What might a G1X II offer that an EOS M w/ Pancake Zoom might not?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Solar Eagle
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
What might a G1X II offer that an EOS M w/ Pancake Zoom might not?
6 months ago

That is, supposing that an EOS M pancake zoom eventually comes along?

I haven't really used my G1X since getting an EOS M, due to its smaller size, better optics, larger sensor for 3:2 shooting, and my preference for EOS over Powershot jpeg processing.

The 5cm macro is perhaps the most enticing thing about the G1X II, as I'm guessing an EOS M pancake zoom wouldn't be able to achieve that. The flip screen is another selling point. I would guess lens sharpness would be about the same, and the G1X II would likely pack a wider zoom range. Camera size, sensor size, and jpeg processing would still be to the advantage of the EOS M.

Maybe the better question is, why sit around waiting on the possibility of an EOS pancake zoom when I can have a G1X II in a couple months? lol

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?
Re: What might a G1X II offer that an EOS M w/ Pancake Zoom might not?
In reply to Solar Eagle, 6 months ago

EOS M is nono for me as long as there is no 24mm equiv pancake zoom.

The G1X mk2 has some advantages over the EOS:

- silent shutter

- flip screen

- built in flash

- macro

- more external controls

as for picture quality, time will tell...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,038Gear list
Like?

Solar Eagle wrote:

I haven't really used my G1X since getting an EOS M, due to its smaller size, better optics, larger sensor for 3:2 shooting, and my preference for EOS over Powershot jpeg processing.

The 5cm macro is perhaps the most enticing thing about the G1X II, as I'm guessing an EOS M pancake zoom wouldn't be able to achieve that. The flip screen is another selling point. I would guess lens sharpness would be about the same, and the G1X II would likely pack a wider zoom range. Camera size, sensor size, and jpeg processing would still be to the advantage of the EOS M.

Maybe the better question is, why sit around waiting on the possibility of an EOS pancake zoom when I can have a G1X II in a couple months? lol

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

You won't see a pancake zoom from Canon for the EOS-M. Not much point with the existing lenses available for it. But a 50mm Prime is on the cards. Personally I'd like to see a decent EF-M Macro lens for this camera.

So idea what you mean by "my preference for EOS over Powershot jpeg processing."
EOS DEFINITION: "Canon EOS (Electro-Optical System) is an autofocus single-lens reflex camera (SLR) camera series produced by Canon Inc. Introduced in 1987"

Here's my suggestion to Canon:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,972Gear list
Like?

Solar Eagle wrote:

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

None of the pancake zooms on any of the other formats are great, they're sacrificing size for image quality, I very much doubt the mk2 will be doing that if the mk1 is anything to go by. So in a nutshell, range and image quality will be the pluses of the mk2 against anything with a kit powerzoom.

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
B1ackhat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,794Gear list
Like?

Solar Eagle wrote:

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

I suppose that depends on your needs.  For me, the painstakingly slow AF on the the EOS M makes it a non-contender.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

Hachu21
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to B1ackhat, 6 months ago

- a non artificially-limited software features set

- a better manual or semi-manual shooting expérience thanks to more external controls

- an optional view finder

- a 24mm f/2

- a 120mm f/4

Hachu21's gear list:Hachu21's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 913Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Nero, 6 months ago

Marco Nero wrote:

Solar Eagle wrote:

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

You won't see a pancake zoom from Canon for the EOS-M. Not much point with the existing lenses available for it. But a 50mm Prime is on the cards. Personally I'd like to see a decent EF-M Macro lens for this camera.

So idea what you mean by "my preference for EOS over Powershot jpeg processing."
EOS DEFINITION: "Canon EOS (Electro-Optical System) is an autofocus single-lens reflex camera (SLR) camera series produced by Canon Inc. Introduced in 1987"

Here's my suggestion to Canon:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

FIFY

Mark III, of course.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, 6 months ago

papillon_65 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Solar Eagle | Wizard

None of the pancake zooms on any of the other formats are great, they're sacrificing size for image quality, I very much doubt the mk2 will be doing that if the mk1 is anything to go by. So in a nutshell, range and image quality will be the pluses of the mk2 against anything with a kit powerzoom.

Yes, pancake zooms usually have lower image quality (not always, e.g. the GM1 kit zoom seems to be pretty good), slow aperture and compromised ergonomics (only electronic controls). There was a rumor recently about coming pancake zooms for EOS-M, so who knows ...

The most important difference IMHO is that there is NO lens available on EOS-M with the 24-120mm equiv. zoom reach and bright aperture of the G1X2 zoom, and I don't think there will ever be such a lens. People who need such a lens have no alternative on EOS-M (or APS-C DSLR platform), the only similar option is the rumored Nikon P8000.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,594Gear list
Like?

Looks like the perfect Canon EOS M3 design.  Grip, articulating LCD, pancake zoom.  Hope the EOS M3 is basically this design.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,594Gear list
Like?

How did you work out this photo?  It is the perfect EOS M 3 design.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to 4thnebula, 6 months ago

perfect if you like the articulating screen in the way of your left hand using both control dials.

Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 6 months ago

No-one says you have to swivel out the screen all the time.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads