XF 85-300mm f2.7-3.7?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,606
Like?
XF 85-300mm f2.7-3.7?
8 months ago

What do you all think of this?

http://www.fujirumors.com/patent-xf-fast-super-telephoto-zoom-lens-85-300mm-f2-7-3-7/

If it ever comes it'll certainly be amazing, but also one big-ass lens with a filter size of at least 82mm.

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,506Gear list
Like?
Re: XF 85-300mm f2.7-3.7?
In reply to dotborg, 8 months ago

dotborg wrote:

http://www.fujirumors.com/patent-xf-fast-super-telephoto-zoom-lens-85-300mm-f2-7-3-7/

If it ever comes it'll certainly be amazing, but also one big-ass lens with a filter size of at least 82mm.

Nice lens but wrong system. I would prefer to see some small primes. Where is the sense in putting a large lens on a small camera that can't capture action. If I want that I would use a DSLR.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dotborg
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 8 months ago

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

dotborg wrote:

Nice lens but wrong system. I would prefer to see some small primes. Where is the sense in putting a large lens on a small camera that can't capture action. If I want that I would use a DSLR.

Well, the point is for wildlife (among other things). Also, the X-T1 can capture action, it's just not as fully-featured as a pro DLSR. Anyway, Fujifilm already has a "super telephoto zoom lens" on their XF lens roadmap. Whether or not it's this design remains to be seen.

Corwin Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?

Rather see a more compact telephoto zoom 70-300 F4.5-5.6 or 100-400 F5.6.

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 958Gear list
Like?

Nah, I agree with the others.  I don't see the point either.
If you're inclined to carry massive equipment like that to shoot birds, wildlife, or sports, you may as well get a DSLR.  Using a heavier DSLR isn't going to change the weight of your camera bag too much anyway.   For now, they're better for tasks that typically require such lenses.

I suppose it's a smart idea though.  If these Fujis end up being as good as DSLRs at AF, and an EVF will allow users to track subjects as well as the OVF of a DSLR, then it'll be seen as a smart, progressive move.  However, right now, it's not necessary for the X-series.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, 8 months ago

it's called progress and it's a very smart move by Fuji if it happens. It's not a lens I would consider but it will make the a Fuji system a well rounded and appealing prospect, especially as many predict the flappy mirror is on the way to extinction in the near future.

Andy Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562
Like?
What would it be used for?

Too short for most birding, maybe just OK for larger wildlife, perhaps some sports if it can AF fast enough.    Doesn't quite make sense for me but I may be missing something.

-- hide signature --
dotborg
Like?
Re: What would it be used for?
In reply to Andy Wilson, 8 months ago

Andy Wilson wrote:

Too short for most birding, maybe just OK for larger wildlife, perhaps some sports if it can AF fast enough. Doesn't quite make sense for me but I may be missing something.

What's the Canon 100-400 for? What's the Nikon 80-400 for?

SirPalomid
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

Seems too short for birding and such... I would prefer 100-400 at least, and f3.7 is nice thing, but lens is going to be huge... 100-400/4-4.8 option is much better (and smaller/lighter, I think).

SirPalomid's gear list:SirPalomid's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Just a Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

dotborg wrote:

-- hide signature --

You definately did not use the X-T1 yet.
Its fully capable of captioning moving objects at fast pace.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
dotborg
Like?
In reply to SirPalomid, 8 months ago

SirPalomid wrote:

Seems too short for birding and such... I would prefer 100-400 at least, and f3.7 is nice thing, but lens is going to be huge... 100-400/4-4.8 option is much better (and smaller/lighter, I think).

It would be larger.

MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?

To be honest, I would rather see a 100-400mm lens as others have suggested. 85-300mm is too close a focal range to the already existent 55-200mm and 50-230mm.

However, if I read the patent description right, the lens is suppose to keep up the maximum apperture of F2.7 zoomed in at least until 180mm. This basically makes it a fast portrait zoom and a 300mm F4 prime all in one. If it's not more than twice as heavy as the 55-200mm this could be a very interesting option.

And because I use such long FLs only occassionally, I'd rather buy this lens than a DSLR-system where I need to not only shell out for a lens but for an extra camera as well. TO each his own, I guess.

Best,

Mike

-- hide signature --

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 Apple iPad Mini Wi-Fi
Andy Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562
Like?
Re: What would it be used for?

Well I used my Canon 100-400 on a 20D mostly for birding, it was just about long enough when my 'stalking' skills were up to the task or the birds were large enough or for various reasons not too skittish.  I'm thinking that a 300 would be a little short for that on APS-C.  Zoo work and I guess some safari stuff when they drive you up close might work.

I guess it would be long enough to cover a fair amount of a sports field, though you do see a lot of longer lenses.

I'm just curious about that primary uses of that range.

-- hide signature --
Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,888Gear list
Like?

Canon 100-400IS was one of my go to lenses.  I'll buy this one in a heartbeat if it has similar IQ.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?

Thde XT1 is now reasonably capable for action as I can state from my experience with the 200mm the AF is fast and I get at lest 80% razor sharp keeprers with birds, bycicles, horses, children, dogs Yes it's nit a 1Dx but bursts are now more than usable

As a user of an old Nikkor 300mm 3DIF I would be delighted to get this hyperzoom

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
Like?
In reply to Daniel Lauring, 8 months ago

same for me ! I'm confident about IQ since nearly all XF lenses have very good IQ

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
cnmne
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
In reply to baobob, 8 months ago

I'd much rather see a more compact and affordable 200-400mm to complement the 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

cnmne's gear list:cnmne's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, 8 months ago

Not me...I would rather have the speed.  This is not the length of lens I would take to Disneyland, but more akin to a hike or sporting event.  But knowing Fuji, a compact cheaper lens will be forthcoming.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Conrad567
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, 8 months ago

I really don't want to have more than one system anymore.  This would allow me to finally dump the D700 collecting dust 90% of the time.

Conrad567's gear list:Conrad567's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
baobob
Like?
In reply to cnmne, 8 months ago

I think with a 300mm if you want to get a decent AF you need a big aperture 3.7 is a reasonnable compromise between size weight AF performance ... and price

As a souvenir my canon 100-400mm was hopeless at f5.6 and 400mm for AF when light started to be dim ...

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads