago

Has anyome had a chance to test the Sony 18-105G for e-mount?

I have seen some reviews but would like to know about someone who has had a "real" experience with it (ie: someone that isn't a pro photographer).

I personally see this lens as a very good alternative to the pancake lens 16-50pz. Is there really that such of a difference? Also, I saw the potential of having a compromise zoom since I don't own any telephoto lens (not really interested in a long range lens but sometimes miss that extra reach without needing the full length of a 200mm).

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony 18-105G, anyone?
In reply to Pelbaya, 8 months ago

Unlike the 16-50, it's enormous.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pelbaya
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, 8 months ago

Digital Nigel wrote:

Size or quality wise? (Though I expect you to answer "both"... )

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?

Pelbaya wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Size or quality wise? (Though I expect you to answer "both"... )

You were comparing the very compact 16-50 with the huge 18-105, which is almost as big as the 18-200. The 18-105 is a better lens than the 16-50, but they're not in the same category. No long zoom has "enormous" quality.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

I'm OK with the image quality and I do like the range.... it's the power zoom that I know from experience I wouldn't like. I prefer a manual zoom.

How fast does it zoom from wide to tele?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,521
Like?

I really like my 18-105, though as an alternative to the 16-50 it's pretty huge. It's a very versatile lens for my planned portrait sessions, but not something I'd carry around just on the chance I might see something interesting.

It does not handle fine detail as well or have as nice an overall picture feel as the 16-70 but the range works much better for what I do. So it is the lens I most often use in portrait sessions. For those days I'm throwing a camera in the car "just in case" I usually go with something smaller.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

ImagesInstyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 8 months ago

i shot with it everyday with my Sony A7.

Did a fashion show last night.

Had a hard time struggling in low light though.

I started a posting about sony fixing the 43M flash AF Iluminator to to work

with the A7..its very much needed.

Sony A7/18-105 PZ F4 Lens/HVL-43M Flash

ImagesInstyle's gear list:ImagesInstyle's gear list
Sony a6000
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273Gear list
Like?
Sony 18-105G and "Fast Hybrid AF"

Gato Amarillo wrote:

I really like my 18-105, though as an alternative to the 16-50 it's pretty huge. It's a very versatile lens for my planned portrait sessions, but not something I'd carry around just on the chance I might see something interesting.

It does not handle fine detail as well or have as nice an overall picture feel as the 16-70 but the range works much better for what I do. So it is the lens I most often use in portrait sessions. For those days I'm throwing a camera in the car "just in case" I usually go with something smaller.

I came across this Sony link recently and found it strange that the SELP18105G is listed as compatible with the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the ILCE-7 model but not the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the APS-C NEX-5T, NEX-5R, and NEX-6 models.

This distinction may not be noticeable on a NEX-6, but I wonder about the new A6000 with its supposedly much improved AF.  It would be a shame if the A6000 (isn't mentioned in the link) does not follow the ILCE-7 and can't utilize its "Fast Hybrid AF" on all the lenses in both groups.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,521
Like?
Re: Sony 18-105G and "Fast Hybrid AF"
In reply to fotowbert, 8 months ago

fotowbert wrote:I came across this Sony link recently and found it strange that the SELP18105G is listed as compatible with the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the ILCE-7 model but not the "Fast Hybrid AF" of the APS-C NEX-5T, NEX-5R, and NEX-6 models.

This distinction may not be noticeable on a NEX-6, but I wonder about the new A6000 with its supposedly much improved AF. It would be a shame if the A6000 (isn't mentioned in the link) does not follow the ILCE-7 and can't utilize its "Fast Hybrid AF" on all the lenses in both groups.

• John

Several others have wondered about how this lens will work with the A6000. I've seen several forum posts on the issue, but no definitive answers. Maybe we'll hear something soon.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

WarrenPeas
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

I'm hopeful for this lens to work with the A6000, because that is my planned future setup.

WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 626Gear list
Like?
In reply to WarrenPeas, 8 months ago

in this video hes using the a6000 with the 18-105

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwE4G-SSN-M

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Keyboard shortcuts: