FE 24-70 QC

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
FE 24-70 QC
8 months ago

I've had my 24-70 for a couple of weeks and I've been really pleased with the results I'm getting from it, while 24mm might be less than great the rest of the range is almost as good as my Nikon 24-70 f2.8, even at 70mm f4 its sharp enough.

so a friend of mine who also has an A7R bough a copy of the FE 24-70 but their copy wasn't nearly as sharp as mine, they sent it back and the replacement was even worse, they sent it back and tried one from another dealer and this one which arrived yesterday as a crazy decenterring effect, I tested all three on my A7R and he has tested my copy on his A7R.

what the heck is up with the QC on this 24-70, he like me has the 35 f2.8 and 55 f1.8 all of which are perfect.

My friend is now going to wait a month or two then order the lens again which might not be a bad idea given that the price has already dropped £80 from when I bought mine

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy Dan
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: FE 24-70 QC
In reply to LWS2013, 8 months ago

A lot of peple are complaining these days about the qc regarding the stabilized zooms. I've read this on the Canon forums (the 24-70 f4 is usm) and on the Fuji forums (18-55 f2.8-4 ois). There are really bad copies out there...I guess the demand can't be satisfied if good qc is prioritary And all that comming from Japanese brands who 30-40 years ago were fanatical about quality...

Andy Dan's gear list:Andy Dan's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?

I also had the identical problem with the 24-70. My copy looked pretty good until I started seeing a dcentering effect in the lower left at 70mm. Other people on the forums have had to get three copies before finally getting a good one. Personally I don't have the patience to deal with testing lenses any more I'm just taking it back. The 55mm that I purchased when it first came out also had a dcentering problem coupled with the worst manual focusing I ever had to use. The whole quality control issue is not only bad for Sony but also for Zeiss who has their name on these lenses. They need to correct this problem soon! I almost want to buy my lenses from a dealer or other source that has testing capabilities for the lenses they sell, the lens manufacturer should be doing this not us.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,323Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennishh, 8 months ago

Dennishh wrote:

I also had the identical problem with the 24-70. My copy looked pretty good until I started seeing a dcentering effect in the lower left at 70mm. Other people on the forums have had to get three copies before finally getting a good one. Personally I don't have the patience to deal with testing lenses any more I'm just taking it back. The 55mm that I purchased when it first came out also had a dcentering problem coupled with the worst manual focusing I ever had to use. The whole quality control issue is not only bad for Sony but also for Zeiss who has their name on these lenses. They need to correct this problem soon! I almost want to buy my lenses from a dealer or other source that has testing capabilities for the lenses they sell, the lens manufacturer should be doing this not us.

Maybe I'm missing something - how are you noticing this in the lower left? One usually uses a chart and focuses on the center, yes?

stevo23
Like?
In reply to Andy Dan, 8 months ago

Andy Dan wrote:

A lot of peple are complaining these days about the qc regarding the stabilized zooms. I've read this on the Canon forums (the 24-70 f4 is usm) and on the Fuji forums (18-55 f2.8-4 ois). There are really bad copies out there...I guess the demand can't be satisfied if good qc is prioritary And all that comming from Japanese brands who 30-40 years ago were fanatical about quality...

Yes, I've seen some lens testing places complain about decentering on the Canon 24-70 f/4. I think it was Photozone.de.

Dennishh
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 8 months ago

stevo23

Maybe I'm missing something - how are you noticing this in the lower left? One usually uses a chart and focuses on the center, yes?

No I focused on the lower left, WHAT????

Tim Ashly talks about this

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2014/3/the-sony-zeiss-vario-tessar-t-fe-24-70mm-f4-za-oss-hallelujah

This will help you figure out where to focus,

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/02/setting-up-an-optical-testing-station

Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,685Gear list
Like?

Dennishh wrote:

+1 and then the folks that hammer us for returning poor products that cost over a $1000 USD?...unbelievable, Sony get somebody over there to open their eyes and actually look at the quality of the $hite you are selling to good folks!

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,022Gear list
Like?

LWS2013 wrote:

I've had my 24-70 for a couple of weeks and I've been really pleased with the results I'm getting from it, while 24mm might be less than great the rest of the range is almost as good as my Nikon 24-70 f2.8, even at 70mm f4 its sharp enough.

so a friend of mine who also has an A7R bough a copy of the FE 24-70 but their copy wasn't nearly as sharp as mine, they sent it back and the replacement was even worse, they sent it back and tried one from another dealer and this one which arrived yesterday as a crazy decenterring effect, I tested all three on my A7R and he has tested my copy on his A7R.

what the heck is up with the QC on this 24-70, he like me has the 35 f2.8 and 55 f1.8 all of which are perfect.

My friend is now going to wait a month or two then order the lens again which might not be a bad idea given that the price has already dropped £80 from when I bought mine

two suggestions for your friend:

1. Wait at least a month

2. Order ONLY from the highest-volume seller in the UK - regardless of price

I'm convinced there was a bad first batch of lenses. Going back to the same dealer if he's a low-volume dealer doesn't help

Here in the USA, the best dealer with a phone number is B&H in New York. Their volume is mind-bending. If they had problem lenses in stock, they'll blow through them in days.

I'm going to order mine in April for a May trip. My 28-70 kit lens is better by far than some of the 24-70 samples I've seen. I never suspected Sony of bad copies all through the 16-50PZ discussions, but clearly there are with the lens.

Zeiss? Hah! The Tea Party loves to brand moderate Republicans as "RINOs" - Republicans In Name Only. This lens is a ZINO - Zeiss in name only.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

Here is a question for you. How.many of you have at least a little play in your lens barrel?

I tried three this weekend. All seems the same optically. One has a bit of movement in the front barrel however.

Finally for mine. Seems ok on my own testing. Looking to compare now to my 24-105

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?

Every time I buy a new Sony lens I always fear I'll get a bad copy. When I bought the SAL1650 f2.8 lens I had to change it a couple times before getting a good sharp copy. First one had horrible decentering and was very fuzzy on the left, second copy was better but still not great. Third copy of that lens was sharp all around.

When I bought the A7 with kit lens, first copy was very very soft at all focal length and aperture. Exchanged the camera and got another kit, this one was better but still a bit soft.

It's like a hit and miss with these lenses Is this only an issue with zoom lenses? I remember getting the SEL24 f1.8 lens when it first came out and it was excellent right out of the box. I just ordered the FE 55 f1.8 so hopefully it's good too. It's annoying dealing with exchanging and stuff

-- hide signature --

I only shoot JPEG =]

Dennishh
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 8 months ago

+1 and then the folks that hammer us for returning poor products that cost over a $1000 USD?...unbelievable, Sony get somebody over there to open their eyes and actually look at the quality of the $hite you are selling to good folks!

You can say that again, there always seems to be a resident expert who tries to profess that you know nothing and they know everything. It seems to me the point of this post was to point out and discuss the lack of quality control by Sony and other manufacturers. Over the years my general policy when buying lenses has been to order three lenses of the focal length I wanted and test each one of them against each other. It was quite obvious that there was always a winner in this test. The problem with the Sony FE lenses at this time is that it's almost impossible to order three of them because they're not available so I would tend to agree with the poster above that you have to wait six months before you even think about buying one of these lenses. Roger Cicala at lens rentals says "We’ve been testing exactly this way for several years, identifying 60 to 70 lenses a month as decentered. We retest all of those on an optical bench and rarely find one that was actually OK. In other words, the test is nearly 100% specific. If it says a lens is decentered, it’s almost certainly decentered." I wish that lens rentals would start selling its own lenses after testing, it would be worth it. I'm on my way to my dealer right now to get my second copy of the 24-70 FE  and will have to spend another two or three hours testing this one. I had been thinking of getting the 70-200 F4 Sony but now am having second thoughts.

brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449Gear list
Like?

I sent mine back to B&H after seeing the left side was a mess at at all apertures throughout the whole focal length range. My friend is sending his back for similar reasons, although his wasn't as bad as mine. I'm still waiting for the replacement, but I hope it will be better than the first. The center was really great though, the lens renders quite nicely, and the OSS worked well. It would make a great travel lens/setup if I can get one that has decent edge performance.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 8 months ago

two suggestions for your friend:

1. Wait at least a month

2. Order ONLY from the highest-volume seller in the UK - regardless of price

I'm convinced there was a bad first batch of lenses. Going back to the same dealer if he's a low-volume dealer doesn't help

Yep you're right here.

my first copy was bought the first week of release in Japan, and imported. It was a total dog - decentred on the whole right side of the frame.

my second copy was from the 'delayed' European batch, purchased through UKdigital, and its stella.

I won't be imoorting the 70-200 from Japan, I'll happily pay 20% more and get one from the UK a month later...

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
NomadMark
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, 8 months ago

NomadMark wrote:

Here is a question for you. How.many of you have at least a little play in your lens barrel?

I tried three this weekend. All seems the same optically. One has a bit of movement in the front barrel however.

Finally bought mine. Seems ok on my own testing. Looking to compare now to my 24-105

Seriously folks. Tolerance from barrel to barrel is cause for misalignment. Does anyone have a copy with at least a little plat in the front barrel when not extended, or even when extended?

Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,685Gear list
Like?

NomadMark wrote:

NomadMark wrote:

Finally bought mine. Seems ok on my own testing. Looking to compare now to my 24-105

Seriously folks. Tolerance from barrel to barrel is cause for misalignment. Does anyone have a copy with at least a little plat in the front barrel when not extended, or even when extended?

Mine has a little play, not near as much as my Panasonic 100-300 though...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

NomadMark
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 8 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

NomadMark wrote:

NomadMark wrote:

Mine has a little play, not near as much as my Panasonic 100-300 though...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Some will tell you that this will cause image problems. I have had lenses that did it too. My old Canon 15-85 had a lot of play. Many cheaper lenses do. Most manufacturers say it's normal. I find every brand will have variations lens to lens. My buddies 15-85 had no play. I tested 3 24-70's in Toronto this weekend and one has considerably more than the other two. Sorta creeps me out.

So...after playing with them all...I picked the one with the tightest lens barrel.

Dennishh
Like?

Just received my second copy of the 24-70 FE and without a doubt it is night and day better than the first one. Could be that Sony/Zeiss is now fixed the initial problems. My lens mount has hardly any play. Tomorrow I'll be testing the zoom against the 35mm 2.8 to see if I need to carry it in my bag at all, my guess is I don't.

NomadMark
Like?

Dennishh wrote:

Just received my second copy of the 24-70 FE and without a doubt it is night and day better than the first one. Could be that Sony/Zeiss is now fixed the initial problems. My lens mount has hardly any play. Tomorrow I'll be testing the zoom against the 35mm 2.8 to see if I need to carry it in my bag at all, my guess is I don't.

Play I am talking about is not at the mount, but between barrels.

35mm may not always be needed, no. In my opinion, the 24-70 performs really well at 35mm. My only beef, is that even a "good copy" will have rubbish corners at 24mm, even when stopped down. I think my Canon 24-105 does better by a fair amount (still not up to prime performance). However, the 24-105 is also much larger, and doesn't AF well on the A7r. The 24-70 is pretty great all around otherwise, especially when looking for a high quality package for travel. Personally, I don't put a lot of weigh on corner sharpness when using a zoom anyway so it's a small gripe. For critical work, it's just more encouragement to use my primes

Overall I am happy with mine. Can't tell you with 100% assurance weather it's a "good copy", but I think it's a fine lens. I can't wait to make some real picture with it.

Dennishh
Like?

Hey Mark, I'm not seeing any movement in the barrel of the lens at all. Overall performance with this new copy is stunning the edges at 24mm are not garbage but just slightly less sharp than the rest of the image.

stevo23
Like?
In reply to lowincash, 8 months ago

lowincash wrote:

Every time I buy a new Sony lens I always fear I'll get a bad copy. When I bought the SAL1650 f2.8 lens I had to change it a couple times before getting a good sharp copy. First one had horrible decentering and was very fuzzy on the left, second copy was better but still not great. Third copy of that lens was sharp all around.

When I bought the A7 with kit lens, first copy was very very soft at all focal length and aperture. Exchanged the camera and got another kit, this one was better but still a bit soft.

It's like a hit and miss with these lenses

Is this only an issue with zoom lenses?

No, but yes. I've only experienced in zooms and the reason is simple - too many moving parts. Primes have much less happening, so the tolerances are easier to maintain.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads