Nikon 1 V3 Sample Shots

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Nikon 1 V3 Sample Shots
4 months ago
 BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,288
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 Sample Shots
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, 4 months ago

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonfrance/sets/72157642287620513

Hopefully RAW looks better...

RAW is better 100% of the time, usually significantly, and Nikon themselves are known for extremely poor sample images.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Good heavens

I swear there must be something wrong with that second photo (night shot over the city). I could do much better than that with my V2 or even my iphone 4S. It's very grainy & noisy. I'd be embarrassed to post such a horrible photo for only friends and family, much less to promote a product.

Edit: I understand better now.  When I expanded the file information, that image is at ISO 12800.  So the image is supposed to be the sample of what it looks like at its highest ISO.  Well... looks completely unusable to me.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
Jan Toude
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
 Jan Toude's gear list:Jan Toude's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Canon PowerShot A1300 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 S1 +7 more
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Good heavens
In reply to DesertCat, 4 months ago

DesertCat wrote:

I swear there must be something wrong with that second photo (night shot over the city). I could do much better than that with my V2 or even my iphone 4S. It's very grainy & noisy. I'd be embarrassed to post such a horrible photo for only friends and family, much less to promote a product.

I doubt that you could. It's ISO 12800 in very poor light. This quality is to be expected.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +15 more
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
See that now
In reply to arbuz, 4 months ago

Yeah, I edited my post after I expanded the information and saw that it was ISO 12800.  What that tells me, though, is that ISO 12800 may be a selling point for the camera, but the results are not good..  Especially for a city shot like that, a person would be better off choosing a lower ISO and using a tripod.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jan Toude, 4 months ago

Jan Toude wrote:

Better quality photos:

www.nikon-asia.com/en_Asia/product/nikon-1/nikon-1-v3#gallery

www.nikon-image.com/products/camera/acil/body/nikon1_v3/sample01.htm

The image of the beach volley ball player is horrible (somewhere on Nikons sites it's available in full resolution), it's noisy and the focus is not on the face of the player but on the ground…

Other images suffer from wrong focus and/or to high ISO. That image of the hallway has unacceptable motion blur…

Somehow Nikons sample images are almost always really bad.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
Re: See that now
In reply to DesertCat, 4 months ago

That shot is incredibly grainy, but the good news is the next photo @ 6400 looks significantly better. Still pretty bad, but it gives hope that ISO 3200 will be usable.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
In reply to myzel, 4 months ago

myzel wrote:

Jan Toude wrote:

Better quality photos:

The image of the beach volley ball player is horrible (somewhere on Nikons sites it's available in full resolution), it's noisy and the focus is not on the face of the player but on the ground…

And the image is taken at base ISO! Time will surely tell, but I doubt that the sensor is really much improved or is in the same league as Sony's 1"-type sensor.

bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916
Like?

At 100% I don't see any improvement in detail over my J1. If you resize the 18mp image to 10mp, you can see more detail.

Jan Toude
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Vendor samples: in-camera JPEG better than RAW?

myzel wrote:

The image of the beach volley ball player is horrible (somewhere on Nikons sites it's available in full resolution), it's noisy ...

My EXIF findings: all in-camera JPEG pictures at ISO 160 are fine.
All grainy pictures are either high ISO or converted from RAW with Capture NX 2.4.6 M :

Jan Toude's gear list:Jan Toude's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Canon PowerShot A1300 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 S1 +7 more
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Re: Vendor samples: in-camera JPEG better than RAW?

Jan Toude wrote:

myzel wrote:

The image of the beach volley ball player is horrible (somewhere on Nikons sites it's available in full resolution), it's noisy ...

My EXIF findings: all in-camera JPEG pictures at ISO 160 are fine.
All grainy pictures are either high ISO or converted from RAW with Capture NX 2.4.6 M :

Is CNX2 adding noise that's not there to begin with?

MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 630
Like?
In reply to iamthenewguy, 4 months ago

iamthenewguy wrote:

That shot is incredibly grainy, but the good news is the next photo @ 6400 looks significantly better. Still pretty bad, but it gives hope that ISO 3200 will be usable.

I would not agree that it's "pretty bad" at ISO 6400.  Unless I am missing something, the noise is minor -- focus on the water in the background where the color variations would be expected to yield a lot of color noise -- not bad, at all (assuming not a lot of noise reduction was applied).

That said, I'd like to see some other shots, ideally the same shot at a series of ISO values, and at a higher resolution from a non-Nikon source (who knows how much noise reduction may have been used).

MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 630
Like?
In reply to bgbs, 4 months ago

bgbs wrote:

At 100% I don't see any improvement in detail over my J1. If you resize the 18mp image to 10mp, you can see more detail.

Does that suggest that a 5/9 crop of an image from the new sensor will yield a result equivalent to what comes off of the full J1/V1 10 Mp sensor?

If so, I'll call that an improvement given the significantly higher pixel density

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,372Gear list
Like?

myzel wrote:

Jan Toude wrote:

Better quality photos:

Other images suffer from wrong focus and/or to high ISO. That image of the hallway has unacceptable motion blur…

Somehow Nikons sample images are almost always really bad.

The Nikon samples from the D800 were fantastic in my opinion.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 733Gear list
Like?

myzel wrote:

It seems that image is a still out of the first sample video. It appears normal to me that the focus didn't change quickly enough when the player ran into view. Could you look at that video and tell me what you think?

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mark9473, 4 months ago

Mark9473 wrote:

It seems that image is a still out of the first sample video. It appears normal to me that the focus didn't change quickly enough when the player ran into view. …

Could be possible. What ever the reason is, I don't think that image (and some others) are good advertising images.

For most users it will be more important how good the third party raw converters are, until these are available I'm not going to judge the image quality of the V3.

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
JasonED
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
In reply to bgbs, 4 months ago

bgbs wrote:

I think you missed the letter "t" off your statement?

Either that or I have no idea how you reach your conclusion...

-- hide signature --

The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to iamthenewguy, 4 months ago

iamthenewguy wrote:

I find ISO3200 already usable on my V1 with the right workflow (NR). Here is a sample of the V1 at ISO3200:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26344495@N05/12856826435/in/photostream

JJB7
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Vendor samples: in-camera JPEG better than RAW?

Thank you, Jan.  The close-up of the swimmer's face looks excellent.   Now would like more samples from independent testers across the ISO range, preferably RAW, comparing against V2, RX100m2 or RX10, M4/3, and maybe APS too.   Will just have to wait for the reviews.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads