Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?

Started 9 months ago | Questions
TravelLight
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?
9 months ago

I have ordered X-T1 and the following lenses: 14mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, 55-200mm. So, with the lens sale ending soon, is there another lens I should buy?

I mainly do landscape, animals (my cat and wildlife encountered while hiking), street, and want to get into macro (mainly flowers and creatures on flowers/grass/leaves, etc.).

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street all that much, and already have 18-55? I really like 56mm but the price is so high that I definitely won't buy unless I have a real need (I don't do weddings or formal portraits -- not a pro).

Thanks!

ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens recommendation: is 23mm a must-have?
In reply to TravelLight, 9 months ago

TravelLight wrote:

I have ordered X-T1 and the following lenses: 14mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, 55-200mm. So, with the lens sale ending soon, is there another lens I should buy?

I mainly do landscape, animals (my cat and wildlife encountered while hiking), street, and want to get into macro (mainly flowers and creatures on flowers/grass/leaves, etc.).

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street all that much, and already have 18-55? I really like 56mm but the price is so high that I definitely won't buy unless I have a real need (I don't do weddings or formal portraits -- not a pro).

Thanks!

Seeing as how you have the 18-55mm, I would have to ask if you plan on shooing in low light or need much subject isolation at 23mm. If the the answer to both of those is no, then I would say that you don't need the 23mm. Also, keep in mind that the zoom has OIS, so if you have a still subject in low light, the OIS will make up for some of it, but ONLY for a still subject.

Personally I like my 23mm and consider it a "must have" for me, while I no longer own the zoom and don't care for it (Great lens, just not my style). But that is just me.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Gellings
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?

TravelLight wrote:

Only you can answer this question.  Is there a photo you can't make with the equipment you already have?

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?

TravelLight wrote:

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street all that much, and already have 18-55?

For what you shoot that is a great set as most of that type of work is not shot shallow DOF. What the 23mm brings is f/1.4 while the zoom gets you f/3.2 at that FL. For hikes the 14 and 18-55 are a perfect combo which I use on long grueling mountain hikes. A 23 would be excess weigh where weigh matters.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
shotguns
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 9 months ago

Im in the exact same boat (well, almost)...

18-55, 55-200, 35 and Tamron 90 for Macro (which is great with these Fujis).

I don't have your 14 (hope to some day)... but DID get the 23.

Yes, I tried shooting with the zoom on 23 for a few trips out.... mostly just to see how much I like the FL.

Seeing that that works for me - I didn't really care if I was going to need to speed of 1.4... for me, I wanted this as a standalone prime to street and casual shots (the 35 also fills this role but differently of course). I love the capacity of the lens for subject isolation when wide. Not being able to get exactly that with the zoom - I spent the money while she's on sale.

If it's a financial hit - maybe sit out till the next sale... or... in the waiting period ... become clearer about whether you want the 56 or 23 more.... both are great..., for me, the 23... for portraits/macros - the Tamron will do just fine. (Also using a 250D there)...

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 9 months ago

Thanks TThorne! I love taking sunrise/sunset shots. My apartment can be considered low-light I guess. Lighting in the woods can be dim too but I am thinking about using 14mm for landscape. For indoor cat photos, is 23mm or 35mm better? I heard that 35mm is a bit slow in comparison and you know how pets move (fast)!

TThorne wrote:

Seeing as how you have the 18-55mm, I would have to ask if you plan on shooing in low light or need much subject isolation at 23mm. If the the answer to both of those is no, then I would say that you don't need the 23mm. Also, keep in mind that the zoom has OIS, so if you have a still subject in low light, the OIS will make up for some of it, but ONLY for a still subject.\

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to John Gellings, 9 months ago

Good question I think I have covered all the focal length Fuji can cover at the moment, but sometimes I salivate over the "pop" some photos make and it sounds like 23mm or 35mm or 56mm can really have that effect... Ah GAS!

John Gellings wrote:

Only you can answer this question. Is there a photo you can't make with the equipment you already have?

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 9 months ago

Thanks Al! I used to have Panasonic 25mm 1.4 and I used it for cat (indoor) and street photos (not while hiking of course), but found it a bit too tight...

Al Valentino wrote:

For what you shoot that is a great set as most of that type of work is not shot shallow DOF. What the 23mm brings is f/1.4 while the zoom gets you f/3.2 at that FL. For hikes the 14 and 18-55 are a perfect combo which I use on long grueling mountain hikes. A 23 would be excess weigh where weigh matters.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to shotguns, 9 months ago

Thanks! Yes, 23mm does have its advantages, and I really loved my Panasonic 25mm 1.4 prime when I had it (as you guys said, subject isolation is a beautiful thing).

shotguns wrote:

Im in the exact same boat (well, almost)...

18-55, 55-200, 35 and Tamron 90 for Macro (which is great with these Fujis).

I don't have your 14 (hope to some day)... but DID get the 23.

Yes, I tried shooting with the zoom on 23 for a few trips out.... mostly just to see how much I like the FL.

Seeing that that works for me - I didn't really care if I was going to need to speed of 1.4... for me, I wanted this as a standalone prime to street and casual shots (the 35 also fills this role but differently of course). I love the capacity of the lens for subject isolation when wide. Not being able to get exactly that with the zoom - I spent the money while she's on sale.

If it's a financial hit - maybe sit out till the next sale... or... in the waiting period ... become clearer about whether you want the 56 or 23 more.... both are great..., for me, the 23... for portraits/macros - the Tamron will do just fine. (Also using a 250D there)...

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,553Gear list
Like?
No - not if you want to travel light!

TravelLight wrote:

Thanks--

Joachim
http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com

Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 389Gear list
Like?

I have the 23mm and the 18-55. The 23mm is definitely more capable of creating that artistic feel than the 18-55mm but the 18-55mm is every bit as sharp. If you already have the 35mm, it is VERY capable of creating an artistic feel if that is what you want. So I would say, it is definitely nice to have in the arsenal, but NOT a must have.

As I search through my photos, I rarely ever have a picture jump off of the page that I took with the 23mm.  More often than not I can't tell the difference between pictures I took with it or with the 18-55mm zoom. However, I constantly have photos that I took with the 35mm jump out at me and make me say WOW, I TOOK THAT.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,555Gear list
Like?
You have almost too many lenses already...

TravelLight wrote:

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street .......

You have already more than enough.

If you later need  a really usable  WA,  the 10-24   looks like a great lens.

You will very likely use the 18-55 in 80% of all images

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
TravelLight
Like?
Re: No - not if you want to travel light!
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 9 months ago

LOL!

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

TravelLight wrote:

Thanks--

Joachim
http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to Conrad567, 9 months ago

No, don't temp me with another option! I have searched here for multiple threads on 23 vs. 35. It seems the main complaint about 35 is that it has a different focus mechanism (don't remember the details) so it's AF is slower than 23, even with firmware update.

Conrad567 wrote:

I have the 23mm and the 18-55. The 23mm is definitely more capable of creating that artistic feel than the 18-55mm but the 18-55mm is every bit as sharp. If you already have the 35mm, it is VERY capable of creating an artistic feel if that is what you want. So I would say, it is definitely nice to have in the arsenal, but NOT a must have.

As I search through my photos, I rarely ever have a picture jump off of the page that I took with the 23mm. More often than not I can't tell the difference between pictures I took with it or with the 18-55mm zoom. However, I constantly have photos that I took with the 35mm jump out at me and make me say WOW, I TOOK THAT.

Les Lammers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,215Gear list
Like?

TravelLight wrote:

Thanks!

No lens is necessary unless it is a focal length YOU use often or you like its rendering. Use the 18-55 a while and see how it works out.

For street, you may want to consider the 27mm. I doubt you'll sell it and if you do you would lose little $$$.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
TravelLight
Like?
Re: You have almost too many lenses already...
In reply to KariP, 9 months ago

Need vs. want, the eternal struggle I was really tempted by 10-24 but the size/weight seems daunting, seeing that I do a lot of WA shots while traveling/hiking. That's why I got the 14mm.

KariP wrote:

TravelLight wrote:

Is 23mm necessary if I already have the lenses above? Especially given that I don't really do street .......

You have already more than enough.

If you later need a really usable WA, the 10-24 looks like a great lens.

You will very likely use the 18-55 in 80% of all images

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, 9 months ago

Thanks, Les and others! I guess I am trying to justify buying it But I agree that it's better to see how I like the zoom before I make a decision. Will go back to LR to see what my most-used focal length are, too.

Les Lammers wrote:

TravelLight wrote:

Thanks!

No lens is necessary unless it is a focal length YOU use often or you like its rendering. Use the 18-55 a while and see how it works out.

Les Lammers
Like?

TravelLight wrote:

No, don't temp me with another option! I have searched here for multiple threads on 23 vs. 35. It seems the main complaint about 35 is that it has a different focus mechanism (don't remember the details) so it's AF is slower than 23, even with firmware update.

Conrad567 wrote:

As I search through my photos, I rarely ever have a picture jump off of the page that I took with the 23mm. More often than not I can't tell the difference between pictures I took with it or with the 18-55mm zoom. However, I constantly have photos that I took with the 35mm jump out at me and make me say WOW, I TOOK THAT.

Fuji may change the motor etc. in the 35 so I am going to wait and see if they do and if it speed up the focus. This will not be the last sale.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Les Lammers
Like?

Will go back to LR to see what my most-used focal length are, too.

+1 Excellent idea!

TravelLight
Like?
In reply to Les Lammers, 9 months ago

I haven't heard of that rumor, but thanks for the tip!

Les Lammers wrote:

Fuji may change the motor etc. in the 35 so I am going to wait and see if they do and if it speed up the focus. This will not be the last sale.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads