Australia travel tips

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
skygon
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Australia travel tips
7 months ago

Hi,

I am going for a trip to Melbourne and Sydney. Will be going to those places where a normal tourist would go: great ocean road, Philips island, habout bridge, etc etc.

would like to ask for tips on:

1. WhAt focal length (35mm equiv) would be you bring? In general.

2. Are the ppl there "photography friendly"? Like those shops owners, ppl sitting in a cafe , guys walking along the roads. I am asking this because in some countries ppl do not like to be taken photo.. Or are intimidated by ppl taking photos like a tourist

since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: Australia travel tips
In reply to skygon, 7 months ago

skygon wrote:

1. WhAt focal length (35mm equiv) would be you bring? In general.

I took the Sony RX1 (fixed 35mm) and got along fine.

2. Are the ppl there "photography friendly"? Like those shops owners, ppl sitting in a cafe , guys walking along the roads. I am asking this because in some countries ppl do not like to be taken photo.. Or are intimidated by ppl taking photos like a tourist

People in Melbourne are incredibly photography friendly. Go to the Central Business District, where people are generally well dressed and happy to chat / pose.

Melbourne CBD.

Also consider a side trip to Tasmania, which is like a microcosm of Australia. There's whiskey, surfing, hiking, and no one's in a hurry.

Winter surfing in Tasmania.

Have fun.

-- hide signature --
 since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vajrasattva
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?

From my experience I have used the SEL1018 and the Sigma 30mm the most in Melbourne and Sydney. The wide angle is surprisingly useful as there is some really interesting architecture (old and modern). And the 30mm is just versatile. In terms taking shots of people - no different to anywhere else, common courtesy applies. Be prepared to stop and eat as everywhere is an eating opportunity! And coffee - you can by it absolutely everywhere.

Places I think are really worth visiting in Melbourne are:

• DeGraves street - food and laneway shots,
  • Hosiery Lane - graffiti art++
  • Block arcade - spectacular old shopping arcade with brilliant tesilated tile floors and its adjacent lane ways
  • Royal arcade - a lesser version of the Block. Stop at Koko black for a hot chocolate
  • The State Library on Swanston Street
  • St Francis's Church and its adorable chapel (my favourite anywhere) on the corner of Elizabeth and LaTrobe Street incidentally just opposite Melbourne's biggest camera shop Michaels. They have continual exhibitions upstairs.
  • Federation Square any time of the day (or night esp on the weekends)
  • Brunswick Street, Acland Street and Chapel Street. These aren't the only ones.
  • Hire a bike and ride along the Yarra River to Docklands.
  • The old nunnery at Abbotsford (tram)
  • The food sections of Victoria Market.
  • Southbank on the Yarra at dusk for city shots

Sydney is a bit more difficult get around as unlike Melbourne everything is not so close. Public transport is not as good and there are no rental city bikes. Places I would consider visiting include:

• walking around the rocks (not just the main tourist strip) and getting quite lost
  • Cockatoo Island on the harbour. Take a sun hat! This is a really interesting place with quite a diverse history. You also get a ferry ride under the harbour bridge.
  • Walk along the coastal walk from Bondi, Bronte and Codgee beaches (which are the less internationally known beaches but the local favourites)
  • Slow ferry to Manly and then the coastal headlands walk
  • catch a train to Brooklyn and then take the postal ferry along the Hawkesbury River if you have the time

Enjoy your trip! One word of advice, is take your time and not try to cram too much into a short space. Places like Phillip Island and the Great Ocean Road really need time rather than a 'day trip' by bus. They are very very long days if you do it that way. Hiring a car is much better and driving is very easy.

Once again, enjoy. Expect to see some the spoils of your trip.

Jane

skygon
Like?
In reply to vajrasattva, 7 months ago

Hey guys, thanks for the infor!!!!

Yeah. I am hiring a car in Melbourne. Will drive around and heard that coffee Is like everywhere!!

Initial I thought a longer focal lens (e.g 200mm) is need since tourist are more likely to see some kangaroos, koala bears, and penguin parade (but also heard that photography is no longer allowed).

I am planning for a "slow" trip

vajrasattva
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021Gear list
Like?

Best place to see kangaroos and koala really are at the zoos. Seriously. There are koalas at Phillip Island but they are nocturnal and sleep in trees up high for 23.5 hours a day.  Roos - I've seen wild ones around Canberra and dead ones on the side of the roads. They can be really dangerous after dusk.  Maybe when your in Melbourne head up to the Healseville Sanctury for your wildlife spotting. The Yarra Valley is also very pleasant. Since you will have a car, its worth going to the Mornington Peninsular. Rye Back Beach is stunning. There are also some nice hot pools at Rye. Portsea Pub is renowned for a lunch stop.

Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
In reply to vajrasattva, 7 months ago

If you have the lenses and the means to carry them you can use anything from 24mm to 200mm quite easily. So something like a RX10 would be ideal other wise a couple of zooms to cover this range.

Australian cities are the least dense in the world in population so even the centers of the cities can be quite spread out and will need some comfortable shoes. But it also pays to have a decent wide angle as well to get a different perspective and there are areas where tele lenses just  won't give you any context. Featureless street scenes could just be anywhere.

This really is where the now classical 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 would all come in handy, although I would expect for the cities themselves the 24-70 will get used the most. Rural areas would most definitely be 70-400 territory but the 70-200 would be very useful but you would need to work harder to get all the coverage you may want.

Chris Sleeman
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?

You may not need long focal lengths too often.

Zoos of course give great views of the animals but there is a fair chance of seeing some in the wild while you are out and about.

I haven't been to the penguin parade at Philip Island for a few years but in those days they walked right past your feet. The problem was light so take a fast lens if you are allowed photographs.

I saw Koalas in the trees beside the road at the Otways lighthouse on the Great Ocean Road when I was there this time last year. Mind you I had never seen them in the wild before that. 50mm on a crop was fine for them.

Kangaroos are hit and miss. They wander about, usually in groups. When they are around they might come very close. I sometimes do a two or three day loop by driving from Melbourne down the Great Ocean Road, then North through the Grampians and East back to Melbourne. Whenever I have stayed in Halls Gap (in the Grampians) Kangaroos flocked to my cabin doors during the night and then moped about on the lawn in the morning. They will come almost right up to you.

Chris Sleeman's gear list:Chris Sleeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-Pro1 +6 more
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,895
Like?
Re:I'd add just one

Vajrasattva's list is excellent. I'd add just one and a couple of "maybes". If you drive down the Great Ocean Rd, go as far as Apollo Bay and ask a local how to get to Paradise. It is only 3-4km from the town centre. Magic place.--

Maybe consider the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb. It's excellent but pricey. You can't take a camera on the climb howwever (danger if it is dropped)

Maybe in Melbourne check the old banking chambers. In the 1880s Melbourne, riding on the gold discoveries, was the most expensive city in the world. Check the banking headquarters that were built at this time in Collins Street, especially the ANZ on the corner of Collins and Queens Street. It used to be the English, Scottish and Australian Bank when built. Those banks were awash with gold and it shows.

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Dovey
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Chris Sleeman, 7 months ago

The best wildlife park is in Ballarat, you will get to hand feed as many kangaroos as you want, as well as petting and feeding the baby (joey) in the pouch!!

You get to hold and pet koalas, wombats emus wander up to you for a pat and a feed. I lived in the area for 16 years before finally seeing this place and it is wonderful.

As well, you get to meet the most poisonous snakes in the world, I could not believe it when I finally got to see the Small Scaled or Fierce Snake. Less than 1% of a bite is enough to kill a man, yet the snake handlers pick up the buggers and play with them.

Phaelix
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

A few tips from a Sydneysider:

• If you want the classic Sydney shot, make your way down to Lady Macquarie's chair- you'll get a beautiful view back across the harbour with the Opera House and Bridge.
  • While you're there, take a wander in the Botanical Gardens, they are not to be missed.
  • Australia has some of the best coffee going- in Sydney, look for places that get beans from Campos or The Little Marionette, or just go direct to either roaster.
  • Sydney is full of Asian emigrants in the best possible way- cheap, delicious ethnic food is everywhere. Look for Vietnamese banh mi ("bun me") almost everywhere, chinese noodle and dumpling joints, little India on Cleveland Street and lots of really good Lebanese/turkish eateries in Surry Hills & Enmore.
  • Don't go to Darling Harbour, it's an overpriced tourist trap.
  • If you have a car and you're keen for some great photo opportunities, take the scenic route south to Woollongong, the Royal National Park is stunning.
 Phaelix's gear list:Phaelix's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +8 more
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
In reply to Phaelix, 7 months ago

Good advice from the last sydneysider; if you like cool inner city hipster places with interesting old buildings walk down King Street Newtown (not to be confused with Kings Street in the CBD)

And +1 for not going to Darling Harbor. It's marketed to tourists but I've no idea why anyone goes there. Ugly, not even a nice bit of harbour, and nothing to see or do. It's like going to Docklands in Melbourne.

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
skygon
Like?
In reply to dbm305, 7 months ago

Wow... Will the kangaroo beat u? >.<|||

Sounds like longer focal lens is not a must
Travel light sounds like the way to go..!

Dohmnuill
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
In reply to Dovey, 7 months ago

Dovey wrote:

As well, you get to meet the most poisonous snakes in the world, I could not believe it when I finally got to see the Small Scaled or Fierce Snake. Less than 1% of a bite is enough to kill a man, yet the snake handlers pick up the buggers and play with them.

I assume Dovey is still referring to the park! Well, at least for the Fierce Snake (aka Inland Taipan)

which is found mainly in the Channel Country of the far outback.

You may be lucky and sight other snakes (Brown, Tiger, Copperhead ) in the wild - all should be considered deadly but they're mostly very timid; don't be tempted to "play" with them, they don't "understand"      Just look where you're walking.

Enough snake talk, sounds like a fantastic trip in store.

Dohmnuill
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
In reply to Dohmnuill, 7 months ago

Dohmnuill wrote:

Enough snake talk, sounds like a fantastic trip in store.

Meant to add, there is a Tiger in "My Gallery".

pgb
pgb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?

Palm Beach, the northern tip of Sydney and the northern beaches on they way are worth seeing.
There's the round ferry trip to The Basin and other stops nearby.

and the Blue Mountains 1 hour west -

Jamison Valley

Jamison Valley

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads