One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
jadot
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?
5 months ago

Hi,

My Nikon Kit:

D800

D600

105mm

85 1.4

24-70 2.8

50 1.4

flash etc. and other bits.

I'm shooting mostly Fuji now but keeping one of the Nikon's. with a 58 1.4 and a 35 1.4

Fuji X-T1, 56 1.2, 18-55, X100s (35 & 28 Equiv f2), Flash & etc.

My question is this: Which one do I sell? D800 or D600?

I like both cameras, but can't make up my mind between the advantages which each present.

D800 - 1/8000th Shutter speed, 5:4 Crop mode (I use this all the time), Can get a nicer Eye cup. Resolution (See below!)

D600 - Smaller files sizes, Only 1/4000th (ouch), No Crop Mode, U1 & U2 Modes, Quiet(er) shutter. Better Colour wb?

What would you do? I can't keep both of them.

Thanks.

p.s - Please; this is not a discussion about whether I should or shouldn't choose to shoot with Fuji or whether that is a better or worse choice! I've been shooting Nikon for since the beginning, and I will continue to do so, but the Fuji X system offers a better all round solution for me and the way I work.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.co.uk

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664Gear list
Like?
I would get rid of the one you like less...
In reply to jadot, 5 months ago

...and keep the one you like more.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
Re: I would get rid of the one you like less...
In reply to paulski66, 5 months ago

i can't imagine why u would not keep the best one (obviously the d800).

jadot
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 5 months ago

paulski66 wrote:

...and keep the one you like more.

Helpful.

-- hide signature --

jadot
Like?
In reply to frank-in-toronto, 5 months ago

frank-in-toronto wrote:

Why is the D800 (obviously) better?

-- hide signature --

Ansel Spear
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?

Re-read the reviews.

I can only assume that you need the money, otherwise you'd keep both.  Therefore I suggest that you sell the D800, as you'll get more for it.

I also think that, if you don't know which of the two is the better camera, sell the D800 as it's wasted on you

Ansel Spear's gear list:Ansel Spear's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
jadot
Like?
In reply to Ansel Spear, 5 months ago

Ansel Spear wrote:

Re-read the reviews.

Another helpful and educated insight. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,490Gear list
Like?
You have to decide based on

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

the parimeters that only you know. Personally, I'd keep the D800.  You should know what attributes of each you like, and which are most important.  This is a thread that shouldn't even be here. You own both bodies. Should be an easy choice. Why do you think anyone on here can help you decide??  I could see if you were looking to buy and hadn't owned either and needed some advice.+

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
paulski66
Like?
Re: You have to decide based on
In reply to T O Shooter, 5 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

Should be an easy choice. Why do you think anyone on here can help you decide??

I know, right?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
ChapelThrill23
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: One of these must go: D600 or D800. Which one?

If you are mostly using the Fuji system then it might make sense to sell the D800 and pocket more cash that you could then either invest in Fuji lenses/gear or just hold on to.

GearGuru
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

Wow that's a tough one. I own both D600 and D800 as well as the Fuji X-E2. I really like both Nikons so it would be a painful decision. If I absolutely had to make the choice, I'd keep the D800. It has slightly better and faster AF, more AF points, and higher resolution and beefier build quality. You've already got the lightweight alternative covered with the Fuji system.

GearGuru's gear list:GearGuru's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +21 more
jadot
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

the parimeters that only you know. Personally, I'd keep the D800. You should know what attributes of each you like, and which are most important. This is a thread that shouldn't even be here. You own both bodies. Should be an easy choice. Why do you think anyone on here can help you decide?? I could see if you were looking to buy and hadn't owned either and needed some advice.+

-- hide signature --

Ok, first of all, people need to drop the forum police defensive approach.

"This thread shouldn't even be here"? WTF?

I have a fairly good idea of which camera I want to keep, and FWIW I like both cameras equally. They do different things well.

The original question is a philosophical one, and one that could point to an interesting debate with considered responses. For e.g. Just asking the question suggests that for practical purposes it could be argued that these two bodies are more or less equal. Or, if the D600 would be kept over the D800 does that suggest that the extra features/customisations of the D800 are "worth" the extra cost?

If you don't like what you read in forums, why a) read them and b)respond??!!

in reply to frank-in-toronto; If the D800 is obviously better, then why did Nikon introduce new features to the D600 e.g User modes. Is 36MP better than 24? My Hard drives don't think so! Is it better because it costs more? If the D600 costs less, is more or less equal to the D800 in terms of IQ (some would say 'better' at high ISO) then isn't that 'obviously' better?

-- hide signature --

j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?

jadot wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

the parimeters that only you know. Personally, I'd keep the D800. You should know what attributes of each you like, and which are most important. This is a thread that shouldn't even be here. You own both bodies. Should be an easy choice. Why do you think anyone on here can help you decide?? I could see if you were looking to buy and hadn't owned either and needed some advice.+

-- hide signature --

I have a fairly good idea of which camera I want to keep, and FWIW I like both cameras equally. They do different things well.

The original question is a philosophical one, and one that could point to an interesting debate with considered responses. For e.g. Just asking the question suggests that for practical purposes it could be argued that these two bodies are more or less equal. Or, if the D600 would be kept over the D800 does that suggest that the extra features/customisations of the D800 are "worth" the extra cost?

in reply to frank-in-toronto; If the D800 is obviously better, then why did Nikon introduce new features to the D600 e.g User modes. Is 36MP better than 24? My Hard drives don't think so! Is it better because it costs more? If the D600 costs less, is more or less equal to the D800 in terms of IQ (some would say 'better' at high ISO) then isn't that 'obviously' better?

-- hide signature --

I would keep the d800. I like the controls, larger files, and better focusing.

I don't think this is a philosophical question. You haven't told us anything about how you shoot or what's important to you in a camera. So how are we supposed to provide meaningful suggestions? If you have shot with both and neither seems to offer any strong advantage for you, then sell the one you can get more money for.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,490Gear list
Like?

jadot wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

You did not put in any info on what you shoot, if weight was a concern nothing. Just "which one would you chose?"  You own both - you don't need help from us. That's "WTF"

This has been debated on here forever. So you're a little late to the party with an "interesting debate"

I gave an appropriate response to a kind of "useless" question. Never said I didn't like what I read. You just don't like being told the truth.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
jadot
Like?

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

You did not put in any info on what you shoot, if weight was a concern nothing. Just "which one would you chose?" You own both - you don't need help from us. That's "WTF"

This has been debated on here forever. So you're a little late to the party with an "interesting debate"

I gave an appropriate response to a kind of "useless" question. Never said I didn't like what I read. You just don't like being told the truth.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

thanks for that.

Anyone else here got anything constructive to offer?

-- hide signature --

bocajrs
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
In reply to GearGuru, 5 months ago

Sell D600 and keep D800 - That's what I did

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
jadot
Like?
In reply to j_photo, 5 months ago

j_photo wrote:

jadot wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

jadot wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

I would keep the d800. I like the controls, larger files, and better focusing.

I don't think this is a philosophical question. You haven't told us anything about how you shoot or what's important to you in a camera. So how are we supposed to provide meaningful suggestions? If you have shot with both and neither seems to offer any strong advantage for you, then sell the one you can get more money for.

Started well, but then you got a little bit cross.

I don't know why this question is upsetting people enough to feel compelled to tell me where to stick it!

Does it matter how I shoot? (BTW, the answer's in my sig) - Most cameras at this level can handle most situations well, and I'd dare say that both the D600 and D800 are aimed at a similar demographic. It's hardly point and shoot vs Phase One here...

I asked, Which one would you keep? It's a curiosity, not an attack!

-- hide signature --

jadot
Like?
In reply to bocajrs, 5 months ago

bocajrs wrote:

Sell D600 and keep D800 - That's what I did

Thanks. You and a couple of others managed to answer the question! That's probably what I'll do, but I was playing with the 600 this morning and kind of enjoyed the weight etc. Especially with the 50...

-- hide signature --

JayDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?

If your main camera is Fuji and Nikon is a backup that you use only once in a while or when needed then keep the D600 as it can do almost everything and it is been used as both a main or backup camera successfully. You can use the money from D800 to add more fuji gear or save it.

If your main camera is the Nikon and Fuji is your backup or day to day / walk around camera then keep the D800. Simple

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jay
Images from the mind are surreal!

JayDreamer's gear list:JayDreamer's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 Aspherical +7 more
paulski66
Like?

jadot wrote:

Started well, but then you got a little bit cross.

Sensitive much?

I don't know why this question is upsetting people enough to feel compelled to tell me where to stick it!

You're the only one getting upset.

Does it matter how I shoot?

If you're shooting a lot of sports, perhaps the d600 with its faster framerate would have a slight edge. Landscapes? Maybe the d800 with its extra megapixels would have an edge. Lots of travel/banging the camera around a lot? Again, maybe the extra build quality of the d800 is more important.

(BTW, the answer's in my sig)

So, we're supposed to go do research on your shooting habits to answer a question for you?

I stick with my original suggestion: Keep the one you like more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads