OMD EM-1: Configuration suggestions

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Steve Rothman
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
OMD EM-1: Configuration suggestions
6 months ago

Thanks in part to information from this group, I'll be picking up tha OMD EM-1 tomorrow with initial lenes, Oly 17 and 45 primes. The next day, I'll be shooting pictures of my first grandchild - a boy - born in all probability this Monday. My question: one of the niece things about the camera is its degree of customization. Of course, I know this is subjective and it will work fine out of the box. But I'd be interested in knowing if anyone as developed a list of suggestions for setting it up. I've seen one on Youtube and a google search finds another. However, I'd like to identify several for consideration while I'm learning the camera and deciding for myself what fits best. I'm guessing there may be folks here that have developed lists of their own.

Any suggestions?

Steve, near Seattle

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD EM-1: Configuration suggestions
In reply to Steve Rothman, 6 months ago

I only shoot 4/3 rd lenses but here is my config….Lever1 (front wheel exposure back wheel Aperture) Lever 2 (Manuel focus only), fn2 magnified focus, fn1 Iso, AELAFL bottom is set for Peaking, Front two buttons on right of lens.. bottom button that is easy to feel is WB, other bottom is one touch WB which I don't use much…S-IS 1….face detection if on is set to iR …..also You might also want on the wrench set-- Rec View to OFF because it is much smoother when taking Sequential shoots……I shoot mostly in A priority and after you have shoot thousands of pictures the fingers go to the right places (like a typewriter) Hope this helps….John

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 732Gear list
Like?

I shoot in "A", I have the flip switch in up position controlling F-stop (back) and exposure (front). Switch down, WB (back) and ISO (front). Then there are the other programmable buttons: Fn1 under thumb HDR, Fn2 AF Area Select, front buttons, top, Digital Teleconverter, bottom, Multi-Function (color wheel), on lens, MF. I'm in my second month and still haven't really used but the Fn 1 and Fn2 buttons. Because you need to know your way around fast, I'd go auto, or aperture with all the focus points activated. Telling you up front, it's pretty daunting to learn the camera that quick. But it's amazing!!!

-- hide signature --
 rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
ScottyA
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to rickreyn, 6 months ago

Don't be afraid of iAuto.  It's pretty awesome, with the exception of (to my taste) goosing the ISO too fast.  But you can get some great shots with it.

ScottyA's gear list:ScottyA's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1
brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?
SCP

If you shoot manual, shutter, or aperture priority at all then switch the Super Control Panel (SCP). It will save lots of time without having to learn all the buttons this quick. programming the buttons can come later, but the SCP is very important (to me anyway).

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?

Steve Rothman wrote:

Thanks in part to information from this group, I'll be picking up tha OMD EM-1 tomorrow with initial lenes, Oly 17 and 45 primes. The next day, I'll be shooting pictures of my first grandchild - a boy - born in all probability this Monday. My question: one of the niece things about the camera is its degree of customization. Of course, I know this is subjective and it will work fine out of the box. But I'd be interested in knowing if anyone as developed a list of suggestions for setting it up. I've seen one on Youtube and a google search finds another. However, I'd like to identify several for consideration while I'm learning the camera and deciding for myself what fits best. I'm guessing there may be folks here that have developed lists of their own.

Any suggestions?

Steve, near Seattle

One of my suggestions --- A really great feature (that some feel should actually be a defult setting) is the Live SCP. It's so helpful. Take the time to set this feature even if you don't set any other custom function for your E-M1. The Live SCP allows you to bring up a screen that gives you immediate access to all of the most important settings. Here's how to set it: tap the menu button, scroll down to the "gears" custom menu board, scroll to "D" Display, scroll to control settings, click on P/S/A/M, click on Live SCP (make sure Live control is unchecked). After you have set this, the SCP can be accessed by hitting the "OK" button. Changing your settings like WB, ISO and focus point is now a breeze.

Enjoy your photo sessions with your new grand child. I expect to do that for my first time with two new grandchildren that are due in 4 and again 6 months with my two son's families. Also enjoy your new E-M1. Mine arrived 10 days ago.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Bluephotons
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to drcPhoto, 6 months ago

I don't know if you are going to have enough time, but this guy is back and he is a legend when it comes to Oly gear http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1-look.html

-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Garry Schaefer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,905Gear list
Like?

Here is an excellent resource:

http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Touch-to-focus/release

For me, no single feature of the OM-D series (apart from the IBIS) is as useful as the touch-to-focus/release when shooting family or small squirmy beasts. By touching the button on the LCD you can cycle through no touch functionality, touch-to-focus and touch-to-focus/release. It's great. I generally use touch-to-focus for quickly selecting an AF point but, if I'm shooting my daughter and I need a quick release, I use touch-to-focus-release. So perfect...flip screen down, hold camera in front of desired subject, touch desired point of focus, camera focuses and takes photo a surprisingly short time after.

I have also made it so that the Lever 2 position is C-AF with AF on the AEL/AFL button instead of the shutter release. This is good for moving objects.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads