Bad Hangovers from Film Days?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
Bad Hangovers from Film Days?
9 months ago

I used to love film.  Now I can't believe many of us worked that way.  However, I think most digital cameras still have features that were more relevant to film than digital.  What feature on current cameras is still a hangover from the film days?  Let me start by nominating Auto Exposure Bracketing.  I used to do it all the time with film.  With RAW capabilities now, it's just a bad joke.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
Re: Bad Hangovers from Film Days?
In reply to bruxi, 9 months ago

I beg to differ.    +/- 3 stops bracketing can be very useful.    Also, many people use bracketing for HDR.   There are also quite a few JPEG shooters who will rather bracket, pick the best one and never bother with RAW and post-processing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, 9 months ago

scorrpio wrote:

I beg to differ. +/- 3 stops bracketing can be very useful. Also, many people use bracketing for HDR. There are also quite a few JPEG shooters who will rather bracket, pick the best one and never bother with RAW and post-processing.

That's fine - any features on your camera that where much handier for film?

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809Gear list
Like?

Raw + AEB = synergistic delight... It beats film flat.

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D.
Enjoy Free-Viewing Colorful 3D Without Glasses:- http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,704Gear list
Like?
Someone will say ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, & EV...

I remember using early digital cameras that didn't have those adjustments, it instead had video settings like "Gain"...it was a lot harder to get the right exposure without a test shot. But because modern cameras do have those standard settings like film cameras do I can set them and know I have a perfect exposure without having to chimp, or even look at a light meter.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,528Gear list
Like?

bruxi wrote:

I used to love film. Now I can't believe many of us worked that way. However, I think most digital cameras still have features that were more relevant to film than digital. What feature on current cameras is still a hangover from the film days? Let me start by nominating Auto Exposure Bracketing. I used to do it all the time with film. With RAW capabilities now, it's just a bad joke.

I use it if I want to do HDR, but otherwise I don't use it the way I did when I shot on slide film.

Mark

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,528Gear list
Like?

bruxi wrote:

scorrpio wrote:

I beg to differ. +/- 3 stops bracketing can be very useful. Also, many people use bracketing for HDR. There are also quite a few JPEG shooters who will rather bracket, pick the best one and never bother with RAW and post-processing.

That's fine - any features on your camera that where much handier for film?

My EOS A2 had an option to leave the leader out of the film when I rewound it - very handy if I wanted to change to a different film speed or from color to b/w in the middle of a roll. No such feature needed on a digital body

Mark

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,627Gear list
Like?

Only when I drank the developer.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +11 more
Pantyhose Bandit
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?

A shutter. We don't need one of those old fangled mechanical devices any more. I see no reason why if we need a shutter that we can't have an LCD shutter.

I don't see why we're stuck to set apertures and shutter speeds either or set ISOs.

I'm not sure why cameras have to have a "camera" shape. Surely a handgrip shape like a palmcorder would be easier to use?

Why is the digital film format oblong when square is the choice of the professional?

Pantyhose Bandit's gear list:Pantyhose Bandit's gear list
Leica S2 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Brother MFC-J6910dw Echo One File Juicer Vertu Ti +2 more
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545
Like?
All I don't have.

My film camera has no AE, no exposure compensation, no bracketing, one frame at a time shooting with a manually re-cocked  shutter,  no EXIF,  no purple fringing, no green cast,  no dead pixels, no oil spills,  no firmware updates, no freezing, no restarts, no waiting,  no jammed buffer, no problem storage cards...dead batteries depending on chargers,  missing files, colors that make no sense, lines that make no sense, incompatible files...no high ISO capability, no Wi-Fi, no GPS, no pop up flash, no image stabilization, no 1.2 lenses, haha no 1.8 or 2.0 lenses either. No LCD screen, no WB, no programmed sequences,  no AF, no focus assist, no face recognition software to tell me that that's a face in the viewfinder...

...wow my kit has none of those things, and I am positive there are others.  Everyone else is so lucky.

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,341Gear list
Like?
The Body.

In an age where a lens only needs a Bluetooth Chip
to record the shot to a gadget; all it needs is some controls.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?

I've never used AEB, so can't comment on that (I agree that it's less necessary, but also understand that it can be handy for jpeg shooters and for HDR).

Biggest silly carry over is ... the name. What, exactly, are we distinguishing digital "single lens" reflex from ? Digital TLRs ?

I suppose you could make an argument for fake shutter sounds on compacts.

Really, I can't think of much of anything on my DSLR that isn't relevant to digital.

Mike_PEAT
Like?
More has to do with shape of hands...
In reply to Ron Poelman, 9 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

Try to hold just 500mm lens steady without a body...I can hold a dSLR with 500mm lens down to 1/50th without IS.

Lytro Light Field 16GB
Mike_PEAT
Like?
Until you've used an electronic shutter!
In reply to Pantyhose Bandit, 9 months ago

Pantyhose Bandit wrote:

A shutter. We don't need one of those old fangled mechanical devices any more. I see no reason why if we need a shutter that we can't have an LCD shutter.

First off you can't use flash with electronic shutters. Second, you get "rolling" artifacts with moving subjects. See the following page on a discussion with sample images:
http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2012/12/gh3-electronic-shutter.html

Lytro Light Field 16GB
hdr
hdr
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 9 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Only when I drank the developer.

You would then be gleefully accepted for the lead role in "The Hulk"...

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D.
Enjoy Free-Viewing Colorful 3D Without Glasses:- http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,341Gear list
Like?
and every self respecting Pirate ...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 9 months ago

can hold an enormous telescope with two hands on a rolling deck,
all it needs is a shutter button on top.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
hdr
hdr
Like?
Re: More has to do with shape of hands...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 9 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Ron Poelman wrote:

Try to hold just 500mm lens steady without a body...I can hold a dSLR with 500mm lens down to 1/50th without IS.

A pistol grip fixed to the middle part of a long tele (without camera body) can up the stability no end too...

-- hide signature --

--

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,770
Like?
Re: The Body.
In reply to Ron Poelman, 9 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

These could be on your phone or tablet, as in the Sony cameras that are for use with a phone.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,770
Like?

bruxi wrote:

I used to love film. Now I can't believe many of us worked that way. However, I think most digital cameras still have features that were more relevant to film than digital. What feature on current cameras is still a hangover from the film days? Let me start by nominating Auto Exposure Bracketing. I used to do it all the time with film. With RAW capabilities now, it's just a bad joke.

The obvious holdover from film is the use of a reflex viewfinder in some cameras.

Aaron Corey
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

I think the way that ISO is handled on a lot of cameras is kind of a hangover from film. For example, a lot of cameras still don't let you do ISO-based exposure compensation in manual mode (although maybe that's starting to change with some manufacturers).  Also, on my T3 and 60D, I can watch the exposure meter change in real time when I change my shutter speed and aperture.  But when I hit the ISO button, the ISO selection menu takes over the screen (so the meter's not visible in the back or top LCDs anymore), so I sometimes have to change my ISO several times to get the meter reading I want.

It seems like Canon sees ISO as something that doesn't need to be  changed that often - select the ISO you want and then shoot a bunch of shots at that same ISO (like selecting a roll of film and then shooting a series of shots on that roll).  But now that everything's electronic, ISO is just another variable that can change from shot to shot.  So in my opinion, ISO should have equal status to the shutter speed and aperture (i.e. a there should be a third dial to quickly change the ISO).  I think some mirrorless cameras already have this ability now, so maybe some of the manufacturers are realizing that not all photographers want their digital cameras to act like film cameras.

Aaron Corey's gear list:Aaron Corey's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads