Canon g1 x mark 2 review

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
tolleknolle
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
Re: Canon g1 x mark 2 review
In reply to hawat, 7 months ago

The more I look at it the less I like it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hawat
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
biccamera.com review

Biccamera has posted a short review of the camera.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/bicphotostyle/canon/g1xm2/index.jsp

hawat's gear list:hawat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 350D
Sandeman684
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
Re: Here's the link to to G1X Mark II manual in English:
In reply to VisionLight, 7 months ago

It seems that TTL-flash control is available in M mode (table on p223 of manual). This is good news for many underwater photographers that want to use external TTL strobes.

Sandeman684's gear list:Sandeman684's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G1 X II
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,766Gear list
Like?
Google Translate works pretty well for me
In reply to Jote, 7 months ago

While the translations are never perfect, and are sometimes clumsy, you still can understand the results.

I suggest everyone who is confounded by foreign language websites give Google Translate a try.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
requa
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Samples seem to show more than just image softness...
In reply to requa, 7 months ago

Looking through the ENglish version of the manual linked above, I have run across a couple of reassuring items pertaining to macro and background defocus.

1. Background Defocus (p.65) includes the ability to adjust the effect level by turning the lens ring.
  2. Macro (p. 87) does not mention any automatic application of the background defocus when in macro mode. I'd still like to see confirmation of that, because I'd prefer to be in control of whether this effect is being applied or I can rely on the actual physical properties of the lens to achieve the desired effect, including bokeh.
  3. The word "bokeh" apparently does not appear in the manual.

I still suspect that the early photo samples we've been seeing represent attempts to explore the new features, including background defocus, and may be applying those features with a heavy hand. The manual itself is giving me hope, though.

Dan

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot S100
Lucien
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Flickr images
In reply to requa, 7 months ago

Here's a set of images on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weiver/sets/72157642159937003

Remember that it's at least 1 stop faster now with wider zoom range. That's really the main change (not expecting huge changes in PQ).

I noticed Canon removed stitch assist. Not sure why they often remove stuff instead of adding lot more modes but workaround would be to use manual mode.

rccasgar
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
In reply to flypaul, 7 months ago

me too, but I must confess still doubting between mk2 and sony rx10.

rccasgar
Like?
Re: Canon g1 x mark 2 review - Don't you know this is English speaking web site?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 7 months ago

coody wrote: Don't you know this is English speaking web site?

The manual in Japanese is more helpful than your post.

+1

dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
Re: Here's the link to to G1X Mark II manual in English:
In reply to Sandeman684, 7 months ago

Sandeman684 wrote:

It seems that TTL-flash control is available in M mode (table on p223 of manual). This is good news for many underwater photographers that want to use external TTL strobes.

I hope you are right, but page 104 of the manual indicates, to me at least (I hope I'm wrong), that there are only three flash levels in the M mode, just like my S100. That would be a real bummer if true...

hawat
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
4 pages detailed review at monox.jp
In reply to Marty4650, 7 months ago

Monox.jp has published a more detailed 4 pages review than what I have seen so far.

http://www.monox.jp/digitalcamera-sp-canon-powershotg1xmk2-04.html

hawat's gear list:hawat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 350D
rccasgar
Like?

thanx!

J_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
Re: 4 pages detailed review at monox.jp

Thanks!

Ouch, that 12.5mm域(35mmサイズ換算24mm) F2.0 doesn't look good. It seems you have to go to at least F2.8 to get details.

Jan

Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, 7 months ago

J_dpr wrote:

Thanks!

Ouch, that 12.5mm域(35mmサイズ換算24mm) F2.0 doesn't look good. It seems you have to go to at least F2.8 to get details.

Jan

If you are talking about this image, you are correct, not acceptable.

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f020.jpg

The bad news, the G1X2 lens is not worth using at 24mm f2.0, VERY soft.

The good new, it gets much better by 24mm f4.0, except for the corners 

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f040.jpg

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to Grobb, 7 months ago

tron555 wrote:

J_dpr wrote:

Thanks!

Jan

If you are talking about this image, you are correct, not acceptable.

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f020.jpg

The bad news, the G1X2 lens is not worth using at 24mm f2.0, VERY soft.

The good new, it gets much better by 24mm f4.0, except for the corners

http://www.monox.jp/img/canon_powershotg1xmk2_125mm_f040.jpg

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

I'm afraid it looks more like a f/2.8-5.6 lens

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
In reply to Grobb, 7 months ago

Same issue my Sony RX100M2 had.. except it was at 28mm F1.8 and only became useable at F2.8

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3593706

When you make a lens that covers such a wide range, there will be compromises.

Not unusual really.

grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X mark 2 manual is available in japanese.
In reply to panamforeman, 7 months ago

panamforeman wrote:

hawat wrote:

It looks like the manual is up now on this page.

http://cweb.canon.jp/manual/digitalcamera/

Or you can directly access it with this link if you cant find it on the page

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAxNDI3OTAx&cmp=ACM&lang=JA

Drats man! They're in Japanese!

Here's a link to the english manual from the Canon US site.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300014281/01/psg1x-mk2-cu-en.pdf

Been available for some days.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem,
Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,374Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 7 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Same issue my Sony RX100M2 had.. except it was at 28mm F1.8 and only became useable at F2.8

Not unusual really.

yes, it seems like this is what you get when making a bright lens for larger sensor too compact. I'm really starting to doubt the value of that bright lens, which IMHO is the main selling point of the G1X II. I think I would prefer a slower lens (e.g. f/3.5-5.6) with the same focal length range that is sharp wide open (and smaller / lighter and possibly cheaper).

I hope the Nikon P8000 gives better results near wide open; the smaller sensor and experience with some previous Coolpix and Nikon 1 lenses should help.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,374Gear list
Like?
Re: The reason true macro lenses aren't wide or fast.
In reply to howardroark, 7 months ago

howardroark wrote:

kona_moon wrote:

...that's what the reviewer wrote in Japanese. He also noted that it is remedied by either stepping down a little (he did not mention how little) or increasing the focus distance.

If you look at true macro lenses (1:1) you'll notice they are always prime (Canon, anyway) and never wide or super-fast. Why? Zoom is a pain even without super close minimum focusing distance. Fast with zoom is an even bigger pain. When we see some shots posted with the original RAW files maybe we can draw some conclusions. I haven't seen any RAW files yet and I don't think anyone has been terribly specific about what the camera's settiings are as far as JPEG processing. And the Mark II lens starts at 12.5mm! Holy crap! I would expect it to be extremely soft wide open and at wide angle, but it really is surprisingly good.

Either way, if you can stop the camera down and get sharp macros it would still be an amazing lens. Not only that, but were these macro shots done in stable conditions? I don't see any sign of motion blur, but I also see pictures that look great despite not being tack sharp like a stopped down 100mm f/2.8 IS. Everything I've seen makes the camera look like a killer. The extra zoom range, decent macro distance, fast lens, detail, and low noise are very promising.

The similar APS-C 15-85IS lens is soft for closeup shots at any aperture or focal length (especially outside the center), has strong field curvature and in general unpleasant bokeh - and it is 1-1.5 stops slower than the G1X Mk II lens. If the G1X II is really sharp for 'macro' stopped down it would be an improvement over the 15-85IS. But I'm not holding my breath, the lens looks like a clear compromise (acceptable to some, not acceptable to others); maybe the spec is just too ambitious.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Lucien
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to technic, 7 months ago

technic wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Not unusual really.

yes, it seems like this is what you get when making a bright lens for larger sensor too compact. I'm really starting to doubt the value of that bright lens, which IMHO is the main selling point of the G1X II. I think I would prefer a slower lens (e.g. f/3.5-5.6) with the same focal length range that is sharp wide open (and smaller / lighter and possibly cheaper).

I hope the Nikon P8000 gives better results near wide open; the smaller sensor and experience with some previous Coolpix and Nikon 1 lenses should help.

Same was said about S100 few years ago when going from 28 to 24mm and apparently also with Sony (and tons of other camera's). This is typical especially with f2.0 and wide 24mm (unless you are buying a $1000+ lens). Checkout some of the top lens reviews on dpreview just for reference.

Note however don't expect it in daylight conditions to choose f2. It would only choose that with low light conditions and in that case you'll lose some detail anyway (certainly if alternative is higher ISO). Also remember you can add more sharpening but not all pictures will look like a resolution chart...

Until we see dpreview studio comparison still bit hard to do a good comparison between previous model and other cameras. Don't expect huge difference at lowest ISO compared to camera's with smaller sensors. Biggest difference would be in low light in theory given much larger sensor.

telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
In reply to Lucien, 7 months ago

If ever DPR gets to reviewing the G1XII, we will not be able to compare IQ with the G1X due to the changed test scene chart.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads