SX50 HS portraits

Started 5 months ago | Photos
Paul S Wheeler
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
SX50 HS portraits
5 months ago

Having used the SX50 mainly outdoors, during this winter I decided to practise portraiture in my living room, thanks to grandaughters Jamie-Lee & Kodie. Cheap white backdrop, 2 flash setup camera left and right, post processed in Lightroom 5

Paul S Wheeler's gear list:Paul S Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 HS portraits
In reply to Paul S Wheeler, 5 months ago

Those are very nice portraits with really lovely skin tones.  Well done!

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?

That's an excellent series, showing once more that in skilled hands SX50 could provide fine images even in other conditions than its intended target, i.e. daylight super zoom !

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

P.S. I'm just curious how much better these would be with a larger sensor camera?!

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,469Gear list
Like?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on some very beautiful portraits of your granddaughters. As a photographer who from time to time also uses my SX50 for studio portraiture, I can appreciate your work.

What I like about the SX50 is that when using my full frame Canon dSLR, I can easily transfer the ST-E2 slave between cameras and use the same lighting set-up (2x 580 and 1x 430, with or without softboxes). I find the SX50 to give very pleasing results, both in skin tones and skin texture, at the 14mm to 18mm focal length (85mm to 100mm full frame) for "formal" portraiture.

I'm interested in your set-up. What lights did you use and how did you fire them?

Again, nice work.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
KJaay
Senior MemberPosts: 3,170Gear list
Like?

Excellent work Paul.

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Canon EOS 450D
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,356Gear list
Like?

Nice work Paul, your portraits picture are beautiful and so are your granddaughters. Love to see more of your work.

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?

Paul,

Nicely done!  I really like your high-key and fun shots of the two girls.  Their poses are so cute (future models?).  But my FAV is photo #3.  It is so soft, dreamy and captures the essence of childhood. -- lovely work -- thanks for sharing.

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Paul S Wheeler
Like?
In reply to MurryG, 5 months ago

MurryG wrote:

Paul,

Nicely done! I really like your high-key and fun shots of the two girls. Their poses are so cute (future models?). But my FAV is photo #3. It is so soft, dreamy and captures the essence of childhood. -- lovely work -- thanks for sharing.

Murry

-- hide signature --

Thank you for all the feedback so far, #3 was a candid moment when Kodie sprawled out on the backdrop sheet to watch cartoons on the TV behind/left of camera

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Paul S Wheeler
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, 5 months ago

VisionLight wrote:

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on some very beautiful portraits of your granddaughters. As a photographer who from time to time also uses my SX50 for studio portraiture, I can appreciate your work.

What I like about the SX50 is that when using my full frame Canon dSLR, I can easily transfer the ST-E2 slave between cameras and use the same lighting set-up (2x 580 and 1x 430, with or without softboxes). I find the SX50 to give very pleasing results, both in skin tones and skin texture, at the 14mm to 18mm focal length (85mm to 100mm full frame) for "formal" portraiture.

I'm interested in your set-up. What lights did you use and how did you fire them?

Again, nice work.

Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for your feedback.

The shots were taken with a Neewer tt560 on the left slightly in front and aimed at the backdrop, and a Yonguo 565ex with a diy dome diffuser front and right also aimed at the backdrop. Both were manually set at about 1/4 power and fired optically from the on-camera flash set at minimum to try and avoid too much front fill. Some grey areas and wrinkles were brushed out in lightroom, and some cleanup work on Kodies socks, dirty from running around the house and garden! Processing topped of with NR/Sharpening and some eye clarity.

My first real attempt at high key portraiture, and a few lessons learned in the process

Paul

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,469Gear list
Like?

Paul S Wheeler wrote:

VisionLight wrote:

What I like about the SX50 is that when using my full frame Canon dSLR, I can easily transfer the ST-E2 slave between cameras and use the same lighting set-up (2x 580 and 1x 430, with or without softboxes). I find the SX50 to give very pleasing results, both in skin tones and skin texture, at the 14mm to 18mm focal length (85mm to 100mm full frame) for "formal" portraiture.

Again, nice work.

Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for your feedback.

The shots were taken with a Neewer tt560 on the left slightly in front and aimed at the backdrop, and a Yonguo 565ex with a diy dome diffuser front and right also aimed at the backdrop. Both were manually set at about 1/4 power and fired optically from the on-camera flash set at minimum to try and avoid too much front fill. Some grey areas and wrinkles were brushed out in lightroom, and some cleanup work on Kodies socks, dirty from running around the house and garden! Processing topped of with NR/Sharpening and some eye clarity.

My first real attempt at high key portraiture, and a few lessons learned in the process

Paul

Thanks for that Paul. I was pretty sure I saw a third point light and you've confirmed it was the on-board flash. You controlled it very well. By the way, I think Newer makes a 8" or so mini foldable soft-box for your flash for about $8-$10. It might be worth a look see.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, 5 months ago

Holy Moly, those are great!  Beautiful young ladies too   Is there anything this camera can't do in the right hands?

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads