Letter to Fuji about the X100s

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Palinarius
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?
Letter to Fuji about the X100s
7 months ago

I really like my X100s. But I do have some issues with the camera. Here's a letter I've sent to Fuji about it.

I purchased an X100s several months ago and haven’t been so excited about a camera in ages. I’m 66 years old and was a photojournalist most of my working career. I’m now a writer, but I still shoot photos.

Two forces influenced me to buy the X100s. First of all, I used to work with a GSW 690 and loved that camera. That’s a real pro’s camera. Unfortunately, I no longer care to shoot film. Secondly, I still have a lot of Leica equipment but am not impressed with Leica’s digital offerings so far. So this Fujifilm jewel looked like the right one.

The camera is very well built and the image quality is superb. But I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is. I thought it was just me, the old guy loosing his marbles, unable to adapt to the new way. But then I started talking to other photographers, including some relatively famous journalists. We all agreed on the same thing: we need a Fuji X100s designed for people who actually shoot news photos. And Fuji is the company that should be able to do it.

I know what you’re asking yourself right now….”Who’s going to buy it?”

The fan boy digital camera field is so crowded right now….and under attack from the iPhone. A simple, durable high quality rangefinder would stand alone in its class. Lots of free publicity would come your way. Canon obviously got lots of working pro input into the interface design on their top of the line cameras. That pro input separates the real from the fake!

With Leicas I shoot with a 28 and a 35. So maybe you could do like you did with the 6x9 cameras and offer a wide camera and a less wide camera. I don’t think changing lenses is necessary. I don’t do it with Leicas.

I hope you’re interested in hearing from photographers. This is a great camera but not yet what a lot of serious photographers are looking for.

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

Palinarius's gear list:Palinarius's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,134Gear list
Like?
Re: Letter to Fuji about the X100s
In reply to Palinarius, 7 months ago

Palinarius wrote:

. But I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is.

How could it be any easier? A on the lens. S on the big knob on top. Exposure comp on the little knob on top. ISO on the Fn button. You can go full auto by setting A or lens and S knob.

What is missing?

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Could software help?

I'm using the X-T1 side by side with the x100s, and noticed that the few issues were improved significantly with software.

- focus priority

- tendency to over expose is vastly improved

- face detection

You won't believe how these few things changed my 'trust' of the camera, I like the x100s but won't dare to trust it once in a life time photos, despite many gears I have that title used to go to Olympus cameras because the fast and accurate focus and exposure.   Now I'm almost certain that the X-T1 can take that title.

On 28mm and 35mm, the X100S has a well received wide angle converter which I've yet to try, but of course a Tri-Elmar style 24-35-50 would be amazing, although admittedly not going to happen.

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
historianx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

I really like my X100s. But I do have some issues with the camera. Here's a letter I've sent to Fuji about it.

I purchased an X100s several months ago and haven’t been so excited about a camera in ages. I’m 66 years old and was a photojournalist most of my working career. I’m now a writer, but I still shoot photos.

Two forces influenced me to buy the X100s. First of all, I used to work with a GSW 690 and loved that camera. That’s a real pro’s camera. Unfortunately, I no longer care to shoot film. Secondly, I still have a lot of Leica equipment but am not impressed with Leica’s digital offerings so far. So this Fujifilm jewel looked like the right one.

The camera is very well built and the image quality is superb. But I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is. I thought it was just me, the old guy loosing his marbles, unable to adapt to the new way. But then I started talking to other photographers, including some relatively famous journalists. We all agreed on the same thing: we need a Fuji X100s designed for people who actually shoot news photos. And Fuji is the company that should be able to do it.

The fan boy digital camera field is so crowded right now….and under attack from the iPhone. A simple, durable high quality rangefinder would stand alone in its class. Lots of free publicity would come your way. Canon obviously got lots of working pro input into the interface design on their top of the line cameras. That pro input separates the real from the fake!

With Leicas I shoot with a 28 and a 35. So maybe you could do like you did with the 6x9 cameras and offer a wide camera and a less wide camera. I don’t think changing lenses is necessary. I don’t do it with Leicas.

I hope you’re interested in hearing from photographers. This is a great camera but not yet what a lot of serious photographers are looking for.

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

this is too vague. You need to provide SPECIFIC examples of what your gripes are. Fuji take one read of this, and file it in the circular cabinet as another crank letter.

And FWIW ive worked on several daily newspapers and have 3 decades of commercial and editorial experience, and imo the X100s is one of the best cameras ive ever used.  Yeah it can be complicated but so what?  Learn it!

If it doesnt work sell it and move on! Jeez!

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
Content free post

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

You've written a lot of words, but have said nothing useful. The only thing I learned was that you don't like the camera. Also, make X100s with different lenses (you do know they sell adapters to increase and decrease the focal length?).

What exactly don't you like? You want the X200 to adopt the Canon/Nikon dial/wheel configuration? You need to be more specific. Fuji will definitely ignore this letter.

WhiteSwan
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

Shutter speed dial.

Aperture ring.

Exposure comp knob.

ISO via fn button.That's all I need or want.

Palinarius
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?
Re: Content free post
In reply to David McGaughey, 7 months ago

David McGaughey wrote:

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

You've written a lot of words, but have said nothing useful.

The only thing I learned was that you don't like the camera.

"I really like my X100s."

"I purchased an X100s several months ago and haven’t been so excited about a camera in ages."

"The camera is very well built and the image quality is superb."

OK, the above quotes all from my original post. Where does it say I don't like the camera?

Also, make X100s with different lenses (you do know they sell adapters to increase and decrease the focal length?).

Sorry, I don't use "adapters"

What exactly don't you like? You want the X200 to adopt the Canon/Nikon dial/wheel configuration? You need to be more specific. Fuji will definitely ignore this letter.

"I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is."

That's also from the original post.

I'd like to see the same camera redesigned by real photographers, not fan boys.

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

Palinarius's gear list:Palinarius's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
WhiteSwan
Contributing MemberPosts: 631
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

David McGaughey wrote:

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

You've written a lot of words, but have said nothing useful.

The only thing I learned was that you don't like the camera.

"I really like my X100s."

"I purchased an X100s several months ago and haven’t been so excited about a camera in ages."

"The camera is very well built and the image quality is superb."

OK, the above quotes all from my original post. Where does it say I don't like the camera?

Also, make X100s with different lenses (you do know they sell adapters to increase and decrease the focal length?).

"I found the controls to be so complicated and confusing that in a real shooting situation the camera is difficult to work with. It’s too easy to change a setting accidently, too hard to figure out what the issue is."

That's also from the original post.

I'd like to see the same camera redesigned by real photographers, not fan boys.

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

One of the reasons I like my X100S is the fact that it's so simple.

Shomari
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?

It seems to me if you can learn to use a Leica you should be able to use a X100s.  It's just not that hard to use.:-O

-- hide signature --

Howard
htree1@suddenlink.net

Shomari's gear list:Shomari's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
t3htriste
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?

I'm confused, to be honest.

No disrespect to your experience, but I've never read the X100S manual and found the camera super-simple to use already. Sure, some controls could be improved, but...considering how Aperture, Shutter Speed and Exposure Compensation are changeable (and viewable) with the dials, WB works reasonably well, ISO settings changeable with a few button presses, AF/MF selector within easy reach and two focus-assist features--I don't see what you mean.

Like other posters, I would be interested to know what specific improvements you look for.

t3htriste's gear list:t3htriste's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Beat Traveller
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

So a Leica, which has basically the same control scheme is fine, but an X100s is too confusing? You've lost me...

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,702Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

I'd like to see the same camera redesigned by real photographers, not fan boys

Why do these threads so quickly dissolve into insults and accusations?

I agree that you weren't very specific, other than saying the dials are too easy to change.  Many would agree with you there.  I've accidentally bumped them myself.

I do agree with the comment regarding Leica's.  The controls aren't too dissimilar.  Also, someone who has been shooting for 30 years should be familiar with the type of controls on the X100s, so that was odd too.

Would you prefer the newer PASM type dials?

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
griddi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

I have the Fuji X100, and I have absolute no problem with the camera, the settings, menue ec.

So perhaps you are right as you yourself wrote " Old guy unable to adapt to the new ways "

But then I did using for many years a Agfa Silette ( Film ) camera, and I find the Fuji X100 not so very different from the old style Agfa Silete.....

Griddi........

griddi's gear list:griddi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica D-Lux 6 Olympus OM-D E-M5
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
Pretend I'm a Fuji designer

What am I supposed to change to fix your problem? I really don't understand what your problem is. You could replace "camera" with "car" and "shooting" with "driving" and this sentence would be valid for a car.

mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,558
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

David McGaughey wrote:

Why on earth would you be against using adapters? Fuji's WCL is absolutely fantastic with no IQ or light loss.

Fuji's track record has been excellent when it comes to listening to customer feedback, but you need specifics. Something like, "Can you make the RAW button programmable?" worked well and Fuji made the change after they heard the request from multiple users.

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

Get this thumb rest. No more accidental dial movement.:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/fujifilm_finepix_x100.php

and check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-Fujifilm-X100S-Alexander/dp/1937986209

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?

Palinarius wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

You refer to Leica being a camera you like. I own the M9 and from the ergonomics point of view it is a horrible camera. Exposure compensation is a real pain and the light meter is terrible. Center weighted and highly inaccurate. No grip and so forth. I love the files and i do not know the X100 S.

The X T1 is from the control point of view heaven compared to a Leica camera. My M9 gives me fantastic pictures but other camera's are finding more often a place in my bag.
Take for instance 21 mm focal length. With a Leica you need to mount a separate optical viewfinder to compose and use the range finder OVF to set the AF. A horrible exercise. With X T1 and the 14 mm it is a breeze to compose and focus using the EVF. I am interested in your draft letter to Fuji, i think your letter need to be addressed to Leica instead. I am not a fan boy because i own both.
I am using Leica for its fantastics optics and not for the camera body.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
DocetLector
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Re: Could software help?
In reply to zilver, 7 months ago

The Tri Elmar is 28-35-50 and f/4. A lot of people would comlain about this lens not being fast enough.

DocetLector's gear list:DocetLector's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +1 more
darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,404Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 7 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

Palinarius wrote:

David McGaughey wrote:

Why on earth would you be against using adapters? Fuji's WCL is absolutely fantastic with no IQ or light loss.

Personally, I would like the switch from wide to normal to long to be handled internally. Going from long to wide would be really fast, in the same way that pressing a button to turn on the ND filter is quicker than screwing and unscrewing a filter, and wouldn't involve carrying around extra bulk to use with a "compact" camera.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Daniel K Berman
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

-- hide signature --

Bratsvo i Jedinstvo!

The WCL-x100 should solve your problem of wanting something a little wider. By all accounts, it functions perfectly. Two cameras would be overkill.

I bought the x100 for the ease of use. What could be simpler than analog dials? I dislike rooting around in menus. I have a Canon 5DMKII and while I enjoy the camera I much prefer dedicated switches for shutter & aperture. Perhaps you would prefer a menu system. For me, I like picking up the camera and seeing my last settings before it's even turned on. Reminds me of my old Pentax K1000.

I think it's positive to reach out to Fuji. They clearly listen. That's obvious with the way they bring in people like Zack Arias and pay attention to what pros want. The firmware updates are also evidence of their commitment. The problem I see is that your letter isn't saying much other than you want two versions of the x100 and you think the analog switches are complicated. Not much to go on there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads