Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
newyorkcity
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
9 months ago

What options are there for the A7R in the 24mm range that isnt affected by vignetting?

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 with the novoflex adapter but I'm curious what options there are with other adapters along with this 1 (M mount) if there are any.

newyorkcity's gear list:newyorkcity's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +1 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7R: What options for 24mm?
In reply to newyorkcity, 9 months ago

I'm shooting a Canon 24mm IS USM and it works spectacularly well. I got mine for a little over $400.

If I were to recomment an adapter, I would have to recommend the RJ Camera EF to FE mount. I've had too much trouble with Metabones. Cost is about $250 if I recall correctly, so less than the metabones adapter, and less than the novoflex M as well. And, you get AF, IS, and aperture control though the camera.

Combo is about the same size as the 55mm FE lens.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?

newyorkcity wrote:

What options are there for the A7R in the 24mm range that isnt affected by vignetting?

Here's a few ideas:

AF:

• Sony Zeiss 24mm f/2 (I reckon this is one of the the best options if size/cost are not issues)
  • Minolta 24mm f/2.8
  • Sigma Super Wide II 24mm f/2.8 (cheap and looks quite decent)
  • A good copy of the Zeiss 24-70mm

MF:

• Samyang 24mm f/1.4
  • Olympus OM 24mm f/2 or f/2.8 (quite small)
  • Nikon AIS 24mm f/2.8

Edit: and the Canon 24mm IS mentioned above is also an excellent idea, better than most if not all of mine

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,489Gear list
Like?

newyorkcity wrote:

I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 with the novoflex adapter but I'm curious what options there are with other adapters along with this 1 (M mount) if there are any.

There are many options, it depends on your budget.

I am using an OM 24mm/f2.8 SLR lens that works fine - it does not vignette (on the A7).

I am using this on a shift-adapter. The first image is shifted (and you see some vignetting creeping in), the second image is not shifted, and does not vignette.

As price/performance goes, this lens is a little gem on the A7.

A7 w/ OM24 and lens shifted

A7 with OM24 and not shifted

A7 with OM24 and not shifted

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?

How fast of a lens are you looking for, and at what aperture do you expect vignetting to be gone?

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well.  Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too.  By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners.  CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio.  I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
NomadMark
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 9 months ago

newyorkcity wrote:

Here's a few ideas:

AF:

• Sony Zeiss 24mm f/2 (I reckon this is one of the the best options if size/cost are not issues)
  • Minolta 24mm f/2.8

MF:

• Samyang 24mm f/1.4
  • Nikon AIS 24mm f/2.8

Edit: and the Canon 24mm IS mentioned above is also an excellent idea, better than most if not all of mine

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

I wondered too about the zeiss 24 with Sony adapter. The canon combo is much cheaper, and has incredibly useful IS but the zeiss has fast AF! I wish I had one to test out...

Meanwhile...if money is no object...the 24mm ts-e would be my pick!

Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 9 months ago

seachicken2000 wrote:

newyorkcity wrote:

Here's a few ideas:

AF:

It's a fabulous lens. Here's hoping they size it and re-package it for native FE mount.

• Minolta 24mm f/2.8

MF:

• Samyang 24mm f/1.4
  • Nikon AIS 24mm f/2.8

+1 on the Nikon 24mm. If you're going for light, of course you would look at Pentax M or Olympus OM. But I'd be surprised if they're as good as the Nikon.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim Devine, 9 months ago

Tim Devine wrote:

How fast of a lens are you looking for, and at what aperture do you expect vignetting to be gone?

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well. Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too. By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners. CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio. I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

I use the Canon FDn 24mm f2. Excellent, but I use it only because I've owned it since the late 1980s/early 1990s (don't remember when). Quite good, but I cover 28mm f3.5 with my A7 kit lens. I use a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro as my main wide lens - when I shoot wide, I want really wide.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
stevo23
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 9 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

newyorkcity wrote:

I am using an OM 24mm/f2.8 SLR lens that works fine - it does not vignette (on the A7).

I am using this on a shift-adapter. The first image is shifted (and you see some vignetting creeping in), the second image is not shifted, and does not vignette.

Loving that shift! I'm gonna get one. Which one are you using?

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,489Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

newyorkcity wrote:

Loving that shift! I'm gonna get one. Which one are you using?

I use the Kipon shift OM-Nex adapter

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Canon FDn 24mm Sample

Sony a7R
Canon FDn 24mm f/2.8
1/80 @ f/11 (ISO 100)

-Tim

Tim Devine wrote:

The Canon FDn 24 f/2.8 performs surprisingly well. Vignetting is pretty much gone at f/5.6, corners are pretty good too. By f/8 and f/11 it's pretty much sharp all the way into the deep corners. CA has to be dealt with, but I consider it an amazing bargain given its price/performance ratio. I'm using the CIECIO7 FD to E adapter.

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +13 more
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 619
Like?
Re: Canon FDn 24mm Sample

Quite impressive ! there are a little distortion on the shimneys. But sharpness is really good.

stevo23
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 9 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

-Tim

newyorkcity wrote:

I use the Canon FDn 24mm f2. Excellent, but I use it only because I've owned it since the late 1980s/early 1990s (don't remember when). Quite good, but I cover 28mm f3.5 with my A7 kit lens. I use a 17mm f3.5 Tokina AT-X Pro as my main wide lens - when I shoot wide, I want really wide.

Mel - how do you like that Tokina? I know Ken Rockwell likes it and his sample images are quite good. But then, he's not used it on an A7.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,625
Like?

I use an Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 mounted with a Novoflex NEX/LER mount adapter. Very nice imaging.

-- hide signature --
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

At this moment I use Canon 24-70L/2.8 II on A7R thru Metabones III adapter. It makes sense to me as shared with 5D3. It works great and I used lots in my recent central EU trip. I only posted a few photos in the link below and tons of others to be processed. Photos in EXIF shown as 24-70/2.8 OSS is from 24-70L II, 70-200/4.0 OSS is from 70-200L/4.0 IS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55485085@N04/sets/72157642018613634/

I probably will not buy FE 24-70/4.0 OSS as it doesn't perform well enough at 24mm and 70mm, the two ends I use most with 24-70 zoom. I will wait the rumored FE 16-35/4.0 OSS. Will acquire it if it's good enough. Then I'd have a dream travelling setup - FE 16-35/4.0 OSS, FE 55/1.8 (plan to buy), FE 70-200/4.0 OSS (that should be excellent on spec, and guess will edge out 70-200L/4.0 IS which itself is a stellar zoom although a bit heavier/larger). I can live with gaps between 35-55mm and 55-70mm by moving my feet.

Prague Old Town Square from 24-70L/2.8 II thru Metabones III adapter on A7R @24mm

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?

I am using the aforementioned Canon 24 f2.8 with the Metabones III, as recommended by forum users. This is the sharpest option per DxO and I have done some testing to verify the corners. It is reasonably light since the lens is mostly plastic. Nice to have IS and somewhat usable AF although manual focus is quite fast. I haven't had a chance to get out to do some real world landscapes yet.

The Zeiss Biogon 25mm zf.2 or ze is another option. It is quite a bit heavier since it has the typical Zeiss construction, works well on the MBIII so you get aperture control with the Canon version. DxO rates this as not quite as sharp.

both of these options will require CA fixes in post but that's pretty easy with LR.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to JeffGo, 9 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

I am using the aforementioned Canon 24 f2.8 with the Metabones III, as recommended by forum users. This is the sharpest option per DxO and I have done some testing to verify the corners. It is reasonably light since the lens is mostly plastic. Nice to have IS and somewhat usable AF although manual focus is quite fast. I haven't had a chance to get out to do some real world landscapes yet.

According to DXO test 24-70L II pretty much has the same sharpness of 24/2.8 IS @24mm but it's zoom with flexibility to use any FL till 70mm although it's relative big/heavy.

24-70L II on A7R @70mm, Prague, Czech Republic

24-70L II on A7R @33mm, Budapest, Hungary

24-70L II CA is very well-controlled but has some vignetting at wide open that can be fixed easily.

The Zeiss Biogon 25mm zf.2 or ze is another option. It is quite a bit heavier since it has the typical Zeiss construction, works well on the MBIII so you get aperture control with the Canon version. DxO rates this as not quite as sharp.

both of these options will require CA fixes in post but that's pretty easy with LR.

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration.  On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
NomadMark
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 9 months ago

JeffGo wrote:

According to DXO test 24-70L II pretty much has the same sharpness of 24/2.8 IS @24mm but it's zoom with flexibility to use any FL till 70mm although it's relative big/heavy.

24-70L II on A7R @70mm, Prague, Czech Republic

24-70L II on A7R @33mm, Budapest, Hungary

24-70L II CA is very well-controlled but has some vignetting at wide open that can be fixed easily.

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration.  On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

I can pretty consistently shoot sharp shots on my 24 is usm at shutter speeds of 1/3.

JeffGo
Contributing MemberPosts: 687Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 9 months ago

Yes, I guess the 24-70II is another option. But 280 vs 805g is a huge difference on a 407g camera - are you using the battery grip? Not to mention $2300 vs $600.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, 9 months ago

NomadMark wrote:

One thing I am trying to know is that if there is IS/VR/OSS compromise with A7R due to shutter vibration. On my own experience, it's pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS @200mm for example but much less with 35/2.0 IS.

I can pretty consistently shoot sharp shots on my 24 is usm at shutter speeds of 1/3.

That's very good. It's widely reported such compromises more impact on tele lenses at FL 100mm or longer. With 35/2.0 IS, I can get consistent per-pixel photos at 1/6 sec with 5D3 thru LV (aka, FEC), at 1/15 at pixel-level with A7R thru adapter which is not bad considering A7R has more pixels than 5D3 and it doesn't have FEC. But the shutter vibration is pretty obvious with 70-200L/4.0 IS and I also have read others said similarly. With 5D3 LV, I can get consistent pixel-level sharp photos with 70-200L/4.0 IS at 1/40 or even 1/30 sec @200mm but I am struggling at 1/80 sec or even 1/100 sec with the same lens on A7R thru adapter @200mm. The difference is very obvious. I am really interested to see owners' experiences of forthcoming 70-200/4.0 OSS on A7R hand-held, the difference between A7 and A7R regarding functionality of 'OSS' with former has EFC and latter without.  I hope Sony native 'OSS' performs much better on A7R/A7 than IS/VR thru adapters.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads