A few BOPIF shots

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,288Gear list
Like?
A few BOPIF shots
4 months ago

I had my first trip of the year to my favourite Hawk Conservancy Trust a few days ago, a very interesting day light-wise going from fog, though mist to bright sun then back to a high level glare as the mist started coming back in

Mainly using my EM-1 + 75-300 mk2 with ISO400, single point minimum size focus, SAF with 6fps, all hand-held

I was a bit rusty as its been a few months since I last shot Birds of Prey in Flight (BOPIF ) but soon got my eye in again

I have a gallery of the better shots here http://www.imagesfromnature.co.uk/gallery/hawk-conservancy-tust-13-3-2014-20970 and here are a few of my favourites from the day

Thanks to Chris R for your company

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
vronv
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Re: A few BOPIF shots
In reply to Brian Wadie, 4 months ago

Impressive.

Ron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joeletx
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?

Great stuffs! Eagle shots are outstanding.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +5 more
Digital Dick
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
In reply to joeletx, 4 months ago

Excellent

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,998
Like?

Super--what a great resource!

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,392
Like?

Really enjoyed these Brian, great composition on the last one as well...love it! Very well done...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,176
Like?

number one is great, must view at expanded size to really appreciate

Number 4 is a fantastic achievement, I've tried many times

-- hide signature --
Brian Wadie
Like?
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, 4 months ago

Thanks Trevor, since I have been using the EM-1 + 75-300 I have found that I can consistently track and capture the falcons (Lanner and Peregrine) hitting the lure, something I was never able to do with my canon system (more images of this in my galleries in my website)

I do find the Olympus system quite magical for the type of work I do

-- hide signature --

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Trott
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?

Would you be able to get shot like this with an E-M10? If not why not? Would the focus be just as quick?

Trott's gear list:Trott's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Brian Wadie
Like?
In reply to Trott, 4 months ago

Trott wrote:

Would you be able to get shot like this with an E-M10? If not why not? Would the focus be just as quick?

I don't know has to be the answer as I haven't tried one

BUT

assuming the focus system is similar to that of the EM-5 I would say, possibly but with difficulty as that was my experience using the EM-5 and why I got the EM-1 in addition to it

-- hide signature --

bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?

Great photos.  The Hawk Conservancy looks like a wonderful organization.  Have you settled on SAF for this type of photography with the E-M1, or do you still use CAF at times?

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Brian Wadie
Like?
In reply to bgalb, 4 months ago

bgalb wrote:

Great photos. The Hawk Conservancy looks like a wonderful organization. Have you settled on SAF for this type of photography with the E-M1, or do you still use CAF at times?

it is a great set up

For most of the time I now stick to SAF and do the tracking myself by continuously following the bird, keeping focus by repeatedly half-closing the shutter button, then a short, typically 3 burst, catches the action I'm after

the difficult bit is learning to keep the small focus point where I want it as I track the subject, particularly with the Falcons! 

-- hide signature --

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,408
Like?

Awesome shots Brian. I think I want one of those hawk conservatories.

stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?

What an outstanding set of pics!!!

I love all of them.

I see you have also the E-M5. Do you think there is a clear difference between the two cameras in focusing a moving object?

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Brian Wadie
Like?
In reply to stefano888, 4 months ago

stefano888 wrote:

What an outstanding set of pics!!!

I love all of them.

I see you have also the E-M5. Do you think there is a clear difference between the two cameras in focusing a moving object?

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

Thanks Stefano, during this session I was using both the EM-5 with the oly 40-15 and the EM-5 with the 75-300 and I'm not sure there is a great difference in the focusing speed when using SAF (from the Olympus literature there shouldn't be)

Where there is a difference in my experience is in more subtle things that make a big difference to my keeper rate:

- the viewfinder is a lot clearer so I find it easier to lock on to and track the subject

- the higher frame rate when sequential shooting means I can get more shots in focus when shooting a short burst

- before the latest firmware for the EM-5 the smaller focus point was important and helped but the EM-5 now has that and it did make a difference to my experience with the EM-5 (it was the first time I had used it for BIF since upgrading)

- despite what I said above, I get the impression that the EM-1 locks onto the subject quicker and holds it more firmly, but this is probably a subjective feeling rather than hard fact

- there are subtle but better ergonomics with the EM-1 which I find make it easier to use for this purpose

Subjective thoughts but I hope of some interest

-- hide signature --

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?

Enjoyed looking at these shots.  Impressive skill with good equipment!

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads