Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to Lightshow, 4 months ago

Lightshow wrote:

I ordered one of these from ebay. If the 35mm 2.0 ssc is any indication then I expect this lens to be stellar

The SSC 24/2.8 should do you very well, it was pin sharp on my NEX-7, and the corners looked good on my A7r

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures, but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11. From the two samples posted, they seem near-perfect stopped down, even on an A7r ... a lot of fun for around $70.

Pin sharp on a NEX-7 is also promising, as the lens should comfortably double up as a 35mm (equiv) lens in APS-C crop mode on an A7r. Quite useful.

Hmmm... I may also have to get me one, I can sense a price rise coming.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
newyorkcity
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon FDn 24mm Sample
In reply to Tim Devine, 4 months ago

I really like the Canon 24mm f/2.8! I have seen FD 24mm f/2.8, FDn 24mm f/2.8 and FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC but what is the difference between these?

How is the Canon FD 24mm f/1.4 L compared to these lenses?

newyorkcity's gear list:newyorkcity's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +1 more
osv
osv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,395
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 4 months ago

seachicken2000 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

I ordered one of these from ebay. If the 35mm 2.0 ssc is any indication then I expect this lens to be stellar

The SSC 24/2.8 should do you very well, it was pin sharp on my NEX-7, and the corners looked good on my A7r

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures, but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11.

same here, there aren't too many situations where i would want to shoot 2.8 on a 24mm lens, and even if i did, i have 24's that would probably be a better choice.

so i was kinda surprised at this fdn 24mm pic, that i mistakenly shot at 2.8... there is a plane of focus through part of the bag that looks fairly sharp.

ooc jpeg, killing time with a cracker bag under pressure at 6,500 ft:

-- hide signature --

dan

Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 902Gear list
Like?
In reply to newyorkcity, 4 months ago

First came the plain 24mm f/2.8, then the SSC version, then the FDn version.  The SSC version has super spectra coating, as does the FDn.  The filter size is different between the FDn and FD versions.  The way they mount is also slightly different.

I think the SSC and FDn versions are the more sought after.  I can't tell you much more than that and I don't know much about the 1.4 version.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

I really like the Canon 24mm f/2.8! I have seen FD 24mm f/2.8, FDn 24mm f/2.8 and FD 24mm f/2.8 SSC but what is the difference between these?

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
Tim Devine
Like?
Another Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8 Sample

Sony a7R
Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
1/200 @ f/11 (ISO 100)

Still amazes me...

-Tim

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,595Gear list
Like?
Absolutely…….
In reply to KwhyChang, 4 months ago

KwhyChang wrote:

NomadMark wrote:

JeffGo wrote:

I am using the aforementioned Canon 24 f2.8 with the Metabones III, as recommended by forum users. This is the sharpest option per DxO and I have done some testing to verify the corners. It is reasonably light since the lens is mostly plastic. Nice to have IS and somewhat usable AF although manual focus is quite fast. I haven't had a chance to get out to do some real world landscapes yet.

According to DXO test 24-70L II pretty much has the same sharpness of 24/2.8 IS @24mm but it's zoom with flexibility to use any FL till 70mm although it's relative big/heavy.

24-70L II on A7R @70mm, Prague, Czech Republic

24-70L II on A7R @33mm, Budapest, Hungary

24-70L II CA is very well-controlled but has some vignetting at wide open that can be fixed easily.

The Zeiss Biogon 25mm zf.2 or ze is another option. It is quite a bit heavier since it has the typical Zeiss construction, works well on the MBIII so you get aperture control with the Canon version. DxO rates this as not quite as sharp.

both of these options will require CA fixes in post but that's pretty easy with LR.

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration. On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

I can pretty consistently shoot sharp shots on my 24 is usm at shutter speeds of 1/3.

And the prime is sharper, lighter, smaller and IMO a better choice for the A7/R at 24mm than any EF zoom.

-- hide signature --

Dave

I bought (and ultimately returned) the 2.8 24-70 II.  What a lump that lens was ( on a 5D3).

Can't imagine using it on an A7R is that much fun.

I probably had a bad copy but I was not impressed vis-a-vis my 24 - 105.

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,468Gear list
Like?
24-70L/2.8 II on A7R
In reply to DFPanno, 4 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

NomadMark wrote:

JeffGo wrote:

I am using the aforementioned Canon 24 f2.8 with the Metabones III, as recommended by forum users. This is the sharpest option per DxO and I have done some testing to verify the corners. It is reasonably light since the lens is mostly plastic. Nice to have IS and somewhat usable AF although manual focus is quite fast. I haven't had a chance to get out to do some real world landscapes yet.

According to DXO test 24-70L II pretty much has the same sharpness of 24/2.8 IS @24mm but it's zoom with flexibility to use any FL till 70mm although it's relative big/heavy.

24-70L II on A7R @70mm, Prague, Czech Republic

24-70L II on A7R @33mm, Budapest, Hungary

24-70L II CA is very well-controlled but has some vignetting at wide open that can be fixed easily.

The Zeiss Biogon 25mm zf.2 or ze is another option. It is quite a bit heavier since it has the typical Zeiss construction, works well on the MBIII so you get aperture control with the Canon version. DxO rates this as not quite as sharp.

both of these options will require CA fixes in post but that's pretty easy with LR.

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration. On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

I can pretty consistently shoot sharp shots on my 24 is usm at shutter speeds of 1/3.

And the prime is sharper, lighter, smaller and IMO a better choice for the A7/R at 24mm than any EF zoom.

@KwhyChang: Did you actually check the DXO test that show 24-70L/2.8 II virtually tied with 24/2.8 IS prime @24mm. Let's check detail DXO field sharpness test @24mm and f/5.6. It actually shows 24-70L/2.8 II even slightly edges out 24/2.8 IS, believe or not. All reviews and owners know two Canon F2.8 zoom, 24-70L/2.8 II and 70-200L/2.8 IS II can rival Canon L primes in respective FL ranges except L primes are still better in bokeh (only slightly) and some primes have faster aperture.

-- hide signature --

Dave

I bought (and ultimately returned) the 2.8 24-70 II. What a lump that lens was ( on a 5D3).

It must be case that you had a lemon copy as all creditable reviews such as DXO (a peerless performer on its word) and Lensrentals rated this zoom the best 24-70 or 24-xxx zoom ever, and can rival primes.

My last visit in the Cape Town with this zoom on 5D3 so you can judge its sharpness, macro contrast and colors. I have no complaints.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55485085@N04/sets/72157635540597333/

Can't imagine using it on an A7R is that much fun.

Not a fun from perspective of size/weight although not bad at all. But do I have a better option from a zoom? From what I have seen FE 24-70 has no match.

24/2.8 IS on 5D3 vs 24-70L II on 5D3 vs FE 24-70 on A7R

Now added FE 24-70 in above DXO test. 24-70L II on 22mp 5D3 has 18 mpix vs FE 24-70 on 36mp A7R only has 15 mpix that is unacceptable. FE 24-70 is not good at 24mm and 70mm. Unfortunately I use two ends most with 24-70L II or 24-105L IS so its poor performance at both ends is a deal breaker to me.

I probably had a bad copy but I was not impressed vis-a-vis my 24 - 105.

24-70L II is much better than 24-105L that I also have a good copy, noticeable difference at center even stop down, and head and shoulder difference in edges/corners. Much much less distortion at 24mm.

A few more samples from 24-70L II on A7R. I am pretty satisfied and it's not bad to carry with. Size/weight actually is not my main issue with this combo but AF speed thru Metabones III adapter. That's why in good light I still use it on 5D3 most. One of my options in the future is waiting 6D II, and hope it's further smaller/lighter than current 6D and of course Canon then has a much better sensor. 6D II with L lenses under good light and for AF speed while A7R for tripod work that can share set of Canon lenses.

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest, Hungary

Budapest, Hungary

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,427Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 4 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

How fast of a lens are you looking for, and at what aperture do you expect vignetting to be gone?

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well. Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too. By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners. CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio. I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

What options are there for the A7R in the 24mm range that isnt affected by vignetting?

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 with the novoflex adapter but I'm curious what options there are with other adapters along with this 1 (M mount) if there are any.

I use the Canon FDn 24mm f2. Excellent, but I use it only because I've owned it since the late 1980s/early 1990s (don't remember when). Quite good, but I cover 28mm f3.5 with my A7 kit lens. I use a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro as my main wide lens - when I shoot wide, I want really wide.

Mel - how do you like that Tokina? I know Ken Rockwell likes it and his sample images are quite good. But then, he's not used it on an A7.

I have used it on the A7 for just a few shots, under the worst possible setting last week - ISO 2000 at a badly lit bowling alley. Below is one:

Because people on the edges of the frame were moving, and the shutter speed was really low, even for a wide angle, look at the static people, chalkboard etc. I think under landscape settings, it will be very good.

It is not a cheap lens - I saw them going for around $400 on eBay. And make sure no one crapped up the AF/MF clutch - a lot of people didn't know how to use it and forced it. It should make a definite "clunk" as it switches mode.

Also - you MUST use a thin B&W or other polarizing filter on it, and most lens shades will vignette on it. I lost mine and have had difficulty finding one that doesn't vignette full frame

Real bowling!

I really like it's angle of view and I could swear that it's lacking much distortion.

I do notice some CAs being coaxed out that light in the upper right - is this typical, or is it more noticeable on the A7?

Amazing you noted the absence of distortion - my girlfriend, who's traveled with me for 10 years, mad the same observation vs. my Tokina 11-16 on my D7000, and the 16mm/UWA on my NEX-6.

You are right on both scores - the lens is low in distortion, but wide open, has CA, mostly on the right side. I was in a hurry to upload the bowling (and other) images from her birthday party last week, and because the lens was "new to me"on FF, I didn't think to look for it.

Here's one from today, shot at f5.6. The only lens test I saw was one on photozone.de on an APS-C, and they observed that f5.6 was the sweet spot, with low drop off at smaller f-stops

Glueing room at Schwabb Mill, Arlington MA antique frame factory

The performance of this lens, plus its ability to take a polarizing filter (albeit 77mm) means I am not likely to buy the Samyang 14mm very quickly. I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

The absence of distortion is exciting for my cathedral/synagogue/mosque interiors, which I love. It also means I can shoot people all the way to the corners of my 17mm, which I could not do with my 11-16mm Tokina, which distorts worse than my 16mm/UWA (which is why that zoom will go up for sale soon)

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353Gear list
Like?

newyorkcity wrote:

Faster obviously, the f1.4 version has an aspherical element to better correct coma and distortion.

i wouldn't really say its an ideal landscape lens as the extreme corners on the slower lenses will probably be better, but for shooting an event it is great.

more info:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/earlyfdlenses/24mmfd.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/24mm.htm#f2.8

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fd/17-35.html

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/nfd/fisheye-35.html

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Lightshow
Like?

seachicken2000 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures,

better than you'd think, my SSC 24/2.8 & 24/1.4  are both sharp wide open, the corners improve as you stop down

but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11. From the two samples posted, they seem near-perfect stopped down, even on an A7r ... a lot of fun for around $70.

Pin sharp on a NEX-7 is also promising,

I have samples in my flicker feed, they should be taged.

as the lens should comfortably double up as a 35mm (equiv) lens in APS-C crop mode on an A7r. Quite useful.

The 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 85/1.8 are nearly the same size, they make a very nice trio.

-- hide signature --

Tim Devine
Like?
Last one I'll post, again Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8

Sony a7R
Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
1/3 @ f/11 (ISO 100)

-Tim

stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 4 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

How fast of a lens are you looking for, and at what aperture do you expect vignetting to be gone?

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well. Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too. By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners. CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio. I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

What options are there for the A7R in the 24mm range that isnt affected by vignetting?

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 with the novoflex adapter but I'm curious what options there are with other adapters along with this 1 (M mount) if there are any.

I use the Canon FDn 24mm f2. Excellent, but I use it only because I've owned it since the late 1980s/early 1990s (don't remember when). Quite good, but I cover 28mm f3.5 with my A7 kit lens. I use a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro as my main wide lens - when I shoot wide, I want really wide.

Mel - how do you like that Tokina? I know Ken Rockwell likes it and his sample images are quite good. But then, he's not used it on an A7.

I have used it on the A7 for just a few shots, under the worst possible setting last week - ISO 2000 at a badly lit bowling alley. Below is one:

Because people on the edges of the frame were moving, and the shutter speed was really low, even for a wide angle, look at the static people, chalkboard etc. I think under landscape settings, it will be very good.

It is not a cheap lens - I saw them going for around $400 on eBay. And make sure no one crapped up the AF/MF clutch - a lot of people didn't know how to use it and forced it. It should make a definite "clunk" as it switches mode.

Also - you MUST use a thin B&W or other polarizing filter on it, and most lens shades will vignette on it. I lost mine and have had difficulty finding one that doesn't vignette full frame

Real bowling!

I really like it's angle of view and I could swear that it's lacking much distortion.

I do notice some CAs being coaxed out that light in the upper right - is this typical, or is it more noticeable on the A7?

Amazing you noted the absence of distortion - my girlfriend, who's traveled with me for 10 years, mad the same observation vs. my Tokina 11-16 on my D7000, and the 16mm/UWA on my NEX-6.

You are right on both scores - the lens is low in distortion, but wide open, has CA, mostly on the right side. I was in a hurry to upload the bowling (and other) images from her birthday party last week, and because the lens was "new to me"on FF, I didn't think to look for it.

Here's one from today, shot at f5.6. The only lens test I saw was one on photozone.de on an APS-C, and they observed that f5.6 was the sweet spot, with low drop off at smaller f-stops

Glueing room at Schwabb Mill, Arlington MA antique frame factory

The performance of this lens, plus its ability to take a polarizing filter (albeit 77mm) means I am not likely to buy the Samyang 14mm very quickly. I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

The absence of distortion is exciting for my cathedral/synagogue/mosque interiors, which I love. It also means I can shoot people all the way to the corners of my 17mm, which I could not do with my 11-16mm Tokina, which distorts worse than my 16mm/UWA (which is why that zoom will go up for sale soon)

I really like it! Thanks for sharing!

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Last one I'll post, again Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8

Tim Devine wrote:

Sony a7R
Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
1/3 @ f/11 (ISO 100)

-Tim

Very nice!  I am interested in some FD L primes as they are much cheaper than EF counterparts.

One question, if the Metabones EF-E III adapter also works with FD lenses or need a different adapter?

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Tim Devine
Like?
Re: Last one I'll post, again Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
In reply to qianp2k, 4 months ago

Nope, you need an FD to E adapter, I think Metabones makes one though.  I'm using the CIECIO7 adapter from eBay (shipped from Poland, so it took a little while.)

-Tim

qianp2k wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

Sony a7R
Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
1/3 @ f/11 (ISO 100)

-Tim

Very nice! I am interested in some FD L primes as they are much cheaper than EF counterparts.

One question, if the Metabones EF-E III adapter also works with FD lenses or need a different adapter?

Mel Snyder
Like?
I like your perspective: "... a lot of fun for around $70."

seachicken2000 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures, but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11. From the two samples posted, they seem near-perfect stopped down, even on an A7r ... a lot of fun for around $70.

Pin sharp on a NEX-7 is also promising, as the lens should comfortably double up as a 35mm (equiv) lens in APS-C crop mode on an A7r. Quite useful.

-- hide signature --

There is too much emphasis here on expensive lenses for the A7/r. Yes, it's nice to have the best, but there are plenty of inexpensive old lenses that work really well.

I discovered a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-f4 that now sells for under $70 is GREAT, and I recently bought a mint Canon FD 100-300mm f5.6 for $49 that also is wonderful.

Using old lenses on an A7/r is very, very satisfying!

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Lightshow
Like?
Re: I like your perspective: "... a lot of fun for around $70."

Mel Snyder wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

Lightshow wrote:

Well I'm very impressed by both samples from the Canon FD's on this thread. I am guessing they don't do so well at wider apertures, but it wouldn't much matter to me as I am almost always using wide angles at around f/8~f/11. From the two samples posted, they seem near-perfect stopped down, even on an A7r ... a lot of fun for around $70.

-- hide signature --

There is too much emphasis here on expensive lenses for the A7/r.

Maybe, but to extract the last ounce of IQ corner to corner from the camera you do need the best lenses.

Yes, it's nice to have the best,

It really is, it gives me goosebumps when I nail a shot with a super high quality lens.

but there are plenty of inexpensive old lenses that work really well.

Indeed there are, some macro lenses are wonderful on the A7r...

I discovered a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8-f4 that now sells for under $70 is GREAT, and I recently bought a mint Canon FD 100-300mm f5.6 for $49 that also is wonderful.

Using old lenses on an A7/r is very, very satisfying!

Yes it is!

rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,217Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 4 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

I've always liked the older version of that lens, the RMC - it's pretty good, easily fetched because they made it in so many different mounts.  it also works very well in IR.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, 4 months ago

Lightshow wrote:

better than you'd think, my SSC 24/2.8 & 24/1.4 are both sharp wide open, the corners improve as you stop down

The 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 85/1.8 are nearly the same size, they make a very nice trio.

The images in this thread have convinced me to join the Canon FD club, in spite of my inherent bias towards Super Takumars.

A 24mm f/2.8 S.S.C. blacknose is on its way, and I've got my eye on the 35mm f/2.8 FDn, which can be had for $50 or so, it's just 155g and in VBL's tests actually outresolved the FE Zeiss.

Quite excited to find out what the 24mm S.S.C. can do...

-- hide signature --

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Grafix Inredning
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?

Mel Snyder wrote:

I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

Yep, mine will too, if it's any good. I shoot mostly shop interiors using a tripod and 24-25mm is where I shoot most pictures. I've been looking for a good 24-25mm alternative for the A7, but there's no alternative that stands out.

I have a Sony E 10-18 that is a great perfomer on a Nex, but I find it a little limited on a A7. Too much distortion, sure that can be fixed with a custom Lightroom profile, but it leads to resampling and cropping and the corners are/get a bit soft/smeared.

Prices for good legacy lenses are too high, a Leica R 24/2.8 costs over 400 euro, Contax 25mm the same, Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 around 300 euro (but seems to be more rare). The best price/performance seems to be canon Fd(n), 100-200 euro for the 24/2.8 but the excellent F2 version is hard to find and more expensive. Since I don't have to pay VAT, a NEW Zeiss Distagon ZF.2 25mm and Biogon ZM 25mm are "only" about 700 euro. I'd rather buy a new Zeiss for 700 euro with warranty than an old Contax/Leica of unknown quality.

One of the reason that I sold the DSLR and bought the A7 was size, that's why I'm considering the Zeiss ZM Biogon 25/2.8 instead of the larger Distagon 25mm. Also, the Distagon is not one of Zeiss's better lenses but the Biogon is considered one of the best and probably easier to sell when something better emerges. If anyone have tried the Zeiss ZM 25/2,8 on A7/A7r, please share your experiences (and pics)!

Since I shoot on a tripod and stopped down, corner smearing and tinting does not seem such a big problem, not from the samples I've found:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=54167241@N02&q=a7%20biogon%2025mm

https://flic.kr/p/iLKJku

Grafix Inredning's gear list:Grafix Inredning's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Mel Snyder
Like?
In reply to Grafix Inredning, 4 months ago

Grafix Inredning wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

I will wait till Sony introduces the reputed 16-35mm, which - if as good as I hope - could be welded to my A7

Yep, mine will too, if it's any good. I shoot mostly shop interiors using a tripod and 24-25mm is where I shoot most pictures. I've been looking for a good 24-25mm alternative for the A7, but there's no alternative that stands out.

I have a Sony E 10-18 that is a great perfomer on a Nex, but I find it a little limited on a A7. Too much distortion, sure that can be fixed with a custom Lightroom profile, but it leads to resampling and cropping and the corners are/get a bit soft/smeared.

Prices for good legacy lenses are too high, a Leica R 24/2.8 costs over 400 euro, Contax 25mm the same, Minolta Rokkor 24/2.8 around 300 euro (but seems to be more rare). The best price/performance seems to be canon Fd(n), 100-200 euro for the 24/2.8 but the excellent F2 version is hard to find and more expensive. Since I don't have to pay VAT, a NEW Zeiss Distagon ZF.2 25mm and Biogon ZM 25mm are "only" about 700 euro. I'd rather buy a new Zeiss for 700 euro with warranty than an old Contax/Leica of unknown quality.

One of the reason that I sold the DSLR and bought the A7 was size, that's why I'm considering the Zeiss ZM Biogon 25/2.8 instead of the larger Distagon 25mm. Also, the Distagon is not one of Zeiss's better lenses but the Biogon is considered one of the best and probably easier to sell when something better emerges. If anyone have tried the Zeiss ZM 25/2,8 on A7/A7r, please share your experiences (and pics)!

Since I shoot on a tripod and stopped down, corner smearing and tinting does not seem such a big problem, not from the samples I've found:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=54167241@N02&q=a7%20biogon%2025mm

https://flic.kr/p/iLKJku

Have you tried putting any wide angle Biogon on your A7?

I own a Russian knockoff LTM-mount 35mm f3.5 Biogon design that I couldn't use on my NEX-6 because the rear element hits the baffle. There's no baffle in the A7, but that non-retrofocus rear element would be VERY close to the sensor and, I would think, cause the problems cited for similar non-retrofocus RF lenses on the A7/r.

I do own the Canon FDn 24mm f2 - owned it since new for use on my T90 and F1 for shooting in operating rooms back in the film era. It's very sharp but, with adapter, pretty big and heavy for travel. The one "big and heavy" slot in my travel is already spoken for by my 17mm Tokina (see example in this thread).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads