Contributing MemberPosts: 999Gear list
Like?
NEX 5N still relevant
6 months ago

5N with Sigma 30/2.8. Nature in Ontario is still hibernating

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
ttan98
Contributing MemberPosts: 997
Like?
Re: I still love my NEX 5N but...
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, 6 months ago

I cannot find a high quality zoom lens at reasonable price that goes with. The Zeiss 16-70mm is good quality(3 1/2 - 4 stars *)  but the price is too high. I am still using my kit lens(3 stars *).

I am still keeping my 5n. I use it mainly indoors with the Sigma 30mm, truly nice images.

* my ratings.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,225Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX 5N still relevant

Look how clear, sharp and detailed this is, its still relevant Joachim Had the NEX-7 for a good 2 1/2 years now and it should still be shooting in another two years. Even then it will still take the same IQ it takes now, if I don't manage to kill it in the meantime

Beautiful trees with so much going on with all the branches. Nice contrast and stands out well off the sky.

All the best Joachim, beautiful scene.

Danny.

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,955
Like?

Don't fret, it's still got it.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, 6 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

Look how clear, sharp and detailed this is, its still relevant Joachim Had the NEX-7 for a good 2 1/2 years now and it should still be shooting in another two years. Even then it will still take the same IQ it takes now, if I don't manage to kill it in the meantime

Beautiful trees with so much going on with all the branches. Nice contrast and stands out well off the sky.

All the best Joachim, beautiful scene.

Danny.

Thank you for your comment Danny

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,441Gear list
Like?

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Beautiful Joachim! Where is this?

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to José B, 6 months ago

José B wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Cheers,

José

Thanks José. This is on the east side of Milton on James Snow Parkway north of Britannia. I think the shot would be better with a more setting sun.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,441Gear list
Like?

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

José B wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Cheers,

José

Thanks José. This is on the east side of Milton on James Snow Parkway north of Britannia. I think the shot would be better with a more setting sun.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, I should take a drive down there, it looks beautiful! Yes, the setting sun will be great but it's just to cold at this time of the year to take pictures there at the golden hour.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to José B, 6 months ago

José B wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

José B wrote:

Joachim Wulfers wrote:

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Cheers,

José

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, I should take a drive down there, it looks beautiful! Yes, the setting sun will be great but it's just to cold at this time of the year to take pictures there at the golden hour.

But I guess that sometimes you have to pay the price. It was only a balmy -8 C today.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

golfpan
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

I will never stop loving the 5n.  It was my first mirrorless camera, and it's what made me fall in love with Sony mirrorless.  Absolutely groundbreaking camera.  I've moved on to a NEX-6, and I'm about to get an a6000, but the 5n will always have a place in my heart.

For that matter, so will the C3 and the 7.  Never owned them, but did have the good fortune of using them, and they both struck me with their excellent designs.

I'm really looking forward to the a6000, since I think technically it represents a major milestone in mirrorless, but in terms of design, I'd be lying if I said I was impressed by the latest "alpha" E-mount series of a3000, a5000, and even a6000 (I mean external, physical design).

I'm also a bit nervous about where the 5n/5r/5t successor fits into the new numbering scheme.  It would be a shame if they abandoned the super-slim body type.

Yeah, and I'm bitter about the name change too.

Anyway, back to your original point.  The 5n is a great camera.

golfpan's gear list:golfpan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +12 more
Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to golfpan, 6 months ago

golfpan wrote:

I will never stop loving the 5n. It was my first mirrorless camera, and it's what made me fall in love with Sony mirrorless. Absolutely groundbreaking camera. I've moved on to a NEX-6, and I'm about to get an a6000, but the 5n will always have a place in my heart.

For that matter, so will the C3 and the 7. Never owned them, but did have the good fortune of using them, and they both struck me with their excellent designs.

I'm really looking forward to the a6000, since I think technically it represents a major milestone in mirrorless, but in terms of design, I'd be lying if I said I was impressed by the latest "alpha" E-mount series of a3000, a5000, and even a6000 (I mean external, physical design).

I'm also a bit nervous about where the 5n/5r/5t successor fits into the new numbering scheme. It would be a shame if they abandoned the super-slim body type.

Yeah, and I'm bitter about the name change too.

Anyway, back to your original point. The 5n is a great camera.

I have decided to get the a6000. I have had the NEX 5N for 2.5 years and have enjoyed it very much. My only problem (self inflicted) has been that I often don't know which lens to put on it. The problem of lens over-load.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Sphinx_man
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?

Nice shot! Same situation here! After 2.5 years of NEX-5N awesomeness I decided to move up to A6000. 5N still very much relevant and capable of capturing shots in amazing detail and color! Don't know what to do with the camera + the excellent EVF. What do plan to do with your 5N?

Cheers

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323
Like?

Joachim, that is a beautiful picture you have there. It shows that it is not the camera but the person behind the camera that makes the picture. And for me Every camera that is still in use is a relevant camera (I own and use a A700 and a Nex 5, both great relevant cameras (for me that is). At the end of the year I think I will move on to the A6000, mainly for having an EVF and the WIFI.

JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?

Sony 5N will remain relevant even though the 4K monitor era. That should mean 10 years at least.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,419
Like?
In reply to JurijTurnsek, 6 months ago

5n is still relevant, alternated it with the a7 in san francisco. But there are some things that get on my nerves - apart from the fact that the airline just lost my luggage - the WB is always too cool, the error message when my nose touches the touch screen shortly before it is deactivated, the rear wheel accidentally changing exposure, movie recording and the SLOW unreliable AF in low light. Re the tree picture, in my view the composition would have been better without cutting the top, maybe by stitching

-
Nex-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cwood
Contributing MemberPosts: 624
Like?
In reply to cxsparc, 6 months ago

Terrific shot! Just lovely.  Really like the textures and tones and the other trees receding to the right.

I was out that way on the way to London yesterday...there are some great looking farmsteads and barns that I wished I could stop for. The sun and snow was so nice but I don't think stopping on the 401 would have been good.

Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to Sphinx_man, 6 months ago

Sphinx_man wrote:

Nice shot! Same situation here! After 2.5 years of NEX-5N awesomeness I decided to move up to A6000. 5N still very much relevant and capable of capturing shots in amazing detail and color! Don't know what to do with the camera + the excellent EVF. What do plan to do with your 5N?

Cheers

Thanks for your appreciation. I will keep my NEX 5N after the purchase of an A6000. I don't know if it will be used much, but a spare body is always good to have. If not I pass it on to my children/grand children

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 6 months ago

nevercat wrote:

Joachim, that is a beautiful picture you have there. It shows that it is not the camera but the person behind the camera that makes the picture. And for me Every camera that is still in use is a relevant camera (I own and use a A700 and a Nex 5, both great relevant cameras (for me that is). At the end of the year I think I will move on to the A6000, mainly for having an EVF and the WIFI.

Thank you for your kind words. The external EVF for my NEX 5N is excellent but it gets in the way when trying to pocket the camera. So the A6000 with its EVF incorporated in the body will be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to cxsparc, 6 months ago

cxsparc wrote:

5n is still relevant, alternated it with the a7 in san francisco. But there are some things that get on my nerves - apart from the fact that the airline just lost my luggage - the WB is always too cool, the error message when my nose touches the touch screen shortly before it is deactivated, the rear wheel accidentally changing exposure, movie recording and the SLOW unreliable AF in low light. Re the tree picture, in my view the composition would have been better without cutting the top, maybe by stitching

-
Nex-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

Thank you for your comment on the tree picture. Getting the entire tree into the picture under the existing circumstances would have meant getting further way from the scene. I would have preferred being even closer to the trees but it would have required a wider (maybe my Skopar 21/4) lens. I agree that stitching a number of vertical shots would have increased the dramatic effect. But... how much additional time do you want to spend at -12C when your fingers are already freezing?:-P

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers
Like?
In reply to cwood, 6 months ago

cwood wrote:

Terrific shot! Just lovely. Really like the textures and tones and the other trees receding to the right.

I was out that way on the way to London yesterday...there are some great looking farmsteads and barns that I wished I could stop for. The sun and snow was so nice but I don't think stopping on the 401 would have been good.

Thank you for appreciating the image. Next time you come this way, take your time and get off 401. There are so many great things to see in the Milton area around the Niagara Escarpment.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads