Old olympus 17/f1.8. New 25/f1.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Mouldering
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Old olympus 17/f1.8. New 25/f1.8
6 months ago

I have 17/f1.8

Is there any reason to exchange it to 25/f1.8 without loss of money?

I'm worried that 25 is not wide already

Wesley Byrne
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?
Re: Old olympus 17/f1.8. New 25/f1.8
In reply to Mouldering, 6 months ago

I've got both. The answer, of course, is that it depends. Both lenses are good, but differ in focal length. In my opinion you should only trade the 17 for the 25 if you prefer the 50mm equivalent view. Or if you want a bayonet-style lens hood.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
imrryr38
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?

it's a matter of taste....

I personally don't love 35mm too much.......

so, I go for 50!

trinity lens for my own taste: 12/25/45..... and nothing else matter

imrryr38's gear list:imrryr38's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 Nik Silver Efex Pro Nik Snapseed
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?

Mouldering wrote:

I have 17/f1.8

You'll become accustomed to the 50mm field of view (the 25/1.8) and is better than 35 (the 17/1.8) for close up shots. You do not have to get as close as you must with a 35 to focus in on subjects (e.g. faces) and there is no distortion. The 50 has been the standard: good for general use from landscape to close range shooting.

The 35mm field of view (the 17mm lens) became popular because it has the advantage of being fairly close to normal and being (slightly) wide angle: good for capturing more of a street scene and a broader landscape . . . and almost wide enough to do architecture shots (but not really). It also has a increased depth of field--easier to focus manually.

Why not buy the 25/1.8 and try it out on a 14 day return arrangement? You're going to love it . . . Keep your 17 too . . . at least for a while; you might find specific uses for it or decide in the end that you prefer 35mm field of view. There is no way to predict how you will react without trying. If it turns out you really prefer the 25, sell the 17 and acquire a proper wide angle lens--either the Olympus 12mm or the Panasonic 14mm. That would be a nice two-lens kit.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Ido S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
If you like 17mm, keep it

If you like the 17mm focal length, keep it. I personally prefer 25mm, which is why I got the Olympus 25mm f1.8 as my first prime lens a couple of days ago.

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Mouldering
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to traveler_101, 6 months ago

Honestly to say i already have both of them. Now I got 1 day to make a choice what I want to have.
Yesterday I was walking around and taking photos. With 25mm i can do few steps backwards and i make photo with same perspective what i can have with 17mm.

I can not decide what to keep. I'm newbie with prime lens and a both love it.
With 300% crop i see 25mm is better in micro contrast.

Ido S
Like?

Honestly to say i already have both of them. Now I got 1 day to make a choice what I want to have.
Yesterday I was walking around and taking photos. With 25mm i can do few steps backwards and i make photo with same perspective what i can have with 17mm.

Don't look at photos like that. When do you really get to look at an image at 300% in real viewing distances? It should matter even less if you view images on-screen or print small.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
Bassam Guy
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Ido S, 6 months ago

Ido S wrote:

Don't look at photos like that. When do you really get to look at an image at 300% in real viewing distances? It should matter even less if you view images on-screen or print small.

When, you ask rhetorically? When one crops. The sharper & more contrasty the lens the more you can crop and the less your need for heavy & expensive teles.

alanjp
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?

ive got the 17mm, but not the 25mm (yet). Only observation I'd make from previous experience with a 50mm equivalent is that it wasnt great indoors where it wasn't easy to 'take a few steps back' all the time. I used to use the Panasonic 14mm and was happy with the focal length for indoors, just prefer the extra bit of speed (both aperture and focus).

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,104Gear list
Like?

Mouldering wrote:

I have 17/f1.8

Only reason to exchange is if you have to live life one lens at a time.

Save your money a little longer and own both.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Ido S
Like?
In reply to Bassam Guy, 6 months ago

I personally do my best to get the composition exactly as I want it in camera, and only crop when I have to. This can instantly improve image quality.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,836Gear list
Like?
In reply to baxters, 6 months ago

baxters wrote:

Mouldering wrote:

I have 17/f1.8

Only reason to exchange is if you have to live life one lens at a time.

Save your money a little longer and own both.

Totally agree..I've been doing it now for about 60 years and it's quite remarkable, the quality of the better lenses now. In old film days I had to live with just one lens,..but it taught me a lot on how to compose a good pic..and THAT is more than half the secret.  I started with M4/3 about 4 or 5 years ago now and my first lens was the 20mm Pancake..absolutely super I thought..then around 12 months later I had chance of a very good price 14mm Pancake - as SOON as I put it on-camera I was sold on that. It's so much quieter than the 20mm and mostly of course it's just a faster operating lens..faster focus than the 20mm and I used that 14mm continuously for another two years or more. Only recently bought the Oly 17mm f1.8 .. but that is a cracker again...lovely lens to use.. and although it's not that much difference in FL to the 14mm I'd had on regularly..I was surprised that I just had to get used to moving just a little bit differently with the 17mm than with the 14mm to get the pic I had in mind.
But it IS quite correct that if you generally prefer this sort of FL range in lenses.. you really do need to have available at least maybe a couple of them..no one lens is always going to suit some occasions .. and anyway it's enjoyable to have a couple or so lenses that you CAN make use of when it happens to be a better choice for one or other - I suspect in your case maybe the 25mm (for old style 50mm shots..ALWAYS regarded as the most suited) .. or what I'd think of as maybe either the Pannie 14mm (I love this one) or the Oly 17mm.. both very good indeed ..and certainly different enough alongside the 25mm.  At a pinch..you CAN do longer distances with a 17mm...you just can't very well do SHORT distances (small spaces) with a 25mm  !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads