A6000 Europe Price

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Newgumshoe
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
A6000 Europe Price
7 months ago

Spoiler alert - this is a moan

I am so sick of this - A6000 body $648 = £390. Best price I can find in the UK (and Europe) is £589. I know that includes VAT at 20% but I assume the US price includes some sort of sales tax?

I'd get a relative to buy for me but of course, the guarantee could be an issue if there was a fault. Also, I wanted the silver but the US sites only appear to be selling the black.

I just don't see why the same camera costs over £150 more in Europe.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 Europe Price
In reply to Newgumshoe, 7 months ago

US has no national sales tax any state based tax (not all states have one) is applied on top of the purchase (not hidden like VAT).

As for the rest I don't know.  I've heard the European markup is usually part operations cost and part mandated warranties/return policies.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Habs Fan27
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?

You think that's good, it goes for $650 here in Canada which is £352.  The Canadian price does not include sales tax which is 13 % were I live.

CEfan
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

I suspect the price difference is not so great as it first seems.

A very brief, likely error filled primer.

Sales tax in the USA is a very local issue.

Many states have a statewide level of sales tax (ie 5%) and then local counties and cities each can add on top of that. In many cities a special tax is placed on new developments that goes to pay for the improvements required to build the area. In some states these taxes are on everything including groceries, in others, only general merchandise. None of these taxes go specifically for any one thing, and are divided up by the respective state/city etc.

For example, you might have a 5% state sales tax, a 1% county sales tax, a 2% city sales tax, and a 1.5% local development sales tax. When you check out you see Sales Tax at 9.5%.

Most Social Programs are paid for with other separate taxes, some specific, some not. (social security tax on income, medicare tax on income, general income tax)

CEfan's gear list:CEfan's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
andywest
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to CEfan, 7 months ago

Yeah hate it too.^^ They are keeping the absolute number and changing the currency symbol from $ to €. ta-da we "calculated" the sale-price in europe.

Habs Fan27 wrote:

You think that's good, it goes for $650 here in Canada which is £352. The Canadian price does not include sales tax which is 13 % were I live.

CEfan wrote:

I suspect the price difference is not so great as it first seems.

650$ *1,13( 13% tax) = 734,5$

590£ = 980$

in germany: 650€ = 900$

still quite a huge difference. :'(

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
You're not alone

I had a similar moan a few weeks ago:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3626619

It's annoying that's for sure!

Not desperate so I'm waiting for the camera to be more readily available in case competition drives the price down a bit. Either that or I'll go for a lightly used camera in a few months time.

It's usually not worth buying from outside the EU as import charges (VAT, handling fees, brokerage charges etc) can get expensive not to mention possible compatibility, language and warranty issues to consider. Apparently, there are often good savings to be had by buying from France; might be worth investigating.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Price is increasing in Switzerland

Newgumshoe wrote:

I am so sick of this - A6000 body $648 = £390. Best price I can find in the UK (and Europe) is £589. I know that includes VAT at 20% but I assume the US price includes some sort of sales tax?

I'd get a relative to buy for me but of course, the guarantee could be an issue if there was a fault. Also, I wanted the silver but the US sites only appear to be selling the black.

I looked a couple of weeks ago and the best pre-order price was CHF620, then last week it was CHF650 and now it is CHF670 with the more 'normal' cheap internet sellers wanting between CHF720 and CHF735.  Sales tax in Switzerland is 8%.  CHF1 = USD1.14 so we are looking at about $110 to $125 more than US price when Tax and exchange rate is taken into account ie. about 18% more expensive

We have no silver version in Switzerland either at the moment

I wasn't going to rush to buy it anyway...  and it if doesn't have a level guage I may give it a miss altogether

If you find the price too high then simply don't buy it.  Sony are making a lot of marketing mistakes at the moment - both in terms of information supplied to customers and pricing ($100 pre-release price drop on A5000).  Sadly the only way they will learn to sharpen-up their act is if they see sales failing to meet expectations

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
Re: Price is increasing in Switzerland
In reply to parallaxproblem, 7 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

If you find the price too high then simply don't buy it. Sony are making a lot of marketing mistakes at the moment - both in terms of information supplied to customers and pricing ($100 pre-release price drop on A5000). Sadly the only way they will learn to sharpen-up their act is if they see sales failing to meet expectations

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

UK price still looks like a bargain here, but that's only because all cameras/gadgets are more expensive here!

If it wasn't so easy to check international prices it would look cheap for what it seems to offer. Trouble is, as a regular visitor to DPR, the $ price is often quoted - then the UK price starts to look expensive.

It's not a Sony problem - electronics across the board are more expensive in the UK. There are reasons for this but none seem to explain the extent of the gulf in prices between us and the US.

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

I looked a couple of weeks ago and the best pre-order price was CHF620, then last week it was CHF650 and now it is CHF670 with the more 'normal' cheap internet sellers wanting between CHF720 and CHF735. Sales tax in Switzerland is 8%. CHF1 = USD1.14 so we are looking at about $110 to $125 more than US price when Tax and exchange rate is taken into account ie. about 18% more expensive

Yeah ... you should be glad.

That's the country where even low wage jobs often have minimum salaries of CHF 4000 per month. That is 3300 euros.

In other countries (Germany, Austria) the same jobs pay half as much.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Dimac
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, 7 months ago

Different market as well. US market is still a challenge for CSC, DSLR most wanted, it only works with a better price.

PorscheDoc
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to CEfan, 7 months ago

CEfan wrote:

...Sales tax in the USA is a very local issue...

Some states such as NH have no sales tax and if internet sales have no sales tax unless the dealer has a physical presence in your home state. Fortunately for me, i do not live in NY buy from BHPhoto with no sales tax (my A7r w. 55f1.8 just came in).

darkdirtydwarf
Contributing MemberPosts: 782Gear list
Like?
Re: You're not alone
In reply to SimonOL, 7 months ago

SimonOL wrote:

Apparently, there are often good savings to be had by buying from France; might be worth investigating.

I can confirm this. I usually check amazon.fr and once in a while something pops up.

For example I bought a HVLF60M in December for 100 Euro less than the average online price in Europe. Famous was the A7 price last month, about 200 Euro less than anywhere else.

darkdirtydwarf's gear list:darkdirtydwarf's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,841Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkdirtydwarf, 7 months ago

Prices are higher in the UK because buyers here seem willing to be ripped off , it really as  simple as that !

Gimble
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, 7 months ago

The cheapest place to buy the Sony A6000 in the UK at the moment is the Sony website.

Body only price is £549. Plus if you purchase through TopCashback you get an additional 6.3% cashback. The cashback is almost £29, bringing the net price down to £521.

Once you add on the 20% VAT that we pay in the UK, that price isn't too far off the Amazon US price of $648 . $648 x 1.2 is approximately £485.

The cheapest deal I have seen was Jessops when they first listed the A6000. They listed the twin lens kit (with the 16-50mm and the 55-210mm) at the same price as the single kit lens - £649. They changed their price after a few ours. I was tempted to order one but assumed they would probably just cancel the order before I received it.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,318
Like?
In reply to ryan92084, 7 months ago

ryan92084 wrote:

US has no national sales tax any state based tax (not all states have one) is applied on top of the purchase (not hidden like VAT).

I'd say that was the other way round.
State sales tax is always applied on top of the quoted price, UK prices include VAT - it is not "hidden."

As for the rest I don't know. I've heard the European markup is usually part operations cost and part mandated warranties/return policies.

I've seen it said that manufacturers charge more in Europe simply because the market will bear it.
Something to do with higher disposable income I believe.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,318
Like?

Newgumshoe wrote:

As far as I know the A6000 is not yet available in the UK, so prices are not necessarily established.
Historically, when a new model is introduced the price is artificially high to make a killing from the "must have the latest thing" crowd.
The price usually falls to a more sustainable level after 4-6 months.
According to the "Camera Pricebuster" web site , the NEX6 body was £700 when it was first introduced (Sept 2012) which is way above the current suggested price for the A6000. After 7 months the NEX6 had fallen to around £500 (summer 2013 onwards), which probably represents a median price, and not much lower than the current notional price for the A6000.
Now it is discontinued the NEX6 body can be found for under £400.

Since Sony introduce new models with such frequency, why not wait until the A6000 is replaced in about 18 months time, and snap up a "discontinued" bargain?

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,677
Like?

I worked out for the Canon G1X MkII in the UK allowing for VAT the surcharge in the UK is 40% comparing Amazon US and UK prices which where $1-$1 prices assuming no Tax in the US and 20% in UK. If the US price included Tax that would increase the 40%.

On the whole Sony are better than most but they are all at it. US probably has built up a lot of price resistance to products and once the consumers start to squeeze the manufacturers it is difficult for them to break out of the cycle. Nikon did the worst pricing when the £ price on the recommended price was higher than the $ pricefor a P7xxx.

I expect it is good for the Far East manufacturers as they can service a high turnover/low margin business in the US and a low turnover/high margin business in Europe which probably hedges sales fluctuations in both these massively indebted economic zones.

parallaxproblem wrote:

I looked a couple of weeks ago and the best pre-order price was CHF620, then last week it was CHF650 and now it is CHF670 with the more 'normal' cheap internet sellers wanting between CHF720 and CHF735. Sales tax in Switzerland is 8%. CHF1 = USD1.14 so we are looking at about $110 to $125 more than US price when Tax and exchange rate is taken into account ie. about 18% more expensive

Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,192Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 7 months ago

MisterBG wrote:

Newgumshoe wrote:

As far as I know the A6000 is not yet available in the UK, so prices are not necessarily established.
Historically, when a new model is introduced the price is artificially high to make a killing from the "must have the latest thing" crowd.
The price usually falls to a more sustainable level after 4-6 months.
According to the "Camera Pricebuster" web site , the NEX6 body was £700 when it was first introduced (Sept 2012) which is way above the current suggested price for the A6000. After 7 months the NEX6 had fallen to around £500 (summer 2013 onwards), which probably represents a median price, and not much lower than the current notional price for the A6000.
Now it is discontinued the NEX6 body can be found for under £400.

Since Sony introduce new models with such frequency, why not wait until the A6000 is replaced in about 18 months time, and snap up a "discontinued" bargain?

That's a useful site. You can track how the prices are coming down on another recent Sony camera that's in roughly the same price bracket as the A6k+lens, the RX10: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Sony/Sony-Compact-Cameras/Sony-Cyber-shot-RX10

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
TigerDude
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Newgumshoe, 4 months ago

The price in Canada is $750 + 13% Tax comes to around $848 after tax.

Don't think the american price that you mentioned includes tax. Although that price has already dropped by $50 since your post 3 months ago.

meneldor
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to TigerDude, 4 months ago

Guys, here in Bulgaria where the average monthly wage is 600$ roughly A6000+16-50 kit is 1145$...

So there is always a worse place

meneldor's gear list:meneldor's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads