Buy or pass on V3? Poll.

Started 9 months ago | Polls
azotor
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Re: I voted 2
In reply to rhlpetrus, 9 months ago

sounds like a speed machine but the pricing is an issue.
I bought V1 the first time it was released but the price jumped water of surprises.

Wait until the price goes down this time.

azotor's gear list:azotor's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nung
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: Buy or pass on V3? Poll.
In reply to peter42y, 9 months ago

peter42y wrote:

Nung wrote:

myzel wrote:

Steve Krone wrote:

… Don't understand how so many can be trashing a new product introduced for less than 8 hours!

It's fun. Trash it before anybody can prove you wrong with real world experience and images

In the end it's just a camera. Those who buy it will have their reasons and probably use it to take pictures. Just like anybody else who bought a camera.

From another point of view, trashing it is actually pretty good. Let's spread the rumour that N1 is really really crap........ Ooops too late! Ok so just call it V3 is really really crap! Since people nowadays only loves to pass on "information" but without actually finding it out the truth for themselves. Most people won't even bother picking one up at all, so the sales is not what they'd expect, forcing Nikon to drop their price quicker than they'd want. By the time it gets to X'mas, would probably have dropped 30% in price, making it an attractivebuy......... Wakakakaka (evil llaugh) XD!!!!

This is what did happen with the EOS-M. The camera is awesome.., but initial reviews trashed it. After looking some pictures shot with it...,and watching the video about the maligned autofocus that according to reviews was too slow.., I jumped the ship and I could not have been hapier.

On the contrary the autofocus of the nikon D5100 in live view..,sucks and the camera got high ratings.

Really? From what I heard it's AF sucks big time! That's from actually users rather than the "professional reviewers". Anyway it looks good but without a VF, it's just not an option for me.

Nikon's DSLR live view is pointless. Never use it. Slow, lacks, hunts.......... absolutely terrible.

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vlasty, 9 months ago

You didn't have my option, which is keep my V2 and wait until I can convince my wife that I need the 70-300mm. Joking aside though, I still am very content with the V2 and will pick up the super telephoto lens next year.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
NexMan
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
In reply to iamthenewguy, 9 months ago

It's kinda funny, so many users wanting a V3 before the announcement yesterday yet the majority of comments so far said they won't buy one until it goes on clearance.  It appears Nikon's pricing has shot themselves in the foot again...

ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 415Gear list
Like?

If IQ is a celar step up from the V1 I will be tempted. My 32mm is ready for a sensor really showing this lens`potential. And if Nikon releases fast mid range zooms and a super fast 35mm equivalent prime, I`ll be in.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Leica M9 Nikon Df
Nung
Like?

Vlasty wrote:

They don't look terribly bad when compared to the V2. to me they look about the same. Some samples show some major noise reduction which I would expect. Just not a big improvement over the V2. Guess we really won't know till we get some RAWS to play with.

I think everyone is just hoping for a miracle, that somehow the V3 will have superior noise performance! But 1" sensor is 1" sensor, it will never match the DSLR performance. It'll always have limitations. The noise performance of the V1 is already way ahead of the M4/3 when they were first launched and that's with a bigger sensor. So in a few years time, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the N1 can match the DX of today, but then people would compare with the DX/FX of the same period and complain about noise issue. Bottom line is, CX, DX & FX are all marked for different sector of the market. Even if they could match the CX with the FX, they wouldn't have done it. FX will always better the DX and the DX will always better the CX.

From the limited sample, the noise performance does look better then the V1 (I don't consider the V2 as an upgrade in anyway). At ISO6400, looks to me, it's better than the V1's ISO3200, so quite a bit of improvement IMO. Would also like to see more high ISO photos to see how much is the improvement!

Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
Nung
Like?
Re: Pass
In reply to jim yeats, 9 months ago

jim yeats wrote:

I just got a 6.7-13 lens so I'm committed to the N1. I'm sure I will get the V3 when I can just get the body and viewfinder. I have no need for the lens or grip.

X1

My only beef with the V3 is the micro-SD card. Only just bought a fast SD card from Toshiba a few months ago. Also the speed of the micro-SD is comparatively slow at the moment. But must admit micro-SD is definitely the future.

Vlasty
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Did the V3 lose the mechanical shutter?

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/14/nikon-1-v3-vs-v2-specifications-comparison.aspx/#more-74136

Reading the comparison between the V2 and V3 there is no mention of continuous mechanical shutter mode for the V3, as well as TTL flash abilities.

Vlasty's gear list:Vlasty's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony QX1 Nikon 1 V1 +15 more
DaveR43
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: Did the V3 lose the mechanical shutter?

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/14/nikon-1-v3-vs-v2-specifications-comparison.aspx/#more-74136

Reading the comparison between the V2 and V3 there is no mention of continuous mechanical shutter mode for the V3, as well as TTL flash abilities.

From the specifications:

Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focalplane mechanical shutter; electronic shutter

Both, as per V1 and V2.
--
DaveR

DaveR43's gear list:DaveR43's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D70 Nikon D80 Nikon D300S Nikon 1 V1 +11 more
Vlasty
Like?
Re: Did the V3 lose the mechanical shutter?
In reply to DaveR43, 9 months ago

Thx

Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony QX1 Nikon 1 V1 +15 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
Re: picture of the shutter mechanism

http://www.nikon-asia.com/en_Asia/product/nikon-1/nikon-1-v3#features/3

Select 3. Superior Operability and scroll down a bit. There is a nice picture of the shutter assembly.

"Nikon 1 V3 is equipped with a mechanical shutter tested to 100,000 cycles — long-lasting durability you can rely on shot after shot."

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,647Gear list
Like?
Re: picture of the shutter mechanism
In reply to myzel, 9 months ago

Thats good, I had also read it that there was no mechanical shutter.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
jonathanj
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?

Current V1 user. I will never again buy any interchangeable lens camera that does not include a built in EVF. I strongly doubt I will buy a camera in the next 5 years that does not take SD cards, but this is an irritant rather than a deal breaker.

That doesn't mean I don't think the V3 is a good camera for other people, it's just personally I don't want one. I would get a V2 if I find one for a bargain ($300 or less), but otherwise I will not buy any more Nikon products until they release another camera with a built in EVF. If my V1 breaks before that happens I won't replace it.

I just don't think Nikon and I see eye to eye on what a camera should do. No big problem, there are other camera companies out there!

jonathanj's gear list:jonathanj's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake +3 more
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?
In reply to NexMan, 9 months ago

NexMan wrote:

It's kinda funny, so many users wanting a V3 before the announcement yesterday yet the majority of comments so far said they won't buy one until it goes on clearance.

Noone wanted a V3 without integrated EVF, not to mention Micro SD. That kind of makes it a J4, not a V3 in my opinion.

It appears Nikon's pricing has shot themselves in the foot again...

Price is not my problem, the camera is. It is the camera that Nikon shot themselves in the foot with. A camera without integrated EVF and Micro SD is not my camera and it doesn't matter at what price level Nikon intends to sell it or where it will end up by the end of this year.

jc1962
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

Buy.  I will try the EVF first just to make sure I can see clearly and if so I will buy.

jc1962's gear list:jc1962's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus E-M1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
D2300? Re: Same boat.

Vlasty wrote:

I have been waffling on the A6000 and the rumored mirrorless d2300. The A6000 seems to fit most of my requirements but hesitant on buying into the E mount. Don't want to waste money on APS-C lenses anymore. Guess I could get an A7 but just not enough full frame lenses available, and would lose continous focus. D2300 may fit the bill depending on size and EVF hot shoe configuration. I have a few months to stew before my next vacation.

Which D2300?

Re Sony, my issue with them is the constant changes in lines. Will they suppor what they have started for long? I think m43 has a larger userbase and two companies behind it, with lots of lenses to choose from.

Re APS-C Nikkors lenses, the last I got was the 12-24 f/4 back in 2009. Not a bad lens, but not great either.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
nigelht
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: They had me and then.....
In reply to BarnET, 9 months ago

BarnET wrote:

Your an idiot gm1 spits out great video quality like all Panasonic's. And then the kit lens Of the one won't take an ND filter. So good luck dropping your shutter speed to 1/60th outdoors.

The GM1 is one of the few cameras that can stack up with the Nikon 1 in terms of video quality because it too does full pixel readout and pixel mix vs line skips.  Assuming that you want to shoot 1080p/30 rather than 1080p/60.  Both cams have a video time limit that the BMCC doesn't.

While I like the 12-35 f2.8 And I'd probably take the 10-30PD sight unseen over the 14-42mm PZ which was a bit buggy for some.  Not saying the 10-30PD can't be buggy but all the Nikon 1 lenses have been pretty awesome.  And I (probably) prefer the zoom control over the small rocker on the 14-42mm.

I'd rather have the auto lens cap that I'd use every time vs the ND filter I've never had to use to shoot video.

The GM1 is a nice camera but I use 10 fps all the time and would readily use 20 fps in the V3.  I also use the full frame still while taking video option a lot.

And if you're going to call someone an idiot it is "you're an idiot" not "your an idiot".  I'm not fond of grammar police but I'm also not fond of people who can't carry a civil conversation either.

Vlasty
Like?
Re: D2300? Re: Same boat.
In reply to rhlpetrus, 9 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

Vlasty wrote:

I have been waffling on the A6000 and the rumored mirrorless d2300. The A6000 seems to fit most of my requirements but hesitant on buying into the E mount. Don't want to waste money on APS-C lenses anymore. Guess I could get an A7 but just not enough full frame lenses available, and would lose continous focus. D2300 may fit the bill depending on size and EVF hot shoe configuration. I have a few months to stew before my next vacation.

Which D2300?

Re Sony, my issue with them is the constant changes in lines. Will they suppor what they have started for long? I think m43 has a larger userbase and two companies behind it, with lots of lenses to choose from.

Re APS-C Nikkors lenses, the last I got was the 12-24 f/4 back in 2009. Not a bad lens, but not great either.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Pretty close to my opinions on my switch. I agree Sony does not have a good history with their full frame lines and future support. However, I think that that the E mount will be around and finally has some legs...wobbly ones but legs none the less. Micro four thirds I have much less faith in than Sony which isn't saying much. Living in Japan we are constantly bombarded with Panasonic and Olympus financials and their footing seems much less assured than Sony's in my opinion. I like the option of having full frame lens options and am doing my best from this point on to future proof myself as much as is feasible to an eventual full frame purchase and or resale value if necessary.

Just very frustrated in the route the V3 has taken, but the 1 series has done an amazing job in fostering my interest in photography and learning its in and outs.

tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,522
Like?

The only positive interest in the V3 has been from those with N1 already, or diehard Nikonians.

With a slew of better specced, cheaper alternatives out there I cannot see many new N1 users coming as a result of V3.

I know many sneer at Sony, but the a6000 (if it lives up to the first reviews) does almost everything better than V3 at a much lower price. If I am wrong, please tell me something the V3 is better at.

Everything, that is, except compact telephoto, or using Nikon lenses with FT1 and that is why I will be keeping my V1.

tom

JJB7
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, 9 months ago

Agreed.  Dramatically better IQ is easily the #1 must-have for me.

The overall technology packed into this camera looks amazing, and the design, incl optional grip, looks great too - even though I prefer an integrated EVF.   From what I read, the build quality feels high quality and solid, better than V2.   It's been a long wait since I bought the V1, and I'm ready for a major N1-V upgrade.  Wish Nikon would take a couple hundred $ off the price, and while they're at it, sell the body separately (ie, here in USA), but I doubt they will ever again offer blow-out prices like they did on the V1.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads